Thiago Alves taking year off, out until 2013
UFC welterweight Thiago Alves has decided to take a bit of a break from MMA. The former top contender was expected to face off with Yoshihiro Akiyama, then Siyar Bahadurzada back at UFC 149 in July but had to pull out after tearing his pec, which requited surgery. He has now put out a statement saying he won't be returning until the middle of next year (via BuddhaSport)
"Following my chest surgery, my management and myself have decided to take this year off to fix my left knee as well as all my other little injuries to come back stronger than ever in 2013 to make another run for the title and get it this time. I should be back by June 2013."
Alves (19-9) hasn't fared too well since a decision loss to UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100, going just 2-3 since then. His last bout was a late loss to Martin Kampmann at UFC on FX 2 in March, in a bout he was controlling until an ill-advised takedown attempt in the third round got him stuck in a guillotine. He's long been known as one of the better strikers in the division.
Anthony Johnson Open to Heavyweight Super Fight Against Andrei Arlovski
Anthony Johnson is a man who enjoys challenges.
Just days after his highlight reel knockout over D.J. Linderman at World Series of Fighting 1 in Las Vegas, he’s already got a few ideas for what he’d like to do next.
Throughout his career, Johnson has tested the limits of his body and skill set bouncing from welterweight all the way to light heavyweight, and now he has a new weight class in mind.
Following PPV letdowns, champ Henderson hopes Diaz can help sell UFC on FOX 5
UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson isn't one to hype a fight, but heading into the second defense of his title, he hopes his opponent will help sell it to the public.
"I don't think Nate Diaz is going to be a big talker and say a bunch of stuff, but it's nice to have something the media can latch onto," Henderson told MMAjunkie.com.
While Henderson's bottom line won't necessarily be affected by the number of viewers who watch the bout, he would like to increase his earning power
UFC on FUEL TV 6 fight card and early-morning start times
As a reminder this weekend's UFC on FUEL TV 6 event begins earlier than the usual UFC start times.
Much earlier, in fact.
North American fight fans may want to set their alarms for Saturday's event in Macau, which includes a preliminary-card kickoff at 7:15 a.m. ET (4:15 a.m. PT) and a main card at 9 a.m. ET.
UFC on FOX 5's Rory MacDonald says VADA testing 'annoying' but doable
As one of the guinea pigs for expanded and third-party drug testing in MMA, Rory MacDonald admits the process is a bit annoying.
But, he said, it's doable.
MacDonald, of course, agreed to undergo Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) testing with opponent B.J. Penn, whom he meets next month in a featured welterweight bout at UFC on FOX 5.
Anthony Pettis vs. Donald Cerrone targeted for Jan. 26, possibly UFC on FOX 6
A long-anticipated fight between lightweight contenders Anthony Pettis (15-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and Donald Cerrone (19-4 MMA, 6-1 UFC) is nearly set.
Sources close to the promotion told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fighters are targeted to meet at a UFC event on Jan. 26, possibly UFC on FOX 6.
A venue for the event could not be confirmed at the time of this writing, though sources said Chicago is one candidate.
Cung Le Had to Leave “Super Camp” To Get Personal Attention Needed for UFC Success
The nature of training is different for every fighter heading into a big bout in the UFC.
One staple throughout MMA in recent years, however, has been the explosion of the “super camp” featuring a number of top fighters all working together under one roof, and one set of coaches to get ready for upcoming competition.
Gyms like Team Greg Jackson, American Top Team, and American Kickboxing Academy have become synonymous with great training and building champions.
Recently, however, more top fighters are shying away from the “super camp” atmosphere because, for all the rave reviews about the great coaching and training, there seems to be something lost when it comes to personal attention when preparing for a fight...
UFC Possibly Heading To Puerto Rico In 2014
In a recent online chat presented by Metro PCS, White had a little bit more information on Puerto Rico, saying that it’s still a work in progress, but that they are making headway and the Octagon will be there soon.
“We’ve been focused on Puerto Rico,” said White. “We’ve been doing some work down there.”
Puerto Rico has a population of more than 3.7 million people, so the UFC isn’t taking the U.S. territory lightly.
“We want to do a pay-per-view down there,” added White. “We know it’s a big market for us. I will say that we’ll probably do an event there in 2014.”
Eddie Alvarez Is Now A Free Agent
Former Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez was given his release from a 90-day exclusive negotiating period with Bellator early, according to Alvarez. That makes him a free agent, and allows him to sign with any promotion - such as the UFC - if he elects to.
