Joe Warren on controversial Bellator 41 win: "I have to leave it up to the judges"
If you have a problem with Joe Warren's controversial victory over Marcos Galvao at this past weekend's Bellator 41 event, take your complaints elsewhere.
Sure, he knows many fans are up in arms over the judges' controversial decision.
But at this point, it's out of his hands, and he'd rather focus on the positives of his performance.
Warren, a season-two tournament winner who defeated then-champ Joe Soto with his guaranteed title shot in September, topped Galvao via 30-27, 29-28 and 29-28 scores.
Following questionable loss, Marcos Galvao granted Bellator tourney spot
There is a silver lining to the highly controversial decision loss Marcos Galvao suffered to Joe Warren this past Saturday at Bellator 41. And it's more work.
The Brazilian bantamweight has secured a spot in the promotion's next 135-pound tournament, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
If all goes well for Galvao in the tournament, Rebney said, a rematch with Warren is an "absolute consideration" down the line.
Bellator 41 ratings: Event draws season-low 132,000 viewers on MTV2
This past weekend's Bellator 41 event drew a season-low 132,000 viewers on MTV2, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with an event source.
That marks a 39 percent ratings drop from Bellator 40. It's also 18,000 fewer viewers than Bellator 37, which previously held the season low with an audience of 150,000.
The April 16 event took place at Cocopah Resort and Casino in Yuma, Ariz.
Coker: No Discussion of Miller-Melendez Title Fight
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said Monday that a rumored matchup between Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez and UFC contender Jim Miller is just that: a rumor.
“There’s going to be a lot of rumors flying back and forth, around fights and what’s going to happen, but they’re not based on fact,” Coker said during a “Savage Dog Show” interview. “They’re just based on rumors and people just trying to start a story or keep legs on the story. The truth is there has not been any dialogue on that.”
However, Coker does believe his champion will eventually meet opposition from the UFC.
Source: Buentello Injured, Konrad Bout Off at Bellator 42
Paul Buentello has suffered a back injury and will not compete against Bellator heavyweight champion Cole Konrad on Saturday as originally anticipated.
According to a source close to the event, the bout will likely be rescheduled for a later date in 2011, once the UFC veteran's injury has healed. MMAJunkie.com first reported the change.
Bellator 42 goes down April 23 from the Lucky Star Casino in Concho, Okla., and will air live on MTV2. Though the non-title superfight has been lost for the time being, the televised card will feature the Bellator debut of highly-regarded British featherweight Ronnie Mann as he squares off with Josh Arocho.
Melendez: I Match Up ‘Very Well’ with Edgar, Maynard
Gilbert Melendez was in the zone against Tatsuya Kawajiri. Or, as Melendez describes his April 9 Strikeforce lightweight title defense, he was in the “Matrix.”
“I was precise on every shot,” he said on “The Savage Dog Show” of his dominant first-round win. “I wanted to make every shot worth it. I feel like I’m in the ‘Matrix’ out there right now in that I can see things very well. I can see timing. I tried to rush, but it wasn’t there so I sat back and I waited for my openings and I created openings. When openings were there, I capitalized. I was precise and I was on the money. I think things worked perfectly.”
UFC Reportedly Loses ‘Huge’ New Sponsorship After Online Poker Indictments
The federal indictments lobbed at three top poker websites late last week – including noted fight sponsor Full Tilt Poker – continue to cause a troubling ripple effect in the MMA world, new reports indicate. You may have already seen the stories over the weekend about how much the sudden absence of such poker site dough may or may not adversely affect the bottom line of individual fighters, but notable sports business reporter Darren Rovell (who works a lot on ESPN) now says the charges against Full Tilt also mean the loss of an important upcoming deal for the UFC.
COUTURE: "I believe this is my last fight..."
I believe this is my last fight," Couture told ESPN.com on Monday. "I know the UFC is probably going to have other ideas, especially with acquiring Strikeforce and all that. They're probably going to try to draw me into another fight but I don't think that's going to happen. I want to stick to my guns and this is the last one."
"I will miss the competition immensely but I want to go out on my terms," Couture said. "I want to go out when I think it's time to go out and not because I lost this fight or lost that fight or because I had an injury that precludes me from training the way I want to train.
"I want to make the decision on my own."
The Verdict is in: Shogun to Reunite with Cordeiro at Kings MMA
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua has made his decision.
The 2005 Pride Fighting Championships middleweight grand prix winner and former UFC light heavyweight champion will reunite with longtime former mentor Rafael Cordeiro at Kings MMA in Huntington Beach, Calif. Cordeiro made public his invitation for Shogun to rejoin him, as he prepares for his upcoming rematch with Forrest Griffin at UFC 134 “Rio” on Aug. 27 at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Griffin spoiled Rua’s Octagon debut in 2007, submitting him with a rear-naked choke at UFC 76.
“I will make my training camp at Kings MMA because I have so much respect for Rafael Cordeiro,” Rua told Sherdog.com. “He invited me, and I agreed with him that it would be a good way to develop my game.”
Rua has not competed since UFC 128 in March, when he surrendered the light heavyweight championship to Jon Jones in a third-round technical knockout defeat at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. Long considered one of the sport’s top fighters at 205 pounds, Rua’s career has been interrupted by three reconstructive knee surgeries. Still only 29, He holds a 3-3 mark inside the UFC. He enjoyed some of his greatest success under Cordeiro at the famed Chute Boxe Academy.
“He’s one of the best coaches ever in the history of MMA,” Rua said. “I’m going for him and for the other athletes there who are all great fighters, like Wanderlei Silva and Fabricio Werdum. I don’t know if Anderson Silva will be there, but the others are great.”
A Labor of Glove
Action in the cage has a way of being chaotic. What goes on backstage to ensure fighters get paid and fans get their money's worth is anything but, thanks to commissions like the CSAC.
UFC contender Phil Davis taking time off to improve, plans to fight by year's end
To the naysayers who've said he isn't the future of the light-heavyweight division, Phil Davis has something to say.
Did you think of that one on your own, or did you need help?
"So I'm not the best in the world," Davis (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Guess what. I will be one day."
Less-than-stellar feedback on his most recent performance and a series of nagging injuries have prompted Davis to realign his priorities. Improving his skills is now the most important part of his career.
Former Champ Jeff Lacy Ready to Silence Nick Diaz’s Boxing Talk
Challenge extended, challenge accepted.
Just days after Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz and his manager Cesar Gracie stated they were focused on a professional boxing match for the Stockton, Calif., native’s next fight, names like Fernando Vargas and Jeff Lacy starting popping up as potential opponents.