Alexander vs.Sakara Ufc 75
This found at Ufcjunkie.com (would not let me insert web link)
Promising UFC newcomer Houston Alexander (7-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will face UFC veteran Alessio Sakara (11-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) at UFC 75 in September, according to Alexander’s camp.
Earlier today, UFCjunkie.com (www.ufcjunkie.com) debunked recent rumors that Alexander would instead face light heavyweight winner of The Ultimate Fighter 1 Forrest Griffin. The rumors surfaced from alleged comments Alexander made at a regional MMA show this past weekend.
Instead, Alexander has agreed to fight Sakara, who most recently defeated Victor Valimaki with a swift first-round TKO at UFC 70. Both fighters are expected to sign fight papers next week to make the bout official.
Last month at UFC 71, Alexander — a 6-to-1 underdog — defeated the heavily favored Keith Jardine with a quick and stunning first-round knockout. The Omaha, Neb. DJ and hip-hop school lecturer hasn’t lost a professional fight in more than six years.
He’ll now take on Sakara. Earlier this month, UFCjunkie.com announced that the Italian boxer was expected to appear on the UFC 75 card, which takes place in London.
Before his UFC 70 victory, Sakara had lost two in a row (to Dean Lister and Drew McFedries). In previous UFC fights, he defeated Elvis Sinosic and earned a no-contest (groin kick) with Ron Faircloth. He’ll now go for the first back-to-back UFC victories of his career.
UFC 75 takes place at The O2 arena on Sept. 22.
Diaz wants Shamrock
Nick Diaz, who is signed with ProElite, has requested to face Frank Shamrock as soon as possible. After a spectacular win against Takanori Gomi, Diaz seems intent on enrolling himself for higher profile fights. With both fighters fighting in the same organization this fight seems the logical next step in what would be an MMA fan's dream come true.
"I watched his last fight and no disrespect intended but I think I would whoop his ass.", stated Diaz. A formal offer of intent has been delivered to the promoters to set this fight up and now we await their response.
Wouldn't that one be an awesome fight?
UFCjunkie.com Exclusive: Houston Alexander’s Camp Says “No Truth” to Rumored Fight with Forrest Griffin
Rumors that UFC light heavyweight Houston Alexander (7-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is set to face Forrest Griffin (14-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC) in his next UFC fight are not true, according to Alexander’s trainer and coach, Mick Doyle, who spoke to UFCjunkie.com (www.ufcjunkie.com) today.
The rumored Alexander vs. Griffin fight surfaced from comments Alexander supposedly made at an Omaha Fight Club show this past weekend. Doyle, though, firmly denied the rumors.
“As far as the Forrest Griffin rumor, there is no truth to that, although we would love to fight him,” says Doyle. “I am pretty sure Houston did not say that (he would be fighting Griffin) to anybody at that fight.“
Of course, this news does not eliminate any future possibility for a fight between the two light heavyweights. It simply means that there is no truth — at this time — to the rumored bout.
Last month at UFC 71, 35-year-old UFC newcomer Alexander defeated the heavily favored Keith Jardine with a swift and stunning first-round knockout. Alexander was a 6-to-1 underdog entering the fight.
The explosive Alexander may have made a serious impression on UFC fans with his dramatic upset victory, but he’s not letting his recent success go to his head.
“It’s been crazy, but I’m ready to fight tomorrow,” says Alexander. “As soon as I got back from Vegas, I was back in the gym. I was back in the gym at 5:30 a.m. the day after I got back.“
Alexander’s coach confirmed his fighter’s intensity and motivation.
“Houston is so focused on his training,” says Doyle. “He’s training three times a day and never misses a practice. His ground game is progressing significantly, and his attitude is great.“
Doyle is a former world champion kickboxer who runs an impressive Muay Thai and grappling gym in Omaha, Neb. (www.mickdoyle.com). Doyle has trained some big names in Muay Thai, such as Renzo Gracie. Alexander also trains with Willie Stewart and Curlee Alexander.
We plan to have news of Alexander’s next opponent later today, so stay tuned to UFCjunkie.com.
Dana White: Tito Ortiz Is a “Complete and Total Moron”
UFC veteran Tito Ortiz is complaining that the organization isn’t promoting him properly, and as expected, UFC president Dana White didn’t take too kindly to the accusation.
The former UFC champ and the organization’s head honcho recently opened up to Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports.
As Ortiz prepares for next weekend’s UFC 73 main-card bout with rising light heavyweight contender Rashad Evans, he says the organization isn’t giving him the exposure he deserves. In fact, Ortiz says the slights are intentional and a way to drive down his price come contract-renegotiation time.
White says the accusations are laughable.
“There’s a billboard of his big ugly gorilla face at the busiest point in Las Vegas,” White said, “where it can scare kids who are riding by in their cars. Guess whose ugly head is on our billboard in Times Square?
