Jon Fitch was ‘overconfident' in his submission defense against Josh Burkman
Jon Fitch reflects on his submission loss to Josh Burkman at WSOF 3 on Friday night (June 14, 2013) in Las Vegas, Nevada.
"I got a little overconfident with my choke defense and was going to try to slam him, but he locked it in too tight. Mistake on my part. I should have fought the choke right away."
-- World Series of Fighting (WSOF) welterweight Jon Fitch immediately reacts to his 41-second submission loss to Josh Burkman (watch it here) in his post-fight interview at WSOF 3 on Friday night (June 14, 2013). In what the entire mixed martial arts (MMA) community considered a shocking upset, Fitch was choked completely unconscious by a guillotine choke from "The People's Warrior" and it resulted in his third loss in five fights. Fitch, who successfully defended 28 of 28 submission attempts in his tenure with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), got put to sleep with the first submission attempted on him in the WSOF cage. The 35-year-old blamed overconfidence in his submission defense as a reason why he lost the fight, and given his track record it's hard to blame him. Nevertheless, it was not the type of performance he was hoping for and it just proves a technical error
Myles Jury vs. Mike Ricci added to UFC 165
lightweight addition has been made to UFC 165 in Toronto, as Myles Jury takes on Mike Ricci on the September 21st PPV event. Ariel Helwani reported the news last night for MMA Fighting. The card was made official on Thursday with a main event of Jon Jones' LHW title defense vs. Alexander Gustafsson.
Paul Kelly jailed for supplying heroin
A former UFC cage fighter was jailed after he was caught running a major heroin ring in Liverpool.
West Derby ‘hard man’ Paul Kelly, 29, who earned up to £100,000 a year on the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fight circuit, was labelled the “brains” of the drug gang which he set up with childhood best friend Christopher St John McGirr.
Diego Sanchez off UFC 164, targeted for fall bout with Gilbert Melendez
Diego Sanchez won't be fighting at UFC 164 in Milwaukee after all, but the fight lined up for him might be worth a little bit longer of a wait.
Sanchez (24-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) in April told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) he had been penciled in for an August fight against an opponent to be determined. But with less than three months until that card and no opponent yet, Sanchez won't be heading to Wisconsin this summer.
Instead, multiple sources close to the fighters on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Sanchez is targeted for a fight against former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez (21-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) this fall, likely in October or November.
Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks targeted for November in Las Vegas
The long-awaited title fight between welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC) and challenger Johny Hendricks (15-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) is likely to take place in November in Las Vegas, possibly as UFC 167.
UFC President Dana White today confirmed the tentative plans at UFC 161's open workouts in Winnipeg.
An exact date and venue for the pay-per-view event haven't been determined, and the event number could change depending on how the rest of the UFC's fall schedule shapes up.
St-Pierre currently is ranked No. 1 and Hendricks No. 2 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA welterweight rankings. Additionally, St-Pierre is No. 3 and Hendricks No. 10 in the pound-for-pound rankings.
Hendricks has been gunning for the title shot for nearly two years now.
Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos III likely at UFC 166 in Houston
The rubber match between UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos (16-2 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and ex-titleholder Cain Velasquez (12-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) is expected to take place in October in Houston, likely at UFC 166.
UFC President Dana White today laid out the plans at UFC 161's open workouts in Winnipeg.
Although a date and venue weren't given for the title fight, it'll take place in an arena, not a stadium such as Cowboys Stadium. That makes Toyota Center, which hosted UFC 136 in 2011, a strong possibility.
Despite the smaller venue, the pay-per-view event is likely to be a big one for the UFC.
Champ Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson to headline UFC 165 in Toronto
The title fight between UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) and Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) will headline UFC 165 in Toronto.
UFC President Dana White today confirmed the plans at UFC 161's open workouts in Winnipeg.
Earlier today, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) White tweeted that the fight likely would take place in the fall, though he initially didn't get mention an event.
UFC 165 is slated for Sept. 21 at Toronto's Air Canada Centre. The main card, which will feature Jones vs. Gustafsson in the headliner, airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
Jones is ranked No. 1 and Gustafsson No. 6 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA light-heavyweight rankings.
After winning the title from Mauricio Rua at UFC 128, Jones has successfully defended the belt against Quinton Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans and Vitor Belfort before making quick work of Chael Sonnen, who was stopped with elbows and punches in the first round of their April fight. Since a disqualification loss to Matt Hamill in 2009, Jones has won nine straight fights with eight stoppages. Only Evans went the distance.