Officials: WSOF 30 main card complete with Heun-Magalhaes, Azaitar-Davis Jr.
The lineup is set for next month’s “WSOF 30: Branch vs. Starks” televised main card.
Officials today announced two new additions to the card, which takes place April 2 at Las Vegas’ Hard Rock Hotel & Casino. The main card airs on NBCSN following prelims on MMAjunkie.
The latest WSOF 30 card now includes:
MAIN CARD (NBCSN, 11 p.m. ET)
Champ David Branch vs. Clifford Starks – for middleweight title
Jon Fitch vs. Joao Zeferino – for vacant welterweight title
Jake Heun vs. Vinny Magalhaes
Abu Azaitar vs. Danny Davis Jr.
WSOF champ Justin Gaethje: I'm going to fight my 2 fights and then see what I'm worth
WSOF lightweight Justin Gaethje wants to finish out his WSOF contract and then join the free-agent sweepstakes that’s sweeping MMA.
Gaethje (16-0) said he has two fights remaining on his current contract, and once completed, and he plans to find out what numbers he can fetch with promotions competing for his talent.
“I’ve made an investment in my career, and I love World Series and I want to stay with them, but I have two fights left, (and) I’m going to make them impressive, win or lose,” he today told MMAjunkie Radio. “I’m OK staying with World Series, but I’m going to see what I’m worth.”
Francis Ngannou Gets Replacement Opponent Curtis Blaydes for UFC Fight Night Zagreb
Ultimate Fighting Championship has made an alteration to next month’s UFC Fight Night card in Zagreb, Croatia.
UFC’s French division on Monday announced that heavyweight Francis Ngannou -- who was scheduled to meet Bojan Mihajlovic at the April 10 event -- will instead face unbeaten prospect Curtis Blaydes in a three-round tilt. The reason for Mihajlovic’s withdrawal from the bout was not specified.
Renato Moicano vs. Zubaira Tukhugov added to UFC 198 in Brazil
May’s UFC 198 event in Brazil has a new featherweight matchup, officials today announced.
Renato Moicano (9-0-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Zubaira Tukhugov (18-3 MMA, 3-0 UFC) are now slated to fight at the event.
The latest UFC 198 card includes:
Champ Fabricio Werdum vs. Stipe Miocic – for heavyweight title
Vitor Belfort vs. Ronaldo Souza
Matt Brown vs. Demian Maia
Patrick Cummins vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Warlley Alves vs. Bryan Barberena
Yancy Medeiros vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Nate Marquardt vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos
Sergio Moraes vs. Kamaru Usman
Evan Dunham vs. Leonardo Santos
Renato Moicano vs. Zubaira Tukhugov
Dustin Poirier vs. Bobby Green set for UFC 199
Lightweight contender Dustin Poirier will face Bobby Green at UFC 199 on June 4th in Inglewood, California.
Fresh off both an impressive win over Joseph Duffy, as well as a new contract with the UFC, #10 ranked lightweight Dustin Poirier is set to make his return on June 4th against an opponent who has been out of action since late 2014. Brian Martin of the LA Daily News reported on Monday that "The Diamond" will fight Bobby Green at UFC 199 at The Forum in Inglewood, California. UFC officials have since confirmed the matchup.
Poirier (19-4), a former featherweight contender, went back up to 155 lbs after suffering a 1st round knockout loss to Conor McGregor at UFC 178. The move has paid off well for the 27-year-old, who stopped Diego Ferreira, Yancy Medeiros (at a catchweight when Medeiros came in heavy), and most recently scored a unanimous decision against Duffy. Last month, it was announced that Poirier had agreed to a new deal with the UFC, with the Duffy fight representing the penultimate one on his old contract.
Matt Mittrione signs with bellator
For the first time in his professional MMA career, Matt Mitrione will fight for an organization other than the UFC.
Mitrione (9-5 MMA, 9-5 UFC), who first joined the UFC in 2009 after a quarterfinal-round finish on “The Ultimate Fighter 10,” has signed an exclusive four-fight contract with Bellator.
Damien “Beatdown” Brown signs with the UFC, steps up to face Alan Patrick at UFC Fight Night 85 in Brisbane
Australian lightweight standout Damien Brown has signed with the UFC and will step up for a short notice opportunity at UFC Fight Night 85 in Brisbane.
