UFC releases Josh Neer, Caros Fodor, Brock Jardine, and Jon Manley
The UFC is downsizing their roster significantly, and 4 losers from UFC 157 were given the pink slip. Josh Neer, Caros Fodor, Jon Manley, and Brock Jardine were all sent packing (per MMA Opinion), and their profiles no longer appear on the UFC's website.
Neer (33-13-1) has now been cut 4 different times by the promotion. His latest release came after a 3 fight losing streak, completed with a decision defeat to Court McGee. it'd be hard to fathom the UFC brass bringing Josh back for a 5th time.
Mike Goldberg filling in for Jon Anik to commentate on UFC on Fuel 9 in Sweden
For the 2nd year in a row, UFC announcer Jon Anik will miss the Sweden event. Last year he was part of the wildly popular TUF: Live series, which conflicted with UFC on Fuel 2 in Stockholm, and Mike Goldberg took the trip to Sweden instead. This year it's a more personal matter for Anik, as he explained in an interview with Fighters.com:
Traveling has been crazy. It was China in November, Australia in December, Brazil in January, England in February and we just did Japan in March, and my wife is due with our second daughter in mid April so Goldie is going to step in for me in Sweden. Just because I can’t be that far away in case she comes early.
Episode No. 10 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 17: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen'
As episode No. 10 of "The Ultimate Fighter 17" opens, Team Jones' Robert "Bubba" McDaniel admits he's not thrilled about the way the quarterfinal matchups were made and that Team Sonnen's Uriah Hall is basically in his head.
Team Sonnen's Kelvin Gastelum, meanwhile, thinks his opponents ares till underestimating his skills. He's paired up with Team Jones' Collin Hart, who's known as a jiu-jitsu specialist. Hart admits he wasn't satisfied with his opening-round win over Kevin Casey and wants to instead throw his hands and be exciting. Chael Sonnen seems to believe that would be fantastic, as he sees Kelvin as a brawler – not the wrestler most seem to believe...
Should We Be Rooting for an MMA Fighter With Down Syndrome ?
Last night’s edition of ESPN’s Sportscenter featured a segment titled “Garrett’s Fight,” about a 23-year-old man with Down syndrome named Garrett Holeve who has transformed his life through MMA. After being introduced to the sport by his father, Holeve committed himself to training at American Top Team, which has become a supportive second-family to him. The segment follows “G-Money” as he prepares for his first amateur fight against “Monster” Mike Wilson, who makes good on his promise to show Holeve what a real punch feels like. Through three tough rounds, Garrett doesn’t quit, and comes out the other side an even stronger person
Melvin Guillard: Assault charges in Albuquerque, possible jail time, prevent Greg Jackson reunification
Looks like we have our answer.
The question was, "Why can't Melvin Guillard return to Jackson's MMA in Albuquerque, New Mexico?" The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight left on what he says were "good terms" back in early 2012, but this report said his request to join his former teammates was denied.
MMA Junkie explains why:
According to Bernalillo County (N.M.) court records, Guillard currently faces five charges: two misdemeanor counts of aggravated battery, to which he pled not guilty. Three misdemeanor counts of failure to appear in court were settled. A jury trial on the assault charges is set for April 10, where he faces six months in jail for each count, in addition to fines and probation.
Sounds like Melvin's next fight will be in court.
B.C.’s Budd to face Estes at Invicta FC 5
Canadian kickboxer Julia (The Jewel) Budd has another new opponent for next week’s Invicta FC 5, and hopefully this one will stick. The Port Moody, B.C., native take on Mollie Estes at the event in what will be her third appearance in the all-female MMA promotion.
Budd (4-2) was originally supposed to face Ediane Gomes (1-1) at the event, which takes place April 5 at Ameristar Casino Hotel in Kansas City. That was before Invicta signed former Strikeforce champion Cristiane (Cyborg) Santos and decided to match her versus Gomes.
Budd was then paired against Fiona Muxlow; however, Gomes was injured and again Budd’s opponent was pulled in order to face Santos.
Estes, meanwhile was originally on the card against Veronica Rothenhausler, but the latter had to withdraw with an injury.
The 29-year-old Budd, a protégé of former MMA star Lance Gibson and known for her phenomenal conditioning, will be seeking her third straight win, all with Invicta, since a 39-second loss to Ronda Rousey in Strikeforce, in which her elbow was dislocated. Her last two wins came by first-round TKO — both by way of punches and elbow strikes — over Elina Nilsson and Danielle West.
UFC ‘weighin-gate’: Diaz team wants GSP rematch
First there was “glove-gate.” Now, another mini-controversy has emerged surrounding the UFC 158 main event between welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz and the athletic commission overseeing it, and Diaz’ legal team is now requesting that a rematch with St-Pierre take place or St-Pierre should vacate his title.
A hidden camera video taken backstage prior to the weigh-ins for the March 16 event at the Bell Centre in Montreal has revealed a suggestion of some impropriety involving the official results.
In the video, the UFC’s Senior VP of Business and Legal Affairs Michael Mersh is heard talking to Diaz’ camp and saying that he and St-Pierre would be given an extra hour to make weight if necessary and that they would not have to make the exact 170-pound weight limit for the title fight but could be up to 0.9 pounds over the mark because the Quebec commission doesn’t count the decimal.
A full transcription of the dialogue was provided by MMA.tv: