Dana White: UFC to Portland on Nov. 15, Las Vegas on Jan. 31
The UFC will, in fact, head to Portland, Ore., for a UFC 91 event on Nov. 15, and UFC President Dana White also confirmed the organization's traditional SuperBowl weekend card will take place on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.
As reported earlier this week, the UFC had been in talks with the Oregon State Athletic Commission to host an event at Portland's Rose Garden Arena. It'll be the UFC's first event in the state.
White confirmed that the upcoming event will feature a lightweight bout between contender Kenny Florian and Joe Stevenson. He also gave an update on Wanderlei Silva.
Although Silva previously stated that he expected to return at the organization's year-end Dec. 27 card, White said the booking isn't a done deal and that he's "thinking [Silva's] not going to be on that (card) at this point."
Kang vs Eastman at Raw Combat
Las Vegas’ own Marvin Eastman (Pictures) is finally set to return to action. The veteran of King of the Cage, the WFA and the UFC, as well as dozens of muay Thai and K-1 fights is scheduled to tackle Denis Kang (Pictures) at RAW Combat on Oct. 25 in Alberta, Canada.
Brock Lesnar vs. Cheick Kongo in November?
Big news, ladies and gents: Our own Jeffrey Lee has tracked down the "International Man of Mystery" himself, Cheick Kongo. Not sure how he did it but good on him for doing so. Stay tuned for his interview with the Frenchman in the coming days.
In the meantime, we leave you with these two little nuggets:
Kongo on Brock Lesnar:
"There's really nothing that worries me too much with Brock Lesnar."
So, wait, are these two behemoths about to get it on?
Well, according to a member of Kongo's management team the answer is yes:
"Cheick has been contacted about his next fight. It should be Lesnar maybe in November or December."
Mikey Gomez Florida's #1 unsigned Mixed Martial Artist
Check out all the Interviews by Penny Buffington on
Here is just part of the Interview from Mikey Gomez who was voted #1 unsigned Fighter in Florida!!!!!!!
"Gomez is fighting Charley Blanchard for the welterweight title. On Thursday August 15, 2008 I spoke with a happy Mikey. He told me, “I am really excited to fight for the Cage Warriors belt. I’m fighting a really tough aponant named Charley Blanchard from American Top Team. I’ve been training really hard for this upcoming belt and now I’m just tweaking up my game in preparation for it.” - Mikey Gomez
Check out the Full interview by Penny Buffington on
Hermes Franca 'Ready to Show My Full Potential'
Hermes Franca 'Ready to Show My Full Potential'
By Dave Carpinello
UFC Lightweight contender Hermes Franca took some time to talk with PDG after his trip to New York about his comeback, future opponents and his upcoming fight with Gleison Tibau at UFC 90 in Chicago.
PDG: All right, let's talk just a little bit about the past; did it bother you at all that you served a full one-year suspension and Sean Sherk only had to sit out six months?
Franca: It doesn't bother me because it was my problem and my fault. I told the commission the truth and it doesn't matter to me what Sherk told them. It is just great to be back and the commission has a lot of great guys that came up to me at my last fight and told me they were glad to have me back. They told me I was the man and I had balls because I told the truth which apparently a lot of people don't.
Cory Devela To Meet Terry Martin At "The Mansion"
Strikeforce recently announced that middleweight rising star Cory Devela will meet the recently KO'd Terry Martin at "Strikeforce at the Mansion II" which will take place on Sept. 20 at the "Playboy Mansion".
Devela hasn't lost since his June '04 bout against Ed "Short Fuse" Herman. His only other loss came against Matt Horwich in Devela's pro debut. He most recently defeated Dan Molina via unanimous decision at an Xtreme Cage Combat event in April. He also holds wins over Joe Riggs and Lodune Sincaid.
EliteXC issues KJ Noons 24-hour deadline to accept Nick Diaz fight
EliteXC officials have distributed a fight agreement and set a deadline for EliteXC 160-pound champion KJ Noons (7-2) to accept an Oct. 4 title fight with challenger Nick Diaz (18-7).
EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw contacted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) late Wednesday to discuss the deadline that the organization set.
"A bout agreement has been sent to KJ Noons," Shaw said. "He has until 5 (p.m. PT Thursday) to accept it, or he can face public opinion."
That public opinion has already been decidedly mixed since MMAjunkie.com reported Noons' unwillingness to commit to the bout earlier today. Shaw claims he has been unable to contact Noons' camp but hinted that the fighter may be unhappy with his contracted pay.
Yoshiro Maeda vs. Rani Yahya WEC fight booked for Hard Rock
A solid bantamweight fight between Yoshiro Maeda (23-5-2) and Rani Yahya (12-4) was announced by the WEC today for its at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Fla., on September 10.
We all remember Maeda from his three round war against division kingpin Miguel Torres at WEC 34 in June. Unfortunately for the Japanese fighter, he wasn’t able to answer the bell for the fourth round because of a doctor’s stoppage.
But he was able to open a lot of eyes with the way he went toe-to-toe with the champ, who is widely considered to be a top 10 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. It’s a step up in competition for anyone when they face Torres, and Maeda was ready for the challenge.
However, he can’t expect a huge drop off in talent when he faces Rani Yahya. Obviously, the 23-year-old Brazilian has a long way to go in his development as a complete mixed martial artist, but the kid is a submission whiz, boasting 10 wins by way of tapout.
