Cyborg Makes Octagon Debut at UFC 198
One of the most feared fighters in the world is finally making her way to the Octagon, as Invicta FC featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino faces Leslie Smith at UFC 198 on May 14.
Report: UFC cuts ex-Strikeforce champ Rafael Cavalcante, Daniel Sarafian
Six years ago, Rafael Cavalcante stopped "King Mo" Lawal to become Strikeforce's new light heavyweight champion. After losing his first defense to Dan Henderson, "Feijao" wrecked Yoel Romero with a flying knee for what still stands to date as the only loss of Romero's career. Now, after a failed drug test in Strikeforce, as well as a stretch of just 1 win in 5 fights, Feijao is apparently finished as a UFC fighter. Matheus Costa of Brazil's Olimpo MMA reported on Saturday night that the UFC has handed Feijao is walking papers.
Feijao's (12-7, 1 NC) UFC run was nothing short of disastrous. He faded badly in his debut against Thiago Silva and was knocked out at the end or the 1st round back in June 2013. The 35-year-old did pick up his only UFC win just a few months later, quickly forcing Igor Pokrajac to tap to strikes in just 78 seconds. Since then, it's been all downhill over the past 3 years, as Feijao was easily beaten by Ryan Bader in 2014, stopped with elbows by Patrick Cummins in 2015, and unable to capitalize on Ovince Saint Preux's ankle injury this past February. The OSP showing was glaringly poor, as Feijao had opportunities to pull off an upset win with his opponent hobbled, but he was decidedly tepid in rounds 2-3 and offered zilch off of his back en route to a decision loss.
Report: Jason Saggo vs. Leandro Silva booked for UFC Fight Night 89 in Ottawa
After returning earlier this month from a lengthy layoff, it appears Canada’s Jason Saggo won’t waste any time getting back to work.
Saggo (11-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC), according to a report from Combate, has been booked for a fight with Brazil’s Leandro Silva (19-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) this summer in his home country. UFC officials have not yet made a formal announcement of the lightweight fight expected for UFC Fight Night 89.
The latest UFC Fight Night 89 card now includes:
Rory MacDonald vs. Stephen Thompson
Donald Cerrone vs. Patrick Cote
Jason Saggo vs. Leandro Silva
UFC's Marlon Vera opens GoFundMe page to help daughter with rare disorder
UFC bantamweight Marlon Vera (7-3-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) is asking for public help to assist his daughter with a rare disorder that prevents her from smiling.
The 23-year-old Ecuadorian recently launched a GoFundMe page to help fund the surgery Vera’s daughter, Ana Paula, needs to treat the rare condition known as Moebius syndrome.
The current goal for the campaign is $50,000.
ACB 32 Free Stream (YouTube)
Russian Promotion Absolute Combat Berkut hosting it's 32nd event "Battle of Lions" is available to watch on YouTube here:
Commentary from Luke 'Bigslow' Barnatt & Steve Cook-Abbott
'Maestro' Dong Hyun Kim set for lightweight bout with Polo Reyes at UFC 199
The lineup for the UFC’s return to Southern California in early June continues to build with the addition of a new lightweight bout.
South Korea’s ”Maestro” Dong Hyun Kim (13-7-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) – no, not “Stun Gun” – has been booked for a fight against Mexico’s Polo Reyes (5-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at UFC 199. UFC officials today announced the bout.
UFC 199 takes place June 4 at The Forum in Los Angeles and features a pair of title fights at the top of the card. Middleweight champ Luke Rockhold defends his title for the first time in a rematch with former champ Chris Weidman. And new bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz meets Urijah Faber in a long-awaited trilogy grudge match. UFC 199 has a main card on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Frank Mir says referee made 'good stoppage' in Mark Hunt fight, not considering retirement
The first thing some people said after Mark Hunt knocked Frank Mir out was that it was an early stoppage. The second thing said by some onlookers was that Mir should probably retire.
Mir, the former UFC heavyweight champion, doesn't really agree with either one of those things.
Foremost, Mir thought referee Marc Goddard did a good job stopping the fight when he did at UFC Fight Night 85 last weekend in Brisbane, Australia, Mir said on his Phone Booth Fighting podcast this week. Hunt landed a big right hand to Mir's ear and Mir dropped to his back in the second round. He was not unconscious, but he didn't have his druthers, either.
