Good vs. Akhmedov, Casey vs. Carlos Junior set for UFC Fight Night 80 in Las Vegas
The UFC’s first of three straight days of events in Las Vegas in December is starting to come together with the apparent addition of two fights.
Kevin Casey (9-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) today published a photo on his Instagram account of him signing a contract to fight Antonio Carlos Junior (5-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 80. And Omari Akhmedov (15-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) used Instagram to announce a welterweight fight against Lyman Good (19-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) for the same card.
UFC officials have not yet made formal announcements of either booking.
USADA gave Mayweather retroactive OK to use banned IV for Pacquiao fight
Sorry, not sure where to post this...
To the UFC fan, the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) is here to provide a needed regulatory body to "clean up" the sport's PED problem. It sounds like a good deal at face value, but as long-time boxing journalist Thomas Hauser uncovered in an SB Nation longform, USADA is dealing with its own major credibility issues in boxing. Far and away the biggest controversy that has made the rounds on sports media is the IV use of Floyd Mayweather the night before his mega-fight with Manny Pacquiao back in May.
Materla vs Khalidov headlines KSW 33
One of the most anticipated middleweight fights outside of the UFC has finally been scheduled for November, as champion Michal Materla and superstar Mamed Khalidov headlines KSW 33 in Krakow.
Materla has held the KSW middleweight title since 2012 when he defeated Jay Silva to claim the Polish throne. Since then, he has amassed a four-fight win streak, including victories over Rodney Wallace, Kendall Grove, Jay Silva again. Most recently, he beat Polish MMA legend Tomasz Drwal.
No Correia, Tate, Zingano for Sarah Kaufman, who gets de Randamie at UFC on Fox 17
Sarah Kaufman had a trio of fights she was hoping for, but she’ll have to settle for a name that wasn’t on her list.
Kaufman (17-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) will meet Germaine de Randamie (5-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) in a women’s bantamweight bout at UFC on FOX 17, the UFC’s final show of 2015. UFC officials recently announced the booking, which first was reported by the Orlando Sentinel.
With the addition to the card, UFC on FOX 17 now includes:
Champ Rafael dos Anjos vs. Donald Cerrone – for lightweight title
Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem
Nate Diaz vs. Michael Johnson
C.B. Dollaway vs. Nate Marquardt
Tamdan McCrory vs. Josh Samman
Danny Castillo vs. Nik Lentz
Hayder Hassan vs. Vicente Luque
Jim Alers vs. Cole Miller
Leon Edwards vs. Kamaru Usman
Luiz Henrique vs. Francis Ngannou
Sarah Kaufman vs. Germaine de Randamie
Collier-Yang, Lim-Zaleski, Bang-Kuntz booked for UFC Fight Night 79 in South Korea
The UFC’s debut in South Korea in November has three new bouts added to the bill and a trio of fighters ready to compete in their home country.
Jake Collier (9-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) takes on Dongi Yang (12-3 MMA, 1-3 UFC) at middleweight; Hyun Gyu Lim (13-5-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) meets Elizeu Zaleski (14-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at welterweight; and Tae Hyun Bang (17-9 MMA, 1-2 UFC) fights Leo Kuntz (17-2-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC), also at 170 pounds, all at UFC Fight Night 79. UFC officials recently announced the new bouts. The Collier-Yang bout first was reported by Combat Press.
With the additions, the UFC Fight Night 79 lineup includes:
Thiago Alves vs. Benson Henderson
Mirko Filipovic vs. Anthony Hamilton
Dong Hyun Kim vs. Jorge Masvidal
Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alberto Mina
Doo Ho Choi vs. Sam Sicilia
Marco Beltran vs. Ning Guangyou
Hyun Gyu Lim vs. Elizeu Zaleski
Jake Collier vs. Dongi Yang
Tae Hyun Bang vs. Leo Kuntz
Bektic vs. Kawajiri, Sanchez vs. Scoggins set for TUF 22 Finale in Las Vegas
December’s TUF 22 Finale in “Sin City” continues to build with the addition of two new bouts.
Mirsad Bektic (10-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) is set to meet Tatsuya Kawajiri (34-8-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) in a featherweight bout, and Joby Sanchez (7-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) meets Justin Scoggins (10-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at flyweight. UFC officials recently announced the new bookings.