Brown (15-8 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will square off with Brazilian Alan Patrick (12-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at the event, which takes place on March 20 at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Queensland. News of the announcement was revealed via The Courier Mail.
Patrick was originally expected to face Chad Laprise in Brisbane, however Ross Pearson’s opponent, Abel Trujillo, was forced off the card after encountering visa issues and Laprise was slotted in as a replacement to face the Brit.
Nick Hein vs. Jon Tuck added to UFC Fight Night 87 in Rotterdam
A lightweight matchup between German product Nick Hein (13-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Guam’s Jon Tuck (9-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) has been added to UFC Fight Night 87.
UFC officials recently announced the new contest.
Featuring a heavyweight headliner between top contenders Alistair Overeem and Andrei Arlovski, UFC Fight Night 87 takes place May 8 at Ahoy Rotterdam in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
The night’s official bout order has yet to be released, but UFC Fight Night 87’s main card airs on FOX Sports 1 following prelims that air on FOX Sports 1 and stream on UFC Fight Pass.
WSOF 29 results: Justin Gaethje finishes Brian Foster in the first with crushing leg kicks
Justin Gaethje flashed his trademarked reckless if ferocious style on Saturday night as the WSOF lightweight champion retained his title after stopping Brian Foster with leg kicks in the first round.
Foster got right to work after the opening bell with jabs to the body and attempted forward pressure. within 30 seconds, the two exchanged heavily with an assortment of reactionary punches. Foster was able to tag him, but was dropped by Gaethje.. The challenger, however, was able to get to his feet without taking additional damage.
Chris Leben offers details of physical condition: 'Basically, my heart is failing'
In February, former UFC middleweight Chris Leben and Bellator MMA announced 'The Crippler' would return to mixed martial arts under the auspices of Scott Coker's circular cage. Yet, less than a month later, it was revealed Leben's return to the sport would be shortlived. In pre-fight medical exams, doctors found Leben had a debilitating and dangerous heart condition, prompting Bellator to pass on bringing Leben back.
On Friday, Leben appeared on The Luke Thomas Show on SiriusXM to detail the nature of his physical condition, the struggle to end his physical dependency on prescription medication and more.
Nguyen vs. Scoggins scrapped, Laprise now meets Pearson in UFC Fight Night 85 shuffle
Next week’s UFC Fight Night 85 has undergone a bit of a facelift, as a handful of changes were announced late Friday night by promotion officials.
First, injury has forced flyweight Justin Scoggins (11-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) to withdraw from the contest, and a planned fight with Ben Nguyen (14-5 MMA, 2-0 UFC) has been scrapped.
Additionally, lightweight Abel Trujillo (13-7 MMA, 4-3 UFC) encountered issues securing a visa and has been pulled from a planned matchup with Ross Pearson (18-10 MMA, 10-7 UFC). UFC officials have since elected to match Pearson with Canadian Chad Laprise (10-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC), instead, leaving Laprise’s opponent, Alan Patrick (12-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC), without a fight for the time being.
UFC officials are currently looking to fill that void.
Featuring a heavyweight fight between Mark Hunt and Frank Mir, UFC Fight Night 85 takes place Sunday, March 20 at Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Due to the time change, the card airs on FOX Sports 1 and streams on UFC Fight Pass on Saturday, March 19 in the U.S.
GLORY, Spike TV and the divide between sports and entertainment
Kimbo Slice, GLORY kickboxer. That was almost a thing last year.
GLORY CEO Jon Franklin told MMA Fighting this week that he and his staff discussed the possibility of bringing the wildly popular former streetfighter in for a bout. Slice had competed in boxing before and, obviously, had a history in MMA. At the time, Slice was already on the Bellator MMA roster and GLORY and Bellator shared a television network, Spike TV.
Talks ceased pretty quickly, though. Nothing personal against Slice, but GLORY execs didn't want to compromise the promotion's identity as the top kickboxing organization in the world by putting forth a subpar product.
Matt Mitrione has 'very nice' Bellator offer, but 'unfinished business in UFC'
Matt Mitrione is at a career crossroads, but not a desperate one. Despite dropping his last two fights in the UFC (albeit the last one against Travis Browne ending on controversial terms), Mitrione is not begging for work or desperate for attention. In fact, he has a lot of options. The only question is which path he'll take, not so much which path is better.