Bellator typically holds fighters to a 90-day window where they can match any offer received. Alvarez had his contract expire after a recent victory over Patricky Pitbull in October.
"Bjorn Rebney (Bellator CEO) was gracious enough to give us our release papers early, earlier than what we were contractually to get, he gave it to us (last) Friday," said Alvarez, talking with MMAInterviews.TV over the weekend. "So, we're going to try to move it along as fast as possible for myself and for Bellator. We'll see. Nothing's set in stone and I'm just waiting to see what happens."
Inaugural World Series of Fighting card deemed a success
Across the board, there was nothing but high praise for the first World Series of Fighting card.
Fighters were impressed and felt taken care of. Trainers got the same vibe.
The WSOF brought it all — sparkling production values, big names, good fights and a few highlight reels.
For all accounts, it was a smashing success.
"I couldn't ask for a better start," WSOF President Ray Sefo said. "I'm so happy and proud with the turnout. Like I said, there are a lot of great emotions. This is our first event, and, of course, we're going to get better and better and better."
Whether fans give the WSOF the same approval will be decided on future cards, but if Saturday's card is any indication, the more than 5,000 fans who showed up at the PH Live venue at Planet Hollywood have something to look forward to.
Anthony Johnson, who scored a knockout victory against D.J. Linderman in the card's co-main event, praised the company, adding they got close to everything right on the first try.
"I didn't think it would be like this," Johnson said. "Usually, people have a promotion and don't do it right at first. (The WSOF is) on the ball and doing exactly what they should be doing."
Johnson, a former UFC fighter, provided the night's biggest highlight.
After Johnson was poked in the eye, referee Herb Dean didn't give Johnson a chance to recover. Linderman rushed in and got caught by a Johnson straight right hand. Linderman fell face-first onto the canvas as Johnson threw down his mouthpiece in celebration at the 3:58 mark of the first round.
"He got careless and rushed me and left himself open," said Johnson, who has a bad history of getting poked in the eye. "Every time I get hit in the eye, it stuns me, but I work through it."
Second WSOF Card Set For January In Las Vegas
The World Series of Fighting held its first card on Saturday night, and saw an upset in the bantamweight division. The promotion is expected to hold a second event in January.
Plans were for Miguel Torres and Tyson Nam to compete after Torres defeated Marlon Moraes Saturday. That, however, did not happen, as Moraes claimed a decision.
Now, Nam (12-4) and Moraes (9-4-1) will collide in Las Vegas. No exact date or location has been locked down by the WSOF.
Nam has not competed since stunning Bellator bantamweight champion Eduardo Dantas this past August. He had issues with a Bellator contract and was unable to face Torres at WSOF 1.
UFC: Stephan Bonnar and Dave Herman admit to taking banned substances
Stephan Bonnar and Dave Herman admit to taking the banned substances that prompted their failed drug tests at this past month's UFC 153 event.
That's according to the UFC, which recently issued a statement on both fighters.
As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported on Friday, Bonnar tested positive for drostanolone, an anabolic steroid, and Herman's test detected marijuana metabolites.
"The UFC has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents," the statement read. "Both fighters have admitted taking the banned substances and have orally agreed to suspensions. Once the suspensions have been reduced to written agreements, the results of their tests and the agreed-upon suspensions will be sent to the Association of Boxing Commissions official record-keeper so other jurisdictions will be on notice."
The length of the suspensions wasn't disclosed.
