UFC newcomer Brandon Wolff seeking full-time opportunity
The UFC may be fighting for the troops Wednesday night, but newcomer Brandon Wolff (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will be battling for his MMA future in his preliminary card bout with "The Ultimate Fighter 6" veteran Ben Saunders at "UFC Fight Night 16: UFC Fights for the Troops."
Wolff recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) his future as a full-time fighter hinges on his performance in the bout.
"If I do good on this fight, I'm going to be training full time," Wolff said. "I'll be able to fight four or five times a year, whenever the UFC wants me to. That's my goal, is to be real active after this fight. Just do it full time."
Justin McCully contemplates changes after UFC Fight Night 16
When heavyweight Justin McCully (8-4-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) enters the cage for Wednesday night's "UFC Fight Night 16: UFC Fights for the Troops," he will be at a crossroads.
But as the 32-year-old recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), he feels that all paths lead to a successful destination.
"You go from a semi-main event to an undercard with a guy like Gabriel Gonzaga, then back to the Ultimate Fight Night," McCully said. "But I feel very comfortable on the Ultimate Fight Night, and especially fighting for the troops. It's going to be an honor."
Koscheck has no plans to sign licensing agreement
Looks like Koscheck will be leaving the UFC very soon.......
During this week’s edition of ESPN.com’s MMA Live, Franklin McNeil of the NewarK Star-Ledger stated that UFC welterweight Josh Koscheck has not signed the infamous merchandising and licensing agreement that was one of the contributing factors for Jon Fitch’s brief release from the UFC last month.
Koscheck is a teammate of Fitch’s at the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose and is also represented by the same management company, Zinkin Entertainment. The former NCAA wrestling standout is set to face Yoshiyuki Yoshida at “UFC Fight Night 16: UFC Fight for the Troops” on Dec. 10 in Fayatteville, North Carolina.
McNeil expressed uncertainty as to whether Koscheck will continue fighting for the UFC following the bout’s conclusion.
K-1 ‘World Grand Prix 2008 Final’ Results
Here are the official results for K-1 ‘World Grand Prix 2008 Final’:
K-1 World Grand Prix Final
Remy Bonjasky (82-14) defeated Badr Hari (77-8-1) by disqualification (0:53-R2)
K-1 World Grand Prix Semifinals
Badr Hari (77-8-1) defeated Errol Zimmerman (75-8-1) by KO (2:15-R3)
Remy Bonjasky (82-14) defeated Gokhan Saki (74-10, 1NC) by TKO (0:53-R2)
Melvin Manhoef (38-4) defeated Paul Slowinski (87-14-1) via KO (2:26-R2)
Ray Sefo (75-20-1) defeated Hong Man-Choi (17-6) via unanimous decision
K-1 World Grand Prix Quarter Finals
Badr Hari (77-8-1) defeated Peter Aerts (93-27-1) by TKO (1:39-R2)
Errol Zimmerman (75-7-1, 1 NC) defeated Ewerton Teixeira (7-1) via majority decision
Gokhan Saki (74-9, 1 NC) defeated Ruslan Karaev (18-7) via unanimous decision
Remy Bonjasky (82-14) defeated Jerome Le Banner (91-16-1, 1 NC) by TKO (Injury) (1:46-R3)
Mitsugu Noda (7-2) defeated Tsutomu Takahagi (1-6) by KO (2:49-R2)
Takeru (6-12) defeated Taisei Ko (1-1) via unanimous decision
Fighting For Something Bigger.....The US Troops
"I'm looking forward to a good opportunity to step up and headline this event. It's going to be a historical event, where the UFC is giving back to the foundation. It's just a good honor. I think the UFC is doing a good thing and everybody that's fighting on this card can hopefully put on a great show for these troops and give them the show they deserve."
Jim Miller - No Hesitation
Most fighters just returning from their honeymoon after being married only a few weeks earlier would never entertain the idea of taking a fight on only eight days notice, but Jim Miller is not most fighters.
