World Series of Fighting adds fourth title fight to New York City debut card
A fight card with three title bouts is an infrequent thing. Four championship fights? Almost unheard of.
World Series of Fighting, however, will make the four-title-fight card a reality when it debuts in New York City on Dec. 31.
The company announced Monday that middleweight champion and NYC native David Branch will put his title on the line against Louis Taylor at WSOF 34 at The Theater at Madison Square Garden.
"Flash" Gordon injured, Shane Burgos steps in for Interim Title Shot
Jared "Flash" Gordon looked to make it three in a row with a win at CFFC 61. Having won the Featherweight Title at CFFC 59 by spectacular knockout, he took a short notice fight at lightweight and doubled down with a win at CFFC 60.
With a full training camp under his belt, Gordon was set to take on Adam Ward at CFFC 61 this Halloween weekend at the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa in Atlantic City; unfortunately, due to injury Gordon will be unable to compete.
Ready to step up and top off this all-star event, "Hurricane" Shane Burgos was scheduled to fight Toby Misech on the main card of the same event. With Gordon's absence the Burgos vs Misech bout has been changed to an Interim Title Fight.
UFC 207: Johny Hendricks ‘done’ with MMA with loss to Neil Magny
Johny Hendricks used to be the best 170-pound fighter in the world.
Fast forward a few years and Hendricks, 33, is now trying to climb his way out of an 0-2 hole after dropping three of his last four and plummeting to No. 7 in the official UFC rankings.
“The last two I have lost, fair and square, I know I have,” Hendricks told ESPN’s Five Rounds podcast. “Realistically, if I go out there — and hey, crazier things have happened — I go out there and lose, that’s when it’s time to say ‘I’m done.’ I’m not gonna keep fighting to hopefully find a person I can beat.”
Jon Jones' lawyer reveals USADA test results, claims supplement was deemed 'contaminated'
The clash between former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) continues in full force after "Bones" tested positive for banned substances prior to UFC 200 this past July. Jones has proclaimed he will return to action soon while a generic form of Cialis has been pinpointed as a possible reason why the 29-year-old popped under USADA watch.
It now seems as if Jones is even closer to exonerating himself and returning to a sport he has dominated his entire career. According to Jones' lawyer, Howard Jacobs, the independent tests that USADA administered on the substances Jones took earlier this year have all come back positive, marking the entire crop "contaminated."
Heading into UFC 205, Joanna Jedrzejczyk looking for a new manager who will ‘bring me some money’
Heading into her fourth title defense against Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC 205, UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk has been undergoing a good many changes. For starters she has settled on a steady training camp with American Top Team in Florida, after a nomadic stint of stopping into different gyms across the country.
She also recently parted ways with her manager, Tiago Okamura, making her a free agent for business. As for that second thing, Jedrzejczyk said she’s open for discussion with any managers who might thing they can represent her.
"I am waiting for a good offer," the 29-year old Polish champion said. "Bring me some money, and that’s all what I want from my manager. I’m here. I’m in the U.S."
UFC cuts 13 fighters from roster as cutbacks continue
The UFC's week of cutbacks ends with news that several fighters will no longer compete in the promotion.
MMAFighting.com has learned from sources that 13 fighters were recently released from their contracts. This comes just a few days after many from the front office, including several high-ranking officials, were let go under new ownership group WME-IMG.
Pat Lundvall’s Nevada Athletic Commission appointment coming to an end
One of the country's most high-profile athletic commissioners is coming to the end of her run.
Pat Lundvall's appointment on the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) will end this month after nine years, sources told MMA Fighting. Her last day will be Oct. 31 and she will not be re-appointed. Lundvall confirmed the info to MMA Fighting on Saturday afternoon.
Alexander Gustafsson Expected to Be Out Indefinitely
At one point in time, Sweden’s Alexander Gustafsson was one of the most feared light heavyweights in the sport of mixed martial arts. He had lost only once in 16 pro fights and was riding a dominant six-fight winning streak.
But when he finally got a crack at the 205-pound title against then-champ Jon Jones at UFC 162 three years ago, he gave it everything he had and came up short after five grueling rounds. But from that point forward, “The Mauler” has had nothing but terrible luck in and out of the Octagon.
'The Ultimate Fighter 25' starts filming in January, 'all-star' concept in play
The next season of “The Ultimate Fighter” is expected to end up featuring some familiar names.
MMAjunkie today confirmed “The Ultimate Fighter 25” is currently casting for a January filming start, with the show expected to debut on FS1 in April.
While exact details of the season are still undetermined, UFC officials told MMAjunkie that welterweights are likely to be featured on “TUF 25.” And rather than bring in a cast of unknowns, the promotion currently is targeting a group of “all-stars” to compete on the show, including UFC veterans and former contestants on previous editions of “The Ultimate Fighter.”
Additionally, despite rumors of the show’s termination with new owners WME-IMG in place, UFC officials firmly shot down such reports and insisted “TUF 25” is proof of the promotion’s commitment to the long-running reality series.
USADA suspends UFC’s Abdul-Kerim Edilov 15 months for meldonium
Abdul-Kerim Edilov has yet to make his UFC debut, and he’ll have to wait longer still.
The Chechen light heavyweight has been given a 15-month suspension by USADA for testing positive for the prohibited substance meldonium in an out-of-competition drug test back in January, the UFC’s anti-doping partner announced Friday. His suspension is retroactive to Jan. 7, 2016, the date the sample was collected. Edilov will be eligible for his first UFC fight in April.
UFC releases ‘Bigfoot’ Silva
There won’t be any "Bigfoot" sightings in the UFC again any time soon.
The promotion released Antonio Silva recently after a rough stretch for the former elite heavyweight, MMA Fighting confirmed with UFC officials Friday.
Kevin Ferguson Jr.'s debut delayed after opponent misses weight by 17 pounds
The son of the legendary Kimbo Slice had his pro mixed martial arts debut delayed once again.
Kevin "Baby Slice" Ferguson Jr. was supposed to compete against Ray Bing in a 165-pound catchweight fight on Friday at Bellator 162 in Memphis. But the bout was called off Thursday when Bing, who was also making his pro debut, missed weight by a whopping 17 pounds. MMAFighting.com confirmed the news after an initial report by FloCombat.com.