WEC 35 drug test results come back clean for ‘Condit vs Miura’ event
MMAmania.com has confirmed that drug tests for all 10 fighters from WEC 35 who were tested have come back negative. The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) conducted random testing for the August 3 event, with only half of the fighters required to undergo screening.
The following fighters all tested negative for drugs of abuse (including marijuana, cocaine, etc.), as well as for steroids: Carlos Condit, Hiromitsu Miura, Steve Cantwell, Brian Stann, Jamie Varner, Marcus Hicks, Brian Bowles, Josh Grispi, Brock Larson and Scott Jorgensen.
Other fighters, including Damacio Page, Micah Miller, Carlo Prater, Blas Avena, Dave Terrel, Shane Roller, Todd Moore, Mike Budnik, Greg McIntyre and Kenji Osawa, were not required to undergo screening.
Held at the “The Joint” at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, WEC 35 featured three title fights, including one of the better fights of the year in the main event between WEC Welterweight Champion Carlos “The Natural Born Killer” Condit (23-4) and Hiromitsu Miura (9-5).
Josh Burkman and Pete Sell signed for UFC 90 bout
The Ultimate Fighter 4" middleweight contestant Pete "Drago" Sell (7-4 MMA, 1-4 UFC) will drop to welterweight to fight "TUF 1" alumnus Josh Burkman (9-6 MMA, 5-4 UFC) at October's UFC 90 event.
Sources close to both fighters today confirmed the upcoming bout with MMAjunkie.com and said that bout agreements were recently signed.
Emelianenko: I’m not the best fighter
One of the most hotly debated topics in mixed martial arts these days is the identity of the world’s best pound-for-pound fighter.
UFC president Dana White insists it’s middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Others consider either UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn or UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre to be No. 1.
Further down Dana says:
“But we all have to thank him for getting rid of Tim Sylvia. He’d been stinking out the joint the last couple of years and Fedor did everyone a favor by beating him so easily and getting rid of him.”
I thought that was low, even for Dana.
Lyman Good Vs 'Semtex' Daley at EXC Sept 20th Show
As we previously reported, Paul Daley has agreed to fight in the EliteXC at their Sept. 20 show in New Mexico. In that report Paul Daley was unable to announce who he would be fighting other than to say he was "an undefeated ex-IFL guy."
Well, it's now been confirmed that undefeated Lyman Good (7-0) has been offered a six-fight contract with EliteXC, and he is expected to sign it by week's end. The two welterweights will meet at "The Pit" in Albuquerque, N.M.
Lyman, who trains and fights out of New Jersey, got his start in professional MMA by fighting for Lou Neglia's Ring Of Combat promotion in Atlantic City. He is a full-time instructor at various Tiger Schulmann MMA academies along the east coast. He holds notable wins over Mike Dolce of the "TUF" season seven cast, as well as Eric Charles. He will be facing the toughest test of his career against the Muay Thai specialist Paul "Semtex" Daley.
Stay locked on Fightline.com for updates on EliteXC's Sept. 20 fight card, bout additions, and as always for all the latest news coming from the world of MMA.
Clementi To Fight At UFC 90
UFC lightweight Rich Clementi has announced he will be fighting at UFC 90 in Chicago. The news comes via Rich's MySpace page. An opponent was not named.
Clementi is currently riding a six-fight winning streak with recent wins over Terry Etim, Sam Stout, and his rival Melvin Guillard.
Clementi was a cast member of "TUF: The Comeback" in 2006. Although he started out his career in the UFC a little rocky, Clementi's impressive performances of late have to put him in the upper echelon of lightweight talent in the UFC.
Babalu Goes For Strikeforce Gold On 9/20
Strikeforce today confirmed that their Light Heavyweight Champion, Bobby Southworth, will next defend against former UFC standout Renato "Babalu" Sobral on 9/20 at the Playboy Mansion. This fight will be the first of 2 in about 3 weeks for Babalu, who also is to fight again for Affliction in October.
Quick Quote: GSP Done For The Year?
It seems like everyone is expecting Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn at 170 to headline the final UFC PPV of the year. Everyone except maybe GSP, who says he may call it a year now to rest & mentally recharge.
Tito Ortiz actively negotiating with AFFLICTION
LOS ANGELES – At a press luncheon on Tuesday, Affliction vice president Tom Atencio told MMAWeekly.com that negotiations are now underway with former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz. Affliction COO Michael Cohen confirmed that Ortiz is free to negotiate with the upstart company, and was working on a deal with Ortiz’s lawyers.
In an interview with SI.com last week, Ortiz confirmed he was working on a “groundbreaking record contract” with a company assumed to be Affliction. However, the outspoken fighter was a no-show at the press conference for “Day of Reckoning” in Las Vegas. Ortiz still appears to be persona non grata in UFC president Dana White’s book, but on more than one occasion, that has not come between Ortiz and a UFC contract.