“He’s a moron: A complete and total moron. His whole career, he’s stepped over a dollar to pick up a dime. I’m sick of him. It’s time he started beating up someone other than a nearly 50-year-old Ken Shamrock.“
White also said the UFC has an ad set to run in USA Today on July 6 which has a picture of the lightweight and middleweight title belts that are up for stake at UFC 73 on the top half of the ad and has Ortiz’ and Evans’ faces on the bottom of it.
“Does that sound to you like we’re ignoring him or not promoting him?” White said. “I’ll tell you what it is, it’s more proof, as if anybody needed any, that Tito is a moron.“ -
UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva faces Nate Marquardt in next weekend’s main event, and lightweight champion Sean Sherk takes on Hermes Franca in a second title fight. However, as White mentioned, the Ortiz-Evans fight is getting a big part of the spotlight — especially for a non-title/non-main-event fight.
In fact, when you head to the official Web site for UFC 73 (73.ufc.com), it’s Ortiz and Evans — not next weekend’s title-fight competitors — who get top billing.
Despite the war of worlds, White did mention during yesterday’s UFC 73 media conference call that he expects Ortiz and the UFC to come to terms on a new contract. But Ortiz, who has two fights remaining on his current deal, hasn’t sounded as optimistic in recent interviews.
Next weekend’s UFC 73 event takes place at the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif. and airs on pay-per-view.
Read Full Story here at
WEC 30: Former UFC champ Jens Pulver on the card
Former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver is headed for the World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) 145-pound division, according to a recent MySpace message from Duke Roufus.
Pulver will make his debut at WEC 30 on September 5 at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada.
This doesn’t come as a surprise, considering “Lil Evil” alluded to the switch before and immediately after his recent bout with BJ Penn (a loss) at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 5 Finale. For that fight, he came in weighing 152 pounds and didn’t have to work to make the cut.
By his own admission, when in shape, Pulver is a natural for the lighter division. And, the UFC currently doesn’t feature anything below the 155-pound class.
It should be a good move for Pulver, who seems reborn after being a coach on TUF 5 and preparing for the rematch with Penn. He won’t have it easy, however, in the WEC.
Urijah Faber — the uber-talented 145-pound WEC champion — and others in the division provide top competition. But Jens seems up to the task, and there’s no doubt that he won’t disappoint fans.
Pulver always puts on a show, win or lose.
The WEC main card, which also features “Razor” Rob McCullough vs. Rich Crunkilton, will air live on Wednesday, September 5 on Versus Network.
It should be a good one … don’t miss it.
Note: Roufus — a Milwaukee-based Muay Thai coach — trains several mixed martial artists and UFC fighters, including Stephan Bonnar, among others. He made the Pulver announcement during a promotion for a seminar that is taking place on July 21 in Milwaukee for which Pulver is the featured coach.
IFL anounces deal
International fight league, alfred haber distrubition and fox sports
net announce telivision deal with AFN, American Forces Network
Dana White talks HBO, PRIDE FC, Liddell-Silva and more
From the HBO deal to recent PRIDE FC rumors to the showdown between Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva that may not happen, UFC President Dana White and four fighters answered wide-ranging questions today during the conference call to promote UFC 73: “Stacked.”
Sam Caplan over at was on the call — along with other reporters and UFC fighters Rashad Evans, Tito Ortiz, Sean Sherk and Nathan Marquardt — but we’ll summarize his summary.
That’s because there were some interesting topics discussed.
Here’s what we found most intriguiing:
White “scoffed” at the claim that the HBO deal is dead. In fact, White said that the UFC was, “right about there with the deal.”
Old PRIDE FC contracts, according to White, are valid with Pride Worldwide —the new company that owns PRIDE FC. However, a lot of the fighters on the PRIDE FC roster are signing with the UFC because the status of the promotion is uncertain right now and they want to fight. And reports that PRIDE FC running a show anytime soon appear to be untrue, according to White, because there is still so much that needs to be sorted out regarding its future.
The blockbuster fight between Liddell and Silva is a little overblown and that it is unlikely to happen at UFC 76 on September 22 if at all so soon. In fact, Liddell could actually return in November.
Evans’ uncle wants Ortiz to “pay for all the years the black man was enslaved” after the “Nappy Headed Ho” comments.
Sokoudjou may not be allowed to fight in EliteXC (he’s legally tied to PRIDE FC for two more fights) despite reports that he signed with organization.
White called the people who reported Ken Shamrock would fight Michael Bisping as, “Internet Knuckleheads.” Who, us? He went on to say that he doesn’t believe Shamrock is still a UFC-caliber fighter and that Shamrock should consider retirement.
That’s our recap of the recap. Head over to FiveOuncesOfPain for the entire scoop.
Shamrock wants Gracie after knee injury is healed
MMAWeekly.com now has an interview available with Frank Shamrock. In the interview, Shamrock indicates that he will likely need knee surgery to repair a torn ACL and MCL and a partially torn meniscus. He’s waiting for the swelling to subside before a final determination is made about surgery.
