Page 512 - Top MMA News and Mixed Martial Arts Headlines
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Gunderson vs. Holst Set For TUF 11 Finale, Elkins vs. Oliveira To UFC On Versus 2
The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale card received one additional fight while dropping another, and the total number of official contests for the June 19 event in Las Vegas remains at five. The rest, of course, will be revealed following this week's conclusion of the Spike TV reality series, "The Ultimate Fighter 11." But for now, a previously reported contest of John Gunderson vs. Mark Holst is official, and Darren Elkins vs. Charles Oliveira has been shifted to UFC on Versus 2 in August. The reason for the delay appears to be Oliveira having visa issues.
Upcoming knee surgery sidelines Bellator middleweight Jared Hess up to six months
Jared Hess will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery next week for a gruesome knee injury he suffered in the second round of Bellator's season-two middleweight tournament, the promotion announced Friday. Hess (11-2 MMA, 3-2 BFC), 26, sustained a third-degree tear of his lateral collateral ligament (LCL) in the first frame of his fight with Alexander Shlemenko, which took this past Thursday at Bellator 20.
Rebuilt and refocused, "Cro Cop" says he's anxious for standup war at UFC 115
Once considered among the most feared strikers in mixed martial arts, when Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (26-7-2 MMA, 3-3 UFC) first uttered the words "right leg hospital, left leg cemetery," it didn't exactly seem like simple braggadocio. An experienced K-1 kickboxer with potent striking, Filipovic has enjoyed just moderate success since joining the UFC in 2007. But with "Cro Cop" set to face fellow knockout artist Pat Barry (5-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at next week's UFC 115 event in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, Filipovic said his ready to flash vintage form in a crowd-pleasing affair.
Frank Mir: 'I've actually been toying with the idea of maybe going down a weight class'
"Right now I have a couple months off, so I've actually been toying with the idea of maybe going down a weight class. Since I don't have a fight for a couple months, I've just been watching what I eat and see how my body without trying to put size on; what my natural weight will fall now at now since I have lifted a lot lately to add size. I'm kind of curios where I think I would fall at. Because some of the guys I train with that are light heavyweight, bone structures are the same. Sometimes I stand next to Forrest (Griffin) and I think I'm in the wrong weight class." Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir ponders a career at 205-pounds during his time away from the fight game. Despite a successful heavyweight career, lopsided losses to Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin have perhaps planted the seed that his frame is better suited at 205-pounds. Can one of the UFC's most senior veterans make any kind of noise as a light heavyweight? Or would strikers like Machida and Rua make him sorry he ever considered it? Thats pretty much the whole article but I posted the link anway. Personally I think if he can make it safely then he should drop down...he's just not able to handle the big boys...either that or pray that the cruiserweight experiment in Ohio(I think) goes over well and it gets adopted.
Scott Coker Says No Bidding War For Shields, Tourney Possible
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker is "tossing around numbers" with the manager of his current middleweight champion, Jake Shields, but he will not get into a bidding war for the fighter's services. "If it works out (with Shields), great," Coker said. "If not, Strikeforce has a bunch of great middleweights, and we'll go into the tournament business. We're still fleshing out the details, but we're leaning toward that." Shields' manager and father, Jack Shields, today opened the door to non-exclusive negotiations – known as the "matching period" on a fight contract – after the fighter's exclusive negotiation period with Strikeforce expired earlier this week. If the two sides can't strike a deal on a new contract, said tournament could start on August 21 as an 8-man tournament with the winner becoming the new champion.
Fedor Nominated in Russian Primary, Will Continue Fighting
Fedor Emelianenko is one of 58 candidates named in a Russian internal election primary for the United Russian Party in the Belgorod region, according to M-1 Global officials. The June 25 primary elections are a first step to identifying one candidate to represent the party later in national elections against other party nominees for a seat in the country's regional Parliament. The 33-year-old Emelianenko was nominated along with other notable politicians, including Belgorod Region Governor Yevgeny Savchenko and Belgorod Senator and State Duma Deputy Andrei Scotch. The world’s No. 1 heavyweight is among 24 new candidates added to the party’s primary ballot in that region this year.
Gerald Harris vs Dave Branch at UFC 116
Former TUF contestant Gerald Harris (15-2, 2-0 UFC) will look to continue his streak inside the octagon against Renzo Gracie standout Dave Branch. Branch, a Brooklyn, N.Y. native who's studied Brazilian jiu jitsu for nearly a decade with Gracie, turned pro in 2007 and his since posted a 6-0 record with six stoppage victories (three via knockout and three via submission). Most recently, he stopped Derrick Mehman (5-1 at the time) with a second-round rear-naked choke at Bellator 15 in April. Main Card Lesnar vs Carwin W. Silva vs Akiyama Lytle vs Brown Bonnar vs Soszynski II Sotiropoulos vs Pellegrino SpikeTV Schaub vs Tuchscherer Reljic vs Grove Prelims Petruzelli vs Romero Harris vs Branch Roberts vs Paulino Madsen vs Vemola
SF Challengers 9 Set For 7/23, Kaufman vs. Modafferi Possible
The next installment of Strikeforce's prospects-driven "Challengers" series is slated for July 23, and a title fight could be part of the night's Showtime broadcast. Although it's not yet official, SF is working to make a title fight of Strikeforce Women's Welterweight Champion Sarah Kaufman vs. Roxanne Modafferi for the event.
Anthony Leone Signs With WEC, Replaces Godfrey At WEC 49
Anthony Leone has signed a 4-fight deal with WEC and won't have to wait long for his first fight. He's been tapped as a replacement on the card for the injured Clint Godfrey and will face Renan Berao in his WEC debut. Although the paperwork for the fight hasn't been completed, verbal agreements are in place.
Tavares Meets Friere At UFC On Versus 2
2 Brazilians are set to face off in a Lightweight matchup at UFC on Versus 2 as Thiago Tavares appears set to face newcomer Willamy Friere (Chequerim). Verbal agreements are in place, paperwork pending. Friere signed with UFC recently and vacated his Shooto Welterweight Championship after defending it in Japan this past weekend as a result. Tavares was to have faced Melvin Guillard at UFC 114 but withdrew due to injury.
Seth Petruzelli rejoins UFC, meets Ricardo Romero on UFC 116 preliminary card
Seth Petruzelli (12-4 MMA, 0-2 UFC), a former UFC fighter who rose to fame after famously knocking out Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson at an October 2008 EliteXC show, has rejoined the UFC and meets fellow light heavyweight Ricardo Romero (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) next month at UFC 116. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with Romero's manager, Mike Constantino, that verbal agreements are in place, though bout agreements have not been signed. Petruzelli initially announced the July 3 bout via Twitter this afternoon.
Tom Lawlor Takes Training to Cuba in Hopes of Career Rejuvenation
Walking through the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas during the recent UFC 114 weekend, Tom Lawlor heard the familiar bassline of the David Bowie and Queen classic rock collaboration "Under Pressure." Ever the showman, Lawlor filed it away in his mind, well aware that it could make for another entrance spectacular, hot on the heels of his Apollo Creed/"Rocky IV" homage at UFC 113. But the underlying reason the song struck Lawlor is not lost on him. After two straight losses in the octagon, he's well aware that it's coming down to do-or-die for his UFC career. "I just need to look at some things I did wrong in those fights and correct them so I don't make those mistakes again," Lawlor told MMA Fighting. "Because really I'm on the bubble right now as far as my career in the UFC goes. I can only come up with so many more entrances that keep my job. I've got to start winning fights."
Chuck Liddell Plans to KO Rich Franklin, Wants Tito Ortiz in Return From Surgery
After nearly 14 months away from fighting and a series of camps designed to bring him back in pristine condition, legendary UFC star Chuck Liddell is set to return to the octagon at UFC 115 in Vancouver. Though Liddell (21-7) returned with the expectation of fighting Tito Ortiz at the conclusion of the currently airing season of The Ultimate Fighter, an injury knocked Ortiz out, leaving an opening filled by former middleweight champion Rich Franklin. In an interview with MMA Fighting, the 40-year-old Liddell spoke about the Ortiz fallout, facing Franklin, changing his lifestyle and whether his June 12 fight is a must-win affair.
UFC 117 Prelims Announced, Wallace vs. Nedkov Among Additions
Following Thursday's official announcement of UFC 117 and three main-card bouts, including a headliner of UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, UFC officials have unveiled the night's preliminary card. Most of the fights were already known but there was a new addition to the card today: Rodney Wallace vs. Stanislav Nedkov. Wallace is on the Losing Streak Of Doom and needs a win to keep his roster spot while Nedkov will be making his UFC debut after fighting internationally including a 2-0 mark in World Victory Road Sengoku events.
Fertitta On Fighter's Union: That's Up To Them
To unionize or not. Lorenzo Fertitta says it's up to fighters. This past Saturday at UFC Fan Expo 2010, the UFC executive said collective third-party representation – an issue that's long shadowed the sport's explosive rise to popularity – is not under his company's domain. "We have no role," Fertitta said. "So we're not in a position to say we support it, or we're against it. That's entirely up to [the fighters]."
Strikeforce champ Jake Shields' non-exclusive negotiations begin Friday
Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields' exclusive negotiation period with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion has expired, though negotiations with the company remain ongoing. Shields' manager and father, Jack Shields, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he will begin non-exclusive negotiations tomorrow. "The options are all good," Jack Shields said, though he did not confirm whether Strikeforce had yet offered a new contract.
Light heavyweight Ricardo Romero signs four-fight deal with UFC
Light heavyweight Ricardo Romero has signed a four-fight deal with the UFC according to his new manager, Mike Constantino, who announced the news today in a press release. Romero (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is a former light heavyweight and heavyweight champion of the New Jersey-based Ring of Combat promotion and carries a five-fight win streak into the octagon.
Yager Clears Up Twitter Controversy With Tito (No TUF Spoilers)
Jamie Yager may have had a rough night on Wednesday watching his elimination from “The Ultimate Fighter" Season 11, but nothing like the storm of controversy he was hit with first thing Thursday morning. An account on Twitter that was said to be Jamie Yager’s went on a hate filled tirade aimed at Tito Ortiz, and several media outlets picked up on the back and forth, reporting the heated exchange between the former coach and fighter. The only problem, Yager says it wasn’t him. "Basically, I woke up today about like 9 o'clock west coast time, and my phone's blowing up like 'dude, what's going on? What's up with you and Tito?’" he told MMAWeekly Radio on Thursday night. As the confusion washed over him, Yager hit the Internet and saw the barrage of messages and media outlets reporting on his "feud" with Tito Ortiz. Blindsided by the whole incident, Yager immediately alerted everyone involved that while he does have his own Twitter account (www.twitter.com/jamieyager) the person posing as him posting the messages was an imposter.
UFC 117 Official For 8/7
UFC officially announced UFC 117 yesterday for August 7 in Oakland, CA at Oracle Arena. Headlining the event is a long-rumored middleweight title fight between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and challenger Chael Sonnen. Also officially announced for the event were New UFC Hall Of Famer Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida and Clay Guida vs. Rafael Dos Anjos.
Bennett Off SF LA, Heun To Face Noons
KJ Noons won't get his Charles Bennett rematch after all. Noons has confirmed that Bennett is now off the 6/26 Strikeforce LA card for undisclosed reasons. Bennett was previously booked to appear opposite Luis Palomino at the "Rock-N-Rumble III" event tomorrow night (June 4) in Hollywood, FL; however, neither promotion was immediately available for comment on Bennett's status. Conor Heun is the replacement and there are reports the fight has now been moved up to the 6/16 event.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511  513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 ... 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227