UFC Targeting February 26, 2012, at Saitama Super Arena for Japan Show
Just last week, UFC president Dana White mentioned that the UFC would be heading to Japan sooner rather than later.
Now it appears the promotion has targeted a tentative date and venue.
According to sources speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday, UFC officials are looking at a Feb. 26, 2012, date in Japan with the show currently targeted for the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama.
While the venue has been reserved by agencies working with Zuffa in Japan, this is still just the preliminary location they are focusing on for a return to Japan. Other venues and locations are being looked at, but Saitama Super Arena is currently the most likely landing spot.
Urijah Faber Feels He Earned The Win At UFC 132
The fight was everything you could want from a championship bout, both men came to throw down, never gave up ground and never let the other hold much of an appreciable lead for long. It was thrilling and they were both rightly awarded the Fight of the Night bonus, but, though he has a fatter wallet and plenty to be proud of, Faber still believes his name should have been read the victor when the judges rendered their decision.
Chael Sonnen Doesn't Want To Be The Next Man To KO Wanderlei Silva
Helwani asked Sonnen if he was surprised by the quick finish and Sonnen took the opportunity to get at least one more verbal jab in at Silva's expense.
"Yeah," responded Sonnen. "The only guy that would have finished him quicker was me. …Wanderlei is going to need to do something else. I don't have any interest in getting in there with him. I don't want to be the next guy to force him to have a flashlight shined in his eyes."
Ortiz Calls Out Griffin Following UFC 132 Triumph
Tito Ortiz pulled his professional career off of life support Saturday night by submitting young gun Ryan Bader with a first-round guillotine choke at UFC 132.
Following the triumph at the MGM Granden Arena in Las Vegas, an exuberant Ortiz called out a familiar foe as the man he would like to face in his next Octagon appearance. Though “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” would also like a shot at redemption against Rashad Evans in the future, Ortiz first wants a rematch with another former champ: Forrest Griffin.
UFC brass says Demetrious Johnson could take title shot over Brian Bowles
LAS VEGAS – It's the inevitable question that surfaces each and every time a UFC champion wraps a belt around his waist: What's next?
And so it was for Dominick Cruz (18-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) following his UFC 132 victory former WEC featherweight champ Urijah Faber.
Many MMA pundits pointed to former WEC champ Brian Bowles (10-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) as the leading candidate to snag the next shot at the 135-pound belt, but UFC brass said that's not necessarily the case.
UFC boss says Condit one of the divisions best, "Natural Born Killer" not waiting for title shot
LAS VEGAS – With his second-straight "Knockout of the Night" victory, former WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit (26-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) is quickly becoming a top contender in the UFC's 170-pound division.
Saturday night's UFC 132 event featured a host of incredible knockout victories, but UFC president Dana White deemed Condit's first-round finish of Dong Hyun Kim the best of the bunch, awarding him the bonus and declaring him "one of the best 170-pounders in the world."
But with UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre not scheduled to defend his title until late October, Condit isn't interesting in sitting around waiting for a title shot. Instead, he wants to get back in the octagon and cement his position in the division.
White supports Siver's UFC 132 win; Bieber, Fertitta felt Wiman rightful victor
LAS VEGAS – It just wouldn't be a UFC pay-per-view event if we didn't get to enjoy at least one hotly contested decision, right?
At Saturday night's UFC 132 event in Las Vegas, that honor fell to Dennis Siver (19-7 MMA, 8-4 UFC) and Matt Wiman (13-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC), who battled toe-to-toe for 15 minutes in a back-and-forth affair.
All three judges ultimately awarded the victory to Siver, and UFC president Dana White said after the event that he agreed with the call. However, White admitted UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta – not to mention mop-haired teen pop star Justin Bieber – believe Wiman may have been jobbed.
UFC 132 bonuses: Condit, Ortiz, Cruz and Faber get $75,000 awards
LAS VEGAS – Tito Ortiz, Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber each earned $75,000 "Fight Night" bonuses for their performances at Saturday's "UFC 132: Cruz vs. Faber II" event.
Condit earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" award, Ortiz picked up the "Submission of the Night" bonus, and Cruz and Faber took home "Fight of the Night" honors.