OZZY OSBOURNE GOES MMA
Las Vegas – Heavy metal legend Ozzy Osbourne will perform live at Affliction “Day of Reckoning” on Saturday, Oct. 11 at the Thomas & Mack Center. Presented by Roy Englebrecht Events, Donald J. Trump, Affliction Entertainment in association with Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino, the mixed martial arts event will be the first Affliction show in the Las Vegas area.
“To bring the ‘Godfather of Heavy Metal’ to our event is a dream come true,” said Tom Atencio, vice president of Affliction Entertainment. “An incredible fight card combined with Ozzy’s live performance, our fight in Las Vegas will be an unforgettable event.”
With a career spanning for more than 37 years, Ozzy has entertained in front of millions worldwide. The Grammy Award-winning rocker has released more than 20 solo albums including his first solo record, the multi-platinum Blizzard of Ozz to 2007’s success of Black Rain. Ozzy has continuously released chart-topping hits including “Dreamer,” “No More Tears” and “Mamma I’m Coming Home.” In 2002, Ozzy and his family gained national appeal with their record-breaking reality show “The Osbournes” on MTV. From singing sensation to reality star, Ozzy Osbourne epitomizes the free artistic expression that transcends true rock culture around the globe.
Tito Ortiz: The Barry Bonds of MMA?
Steve Cofield makes the argument:
Barry Bonds is desperate to get back on the baseball field. So much so that his $15-18 million asking price is now down to the major league minimum. His agent Jeff Borris told Ryen Russillo of ESPNRadio that Bonds would play this year for the minimum salary. Borris said, "What other option does he have?"
Is fighter Tito Ortiz going to face a similar fate in the MMA world? This is not to say Ortiz has been involved in a drug scandal like Bonds but the slugger is out of baseball as much for his attitude as the steroid mess. Ortiz may be developing the reputation that he's a guy who is impossible to work with.
Cofield also brings up recent remarks by Affliction COO Michael D. Cohen about Tito's asking price being "more than ANY league could afford."
Tito has clearly wildly over-estimated his current market value. I expect the UFC will re-sign a sadder but wiser Tito when it's all said and done.
Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson? Florian Eyes Frankie Edgar Instead
ESPN's Franklin McNeil (grrooooaaannnn) has talked to both Florian and Edgar. Both, it seems, believe they need a fight with each other to earn a shot at BJ Penn's title. Notable quote:
"Like Kenny, I want to fight the best in my division and right now he might be the No. 1 contender. So, fighting him is kind of a no-brainer. I want to get one [fight] in before the year is out. I would prefer November, but I would wait around to fight Kenny in December."
As for having his name mentioned prominently by Florian? That's fine by Edgar.
"It kind of gives me some recognition," Edgar said. "For a guy like Kenny to consider me as a formidable opponent; he's fought for the title and he's on a lot of people's list for a possible future title shot. So, it's good for me.
"I don't think Kenny's really calling me out; he's just making a statement that he wants to fight tough opponents."
Florian and Edgar are friends. The dropping of Edgar's name was not a show of disrespect by Florian.
"As an athlete, I have a lot of respect for [Frankie Edgar] for what he's accomplished," Florian said. "I respect him as a fighter and a person.
"It was the same with Roger Huerta. I had nothing against Roger; I liked Roger. But he was the best opponent available at the time. … It's nothing personal.
"I want to fight Frankie because he's a great fighter. That's the most important thing. It's about respect, and beating someone like Frankie Edgar will get me more respect."
Kimbo Slice vs. Sean Gannon Rematch Likely on CBS
Josh Gross is reporting that Sean Gannon is leading the pack to face Kimbo Slice on the October 4th EliteXC card on CBS:
Three names keep popping up as the next opponent for Kimbo Slice on Oct. 4: Brett Rogers, Ken Shamrock and ... wait for it ... Sean Gannon.
And so, that leaves Gannon, a Boston police officer who defeated Slice in the most famous of the Miami street brawler's underground fight videos. If you'll recall, the UFC tried to capitalize on the YouTube-famed fight by signing Gannon in 2005, but Branden Lee Hinkle pounded him out in less than a round. Since then, Gannon has sat on the sidelines flirting with a big payday and a chance to rematch Slice on a larger stage.
CBS would be the largest.
At this point, unfortunately, signs are pointing to Gannon. The story works for CBS -- it's an easy sell and Kimbo shouldn't face much of a threat. It's perfect all around. That is, unless you think circus fights have no place in MMA, particularly in front of six million viewers.
EliteXC and Affliction Drug Test Failures Will be Announced Tomorrow
Dave Meltzer reports that the California State Athletic Comission has announced that there was one failure for drugs on each show, and the people who failed will be announced tomorrow. No word on why they're turning this into such a dramatic event:
Bill Douglas of the CSAC released that B samples have been returned positive for one fighter on both the July 19th Affliction show in Anaheim and the July 25 EliteXC CBS card in Stockton.
The names will be released tomorrow after notification of the promotions and fighters. Douglas also announced Fabio Negao and Matt Lindland on the Affliction show are clear, as are Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith on the EliteXC show.
I guess results are slowly coming in, and they're just going to announce them as they come. These could be the first failures of many, or the only ones.
Here is the list of fighters that have been cleared on each show so far. Just as a reminder, Justin Levens was suspended.