Shamrock said that he respects Phil Baroni and that he feels everything is settled between the two. Once his knee is healed he indicated that he wants a rematch with Renzo Gracie.
To read the whole article just go to:
411Mania Interviews Tito Ortiz
411Mania Interviewed Tito Ortiz. He talks a lot about his upcoming fight with Rashad Evans, his preparation for the fight and his future with the UFC. There is a brief discussion about a possible Fighters Union, which Ortiz said he wouldn't mind running.
Rumor: Houston Alexander vs. Forrest Griffin?
Hard-hitting UFC light heavyweight Houston Alexander “hinted” that his next opponent would be none other than Forrest Griffin, according to .
Alexander “mentioned” that it was a “possible” match up at a recent appearance at an Omaha Fight Club show. Therefore, this should be treated as nothing but a rumor at this time.
However, it is an extremely juicy 205-pound showdown, which is the reason we’re passing it along.
Griffin is coming off a unanimous decision win over Hector Ramirez at UFC 72: “Victory” earlier this month. It wasn’t a typical Griffin performance — by his own admission — because of a two factors:
Injuries and caution.
Not only was he recovering from a serious staph infection leading up to the bout in Ireland, but he was also concerned that his chin might be compromised once again.
That’s because Keith Jardine knocked out Griffin at UFC 66 in the first round. In his next fight, however, Jardine was crushed in the first round himself by Alexander at UFC 71.
Interesting twist to say the least.
Alexander is new to the Octagon, but the 35-year-old is not new to mixed martial arts. We didn’t get to see much of him in his debut other than his ridiculous punching power.
Something that Griffin would more than likely want to avoid at all costs if the two do indeed meet inside the cage.
Alexander did mention that his next bout inside the Octagon will be in August or September … so let’s wait and see if Joe Silva calls the number of the The Ultimate Fighter season one winner to be his opponent.
We’ll update this story in the coming days, weeks and months ahead.
Dana White: Potential UFC Deal with HBO Still Alive
Despite a recent report that stated the UFC’s potential deal with HBO was all but dead, UFC president Dana White says otherwise.
In fact, White says deal was close to fruition and that former HBO president Chris Albrecht wasn’t the only executive who was interested in the partnership.
White made the comments during a UFC 73 conference call with the media today.
Rumors of the UFC-HBO deal first surfaced late last year, and throughout the 2007 calendar year, White spoke often about the progress and benefits of a potential partnership with HBO. The discussions advanced far enough for White to announce in April that a deal was done. In fact, the two sides were so confident an agreement would be reached that April 21's UFC 70 event was expected to air on HBO. It was later moved to Spike TV after the deal stalled over concerns with the shows’ production.
It’s been reported that Albrecht was the main supporter of the deal, but after May mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Oscar De La Hoya, he was arrested for allegedly assaulting his female companion near a valet-parking station. The recovering alcoholic later said alcohol played a part in the episode. He subsequently left the company, and Variety.com recently reported that deal was probably dead because of it.
However, White says he has other supporters with the company and is confident a deal still will be inked.
This entry is filed under Dana White, UFC on HBO.
New Ken Shamrock interview
Gotta go about 5 minutes in...he talks about his rumored fight with Mike Bisping, Dana White's hate towards the IFL, and the idea of a fighters union. Sounds like he's pumped and ready to go!
EDIT: link fixed
New Shogun Interview: Injury NOT Serious
it's in portuguese so here is a translation
posted today, so it can't get much more up-to-date than that
Shogun close to a deal with UFC
Mauricio Shogun is really close to signing the contract with UFC. With his brother, Murilo Ninja, who gave the first american belt to Chute Boxe, Shogun get the chance to fix his future in th US. "I had meetings with a lot of events and talked to White personally. We lost some bucks in the casino (laughs). I believe next week we are going to set this fight for september", told Shogun
However his work is already recognized by the japanese audience, the CB fighter knows that he has a hard path to take in the USA and he prefer to not choose the oponnent. "UFC is a new event for me. In the US people don't know me. I can't choose the oponnent and i hope to earn the respect of the american audience, like i did in Japan." said Shogun. About the rumors of a possible injury, Shogun calm down the fans. "I injuried my knee training. I went to the doctor, but it was not a big deal. And he said that i can train normally", he ended.
MMAD LIBS: A Tool For The Uninformed Journalist
MMAd Libs: A Tool for the Uninformed Journalist
Dear Mainstream Media Writer Tasked with Writing about Mixed Martial Arts for the First Time,
Let me save you a little time. Your editor has probably dumped this assignment on you because you once wrote something about the XFL or skateboarding or maybe you’re the person who has to do the write-up for the annual Nathan’s hot dog eating contest and you’ve been pegged as the “spectacle guy.” In any event, you’re stuck writing about a sport about which you know virtually nothing. And let’s face it, research is hard. Professional MMA has almost 15 years of history to learn and the sport can be really complicated if you don’t know what techniques you’re watching. Do you really want to put all that effort into a dinky 700-word trend piece that every major media outlet but yours has already printed?