Dana White Refutes N.Y. Regulation Is Topic Of "Big Announcement"
As we previously reported, UFC President Dana White made a guest appearance yesterday on CNBC's "Power Lunch" to announce a merchandising deal with JAKKS. During the interview White took time to publicly address rumors that are swirling around the internet involving another big announcement that the UFC has planned for next Tuesday - stating that Floyd Mayweather will not be signing with the UFC, the company will not go public, Vince McMahon will not buy out the Fertitta's and the UFC will not be shown on free TV anytime soon. (Click here to watch the interview)
The nature of the UFC's big announcement has remained secret, but White has boasted that the announcement will reveal MMA's direction over the next five years. Fans and insiders have speculated about the nature of the announcement and a variety of plausible scenarios have surfaced; all from "reliable sources", all appear legitimate and all of this speculation greatly benefits the UFC.
After EliteXC's mainstream success and Affliction signing or partnering up with every big name tough guy out there, including business mogul Donald Trump, is it possible that White and Co. floated a number of these rumors to in order to drum up some interest and get the conversation back onto the UFC? While unlikely, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, and the fact remains that all of this speculation can only be good for the industry leaders.
White and the UFC appear to be getting such a kick, not to mention publicity, out of all of the speculation surrounding their impending press conference that they decided to let us all flail about a bit more by pushing back the day of the press conference from this Thursday to next Tuesday. Good business decision, bad for all of us grown-ups who had a tough time waiting for Christmas as kids.
Sam Caplin reported earlier today that he had revealed White's big surprise; an MMA New York sanction, but that was quickly shot down by White himself through German MMA reporter Oliver Copp. Apparently, White told Copp and other reporters in London that the big surprise would not be New York regulation. There you have it.
New York votes against sanctioning MMA, but all hope is not dead.
Word has spread quickly throughout the MMA community that the state of New York's Committee on Tourism, Arts and Sports Development has overwhelmingly voted down a bill that would govern the regulation of MMA in the state.
However, according to an official within committee chair (and bill sponsor) Steve Engelbright's office, the bill is still very much alive with the committee, and it will be revisited at a committee session next Wednesday.
While our good friend Sam Caplan at FiveOuncesOfPain.com first reported that the "bill was voted down in overwhelming fashion," according to a member of a major state athletic commission, sources within Engelbright's office refuted that claim when contacted by MMAjunkie.com.
Vitor Belfort Added To Affliction
Affliction has added former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Vitor Belfort to its July 19 event, putting him in a matchup against fellow one-time UFC fighter Terry Martin. It's considered interesting he was added given he previously violated a drug suspension by fighting overseas during the suspension period, which could work against him when it comes to getting licensed.
Thiago Alves on feud with Matt Hughes, missing weight, title shot
Defeating longtime UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes (42-7 MMA, 15-5 UFC) is an impressive notch on any fighter's belt, but for Thiago Alves (20-4 MMA, 8-2 UFC), this past Saturday's UFC 85 main event knockout victory was especially sweet for more reasons than one.
"When my boss called me and said, 'You are going to fight Matt Hughes,' I was like '[expletive] yeah, I am going to fight him!'" Alves said.
“The last part of the fight was what we call at the gym “Swicking Out”… I actually was trying to get my punches through but he was doing a great job at blocking them so I got creative. I was actually at one point going to sit up and donky kong hammer fist them in but actually changed my mind and stuck to the less effective freestyle swimming technique. Amazingly it looked so much better in my head than how it turned out! You just have to know that in my head I was a ground n pounding machine with brutal power and perfect technique… I guess I am not quite the ninja I think I am sometimes…”
I thought they looked like two kids on the playground... that's how I used to fight. It is funny to hear is perspective.
The Return of The Old School
Recently an influx of fighter vs. grappler bouts has made MMA fans feel like it's 1998 all over again. Another such example of this comes Sunday at DREAM 4, when kickboxer Melvin Manhoef, a fighter with all but one of his career wins by KO, faces feared grappler Kazushi Sakuraba, who has won 71% of his fights by submission.
Another DREAM On Hold: Cacareco Off DREAM 4
Although DREAM officials have not yet announced this, Alexandre "Cacareco" Ferreira is now off Sunday's DREAM 4 event due to visa issues. It would've been his DREAM debut. He was to have faced Alavutdin Gadzhiyev, who should face a replacement to be named later this week.
Nick Diaz Has Surgery To Alleviate Cutting
Apparently the last cut was one too many for Nick Diaz. After a cut cost him the EliteXC Lightweight Championship, Diaz had plastic surgery to alleviate scar tissue, a move he hopes will prevent future cuts in his fights. It was so bad that even rolling caused cuts.