WSOF Global Expands Into Puerto Rico & Italy
World Series of Fighting – Global Championship (WSOF-GC) continues with the promotion of events around the world having recently entered into a strategic agreement with Royalty Combat in Puerto Rico to develop and build their talent across the Caribbean. WSOF-GC has also added Slam Fighting Championship to their list of affiliates, and will be hosting events under the WSOF Global banner in Italy.
“There are no shows too big or too small for true MMA fans,” states Zachary ‘Bootsy’ Harris, WSOF-GC Affiliate Coordinator. “I’ve traveled to some of the most remote areas in the world to see talented fighters that most people haven’t ever heard of yet. This is a great opportunity for us to work with Royalty Combat and Slam FC to help showcase them on a much grander scale. At the end of the day, we want to promote the sport and help it continue to thrive. Showcasing organizations like these will allow us to do that, and to find the best new talent.”
Former UFC strawweight champ Carla Esparza 'ready to fight,' eyes UFC 199 return
Carla Esparza has mostly dropped off the radar since losing the UFC women’s strawweight title more than one year ago. Now “The Cookie Monster” wants to get back to work.
Esparza (10-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) has been largely out of sight since she was dismantled by Joanna Jedrzejczyk (11-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) to lose the UFC championship by second-round TKO at UFC 185 in March 2015.
Part of that layoff came by choice due to the fact Esparza had fought five times in less than a year between winning “The Ultimate Fighter 20,” capturing the inaugural 115-pound title and attempting to defend it. The remaining time, however, came as the result of injury.
UFC Planning to Renew ‘Fight for the Troops’ Series in 2016
For the first time in three years, the Ultimate Fighting Championship will host a “Fight for the Troops” event.
The news was revealed in a press release announcing the Las Vegas-based promotion’s renewed partnership with Harley-Davidson, an agreement that includes extensive military ties.
"As a core sponsor since 2007, Harley has played a vital role in the growth of our sport, as our audiences align perfectly with riding enthusiasts and fight fans,” UFC Executive Vice President of Global Marketing Partnerships Mike Mossholder said in a release. “Two pillar programs of our new partnership surround two passionate initiatives for both brands: A military program that provides benefits to both active and non-active military personnel, as well as first responders and Harley riders socializing at their local dealerships to watch UFC Pay-Per-View events.”
UFC Fight Night 85 medical suspensions: Frank Mir, Hector Lombard given potential 180-day suspensions
Frank Mir and Hector Lombard headlined a list of seven fighters to be given extended medical suspensions in the aftermath of the recent UFC Fight Night 85 event in Brisbane, Australia. The UFC, acting as its own sanctioning body for the international event, released its list of medical suspensions Thursday to MixedMartialArts.com, the official record keeper of the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC).
The complete list of UFC Fight Night 85's medical suspensions can be seen below.
Frank Mir: 180 days or cleared with head and neck CT scan; 45 days no fight, 30 days no contact
Hector Lombard: 180 days or cleared with head CT scan; 45 days no fight, 30 days no contact
Antonio Carlos Junior: 180 days or cleared by ENT specialist; 60 days no fight, 45 days no contact
James Te Huna: 180 days or clearance with head CT scan; 60 days no fight, 45 days no contact
Alan Jouban: 180 days or clearance with left elbow MRI
Richard Walsh: 180 days or cleared with negative right forearm x-ray
Chad Laprise: 180 days or cleared with negative right hand x-ray
Johnny Case: 45 days no fight, 30 days no contact
Neil Magny: 30 days no fight, 21 days no contact
Brendan O'Reilly: 30 days no fight, 21 days no contact
Rin Nakai: 30 days no fight, 21 days no contact
Ross Pearson: 30 days no fight, 21 days no contact
Mark Hunt: 7 days mandatory rest
Jake Matthews: 7 days mandatory rest
Daniel Kelly: 7 days mandatory rest
Steve Bosse: 7 days mandatory rest
Bec Rawlings: 7 days mandatory rest
Seohee Ham: 7 days mandatory rest
Daniel Hooker: 7 days mandatory rest
Mark Eddiva: 7 days mandatory rest
Leslie Smith: 7 days mandatory rest
Viscardi Andrade: 7 days mandatory rest
Alan Patrick: 7 days mandatory rest
Damien Brown: 7 days mandatory rest
Newcomer Luiz Henrique da Silva meets Jonathan Wilson at UFC 199
Undefeated Brazilian newcomer Luiz Henrique da Silva will make his octagon debut this summer, as he meets Jonathan Wilson.