Without a blink, he stepped in for injured teammate Frankie Edgar, who had to drop out of his scheduled fight against Matt Wiman, and helped keep the bout on the main card of the upcoming UFC Fight for the Troops card on Dec. 10.
"Tuesday I got the call, like around noon, and came right down to the gym and warmed up and did a fight simulation to see where I was at, almost puked. I've just been training, trying to get a little bit of the rust out, and get ready to start cutting weight," Miller told MMAWeekly.com about his decision to accept the fight.
Neil Grove - New Ultimate Challenge HW Champ
LONDON – Having started a new promotion with a clean slate, former Cage Rage brains Dave O’Donnell set up three clashes to determine the new champions in front of a busy London Troxy on Saturday night to close out a turbulent 2008. Here’s how it all went down…
Trying to overcome a size deficit to someone like Neil Grove means that you have to be smart, and initially, that’s exactly the strategy James McSweeney implemented having opened his account with a superman punch before concentrating on sticking and moving. Once close, Grove took no hesitation in putting the smaller heavyweight on his back and under his gait, unable to land much in the way of damage, they went back and forth before finding their way to the feet again.
Browning Focused On Moving Forward
Junie Browning became one of the most polarizing figures in the eight seasons of The Ultimate Fighter, gaining notoriety for his aggressive fighting style and one liners before generating endless discussion on mixed martial arts forums and around water coolers for his drunken exploits and short temper. Browning wants to put the reality show persona behind him and focus on becoming a better fighter.
Strikeforce VP Talks Talent
The recent addition of former Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Jorge Gurgel to the ranks of Strikeforce caps off a year where veteran stars like newly crowned light-heavyweight champ Renato “Babalu” Sobral and young talents like Eric Lawson have helped the promotion grow to its biggest and most diverse state yet.
With a multitude of exciting fights and surprises from both the men and women’s divisions, Strikeforce has a lot to grow on in the coming year, according to company Vice President Mike Afromowitz.
“I think the talent we’ve had has really showed tremendous progression,” he stated. “We brought in new talent and there were some incredible moments.”
Affliction takes another haymaker: Margarito-Mosley to take place up the road from Affliction II on the same night
How can it get any worse for Affliction's Jan. 24 card? Many in the mixed martial arts world, including myself, thought it was a coup when Affliction forged a deal with boxing promoter Golden Boy. Oddly enough, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schafer and VP Eric Gomez have since refused to address in detail the company's ties to the MMA company beyond the apparel side of things.
Then came the news that one of Golden Boy's biggest names Shane Mosley would fight on the same night in a welterweight superfight against the hottest name in boxing, Antonio Margarito. At least Affliction could bank on a solid SoCal audience choosing to stay home and attend its MMA card at the Honda Center in Anaheim. Not so quick. Bob Arum just announced that boxing has dealt Affliction another crushing blow by putting the big boxing card just up the road at The Staples Center.
Bisping fight would be foolish move, Haye tells Maccarinelli
Standout British heavyweight David Haye has told fellow British pugilist Enzo Maccarinelli he would be "foolish" to try and fight Mike Bisping under MMA rules.
Haye, who stopped Maccarinelli in the second round of their fight earlier this year, says that MMA and boxing "are two completely different disciplines".
"It would be foolish to expect to switch between the two and dominate" he told Britain's Sun newspaper.
"If Enzo Maccarinelli and Michael Bisping were to meet in the Octagon it would be a no contest - Bisping would beat Maccarinelli 10 times out of 10."
"Michael knows the MMA game inside out, whereas Enzo would be completely new to it," he added.
He was responding to comments made earlier this week by Maccarinelli, who said he would fancy his chances against Bisping in an MMA fight.
Haye has long expressed admiration for mixed martial artists, who he describes as "very physically strong and are very dangerous in the clinch and on the ground. Those are two positions that pro boxers are not used to."
