Friday's UFC on FX 3 event gets two prelims on Facebook
Two fights from Friday's UFC on FX 3 card will kick off the night on Facebook.
The online stream precedes the night's FX-televised main card and FUEL TV-televised preliminary card, MMAjunkie.com confirmed with UFC officials.
The two bouts chosen for the one-hour stream include welterweights Sean Pierson vs. Jake Hecht and lightweights Bernardo Magalhaes vs. Henry Martinez.
Rory MacDonald wants to fight BJ Penn
Rory MacDonald is usually the quiet type, but with the UFC welterweight division currently a jumbled mess with little clarity, the rising prospect isn't waiting around to see what might be next for him. Instead, when it comes to his next opponent, he has a request, and a very specific one.
"Right now I feel there’s a guy that I want to fight before he leaves the sport and that’s B.J. Penn," he said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "That’s a guy I really want to fight. I respect him a lot. He’s a legend and I think it’d be a really good matchup for me to have that fight in Toronto."
MacDonald made sure to note this was a respectful request and not a "call out" of a future Hall of Famer.
Penn has been on the shelf since losing to Nick Diaz last October at UFC 137. Afterward, he said he would retire rather than fight again, but in recent weeks, he's backtracked on that, most recently saying on a May 29 episode of UFC Tonight that he was "warming up to the idea" of a comeback.
Looks like part 2 of the av bet DD, I think I'll change my av now!
Lentz-Mitsuoka, Bermudez-Hayden added to UFC 150
Two new bouts are official for UFC 150 in Denver: featherweights Nik Lentz (21-5-2 MMA, 5-2-1 UFC) vs. Eiji Mitsuoka (18-8-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and Dennis Bermudez (8-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) vs. Tom Hayden (8-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC).
Officials also recently confirmed a bout MMAjunkie.com (www.mmjaunkie.com) previously reported: middleweights Jared Hamman (13-4 MMA, 2-3 UFC) vs. Michael Kuiper (11-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC).
UFC 150 takes place Aug. 11 at Denver's Pepsi Center, and the main card airs on pay-per-view.
Chris Clements in against Bahadurzada at UFC 149
Chris Clements (11-4 MMA, 1-0 UFC) has replaced injured Thiago Alves (19-9 MMA, 11-6 UFC) and now meets fellow welterweight striker Siyar Bahadurzada (21-4-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at UFC 149.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently passed along news of Alves' injury, and UFC officials today announced his replacement.
UFC 149 takes place July 21 at Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo headlines in a five-round title fight with challenger Erik Koch.
Recent Success Has Lyle Beerbohm Targeting UFC
Heading into last year, Lyle “Fancy Pants” Beerbohm was making a name for himself in the Strikeforce lightweight division when back-to-back losses not only cost him his undefeated record, but his contract with the promotion as well.
“My loss to Pat Healy was in a really, really close fight, and in my fight with (Shinya) Aoki, I made a mistake I shouldn’t have,” said Beerbohm. “I’m not a really patient fighter – and on the ground you have to be patient – and I just wanted to get up and get out of there so I gave up my back and he ended up choking me out pretty fast.”
So when Beerbohm was getting ready for 2012, he felt some change was needed to get him back on track.
The Dream is Gone; Japanese MMA Promotion Runs Out of Viable Options
The writing was on the wall when Dream had to cancel its planned July mixed martial arts event in Japan, but it has become more and more evident that the follow-up to Pride is all but officially out of business.
MMA-Japan.com early Sunday morning reported that Dream is “no longer a going concern,” and multiple MMAWeekly.com sources have confirmed that doors are closing on Dream.
Pretty much all of the Real Entertainment (the company that operated Dream) staff have moved on to other endeavors, and the company has apparently stopped returning calls to nearly all of its fighters and their representatives, ceasing day-to-day operations.
Daniel Cormier Would Love a Shot at UFC Gold, But Loyalties Are With Strikeforce
Newly crowned Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix champion Daniel Cormier isn’t in a rush to get to the UFC, but he sure wouldn’t mind a title shot when he gets there.
The former Olympian, who dominated Josh Barnett en route to a unanimous decision victory to cap off the tournament, is excited about his UFC future, but right now he’s still committed to at least one more fight in Strikeforce.
Happy in Retirement, Randy Couture Can’t Think of a Reason for a UFC Return
Retirement isn’t something any high level athlete or competitor ever looks forward to.
Just ask former Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre about that one because he’s retired and un-retired numerous times over the last several years.
But sometimes when the decision is just right, it sticks.
That’s the case for UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, who officially walked away from active competition in MMA following a loss to Lyoto Machida at UFC 129 in April 2011.
A legend of the sport, Couture ended his career with a 19-11 record, but it’s not his overall wins and losses that made the former Olympic hopeful such an icon in MMA history. Couture seemed to make the impossible, possible, and he did it on more than one occasion.
But at 48 years of age and a budding movie career still humming along, including an extended role in the upcoming Sylvester Stallone action sequel The Expendables 2, Couture is happy in retirement and doesn’t see anything changing his mind.
Good News of the Day: Blagoi Ivanov Recovered from Coma, Released from Hospital
Earlier this year, the future of undefeated Bellator heavyweight prospect Blagoi Ivanov appeared uncertain for the most unfortunate of reasons. However, Sherdog.com is reporting that Ivanov has made a “miraculous recovery” over the past ten days, and has been released from Pirogov Hospital in Sofia, Bulgaria. Ivanov will still require treatment, but is determined to eventually fight again.