Ticket Sales Slow For Adrenaline MMA
According to USA Today:
"All the shows that I've been running and other people have been running have suffered," Monte Cox said. "The only people that seem immune to that are the UFC. But for the rest of us who do shows on a regular basis we're feeling the pinch, as far as the entertainment dollar."
Cox blamed the current economic slowdown for hurting smaller promotions, though Mike Regan, Global Fighting's chief financial officer remained hopeful that fans in the Charlotte area would buy tickets as the event date nears.
"I just think that right it's the type of thing where they'll wait until the last minute to do it," Regan said.
James Thompson Talks Referee Dan Miragliotta, Kimbo Slice and Removing Gypsies
Local Washington, D.C. CBS radio midday talkers "Big O & Dukes" did an interview with James "Colossus" Thompson, and followed up on the issues stemming from his very controversial fight with Kimbo Slice two weeks ago on the CBS Saturday Night Fights "EliteXC: Primetime" event.
In the interview, Thompson displays clear respect for Kimbo and even remarks about how powerful he is (something I've noted before - Kimbo's escapes from the bottom weren't technical at all; he just muscled his way out, which partly explains his fatigue). He also stops just short of calling the fight fixed, but does, in fact, say Dan Miragliotta was under intense pressure to view matters favorably for Kimbo
The Latest Injustice: Yushin Okami
The combination of a voiceover for UFC 86 that hypes Cote-Almeida as a fight for a title shot ,and speculation that Silva is going to fight at Light Heavyweight has lead to an outcry among some hardcore fans: What about Yushin Okami?
In January 2006, Okami "defeated" Anderson Silva via DQ when Silva knocked him out with an illegal upkick. He has won 8 of 9 fights since, with his only loss coming at the hands of Rich Franklin. Unfortunately for Okami, Franklin is the only legitimate 185 pound contender he has fought, and he lost.
Tyson Griffin Wants No Part of Nate Diaz
Nate Diaz has been on a hot streak with wins over Kurt Pellegrino, Alvin Robinson and Junior Assuncao since becoming the 5th Ultimate Fighter. And Nate has been pretty consistent about calling for tough competition. He's been especially adamant about wanting former training partner Tyson Griffin. And, being a Diaz, he's been pretty pithy with the remarks :
"That guy (Tyson Griffin) doesn’t want to fight me because he thinks he’s somewhere higher up than me? I just beat a guy that’s better than him. When was the last time he finished a fight anyways against any 155 pounder that was half decent on the ground..oh yeah never."
Elite XC To Return Early Without Kimbo Slice?
Buried in Dave Meltzer's column today on officiating controversy is a very important bit of news:
Shaw said the date of the next CBS card is expected to be finalized this week in a joint decision with CBS. Due to the success of the first show, CBS wants to have a return date in late July to capitalize on the momentum. Shaw feels Lawler and Smith wouldn’t be ready for a July date, nor would Slice.
Of course, "joint decision" means CBS decides while Shaw tries to persuade them otherwise. I don't have the deal in front of me, but I have no doubt this will be CBS's call. Running again is a gigantic risk: If the show flops, it will be derided as the new XFL. If it is a success, they will have a second batch of stars, and they will be able to confidently run shows without Kimbo on top in the future.
Miguel Torres eyes next WEC fight in possibly December
“They still have a couple of guys out there. They have Tapia, Brian Bowles, but he’s still kind of new. I hope they give him a couple of fights before they put him in there with me, but he’s a pretty tough guy; the guy from Greg Jackson’s camp, I think his name is Damacio Page. They have Dominick Cruz, he’s fighting at 135 now, so there are some guys out there. They have some more Japanese guys. I have guys in front of me waiting. I think in a couple of years, I’ll move up in weight, but right now I’ll stay at 35 and try to take care of business…. I told them I would like to go as soon as December. I want to fight at least by December. I want to get at least one more this year.
UFC Quick Quote: Nate Marquardt robbed twice in London
On a side note, our room was robbed last night and my computer, iPod, passport and several other items were stolen. That means we got robbed two days in a row here in London! HA :)”
– Nate Marquardt tells MMAWeekly.com about his fantastic weekend at UFC 85: “Bedlam” at the O2 Arena in London, England, this past weekend. First, he gets a point deducted that should not have been for an illegal blow to the back of Thales Leites’ head, which ends up costing him the fight.
PS. What about the illegal 'PILEDRIVER' that he wasn't punished for
i think the result was fair, especially with that brutal knee that Leites took. He was'nt the same after.......