Cris Cyborg Unloads after Ronda Rousey Victory; Looking to Leave Strikeforce?
Strikeforce bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey kept her unbelievable unbeaten streak intact on Saturday night in San Diego, submitting No. 1 contender Sarah Kaufman with an armbar less than a minute into their bout.
As soon as the fight was over, the talk about a possible fight between Rousey and former Strikeforce 145-pound champion Cris Cyborg Santos hit a fever pitch. Even Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, who was asked about the hypothetical bout’s stature at Saturday’s post-fight press conference, said that, if it were to come together, it would be “one of the biggest fights in the history of mixed martial arts.”
It only took a matter of minutes, however, for Cyborg to throw talk of a fight with Rousey, and Cyborg’s own future with Strikeforce, into disarray.
She quickly took to her official Twitter account after the fight, according to Tatame reporter Guilherme Cruz, saying that she was awaiting her release from Zuffa since her weight class is no more. Cyborg apparently continued that she would look elsewhere for a promotion that has her 145-pound class, specifically mentioning Invicta FC in one tweet, although that tweet appears to have been deleted a short time later.
“Guys I have not changed my weight,” Cyborg responded. “I started where I am.”
There was, in fact, a women’s featherweight fight on Saturday night’s Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman fight card. Hiroko Yamanaka and Germaine de Randamie fought at 145 pounds in a preliminary bout.
“She must be misinformed,” Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told MMAWeekly.com’s Erik Fontanez. “I don’t understand why she’d be saying that since we just had a 145-pound fight on the card tonight.”
Perhaps it’s as simple as Cyborg feeling like she’s no longer wanted.
“I want to be respected as everyone wants to be,” Cyborg noted in one of her tweets.
Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey As Coaches On TUF? Tate All For It
Miesha Tate hopes that a win over Julie Kedzie can propel her right back into another shot at the Strikeforce bantamweight title that she once held. If, for some reason, a possible coaching position on The Ultimate Fighter also came with it, that would be fine with Tate.
Tate and Kedzie will highlight the prelim card for tonight's Strikeforce: Rousey Vs. Kaufman event on Showtime. The prelims air on Showtime Extreme from San Diego.
"I love it," said Tate, of coaching on TUF opposite Strikeforce bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, during a recent appearance on MMAWeekly Radio. "I think that would be the fight to put on it if they were going to do that. It doesn't get any better than Ronda and I; two ladies who honestly have a rival between each other."
Ian McCall Reps Reveal Details of His Arrest
According to [McCall's attorney George] Vargas:
In 2008, Ian was arrested for possession of prescription drugs without a prescription and paraphernalia. The paraphernalia was needles that he used to take the fluid out of his ears. Part of Ian’s punishment for that case was that he was to do 20 days of Cal Trans (physical labor).
The following year, Ian was having more troubles and he entered and completed a six-month residential drug treatment program at Nancy Clark’s The Recovery Center in Orange County. Ian completely turned his life around, began training hard and became the man he is today.
On June 14 of this year, Ian was pulled over for a traffic stop. He was given a ticket for PC14601 (driving on a suspended license). Ian’s license had been suspended for unpaid traffic and parking tickets.
The very next day, on June 15, Ian went to the Harbor Justice Center with his agent, and paid over $2,600 in fines. He mistakenly thought that the ticket from the previous day had been handled. A few weeks later, when the court date for that case came, Ian did not show and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
On Aug. 14, once again, Ian was stopped while driving home from the gym. At that time he was arrested for the two warrants: one for not completing the 20 days of Cal Trans work for the 2008 case, and the other for not showing up to court on the driving on a suspended license ticket that he had thought that he had handled.
Because McCall was on parole from previous charges and a warrant was issued in his name, the UFC flyweight must spend a mandatory time of 30 days in jail for his current arrest, according to his manager, Jason House of Iridium Sports.
McCall is scheduled for a Sept. 13 release date.
UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones Attempts To Clarify Recent Lyoto Machida Remarks
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones recently said that he didn't feel like a rematch with Lyoto Machida was in his best interest. Jones cited a lack of pay-per-view revenue as the reason.
Well, after seeing the backlash on Twitter revolving around his words, Jones decided to try and explain himself.
"This is a game that I love but its also a JOB," Jones wrote. "Some people just don't understand business and I'm not saying sorry that I do."
