Bisping/Leben @ UFC 85? For Free?
The hamstring injury to former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell has forced the promotion to shuffle the UFC 85 deck once again for the show at the 02 Arena in London, England, on June 7.
And while no official announcements have been made about what to expect, MMAmania.com has learned a few things throughout the day.
A 185-pound showdown between Michael Bisping and Chris Leben — a match up we teased earlier this afternoon — is expected to headline the show. In addition, James Irvin has agreed to step up and replace Liddell to take on Evans.
In addition, and this is the shakiest bit of information we are passing along, the show will possibly air on SpikeTV for FREE similar to UFC 75: “Champion vs. Champion.”
If all this pans out — and there is still one fight to be announced — fans would have little to complain about. It’s a solid card even though it may lack a “big” name such as Liddell or Georges St. Pierre.
I'd love nothing more then to see Bisping try and trade with Leben.
Edit it won't let me put in a link but http://mmamania.com/2008/04/22/ufc-85-fight-card-rumored-updates/
Liddell Won't Be Out Too Long
"I hyperextended it," Liddell said. "I probably didn't warm up enough, or it was a freak injury.
"I think I can fight by August," said Liddell, who will need four to six weeks to rehab before he can begin hard training...
Liddell said he was lucky that the partial tear was in the belly of the muscle and not the insertion, so it should heal faster.
After the injury, he continued to train his upper body and was swimming without much stress on his legs, while doctors advised him against fighting.
I think they'll be able to maintain their plan if Chuck wins, which is to have him fight for the title in December. I guess the question now is whether he will fight Rashad Evans or Shogun, who is rumored to be returning around that time.
Brandon Vera Wants HW And LHW Titles Within A Year!
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) contender Brandon (The Truth) Vera, who is half-Filipino, said he hopes to bring pride to the Philippines like his idol Manny Pacquiao by winning the heavyweight and lightheavyweight championships, possibly within a year, during a recent visit to Manila.
Kalib Starnes: Dana White ‘wouldnt cross the street for $10,000'
In my opinion, it was inappropriate to make public statements regarding my character and my future and so on the way that he has, especially without having the courage and the respect to call me up and speak with me personally,” Starnes said. “All of these comments come from a man that has never had a fight in his entire life who claims to be the ultimate authority on fighting and courage. I couldn’t be happier than to be released from the most oppressive contract I’ve ever been under in my life…. Dana White wouldn’t stand and trade with a guy [like Quarry] who had an 80 or 90 percent knockout ratio with injuries like I had Saturday night. He wouldn’t cross the street for $10,000. I don’t have anything to prove to anybody. I’m not about to stand there and get smashed to pieces. After I knew my foot was broken, I was trying to back up and work off the jab and keep moving so I didn’t get knocked out.”
Former UFC middleweight Kalib Starnes responds to comments UFC President Dana White made about him after a very weak performance at UFC 83 this past weekend. Starnes claims he requested to be released from his contract, while White insists he was cut. Whatever. Starnes reveals that a broken foot was the reason he essentially refused to fight Nate Quarry during their middleweight match up on April 19 and has fueled this entire fiasco.
Report: Belfort Offered Randleman, EliteXC Deal
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort has reportedly been offered a fight against former heavyweight title holder Kevin Randleman at World Victory Road’s upcoming second “Sengoku” show on May 18th at the at the Ariake Coliseum in Tokyo, Japan.
Even though Randleman has accepted another fight. It is worth noting that Belfort has been contacted and offered a contract by EliteXC.
Emerson Out - Clementi In
Thomas Gerbasi, UFC - Lightweight contender Rich “No Love” Clementi is taking no time off after his three round win over Sam Stout at UFC 83 last Saturday. Instead, the pride of Slidell, Louisiana will be back in the gym preparing for a May 24th bout against UK rising star Terry Etim on the star-studded UFC 84 card at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. Clementi replaces Rob Emerson, who was forced to withdraw from the bout against Etim due to injury.
St. Pierre Talks Win Over Serra
Newly crowned UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) spoke exclusively with Sherdog.com the day after his impressive second-round TKO over Matt Serra (Pictures) at UFC 83. With the win, St. Pierre reclaimed the belt that Serra had taken from him in his first title defense in April 2007.
"Yesterday was the most beautiful day of my life," St. Pierre said, his voice still raspy and full of happiness. "Everything worked out perfectly, and it is a dream come true."
To get the win, St. Pierre employed a very solid wrestling game that allowed him to stay on top of Serra and punish him with countless hard knees to the body. The style contrasted greatly to the standup that Serra had used so successfully the first time. Was St. Pierre worried the few times that Serra got back to his feet?
Another MMA Organization Reports Losses
Elite XC reported $27,584,500 in losses for 2007 in the company's annual report. The company has now lost $31,834,355 between its inception and 12/31.
