Unbeaten Canadian eyes UFC debut against Edgar.
BOCEK MAKES FIGHTING A FAMILY AFFAIR
Growing up in Canada most young males dream of making it to the National Hockey League. The dream is fostered by the country’s undying love of its national pastime. Toronto native Mark Bocek’s aspirations, although different from those of many of his childhood friends, required the same dedication and support from his family. Treks in snow and sleet to practices through which less-committed teammates chose to sleep were commonplace for Bocek and his family. They wanted him to succeed in the sport he loved – martial arts.........Read the rest at->>>>
THE RETURN OF RICARDO ALMEIDA
Kid Peligro Jiu-Jitsu News . . . The return of the "BIG DOG"!!!
Submitted by: Kid Peligro / Sr Editor
Posted on : 7/5/2007
The "Big Dog", "Cachorrao" Almeida returns to the ring! After a long hiatus, the exciting and dynamic Ricardo "Cachorrao" Almeida has signed to fight in the Cage Fury Fight Championships. Since his retirement Almeida had several offers from IFL and Bodog Fighting but he finally settled for Cage Fury 5. Almeida returns to the rings on September 28th in Atlantic City, NJ, at the famous Taj Mahal Casino. Cachorrao was super excited: "I am glad to be fighting in my backyard. I can promise you we are going to Rock the Taj Mahal. My fans will be there and I'll be there to deliver the excitment I'm known for!"
Cachorrao faces the tough Dennis Halman in his return. More on this in the next few days!
Texas Crazy Horse looks forward to third bout with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Heavyweight Heath (Texas Crazy Horse) Herring has fought Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira twice before, so the veteran mixed martial arts fighter knows what to expect when they meet again Saturday night at UFC 73 in Sacramento, Calif.
"If you want my Texas analogy, me and Nogueira fighting is like putting two cats in a burlap sack. We get after it pretty good," he said over the phone.
Vera to fight two times, by the end of 07'
VERA SHEDDING MANAGER, WANTS BACK IN THE OCTAGON By Loretta Hunt (email@example.com)
Heavyweight contender Brandon Vera says he will fight two times by the end of this year, this in light of lingering contractual issues the 29-year-old has with both his existing manager Mark Dion and with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Vera stated yesterday in an interview on FIGHT NETWORK RADIO that he has parted ways with Dion, who also owns the City Boxing gym in San Diego, and will seek arbitration through the California State Athletic Commission as early as July.
Vera confirmed he had been offered a title bout against former UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia on March’s UFC 68 card in Columbus, Ohio, though he did not elaborate why the bout never came to happen. Randy Couture would come out of retirement to earn the title from Sylvia with a five-round unanimous decision.
In late March, Vera signed a six-month extension with the UFC with one fight left on his current contract. Vera had previously stated he intends to re-sign with the UFC.
Though only 6-0 in the fight game, the muay Thai savvy Vera has created a wave of anticipation with four dominating turns in the Octagon, including his decimation of former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir via first round TKO at last November’s UFC 65.
Antonio Silva Undergoes Surgery...
Antonio Silva wasnt cleared to fight in his last scheduled appearance for Elite XC, and it was rumored that a tumor was found in his head. He underwent surgery to remove it, and is looking to return to MMA soon...
BJ Penn Vs. Diego Sanchez UFC 74
Sherdog.com is reporting that BJ Penn and Diego Sanchez have agreed to fight each other on the UFC 74 card.
CSAC: Baroni Positive for Two Types of Steroids
Middleweight Phil Baroni (Pictures) tested positive for Boldenone and Stanozolol Metabolites, the California State Athletic Commission announced Tuesday afternoon. The 31-year-old from Long Island, New York has been fined $2,500 and suspended 365 days from the conclusion of his loss against Frank Shamrock (Pictures) on June 22 in San Jose. The final 51 days of that suspension will be fulfilled at the start of Baroni's next licensing year, should he decide to reapply.
Baroni joins Carter Williams who was suspended six months and fined $1,000 following a positive test for cocaine, as the second fighter to test positive for banned substances following the Strikeforce/EliteXC co-promoted card.
All other fighters on the card have been cleared by the CSAC.
RODRIGUEZ TO TEACH “CRO COP” CAGE ED 101
Former UFC Heavyweight Champ Prepares for Comeback
By Loretta Hunt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The cage is all the rage, as UFC heavyweight contender Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic is finding out the hard way. So, the feared striker has invited Ricco Rodriguez to join him in his Croatian homeland at the end of this month for a lesson in the nuisances of the Octagon.
“He’s asked me to come out and show him some of the ground-and-pound techniques, getting out and up from the bottom, the mechanics of the cage,” says Rodriguez, who has mastered key outings in both apparatus during his eight-year career. “We’ll be exchanging information. There’s absolutely a difference between the ring and a cage.”
Rodriguez, who utilized a ground-and-pound arsenal to capture the UFC Heavyweight Championship from Randy Couture in 2002, will assist the former PRIDE star in his training for his Sept. 8 UFC 75 bout against fellow stand-up artist Cheick Kongo in London, England. The fight will be Filipovic’s third career turn in a cage, after claiming a first round TKO over Eddie Sanchez last February and a surprise loss via head kick by Gabriel Gonzaga in April.
