Tito Ortiz Close to Signing Contract...Again
When last we saw Ortiz, he was at the October 4 EliteXC show announcing that he was going to sign a contract with the organization soon. EliteXC is now finished, but Ortiz isn't finished saying he's close to signing a deal.
In an appearance at last weekend's Rumble in the Park in Fresno (broadcast today on HDNet's Inside MMA), Ortiz said, "It's either going to be with the UFC or it's going to be with Affliction, but guaranteed, you guys will see me fight -- no matter what -- by July."
Ortiz also mentioned that he had back surgery last month, which he deemed successful. He also said it was the same surgery that Nate Quarry had, and Quarry was out of action for 15 months after his back surgery. So Ortiz is very optimistic if he thinks he can guarantee that he'll return just seven months after the surgery.
Bas talks Kimbo, EXC, Lesnar-Couture & More!
Bas Rutten ‘Living Mixed Martial Arts Part II’
The former King of Pancrase took some time recently to talk with PDG about the many projects he has going on, the Fall of EliteXC & Kimbo Slice what he thinks of some of the biggest fights of the year coming up in the UFC.
PDG: The last time you were in Japan was for DREAM 6; what did you think about the Alistair Overeem vs Mirko ‘Cro-Cop’ fight?
Bas: It was a great fight and it was a shame that it ended like it did because Overeem was winning the fight. I was a little surprised by his dominance but then I talked to his trainer from Golden Glory; which is a Thai boxing gym in Holland that I used to train at. His striking has definitely gotten better since he started training there and Mirko has not looked very good his last few fights. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Mirko fan and I wish he could get back on track.
Paulo Filho has agreed to vacate the WEC middleweight belt
True to his word, Paulo Filho has agreed to vacate the WEC middleweight belt after losing unanimously on points to Chael Sonnen on Wednesday. Flying back to Los Angeles from Florida the day after what was supposed to be a five-round championship fight, Filho's manager, Ed Soares, said he planned on shipping the belt to Sonnen as soon as he could.
Eddie Alvarez Talks Future & More!
Eddie Alvarez 'Waiting for a Fight'
Lightweight rising superstar Eddie Alvarez took some time to talk with PDG about the fall of EliteXC, his DREAM Lightweight Grand Prix experience, training and what the future holds for his mixed martial arts career.
PDG: Your scheduled fight against Nick Diaz was canceled when EliteXC went bankrupt last month; what were your thoughts when you got the news?
Alvarez: It was very unfortunate as I was about five weeks into my training for the fight. I was really looking forward to that fight and the whole situation just basically sucked. It was very important for me to win a title in America on national television. Shit happens and it wasn't the first time in my career. There was a similar situation when I was fighting for Bodog. I'm looking forward to moving on and signing with another American company that has a television presence.
Jacob ‘Stitch’ Duran: ‘I get off on the blood’
“”MMA is far bloodier than boxing. These guys will have multiple cuts—the middle of their forehead, their scalp. Head cuts bleed a lot. And the cuts are deeper, because of the elbows and knees. It’s bone on bone…. I see so many cuts, [fixing them] is automatic for me. It’s poetry in motion.”"
– ESPN the Magazine has a great article this month on the best cut man in the business, Jacob “Stitch” Duran. It talks about how he made it to where he is today and how his unique approach to closing cuts has helped several fighters, including UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Forrest Griffin, continue to compete after getting busted open “as wide as an elevator door.” Very cool article. Very different … go check it out.
Brocks Big Plan: Be Bigger
I expect to walk in [to the Octagon] about 275, 280. That’s one of the things we took into consideration when we took this fight. We’re younger, we’re stronger, we’re faster and this guy’s on his way out and we’re going to make sure that happens.
We’ve watched every single one of Randy’s fights a number of different times…there really are no comparables to me and the rest of the guys he’s fought because none of them have the wrestling credentials that I have. He has trouble with bigger guys, guys [like Barnett and Rodriguez] who knew how to control him. Tim Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga didn’t know how to control him.