Resurrection Fighting Alliance 4 salaries: Tyson Griffin tops $82,350 payroll
The full Resurrection Fighting Alliance 4 payouts include:
Tyson Griffin: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Efrain Escudero: $5,000
Chidi Njokuani: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)
def. Phil Dace: $2,000
Marcio "Pe de Pano" Cruz: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
def. Joe Yager: $2,000
Lance Palmer: $3,400 (includes $1,500 win bonus)*
def. Fredson Paixao: $1,600
James Krause: $8,000 (includes $4,000 win bonus)
def. Guilherme Trindade: $1,500
Dakota Cochrane: $4,000 (no win bonus)
def. Derrick Burnsed: $2,000
Sergio Pettis: $5,000 (includes $2,500 win bonus)
def. Jimmy Jones: $1,000
Chris Holdsworth: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus)
def. Tyler Shinn: $1,500
Steve Mocco: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus)
def. Tyler Perry: $1,500
Cory Galloway: $1,000 (includes $500 win bonus)
def. Jerry Shapiro: $750
Jordan Isordia: $1,350 (includes $600 win bonus)
def. Joey Angelo: $750
* Paixao did not make weight and gave 20 percent of his show money ($400) to Palmer
World Series of Fighting 1 salaries: Arlovski, Johnson top $352K payroll
The full WSOF 1 payouts include:
Andrei Arlovski: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
def. Devin Cole: $10,000
Anthony Johnson: $55,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
def. D.J. Linderman: $10,000
Marlon Moraes: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
def. Miguel Torres: $18,000
Tyrone Spong: $27,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus)
def. Travis Bartlett: $4,000
Tyson Steele: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
def. Gregor Gracie: $25,000
Brian Cobb: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
def. Ronys Torres: $12,000
Steve Carl: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Ramico Blackmon: $10,000
Josh Burkman: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Gerald Harris: $15,000
Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante: $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus)
def. T.J. O'Brien: $5,000
David Branch: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Dustin Jacoby: $5,000
The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale fight card
Main Card (FX)
Shane Carwin vs. Roy Nelson
TUF Finalist 1 vs. TUF Finalist 2
Pat Barry vs. Shane Del Rosario
Melvin Guillard vs. Jamie Varner
Mike Pyle vs. James Head
Preliminary Card (FUEL and facebook)
Jonathan Brookins vs. Dustin Poirier
T.J. Waldburger vs. Nick Catone
Johnny Bedford vs. Marcos Vinicius
Jared Papazian vs. Tim Elliott
Vinc Pichel vs. Rustam Khabilov
Reuben Duran vs. Hugo Viana
John Cofer vs. Mike Rio
Hollett Takes On Prado At UFC On FX 7 In Brazil
The UFC will make their return to Brazil for the fifth time in 17 months and the card will have a little bot of Canadian content when Nova Scotia’s Roger “The Hulk” Hollett takes on Brazil’s Wagner Prado in a Light Heavyweight contest. A city and venue is still yet to be determined.
Leonard Garcia vs. Cody McKenzie added to December's UFC 155 event
A featherweight matchup between fan-favorite slugger Leonard Garcia (15-9-1 MMA, 2-5 UFC) and "The Ultimate Fighter 12" cast member Cody McKenzie (13-3 MMA, 2-3 UFC) will take place in December.
UFC officials today announced the contest has been booked for UFC 155.
UFC 155 takes place Dec. 29 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main event is a heavyweight title fight rematch between champion Junior Dos Santos and ex-titleholder Cain Velasquez, which headlines the pay-per-view portion of the show.
UFC officials did not announce where the Garcia vs. McKenzie bout will reside on the evening's fight card, but it is expected to take place on the preliminary portion of the event.
Bellator announces 'Vote for the Fight' series to choose first Spike TV main event
Bellator next week will debut an interactive feature that will allow fans to pick the first main event for the promotion's debut on Spike TV.
The promotion on Friday announced "Vote for the Fight" during the MTV2 broadcast of Bellator 79, which took place at Canada's Casino Rama in Rama, Ontario.
Bellator events currently air Fridays on MTV through the remainder of Season 7, but will move to Spike TV starting in January 2013.
"Vote for the Fight" is a "web series" that premieres Thursday at Spike.com. It will follow four of the promotion's top welterweights, and fans then can vote for the fight they want to see in the Season 8 premiere's main event in January. Paul Daley, Ben Saunders, Douglas Lima and Jon "War Machine" Koppenhaver are the four fighters profiled in the web series and on the ballot.
According to promotion for the series, the behind-the-scenes profiles of the four fighters will follow "their home lives, their training – everything they do to get mentally and physically prepared for the fight that (the fans) will vote for."
UFC makes official Jan. 19 card in Brazil with Vitor Belfort vs. Michael Bisping headliner
Reports of new bouts for the UFC's return to Brazil in January had been trickling in with regularity earlier this week. Now they're official.
The UFC today announced a 12-fight card in Brazil for Jan. 19, though the host city and venue are still to be determined and, the UFC said, will be announced soon. The four-fight main card is likely to air on either FX or FUEL TV.
Headlining the event will be a middleweight bout between recent light heavyweight title challenger and former middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort (21-10 MMA, 10-6 UFC) and Michael Bisping (23-4 MMA, 13-4 UFC).