Bitter Jacob Volkmann Plans On “Exposing” UFC For What They Are
Very bitter. They always claim that they treat the fighters so well. Yeah, they treat the top five percent of the fighters well – the ones that are on the main card all the time. They don’t treat the rest of them very well. The healthcare plan is horrible, with a $1,500 deductible per injury – the catastrophic-injury insurance is not even really good insurance. There’s no retirement fund, there’s no signing bonus. You start off at six-and-six, you’re really not making too much money because you’re self-employed, so you’re paying the self-employment tax and you’re paying the regular tax and income tax. So you’re paying twice as much in tax.
Former UFC fighter sues sex shop after genital disfiguration
Just when you thought you had seen every article possible about an MMA fighter, up pops this one.
Former UFC lightweight Waylon Lowe, currently with the World Series of Fighting Promotion, has sued a sex shop after a ‘penis gel’ permanently disfigured his genitals. Philly.com has the scoop:
‘A famous fighter says the Kama Sutra Pleasure Balm Prolonging Gel was far from pleasurable, and instead burned and scarred his genitals so badly last fall that he remains permanently disfigured and dysfunctional.
Chad Mendes vs. Clay Guida targeted for UFC 164
featherweight fight previously scheduled for UFC on Fox 7 looks to be re-scheduled for UFC 164 on August 31st. Ariel Helwani reported on last night's edition of UFC Tonight that Mendes and Guida still want to fight each other and that the UFC wants to make it happen:
Ex-UFC champ Matt Serra is retired – barring fight in Madison Square Garden
Matt Serra won't say he's officially retired, but he might never fight again.
The former UFC welterweight champion recently told Newsday that a recent health scare put his life into perspective, and right now, he doesn't see much reason to continue fighting.
That is, unless his longtime promoter finds its way through a legal quagmire that has kept it out of Serra's home state of New York. A fight in Madison Square Garden is the only thing on his competitive bucket list.
"But at the same time, if that doesn't happen, I definitely consider myself done," Serra told Newsday. "It's hard to say the 'R word.' I might never say the 'R word.'"
Alistair Overeem vs. Travis Browne set as UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 non-headliner
Alistair Overeem's return to the octagon has been shifted from UFC 164 to the promotion's debut event on FOX Sports 1.
Mutiple sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is set to meet fellow standout heavyweight Travis Browne (14-1-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC) at UFC on FOX Sports 1 1, which takes place Aug. 17 at TD Garden in Boston.
Although the fight will be part of the night's main card and a major attraction, it won't even be the main event, UFC President Dana White subsequently told MMAjunkie.com. That assures at least one other significant bout will be added to the card.
Bellator signs England's Martin Stapleton, Rob Sinclair and Paul Sass
After a recent scouting trip to the United Kingdom, three top English fighters are heading to Bellator.
The organization today announced it has signed Martin Stapleton, Rob Sinclair and Paul Sass to long-term contracts, though terms of the deals weren't disclosed. Debut dates also haven't been announced, though tournament entries are possible.
According to the head of the company, this is likely a play to get Bellator on U.K. television.
Roy Nelson vs. Stipe Miocic added to UFC 161
With the loss of UFC 161's planned headliner between Renan Barao (30-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and Eddie Wineland (20-8-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC), Ultimate Fighting Championship officials looked to add some firepower to the event's lineup. Roy Nelson (19-7 MMA, 6-3 UFC) and Stipe Miocic (9-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) answered the call.
USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with UFC President Dana White that Nelson and Miocic have agreed to meet on the main card of the event, which takes place June 15 at MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Rashad Evans (17-3-1 MMA, 12-3-1 UFC) vs. Dan Henderson (29-9 MMA, 6-3 UFC) now headlines the card.
Gegard Mousasi leaning heavily towards middleweight, wants Vitor Belfort or other top contender
Gegard Mousasi is currently rehabbing his injured knee, but when he returns, the former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion may very well be fighting in a brand new division.
"There's a big chance that I will go to middleweight," Mousasi revealed to MMAFighting.com "It all depends on the fights that I'm going to get. If I'm going to get a big name at middleweight, I'll probably go down.
"It's all about matchups. Let's say they're going to give me somebody like Vitor Belfort that's maybe a contender. That's the kind of fight I want."
Mousasi fought much of his early career in Japan at middleweight, and easily tipped the scales at 204 pounds without cutting weight for his UFC debut.
In the past, the 27-year-old believed dropping back down would've been a dicey proposition, but after considering the way he's recently trained and the ease with which he's lost weight, he's now confident it won't be a problem.
"To be honest, I believe middleweight will be much better for me," Mousasi said. "I will give my opponent less advantages. But at the end of the day it's all about skills. That doesn't mean that size advantages always win, but like I've said, in the highest level, you don't want to give the slightest edge to your opponent. Everyone is skilled, everyone has abilities. So that's why I think middleweight will be much more suitable to my body frame.
"It's all about the opportunity," he continued. "I really want to go for this belt. I believe that style-wise, matchup-wise, I matchup much better against Anderson Silva than Jon Jones, but it doesn't mean that I'm scared to fight at 205. Jon Jones is skilled and so is Anderson Silva, but at the highest levels, when you're competing against the top levels, you don't want to give anybody an advantage. So I don't want to give a weight and size difference advantage also. That's why I said middleweight."
Mousasi is currently ahead of schedule in his recovery from injury and is targeting a late-2013 comeback to the Octagon. When he returns, the Dutch-Armenian fighter hopes to immediately make up for lost time.
"My focus is to get to the belt as soon as possible," said Mousasi. "I‘ve done the route of [waiting]. I don't have those things that other fighters complain about, jetlag and days off. I don't have those issues. I never have. So I'm just looking for big fights.
"The fight I had last (Ilir Latifi), the guy wasn't known, he wasn't ranked. It doesn't mean anything. But I have a history. I only haven't fought in UFC, but I have a history. People come and get immediate title shots. I don't think that's going to be the case for me, but I've beaten champions, ex-champions. So it's all about one, maybe two big names and then I hope to get a title shot."
With Renan Barao hurt, Rashad Evans vs. Dan Henderson headlines UFC 161
As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously reported, UFC interim champ Renan Barao is injured and out of next month's UFC 161 event. With little time to find a suitable replacement, the night's co-feature between Rashad Evans (17-3-1 MMA, 12-3-1 UFC) and Dan Henderson (29-9 MMA, 6-3 UFC) has been promoted to headlining status.
UFC officials today made the change. Evans vs. Henderson remains a three-round bout.
Bellator champ Ben Askren faces Andrey Koreshkov on July 31 in New Mexico
Bellator welterweight champ Ben Askren (11-0 MMA, 8-0 BFC) puts his title on the line against Andrey Koreshkov (13-0 MMA, 5-0 BFC) on Wednesday, July 31 as the promotion visits Albuquerque's Santa Ana Center.
The event, which is expected to serve as "Bellator 97: Askren vs. Koreshkov," is the second announced card for the company's upcoming Summer Series.