I’m not scared to go twenty-five minutes. As the rounds go longer I have a much bigger advantage because for Randy to have to push around 275 lbs for five rounds and me to push around a guy who if he’s lucky is 230 lbs - I know how to wrestle. These other heavyweights that he pushed around the Octagon were guys that had no clue how to wrestle and how to keep position.
The UFC and the Issue of Steroids
Mike Straka’s FoxNews Fight Game recently had a roundtable discussion on steroids. John Moody of Tri-State Fighter asks some pointed questions about the UFC’s testing process. MMAPayout.com had some of the same questions and more in the wake of Chris Leben’s positive steroid test.
Anthony Torres tested positive on a Euro Card and was released while Leben gets a suspension. Was Torres under a one fight contract? If not, is there equal protection under the UFC’s steroid policy? If no, Why not? Is the decision based on what level the fighter is with the company (Torres being a newer guy vs Leben being a veteran)?
There seems to be a lack of transparency when it comes to the UK drug tests (Who what when where how many). Zuffa/UFC, being a private company, has transparency issues in many areas, especially financial items, which is understandable, but the lack of transparency in the drug testing area seems to be a PR problem. Will the company be taking any moves to increase transparency in the future?
Swanson Returns Against Takaya At WEC 37
Cub Swanson will make his World Extreme Cagefighting return at WEC 37 in Las Vegas to face off with Shooto veteran Hiroyuki Takaya. MMAWeekly has confirmed the bout with sources close to the fight.
Both fighters suffered losses when they last saw action in the WEC and will look to get back into the winning column. Swanson comes off a submission victory over Donnie Walker at International Fighting & Boxing League: Fight Night 11. His last action in the WEC was a quick submission loss to former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver at WEC 31. In his last outing, Takaya suffered a stoppage loss to Leonard Garcia at WEC 32.
Frank Mir confirms he would rematch Brock Lesnar
Speaking to Setanta Sports News, Mir said:
“I’d rather fight Brock than Randy. Randy has been dealing with MMA for a lot longer and he knows how to fight off submissions to a greater degree than Brock does.”
“Brock’s only trained for two or three years. I’ve been doing it a lot longer. But Randy’s ability to stop my submissions would be about the same as my ability to stop his takedowns.”
“He’s been wrestling for 18 years - I’ve been doing martial arts since I was four, so I’ve been practicing for 25 years. For him to catch up on the submissions game is going to be one heck of a feat.”
M-1 strengthens its positions in MMA
Vadim Finkelstein started off with the following statement: "After some important negotiations several major agreements were reached, namely a strategic agreement with one of the major boxing promotion organizations of the North America Golden Boy Promotions, leading American clothing manufacturer in Affliction and with an American business magnate billioner Donald Trump. This alliance will have huge consequences for progress and evolution of MMA in the whole world."
Gomi-Kitaoka and Santiago-Misaki title fights headline Sengoku 7
Despite his loss to Sergey Golyaev earlier this month, prized World Victory Road lightweight Takanori Gomi (29-4) will meet the organization's grand prix winner, Satoru Kitaoka (23-8-9), at Sengoku 7 for the WVR lightweight title.
Additionally, middleweight grand prix winner Jorge Santiago (20-7), who's quietly amassed as eight-fight win streak, will meet stand-out Kazuo Misaki (21-8-2) for the organization's first-ever middleweight championship.
Pro Elite attempts to stop CBS and Showtime public auction
We reported earlier this week about the intentions of Showtime Networks Inc. to host a public auction on November 17 with whatever remains of Pro Elite Inc., including the video library, fighter contracts and other items.
Pro Elite Inc. was indebted to the premium cable network to the tune of 6.3 million dollars, which was accumulated through various loans. Showtime is apparently under the impression that because Pro Elite defaulted on the loans that the company has the right to take possession of its most valuable assets moving forward.