"I get punched one good time in a fight and people think I'm scared to rematch," Jones wrote, "haha I just can't win with some of you people.. funny."
Vitor Belfort joins the Blackzilians
Former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem posted a picture on Twitter Friday night of his dinner partner. That person was none other than Vitor Belfort, who appears to be joining the ranks of the Blackzilians with Overeem.
"Diner with my new Blackzilian teammate and old-Idol Vitor Belfort," Overeem wrote. "Welcome Vitor!"
Legacy FC 13 results: Derrick Lewis knocks out Jared Rosholt, claims heavyweight title
Heavyweight prospect Jared Rosholt (4-1) is undefeated no longer.
"The Big Show" was knocked cold in the second round by Derrick "The Black beast" Lewis (8-2), who claimed the vacant Legacy Fighting Championship heavyweight title in the process.
Derrick Lewis def. Jared Rosholt via knockout (punches) - Round 2, 4:49 to claim vacant heavyweight title
Sean Spencer def. Evan Cutts by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Chris Tickle def. Douglas Frey via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 1:03
Clayton Robinson def. Donnie Bell via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Steven Peterson def. Matt Hobar via TKO (injury) - Round 1, 4:04
Hayward Charles def. Russell Brewer via submission (armbar) Round 1, 0:56
Ryan Benoit def. Randy Villareal via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 1:35
Jon Jones doesn't want Machida rematch
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones told ESPN.com on Friday that he does not want to have a rematch with Lyoto Machida.
"I don't want to fight Lyoto Machida," Jones said. "He was my lowest pay-per-view draw of last year.
"No one wants to see me fight Lyoto Machida. I don't want to fight Lyoto again. Lyoto is high risk and low reward.
"He's a tough fighter, but no one wants to buy that fight.
"Between (Mauricio) Shogun (Rua), (Quinton) Rampage (Jackson) and Rashad (Evans), Lyoto was my lowest draw. Why would I want to fight someone where it's a lose-lose situation? "I won't make money on it. And he's a tricky fighter."
When asked if he will agree to fight Machida again if asked by UFC officials to do so, Jones was noncommittal.
"I don't even know," Jones said. "I don't know how to answer that right now."
Ian McCall arrested, released, on old warrant
UFC flyweight contender and beloved UGer Ian "Uncle Creepy" McCall has made no secret of his previous drug addicition, its attendant brushes with the law, and the role MMA has played in bringing him into sobriety and success.
Unfortunately, an unresolved incident from the past caught up with him.
Undercover Laguna Beach detectives and DEA agents were in Irvine this past Tuesday morning working on an investigation when they observed a man they recognized. A warrant check revealed that he was wanted.
Ian Gregory McCall, 28, Irvine was arrested without incident for two Harbor Court warrants for possession of narcotic paraphernalia, possession of prescription meds without a valid prescription, and driving on a suspended license. The warrants had a total bail of $16,500.
Police said the investigation there is ongoing and said only that McCall’s residence is within the area they were watching.
Strikeforce's Tarec Saffiedine feeds off Team Quest's energy for Roger Bowling fight
Tarec Saffiedine has a big fight coming up, but it isn't the biggest one on the radar screen for Team Quest.
That honor belongs to Dan Henderson, who fights Jon Jones for the UFC light heavyweight title in two weeks. But Saffiedine, a Henderson teammate and frequent training partner, is feeding off the positive vibes running through the Temecula, Calif.-based fight team.
Saffiedine fights Roger Bowling on Saturday at "Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman," and he hopes a convincing win might turn into a title shot of his own.
Phil Baldacci fighting to aid recovery of Team Alpha Male's Devin Johnson
When the body has nothing more to offer, the spirit still fights.
At its peak form, that is what MMA and combat sports offer spectators: the illustration of mind, heart and spirit to the masses.
In enduring tragedy, that is what Devin Johnson contributes to MMA. The Team Alpha Male representative was injured while sparring in May at Sacramento's Ultimate Fitness. On Saturday night, Phil Baldacci is donating his fight purse to the fighter's recovery fund.
Strikeforce's Coker: Rousey 'can't just be a marketing machine with a pretty face'
In one year, Ronda Rousey has taken the mixed martial arts world by the arm and given it a firm yank – literally.
The Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion already had built a quick reputation for fast finishes when she debuted with the promotion in August 2011. It took her only two armbar wins, 64 seconds and a little trash-talk to get a title shot.