As of yet, few details on the negotiation exist, but Atencio initially said the dollar signs associated with the record-breaking contract are the major sticking point.
“We’ve got a contract, and it’s just not feasible,” Atencio said.
Both Atencio and Cohen have fielded interest from a large number of free agents looking to sign with the new promotion. Affliction received a great deal of attention, much of it negative, for the 3-4 million dollars it paid to fighters in its first show, “Banned,” on July 19. Afterwards, Atencio told MMAWeekly.com one of his future concerns was to make sure fighters didn’t look at Affliction as a “cash cow.” And while there’s no doubt Ortiz can sell tickets for Affliction, it would come at a steep premium.
Affliction Slugfest? Big Ben vs. Mighty Mo Possible
Affliction is reportedly trying to put together Ben Rothwell vs. Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga for their next PPV on October 11. The fight is pending K-1 approval as Mo could still be a wild card in the upcoming K-1 GP finals, and if he is invited the Affliction fight would be off.
Tim Kennedy planning to leave Armed Forces and pursue full-time MMA career
While not yet a household name in mixed martial arts, middleweight Tim Kennedy has all the tools needed to go far in the sport.
Despite an impressive 9-2 record with notable victories over Jason “Mayhem” Miller, Dante Rivera, Ryan McGivern, and Hector Urbina, Kennedy has yet to breakthrough into the sport’s upper-echelon at 185 pounds.
The issue for Kennedy has been that since 2001, he has competed in just 11 pro bouts. His part-time fight schedule can be directly attributed to the fact that he’s Staff Sargent with the United States Army.
For Penn, Lightweight is Right Weight
B.J. Penn’s clearly excited about the prospect of rematching UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre in December, but the prospect of the bout reveals far more potential downside than payoff for Penn, and the sport itself.
Tara LaRosa and Bobby Lashley booked for American Fight League's PPV debut
Within the next couple months, the American Fight League will attempt to find a success in a place most MMA organizations haven't: pay per view.
The Kentucky-based organization, which garnered some headlines earlier this summer with the signings of notable free agents such as top female fighter Tara LaRosa and former WWE star Bobby Lashley, will makes it PPV debut this fall, and the fight card is starting to take shape.
AFL Director of Public Relations Sean McClure today said that the organization is close to an official event announcement.
Randy and Fedor meet again. Talks between two camps.
MMAPayout.com has learned that Couture and Emelianenko, along with their respective management teams, have spent a great deal of time together in Los Angeles this week. The purpose of the informal summit is not entirely clear, but one logical goal of the meetings could be the development of a collective strategy moving forward in order to insure that [their] fight takes place, sooner rather than later.
Interesting to see where this goes.
Mike Massenzio plans to apply constant pressure during UFC debut
FiveOuncesOfPain.com broke the news several weeks ago that top East Coast prospect and former IFL middleweight Mike Massenzio had signed a four fight contract with the UFC and that he’s set to debut against Drew McFedries at UFC Fight Night 15 on Sept. 17.
Massenzio’s bout is currently slated to make the Spike TV portion of the card, which will be telecast as a lead-in for the eighth season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” It’s somewhat ironic that he’ll be debuting during a TUF premiere night considering he was recruited to be a part of the cast for TUF 7. But the UFC wasn’t alone in their desire for Massenzio. He has been on the radar of talent evaluators for several national organizations after amassing a 10-1 record in MMA following a standout wrestling career in Junior College.
Lyman Good expected to sign six-fight contract with EliteXC
With Elite Xtreme Combat expected to promote four shows between Sept. 20 and Oct. 20, it has had the promotion’s fight team working overtime coming up with potential matchups as well as signing new fighters to contracts in order to fill up the myriad bout slots.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned that one new fighter about to sign with the promotion is undefeated welterweight prospect Lyman Good of Team Tiger Schulmann’s in New Jersey.
Officials with Team Tiger Schulmann contacted FiveOuncesOfPain.com to inform us that Good has been offered a six fight contract by EliteXC and is expected to sign it by week’s end.
ULTIMATE FIGHTER ALUMNUS SAM HOGER RETURNS
World Championship Fighting on Tuesday announced that former Ultimate Fighter reality show star Sam Hoger will return to mixed martial arts competition at the promotion’s Sept. 19 event in Wilmington, Mass.
Following a win over highly touted Bobby Southworth at the inaugural Ultimate Fighter Finale, Hoger’s time in the UFC was rocky, amassing a 2-3 record in the Octagon. His last two bouts for the promotion were decision losses to top light heavyweight contenders Rashad Evans and Lyoto Machida.
He then moved on to the International Fight League (IFL), where he dropped his lone bout for that promotion to UFC veteran Vernon “Tiger” White.