With the additions to the card, The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale now includes:
Frankie Edgar vs. Chad Mendes
Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
Evan Dunham vs. Joe Lauzon
Ryan LaFlare vs. Mike Pierce
Mirsad Bektic vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
Joby Sanchez vs. Justin Scoggins
With Kelvin Tiller out, Brian Grinnell now meets Vagab Vagabov at WSOF 23 in Phoenix
Just a week before the event, there has been a late change to the preliminary card lineup of next week’s WSOF 23 card in Arizona.
With the change, the complete WSOF 23 card now includes:
MAIN CARD (NBCSN, 10 p.m. ET)
Champ Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino – for lightweight title
Dave Branch vs. Teddy Holder – for inaugural light heavyweight title
Tito Jones vs. Timur Valiev
Ben Fodor vs. Roberto Yong
LaRue Burley vs. Brian Foster
PRELIMINARY CARD (MMAjunkie, 7 p.m. ET)
Brian Grinnell vs. Vagab Vagabov
Krasimir Mladenov vs. Clifford Starks
Estevan Payan vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
Danny Davis Jr. vs. Matthew Frincu
David Nuzzo vs. Andres Ponce
Joey Miolla vs. Randy Steinke
Jeff Fletcher vs. Benny Madrid
Bellator releases rules for next week's 'Dynamite' light heavyweight tournament
Here are the plans for the tournament:
* Two semifinal bouts and one tournament reserve bout will be contested over two five-minute rounds with a one-minute rest period. If any of the bouts are scored a draw, the bout is officially declared a draw, but the judges overseeing the fight will each cast a ballot on who they think should advance to the finals “by merit of his performance.”
* A minimum of 30 minutes will separate the end of the semis and the beginning of the finals
* The tournament final will be contested the same as a non-title fight, with three five-minute rounds and two one-minute rest periods. A draw will trigger the same process as the semifinals, only the fighter who gets the most votes will be declared the tournament’s winner.
* If a semifinal winner cannot advance due to injury, a “survivor” rule will put his opponent into the finals. If that opponent can’t advance, however, the winner of the tournament reserve bout will advance. To advance, all tournament participants need medical clearance.
* Fouls that end bouts will be addressed depending on whether the infraction was intentional or accidental. If an accidental foul renders the semifinal winner unable to continue, the uninjured fighter will advance, and the tournament reserve winner will remain on standby.
* If an intentional foul ends a semifinal bout, the fouling fighter will be disqualified and the fouled fighter will be “medically eliminated.” Then the tournament reserve winner will advance.
* If an accidental foul ends the finals before two rounds have been completed, the tournament is over without a winner. After two rounds, the bout gets judged on the completed rounds.
* Any additional circumstances not addressed by the rules will resolved by “the senior (CSAC) representative in conjunction with the Bellator regulatory affairs director.”
WSOF signs UFC, Strikeforce vet Caros Fodor and Cory Devela to multi-year deals
WSOF continues to build its roster with the addition of a pair of new fighters to the promotion.
Lightweight Caros Fodor (10-4) and middleweight Cory Devela (16-6) have signed multi-year deals with WSOF, the organization recently announced. Terms of the deals were not disclosed, nor were first opponents or fight dates for the two fighters.
WSOF next is in action next week with WSOF 23, which takes place in Phoenix.
‘Rowdy’ Bec Rawlings Calls Out Paige VanZant
UFC strawweight Paige VanZant is coming off of another dominating performance at UFC 191 this past Saturday, this time over TUF 20 competitor Alex Chambers. She beat her up for almost three full round before locking in an armbar in the third round.
Then, ‘Rowdy’ Bec Rawlings jumped in and put her name in the hat, asking VanZant what she has going on on Jan. 17, for UFC Fight Night 81.
Thomas Almeida, Anthony Birchak to meet in Sao Paulo
Thomas Almeida's next fight will be in his hometown.
The top prospect will meet Anthony Birchak at UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3 on Nov. 7 in Sao Paulo, the UFC confirmed Wednesday with MMA Fighting's Guilherme Cruz. The fight was first reported on Twitter by Front Row Brian.