In money spent, the company paid $3.25 million to fully acquire King of the Cage, $4.1 million for Mixed Martial Arts, Ltd., $400,000 for ownership of Future Fights (ICON in Hawaii), and $1 million for partial ownership of Entlian Corporation (Spirit MC in South Korea).
Elite XC is cutting back on expenses by reducing the number of staff, and did staff layoffs in January.
(Source: Wrestling Observer)
They also forgot the Acquisition of Cage Rage in the UK. Coupled with the fact they just signed Kimbo etc. to long term contracts could this mean problems for them longterm?
It seems Dana's statement about the 'latest three initials MMA company' is not far off the mark after all.
Starnes Requests Exit from UFC
While it seems inevitable the the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Kalib Starnes will part ways, the manner in which the two separated appears to have been misinterpreted.
Should be on main page.
More Fighters To Be Cut From The UFC
UFC is expected to make significant talent cuts, as the active roster has grown to 200 fighters under contract to the MMA organization. UFC doesn't run enough shows to keep all the fighters in a regular rotation.
One of the first major casualties was heavyweight Jake O'Brien, a former Purder wrestler. As reported yesterday, Kalib Starnes was also let go.
Despite the impending cuts, UFC did sign Yushin Okami to a new contract.
So whose next on the list then?
WEC fighters could be headed to UFC
Fighters from the Ultimate Fighting Championship's partner organization, World Extreme Cagefighting, could be headed to the UFC as the organization tries to further distinguish the two fight promotions.
According to an interview with Dana White that appeared on Yahoo! Canada, some of the WEC's middleweights and light heavyweights could be folded into the UFC.
"We're going to make the WEC the smaller weights and the UFC will be the heavier weights," White said. "We'll probably take some of the guys in the higher weights, the champions over there and bring them into UFC. We're still trying to figure that out."
ohhhh man! This could make for some VERY good fights. Condit...Filho...Stann
Calvin Ayre Retires, BodogFight Done
Officially putting the presumptive final nail in the coffin of BodogFight, Bodog head mogul Calvin Ayre announced his retirement yesterday. Sources indicate that although the Bodog empire will continue on, likely focusing on gaming, BodogFight-the MMA arm of the group-is now defunct.
Random Notes: Dana White on a number of different topics
There was an article posted on the Canadian section of Yahoo! sports on Saturday about UFC president, Dana White. White provided nuggets of information about a variety of different topics.
The part I found the most interesting was when White was asked about if there were plans for the UFC to install a featherweight division (145 lbs.).
Din Thomas to drop to 145 lbs.
In a recent interview with MMA on Tap, UFC lightweight Din Thomas, discussed a drop down to featherweight (145 lbs.). The TUF 4 veteran made mention of the two consecutive defeats he has suffered recently to Kenny Florian (UFC Fight Night 11) and Josh Neer (UFC Fight Night 13) as a reason for the cut.
Josh Barnett added to May 18 WVR card
Highly ranked heavyweight Josh Barnett (21-5), who's competed just once in the past 16 months, will next fight May 18 at World Victory Road's "Sengoku II" event.
The Japanese-based organization made the announcement earlier today.
An opponent hasn't been named for Barnett, who competed at the first Sengoku event and defeated Hidehiko Yoshida in March.
Barnett, a former UFC heavyweight champion and longtime PRIDE fighter, isn't the only big name appearing on the card, which takes place at the Ariake Colosseum in Tokyo, Japan.
Chuck Liddell Injured, Out of UFC 85
It seems that the curse of Mauricio Rua extends past Shogun himself. MMARated brings us the disappointing news that Chuck Liddell recently sustained an injury and will not be fighting Rashad Evans in the main event of UFC 85 (June 7th, London); Liddell and Evans will supposedly face each other later in the summer. Liddell was originally supposed to fight Rua in UFC 85’s main event, but Rua ruptured his ACL and was replaced by Evans. No other information on Chuck’s condition is available at the moment.
UFC cuts Kalib Starnes after UFC 83 track meet
The UFC didn’t waste much time, releasing former The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) contestant and UFC 83 main card participant, Kalib Starnes, from his contract after a puzzling performance against Nate Quarry this weekend, according to Yahoo!Sports.com
Matt Hughes: Matt Serra fight possible in ’six to eight months’
GSP had a good game plan to take Matt Serra down and wear him out. I found myself rooting for Serra at the end of the second round, I wanted him to make it to the third round. I thought if it would get to the third round GSP would decide to stand up with him and possibly knock him out. I just wanted Matt to get beat on for five rounds, not just two; but I knew the ref was about ready to stop it. The UFC said that if Serra loses I get him, but I don’t know when that will be. I’m going to guess six to eight months, so I’ve found myself watching my diet and exercising more.”