"I'm in a good spot, man," Mitrione said on Monday's The MMA Hour.
According to Mitrione, who fought out his UFC contract to seek free agency, he's received an offer from Bellator. While specifics were not detailed, Mitrione was quick to note the deal Bellator offered is quite alright by him.
Ken Shamrock, Kimbo Slice Test Positive for Banned Substances at Bellator 149
Both Ken Shamrock and Kimbo Slice have failed drug tests ahead of their bouts at Bellator 149 in Houston on Feb. 19.
Sherdog.com learned of Shamrock’s positive test from a source close to the situation. MMAFighting.com reports that Slice also tested positive for a banned substance prior to the event. It is currently unknown for which substances the fighters tested positive.
Sherdog.com recently filed a records request with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation for drug tests results from the event. However, the results for Shamrock and Slice were redacted due to pending litigation. According to MMAFighting.com, both fighters have been received an administrative suspension from TDLR. Competitors on the card had their urine tested prior to the event.
Felipe Olivieri flagged for potential USADA anti-doping violation
The UFC announced Friday that Felipe Oliveiri is under scrutiny for a potential anti-doping policy violation. The Brazilian, who lost to Tony Martin via submission in his promotional debut on Jan. 30, tested clean for prohibited substances on fight night, but an out-of-competition test came with a different result.
The UFC’s statement can be read below.
The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Felipe Olivieri of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collection. Although the sample collected from Olivieri following his bout at UFC Fight Night: Johnson vs. Bader on January 30, 2016, was reported as negative for prohibited substances, a sample collected from him in Brazil earlier that month, and analyzed at the WADA accredited laboratory in Rio de Janeiro, was recently reported to USADA as containing a prohibited substance.
USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case involving Olivieri, as it relates to the UFC Anti-Doping Policy and future UFC participation. Because Olivieri participated in a bout sanctioned by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board after the sample in question was collected, USADA will work to ensure that the Board has the necessary information to determine the appropriate course of action under the Board’s rules.
Dana White: UFC 196 did 1.5 million PPV buys
Despite a late replacement in the main event and two memorable upsets in the top two feature fights, UFC 196 appears to have broken all previous pay-per-view records.
According to the promotion's president Dana White, UFC 196 seemingly earned a 1.5 million PPV buy rate, which puts it ahead of UFC 100 and all over landmark events in the promotion's history.
"People have been telling me 'what are you going to do when Chuck Liddell retires?' then 'what are you going to do when GSP is gone?' There is always new great fighters coming down the pipeline," White told ESPN's Max & Marcellus. "In this sport, we put the best against the best, or sometimes we do crazy stuff like on Saturday night, where Conor McGregor says 'I want to fight Nate Diaz. I'll fight him at 170 [pounds].'
Dana White: Conor McGregor’s Going to ‘Fight on UFC 200’
Featherweight champion Conor McGregor was not medically suspended following his second-round loss to Nate Diaz at UFC 196 on March 5, and the Irishman is expected fight on the UFC 200 fight card on July 9.
Conor-McGregor-UFC-196-wo-01-750x370“He wants to fight again as soon as possible. He wants to jump back in there, and he wants to fight again. We’re working on who the next opponent will be,” UFC president Dana White said during a recent appearance on ESPN Radio.
During the UFC 196 post-fight press conference, McGregor said he’d likely defend his 145-pound title in his next fight. It would be his first title defense, and according to White, “The Notorious” will fight again at UFC 200.
Seven months after giving birth, Stephanie Eggink taking wait-and-see approach to MMA comeback
Stephanie Eggink was just a few months removed from almost becoming the Invicta women's strawweight champion when she got life-altering news: She was pregnant.
Despite her standing as one of the top 115-pound fighters in the world, Eggink considered hanging up the gloves when she found out she was having a son.
"I didn't know what I wanted to do," she told MMA Fighting. "Your priorities instantly change the second you find out you're pregnant. But I'm a fighter. I'm still a fighter."
And she will be that again Friday night when she makes her return against Angela Hill at Invicta FC 16 at Trinidad Pavilion at the Tropicana Las Vegas. Eggink's son Ronan was born just seven months ago and her training didn't miss a beat.
"A lot of people said there was no way I was gonna get back in there within the year and in seven months here I am," Eggink said. "That's a big hurdle for me. I have a 12-pack again and I just had a kid."