Pro Elite, however, sees it differently. In fact, according to the Media Daily News the organization plans to take legal action to try and stop the auction from happening.
WEC 36 Fighter Payouts Revealed
The fighter payouts from WEC 36 were obtained and revealed today. The total disclosed payouts were $287,000 with the biggest share going to Chael Sonnen thanks in part to Paulo Filho-$48,750. Sonnen got 25% of Filho's pay.
WEC 36 Medical Suspensions Announced
The Florida State Boxing Commission today handed out medical suspensions from WEC 36. New Featherweight Champion Mike Brown leads the pack and paid a price in winning the title-he's suspended indefinitely.
Promoter’s Spotlight: Maximum Fighting Championship
I have talked a lot on this website about mismanagement in MMA and have been somewhat vindicated by recent events within the industry. However, while I remain convinced that there is no need to panic, some are still sitting on the fence.
As a result, I have set out to demonstrate that there is a right way of doing things in MMA and that there exist a host of successful organizations within North America.
Thus, I present to you the first MMAPayout.com Promoter’s Spotlight on Maximum Fighting Championship (MFC). I was fortunate enough to sit down with the President of Maximum Fighting Championship, Mark Pavelich, to learn more about his fledging promotion.
Gina Carano And Cris Cyborg Will Sign Together
Former EliteXC fighters Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg are in negotiations to make sure that their next fight is with each other, we can exclusively reveal.
Speaking to Fighters Only correspondent Stash Capar this week, Carano said the match “is a dream fight”.
“I want to make that happen,” she said. “My people are in touch with her, so we’re going to make sure we sign together for the same promotion.”
However, Xtreme Couture athlete Carano hinted that wherever her and Cyborg end up signing, fledgling Affliction promotion could be out of the running thanks to the recent fallout between Todd Beard and Randy Couture.
“There’s a bit of a barrier between me and Affliction,” she revealed. “You know, with Randy and that whole thing. But if they approach me with an offer, who knows?”
Carano’s more immediate concern is the imminent auction of EliteXC assets, announced shortly after the promotion ceased operations.
“I don’t really know what’s happening. I think Elite XC’s gonna sell all of the fighters contracts, mine included. It’s a standstill,” she sighed.
“But when one door closes, another one opens. I’m sure we’ll find a new platform for female fights. It’s definitely proven to be popular.”
Three fighters issued UFC 90 medical suspensions
The Illinois State Athletic Commission recently issued medical suspensions to a total of three fighters who competed at last month's UFC 90 event, the commission confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Among those shut down was headliner Patrick Cote, who suffered a knee injury during a third-round TKO to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.
UFC 90 took place Oct. 25 at Allstate Arena just outside Chicago.
It was the UFC's first-ever event in the state of Illinois, which only recently began regulating MMA events.
Cote, who last longer than any other of Silva's UFC opponents, ultimately dropped to the mat in the first minute of the third round. While lunging forward, his knee buckled, and he re-aggravated a past injury. Cote has been suspended 45 days and can have no contact for 30 days, though he could be sidelined longer depending on the nature of his injury.
Additionally, heavyweight Fabricio Werdum was suspended 60 days (no contact for 45 days) following his stunning first-round TKO loss to UFC newcomer Junior de Santos on the night's televised main card.
Finally, preliminary-card fighter and late replacement Drew McFedries was suspended 30 days following his first-round submission loss to Thales Leites. McFedries tapped out from a rear-naked choke 78 seconds into the fight.
Joe Stevenson motivated to defeat Kenny Florian at UFC 91 thanks to BJ Penn loss
“I still think about [the loss to BJ Penn]. I have to. It’s what keep me motivated and makes me train harder. If we don’t remember our past, we can’t go forward. I have a Hawaiian wife man. She brings it up every time we argue…. I’m fighting to be a champion. I want that belt; there is no other reason. I’ve fought for free and I’ll probably fight for free before I die again, but I’m going to bring it.”