In February, Blagoi Ivanov was attending the after party of a boxing tournament when a fight broke out. Ivanov attempted to break up the fight when he and two of his friends were attacked by eight men carrying guns and knives. While his friends only suffered minor injuries, Ivanov was stabbed in the armpit, with the blade piercing his heart.
While surgery immediately following the stabbing was successful, Ivanov was placed in a medically-induced coma and remained on life support six weeks after the stabbing. At the time, his physicians did not comment on whether or not they expected him to fully recover from the attack.
UFC 148: Patrick Cote Discusses His Return Against Cung Le
Former UFC middleweight title challenger Patrick Cote was released from the organization following a loss to Tom Lawlor at UFC 121, and he's been steadily working to get back into the promotion ever since. Four straight wins earned him that phone call, and he'll be facing Cung Le on the main card of UFC 148 on July 7th. Cote spoke to Sportsnet about his opponent, and his rebirth in the biggest promotion in the world.
Bellator adds Canadian lightweight Guillaume DeLorenzi
Bellator Fighting Championships has added Canadian lightweight Guillaume DeLorenzi to its talent list.
Bellator officials recently announced the signing, adding that "Il Toro" has long been on their radar.
"Our talent development team has been focused on Guillaume DeLorenzi for some time," said Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney stated. "He's a dynamic fighter who has great potential in the coming years."
Donald Cerrone battled through intestinal problems to beat Jeremy Stephens at UFC on FUEL TV 3
When Donald Cerrone squared off against Jeremy Stephens at UFC on FUEL TV 3: "Korean Zombie vs. Poirier" on May 15, 2012, in Fairfax, Virginia, he did so not long after dealing with a particularly nasty illness.
Dude "rolled" his intestines. He explains to Sherdog.com what happened this time and how it originally got to this point:
"I rolled my intestines. From my surgery years ago, I have a lot of intestinal and stomach problems still to this day, and I was in the ICU and they almost had to do surgery on me. ... I was racing some motocross and I wrecked real bad and just kind of spilled my guts out. They had to take a bunch of my intestines and part of my stomach. What happened this time is, my stomach basically rolled around the intestine. Man, talk about pain. It was like someone was stabbing me. Oh, it was so brutal. I had to go to the ER, and basically they had to empty all of my intestines out and then rush water down my stomach and try to get it to unspin, kind of like a garden hose. If you have a kink in the hose, you run water and the pressure will cause it to unravel. It worked, so thank God."
Report: Octagon girl Arianny Celeste receives July 2 hearing date in Las Vegas
Longtime UFC octagon girl Arianny Celeste will get her day in court on July 2.
That's according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, which recently reported Celeste's domestic violence case was delayed a month while prosecutors continue to review details of the incident between the octagon girl and her boyfriend, Praveen Chandra.
Celeste, whose real name is Arianny Lopez, was arrested in Las Vegas, charged with domestic violence and booked into Clark County Detention Center in the early hours of May 26 but was released in time to work that evening's UFC 146 pay-per-view event.
Following TKO Loss, Phil Baroni Out of One FC Fight with Roger Huerta
The planned bout between Phil Baroni and Roger Huerta at One FC: Destiny of Warriors on June 23 in Malaysia appears to be off.
Baroni had been planning to square off with Huerta in a welterweight fight at One FC’s next event, but just three weeks out, he took a fight against Chris Holland at Ring of Fire 43 in Denver on Saturday night.
While Baroni started off strong, dominating Holland in the opening round, he faded quickly when Holland rocked him early in round two. “The Hammer” poured it on, realizing he had Baroni hurt, and quickly finished “The New York Bad Ass” by TKO.
TUF: The Smashes Settles on Two Weight Classes for First Aussie Ultimate Fighter
The UFC recently announced the second international version of The Ultimate Fighter would be Australia vs. the U.K.
The Australian series, dubbed The Smashes – a play on the 130 year-old cricket rivalry – will see undiscovered professional MMA fighters from Australia and the United Kingdom live together in The Ultimate Fighter house in Australia and compete against each other for a UFC contract.
When announced, the call went out for applicants ranging from 135 to 170 pounds.
The UFC has now settled on two specific divisions. The Smashes will feature welterweights (170 pounds) and lightweights (155 pounds), according to Marshall Zelaznik, the UFC’s director of international development.
Jake Ellenberger: ‘I Felt Like I Could Have Kept Fighting’
Just moments into the first round of the main event at the Ultimate Fighter Live finale, Jake Ellenberger cracked Martin Kampmann on the jaw with a vicious left hook.
Kampmann dropped to the mat in a flash and immediately Ellenberger swarmed looking to put him away. As the Nebraska native flurried with a barrage of punches, Kampmann grabbed at his arms to try and control the situation and regain his composure.
As close as it was to being over, Kampmann was able to eventually pull Ellenberger in his guard and keep the fight moving.
In the 2nd round the roles were reversed after Kampmann clipped Ellenberger with a short right hand that stunned him, and after three consecutive knee strikes, it was Ellenberger who crashed to the ground.
Jon Fitch Latest Fighter to Bow Out Due to Injury
Murphy’s law says “anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.”
The old adage appears to be true for the UFC these days as an injury has claimed another top fighter from an upcoming card.
Jon Fitch has suffered a knee injury in training that will force him out of his scheduled bout against Aaron Simpson at UFC on Fuel TV 4 on July 11.