Cro Cop, a member of Croatia’s elite special police unit and a Parliament representative, has spent the majority of his career competing in the ring, rising to notoriety in K-1’s world-class kickboxing tournaments and PRIDE Fighting Championships. Cro Cop capped off a fruitful run for the Japanese promotion with a 2006 Grand Prix Championship before defecting to the UFC. Rodriguez reports the stone-faced assassin revered for his instantaneously crippling left high kick has imported a cage for his training complex in preparation.
The prestigious invitation comes at an opportune time in Rodriguez’s career as the heavyweight wages a comeback during the sport’s most lucrative time yet. Though the 29-year-old Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt has been offered a steady stream of bouts, including a marquee fight against the world’s number one-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko in bodogFIGHT last December, Rodriguez has been adamant regarding his financial worth in a market in demand for the division.
“I know everybody hates when I say it, but for all the effort I’ve put in, I’d like to get a good paycheck,” he says.
At a time, Rodriguez was considered among the world's top heavyweights, demonstrating above average agility and athleticism for his weight division in performances against Andrei Arlovski, Paul Buentello, Jeff Monson, and Couture. In 2003, Rodriguez lost a highly contested unanimous decision over former PRIDE Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in Japan after challenging the jiu-jitsu legend all three rounds.
Rodriguez (25-6) lost the UFC title to a hungry Tim Sylvia at 2003’s UFC 41, and has since wrestled with a host of demons, including obesity, heavy partying, and drug use.
Topping out at 350 pounds when he dropped a decision to an unknown Robert Beraun in Arizona, Rodriguez earned four back-to-back victories in 2006, including a vindication rematch to Ron Waterman at July’s WFA 4 “King of the Streets.” Rodriguez was dealt a setback in November, when a California State Athletic Commission-administered drug test revealed the presense of cocaine. Rodriguez has since served a six-month suspension that completed in mid-May.
Rodriguez’s weight has gradually melted down to 265-270 pounds, where he’s hovering for a super heavyweight bout in November with American Top Team up-and-comer Antonio Silva, who underwent tumor removal surgery in June, at Pro Elite’s “EliteXC” promotion. Rodriguez aims to drop as far as his body will allow, possibly even to the svelte 235-pound frame he carried during the five-fight win streak he enjoyed in the Octagon leading up to taking the crown.
A recent father to one-year old son Ricco, Rodriguez’s experiences have been filmed for the last ten years for a pending documentary on his life. The film will include his rise to the UFC championship, his downward spiral, and his comeback, with training footage of him and legendary fighter Kazushi Sakuraba in Japan, his interactions with troubled training partner Mark Kerr of “The Smashing Machine” fame, and Rodriguez’s first day of boxing training with coach Saul Soliz in Texas, where the heavyweight now resides.
Shamrock won't return to UFC
Dana White, however, has other ideas, as the UFC President stated today that the 43-year-old legend had his contract terminated with one fight left on it, meaning he will no longer fight for the organization.
"I like Ken Shamrock," White said in a conference call. "If I saw him tomorrow, I'd say hello to him and see how his family is and everything else. He needs to think about retiring."
Shamrock has lost six of his last seven MMA fights, including three in a row in the UFC. His only win came against fellow 40-something Kimo Leopoldo.
"He has lost every fight he's had in UFC except for one," White said. "He's just not at that level anymore as a UFC fighter.
"He lost to Tito Ortiz three times," White continued. "He lost to Rich Franklin, who's a 185-pounder. Before we picked him up from PRIDE, he'd lost like six fights in a row in PRIDE. (In actuality, Shamrock lost three of four PRIDE fights.)
In other news, White said that the company was hoping to have Chuck Liddell back in the octagon in November, though his opponent is still not yet known. White at one time had alluded to a possible fight with Wanderlai Silva, but said now that it was no longer a certainty.
In regards to the PRIDE sale, he acknowledged that the company is in a bit of disarray, and that bringing fighters over to the UFC is a way to keep them active while the future of PRIDE is decided.
"They went out of business for a reason," he said. "Because that company's a mess. We're trying to figure it out and fix it. We've got a lot going on with the UFC. We opened an office in the UK and other things going on, we have a lot going on and these things take time. It's a lot more complicated and messed-up than we thought it was. PRIDE is a very powerful brand and I honestly don't know what is going to happen. We bought it with the intention of running it but it's a seriously messed-up company, so we're trying to figure it out.
Finally, despite a recent report in Variety which stated the UFC-HBO deal was likely not going to happen, White insisted it's "far from dead."
Possible Rampage vs Ortiz
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz (15-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC) is willing to fight his friend (and current light heavyweight champ) Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (27-6 MMA, 2-0 UFC) — if the price is right
this would be a big money maker and could possibly go down if Tito beats Rashad.
TITO ISN'T LOOKING PAST RASHAD EVANS
'The Huntington Beach Bad Boy' Tito Ortiz is gearing up for battle against Rashad Evans this weekend at UFC 73 in Sacramento, Calif. The former UFC light heavyweight champion spoke with MMAWeekly about the fight, his training, and his place in the UFC