Famed Former Chute Boxe Coach Rafael Cordeiro Back with Wanderlei Silva
Master Rafael Cordeiro once lead one of the strongest contingents of Brazilian fighters in the world under the Chute Boxe banner in Brazil. Now operating his gym Kings MMA in California, Cordeiro is reuniting with some of the fighters that he once lead at Chute Boxe.
Notably, he has been working with former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva, preparing him for his UFC 132 fight on Saturday night against Chris Leben.
Cordeiro lead a magical time for Silva, along with the Rua brothers, Mauricio Shogun and Murilo Ninja, and numerous other fighters when they ruled the roost at Pride in Japan. Perhaps some of that magic is back as Cordeiro had Silva training alongside Shogun once again, as well as Fabricio Werdum and many other top tier fighters.
UFC 132 Weigh Ins
Weigh-ins for UFC 132: Cruz vs. Faber 2 will take place at 7 p.m. ET live from the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. Bloody Elbow will have live results and video after the jump.
Dominick Cruz makes his first defense of his UFC bantamweight belt against former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber. In the co-main event, Wanderlei Silva makes his long awaited return to fight TUF vanguard Chris Leben.
Bantamweight: Dominick Cruz (134) vs. Urijah Faber (135)
Middleweight: Wanderlei Silva (186) vs. Chris Leben (185)
Light Heavyweight: Tito Ortiz (205) vs. Ryan Bader (205)
Welterweight: Carlos Condit (170) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (171)
Lightweight: Dennis Siver (156) vs. Matt Wiman (156)
Spike TV Prelims
Lightweight: Melvin Guillard (155) vs. Shane Roller (155)
Lightweight: George Sotiropoulos (156) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (155)
Bantamweight: Brian Bowles (135) vs. Takeya Mizugaki (136)
Middleweight: Brad Tavares (186) vs. Aaron Simpson (185)
Lightweight: Anthony Njokuani (156) vs. Andre Winner (155)
Bantamweight: Jeff Hougland (135) vs. Donny Walker (135)
UFC to host event in Japan "this year"
LAS VEGAS – The UFC could make its long-awaited return to Japan this year.
UFC president Dana White today said that plans are moving forward for for the organization to promote a show in the country, which hasn't hosted a UFC event since UFC 29 way back in 2000.
"The rumor is true," said White, who couldn't given any exact details on a date or host venue. "We're going to come to Japan, and probably soon."
Just how soon?
"This year," he said.
White and other officials have long teased the possibility of an upcoming show in Japan, where four pre-Zuffa LLC events took place in Tokyo (twice), Chiba and Yokohama more than a decade ago. Until the past few years, the UFC largely ignored the region.
However, in 2009, the UFC amped up its efforts in Asia, signed new TV and Internet deals in Japan, and began serious recruiting of Japanese talent.
Kenny Florian responds to the accusation that his 'Hellbows' could be illegal
Kenny Florian made his 145-pound debut at UFC 131: "Dos Santos vs. Carwin" back on June 11 at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Also making its debut in "Hollywood North" were his patented "Hellbows," the razor-sharp elbow strikes that left a trail of leaky skulls throughout the lightweight division, most notably against Sean Sherk at UFC 64 and Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 13.
Diego Nunes joined that prestigious list in a unanimous decision loss to "KenFlo" earlier this month, enduring (among other things) a few shots to the dome courtesy of some Bostonian elbow grease.
Strikeforce releases Heavyweight Brett Rogers following arrest
LAS VEGAS – Strikeforce has released heavyweight fighter Brett Rogers.
Dana White, president of sister promotion UFC, confirmed the contract termination today following a UFC 132 press conference.
Rogers was arrested on Wednesday and charged with felonious third-degree assault and misdemeanor endangerment of a child following an alleged altercation with his wife.
White said the release came immediately after the arrest, which took place in Apple Valley, Minn.
Brett Rogers Arrested And Jailed For Domestic Abuse
Strikeforce heavyweight star Brett "Grim" Rogers has been arrested and jailed in connection with assaulting his wife Wednesday in their South Metro home in Apple Valley, Minnesota.
According to reports, Rogers wife was strangled, punched repeatedly in the head and face, and also lost a tooth in the struggle.
Kimbo Slice to make pro-boxing debut Aug. 13
Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson will make his pro-boxing debut on Aug. 13, officials announced.
He'll headline a four-round main event at Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Okla.
Neither an opponent nor broadcast details have not been announced for the show, which Gary Shaw Productions and Tony Holden Promotions is producing.