UFC officials today announced the bout for UFC 199, which takes place June 4 at The Forum in Los Angeles and features a pair of championship matchups.
With the addition to the card, UFC 199 now includes:
Champ Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman – for middleweight title
Champ Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber – for bantamweight championship
Bobby Green vs. Dustin Poirier
Evan Dunham vs. Leonardo Santos
Kevin Casey vs. Elvis Mutapcic
Luis Henrique vs. Jonathan Wilson
MMAWeekly.com HOT OFF THE WIRE Venator FC Adds Six Fighters to Growing Roster
After the recent signing of controversial fighters as Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares and Jason “Mayhem” Miller Venator Fighting Championship’s roster continues to grow with today’s addition of many international superstars as Cody McKenzie, Karl Amoussou, Simeon Thoresen, Peter Queally, Igor Araujo, Jack Hermansson along with the already signed Luke Barnatt, Matt Hamill, Sokoudjou, Che Mills, Karl Moore and more.
All these fighters will fight at “Venator Fighting Championship III” card scheduled for May, 21 at the Palasesto Arena in Milan, Italy.
Take a look at the official fight card below:
Welterweight Title Fight: Rousimar Palhares (18-6) vs Emil Weber Meek (7-2-1, 1 NC)
Middleweight Title Fight: Luke Barnatt (9-3) vs. Jason Miller (23-9, 1 NC)
Light Heavyweight Fight: Sokoudjou (16-14) vs Matt Hamill (11-6)
Welterweight Fight: Karl Amoussou (21-7-2) vs Simeon Thoresen (17-6-1)
Middleweight Fight: Igor Araujo (25-8, 1NC) vs Marvin Vettori (9-2)
Welterweight Fight: Peter Queally (8-2) vs Giorgio Pietrini (5-3)
Welterweight Fight: Cody McKenzie (15-8) vs Daniele Scatizzi (6-2)
Welterweight Fight: Che Mills (16-8, 2NC) vs Roberto Rigamonti (4-2-1)
Light Heavyweight Title Fight: Karl Moore (6-1) vs Pietro Cappelli (1-1)
Middleweight Fight: Jack Hermansson (11-2) vs to be announced
Lightweight Title Fight: Leonardo Zecchi (13-8-1) vs Alessandro Botti (12-5)
Bantamweight Title Fight: Cristian Binda (10-10) vs Davide Baneschi (7-3)
Featherweight Title Fight: Federico Mini (4-0-1) vs Ciro Ruotolo (4-3-1)
Middeweight Fight: Stefan Croitoru (6-1-1) vs Mattia Schiavolin (12-2-2)
Featherweight Fight: Danyel Pilò (3-1-2) vs Luca Puggioni (9-9-1, 1NC)
Light Heavyweight Fight: Matteo Minonzio (21-19) vs Franco De Martiis (2-4)
Lightweight Fight: Daniele Miceli (2-0) vs to be announced
Middleweight Fight: Cristian Magro (8-4) vs Marco Zuzolo (1-1)
Welterweight Fight: Stefano Paternò (3-1) vs Andrea Fusi (0-0)
Lightweight Fight: Manolo Zecchini (3-0) vs Dennis Coste (2-1)
Daron Cruickshank signs with Rizin FF, set to debut in April
Former UFC fighter Daron Cruickshank has found a new home.
Cruickshank has inked a new deal with Rizin Fighting Federation, MMAFighting.com has learned. "The Detroit Superstar" will meet Shinji Sasaki in a lightweight bout on the second Rizin FF card, which is scheduled to take place April 17 at the Nippon Gaishi Hall in Nagoya, Japan.
Cruickshank (16-8) was recently released by the UFC after losing his third fight in a row. The Ultimate Fighter season 15 competitor had been in the organization since 2012.
Titan FC signs Gesias Cavalcante, adds three fights to Titan 38
Titan FC is chugging along nicely.
The promotion recently signed Strikeforce and DREAM veteran Gesias Cavalcante to a deal and he will debut in June, Titan CEO Jeff Aronson told MMA Fighting on Wednesday.
Execs have also been busy putting together Titan 38, which takes place April 30 in Miami. Aronson said three new fights have been added to the card: Peter Petties vs. Caio Rocha, Jack May vs. Chase Sherman and Sid Bice vs. Pedro Nobre. The card will air on UFC Fight Pass.