Since winning the belt in March, Rousey has been the sport's next big thing.
'Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman' weigh-in results: Rousey (135), Kaufman (134) set
MMAjunkie.com was on scene and reporting live from today's official "Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman" fighter weigh-ins, where all 18 fighters made weight for the event.
Leading the way were Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, who registered 135 pounds, and former titleholder Sarah Kaufman, who stepped on the scales a 134 pounds.
The festivities take place at Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, the same venue that hosts Saturday's card.
New York Court Dismisses Part of Zuffa Lawsuit on Constitutionality of MMA Ban
In a ruling made earlier this week, United States District Judge Kimba M. Wood granted a motion to dismiss two counts that challenged the constitutionality of the law that prohibited mixed martial arts in New York back in 1997.
The lawsuit was originally filed by UFC parent company Zuffa last November.
The ruling, however, does not dismiss the entire suit, but only two of the seven counts made by Zuffa. Namely, the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses.
In making her ruling, Judge Wood found that the law had a rational basis when it was originally passed, and that even with past safety concerns addressed, the law is still rational today.
Manuwa vs Kingsbury & Nelson vs Krauss added to UFC on FUEL TV 5
Welcoming Nelson to the Octagon will be Pascal Krauss, who will look to bounce back from a loss in his last fight to John Hathaway in May.
Also added to the upcoming UFC on Fuel TV 5 card is a light heavyweight bout between undefeated British slugger Jimi Manuwa and former Ultimate Fighter competitor Kyle Kingsbury.
Despite reports, UFC boss says Cerrone vs. Pettis not booked for UFC on FOX 5
While it seems Donald Cerrone (19-4-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC), Anthony Pettis (15-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and MMA fans everywhere are excited for a potential "Cowboy" vs. "Showtime" fight, UFC officials said preliminary reports about the two fighting on FOX are premature.
"So [expletive] far from being the truth," UFC President Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
White declined to reveal when the promotion is targeting the much-discussed lightweight matchup but made it clear that an initial report released earlier today tying the two to UFC on FOX 5 is completely untrue
White also admitted he loved a potential matchup between the two vaunted strikers but declined to share the organization's current plans for the pair.
"I like it," White said. "It sounds like a great idea."
UFC inks tops European flyweight Phil Harris
The UFC has inked English flyweight Phil "Billy" Harris (21-9-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) to a multi-fight deal.
Harris' reps at Intensiti Fighter Management today confirmed the signing with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), though financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
A debut date and opponent are expected to be determined shortly, the fighter's reps confirmed.
The 28-year-old Harris joins the UFC's newest division, which was launched earlier this year. The 125-pound weight class soon will have a champion when Joseph Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson meet for the inaugural flyweight championship. The bout is the finale of a four-man tournament that launched in March.
Report: Early UFC 150 PPV buys estimated at 190,000
That's the very early number from longtime mixed martial arts (MMA) reporter Dave Meltzer, who released the preliminary estimates on his f4wonline website earlier today.
Very early numbers indicate about 190,000 North American buys (this is not a direct buy number or even a strong estimate but just a very preliminary figure). While nobody going in expected big numbers, that would still be below most expectations. As we always say, there is significant potential margin of error this early, but suffice to say this show probably did not do well. We'll have a better read on this in two weeks. It looks to be the lowest number for a PPV that came from North America since 2005.
UFC 150 produced "the worst gate since 2007" and never even made it in front of the DirecTV audience, after the global satellite giant "went down" and effectively eliminated a "huge number" of potential viewers.
Rumor: Donald Cerrone Vs. Anthony Pettis Number One Contender Bout Targeted For UFC On FOX 5
Another massive fight could be headed for the already loaded UFC on FOX 5 card scheduled for December 8th. According to Vigilante MMA, Donald Cerrone and Anthony Pettis will finally meet in a heavily anticipated fight between the former WEC stars, and it will be for the #1 contender slot in the ever-crowded 155 lbs division.
We’ve heard rumors and speculation, but a source has just confirmed to VigilanteMMA that Donald Cerrone and Anthony Pettis will be added to UFC on Fox 5—and it will be a number one contender’s fight. Not only is this event shaping up to be one huge show, but the added stipulation should create quite a buzz for the latest fight being added to the card.
We’ve also learned that the contract is now in the hands of Pettis for final approval. Although he apparently hasn’t signed it yet, Cerrone has already started pressuring Pettis to do so in quick fashion.