He also noted that when he sparred under MMA rules, "despite always starting on my feet with these guys, I was finding myself taken to the mat eight times out of 10."
Both Haye and Maccarinelli have trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and both compete in tournaments when not preparing for boxing matches.
Haye has said he would like to compete in mixed martial arts when he retires from boxing, but he is currently set on dominating his present sport's heavyweight scene.
BooYaa Is Now NoYaa In UFC & WEC
BooYaa Fight Wear, an MMA clothing line that wanted to sponsor UFC fighter Mike Budnik in his upcoming fight, won't be heard from or seen now in the Octagon because Zuffa has banned them from both UFC and WEC. The main reason appears to be that BooYaa is closely with another MMA promotion-King Of The Cage.
Justin McCully Trains with Al "Stankie" Stankiewicz for Upcoming Bout
McCully said he went back to basics in his training with the now-famous Al "Stankie" Stankiewicz in preparation for his bout with Eddie Sanchez (8-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC).
"I didn't necessarily make any adjustments," McCully said. "But I brought in one of my old boxing trainers, Al 'Stankie.' So I've been hitting my cardio a little bit harder. My boxing, my hands, my wrestling, it's all good.
Video: Fedor would face Brock Lesnar tomorrow
The management team for Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko discusses why he hasn't signed with the UFC, Dana White and goes on record that he would fight UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar, tomorrow.
New Mike Swick Interview
Listen in as Bloodyknux.Com's Tyler Horton talks to UFC 170 lb standout Mike" Quick" Swick as he prepares to take on Jonathon Goulet at UFN Fight Night For The Troops on December 10th. Mike talks about his adventures outside of the Octagon, his preparations for Goulet and his admiration for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which the UFN event is raising money for, and much more.....
Return to UFC possible for Dennis Hallman
Eleven-year veteran Dennis Hallman (40-12-2 MMA, 1-3 UFC), perhaps best known for a pair of quick submission wins over former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes, is reportedly under consideration for a return the sport's biggest organization.
Hallman's manager, Ken Pavia, discussed the possibility during Thursday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
"We actually talked to the UFC at length," Pavia said ."And we almost got that (Jon) Fitch fight in January, but (Akihiro) Gono stepped up. But it was between us and Gono. And [Hallman] might come back to the UFC."
Hallman was most recently seen in a November 2007 submission win over Jeremiah Metcalf in the California-based Strikeforce organization. The 33-year-old was then suspended for one year after testing positive for Drostanolone and Nandrolone Metabolite -- two types of steroids -- following the bout.
Pavia said the suspension is now over, and that Hallman is weighing several offers for his services.
"The suspension actually came out late November," Pavia said. "So he's now eligible. It's been like two or three weeks, and we've weighed two or three offers.
"We have legitimate, decent offers for him -- the likes of which he hasn't seen in a while."
Hallman has fought for a variety of organizations in his career, including the IFL, SportFight, Rumble on the Rock and King of the Cage. The Washington native handed Hughes the first two losses of his illustrious career, including a submission win in Hughes' second trip to the octagon at UFC 29.
Hallman would lose his next three bouts for the UFC to Jens Pulver, Frank Trigg and Jorge Rivera.
Pavia also cites Strikeforce as a possible home for Hallman. And despite competing most recently at 185 pounds, Pavia said a move to welterweight also seems likely for Hallman.
Torres On Bowles: ''It's His Time''
"I think Brian (Bowles earned) this fight a while ago. I think he's a very good opponent for me," said Torres without missing a beat. "He loves to stand up; I love to stand up. His jiu-jitsu is very good. His wrestling is very good. I think he's a very dangerous opponent. I'd love to fight Brian.
"Like I've said before, I'm in the WEC to fight the best fighters in the world. I know he doesn't have a huge record, but from what I've seen of him, he's a very, very honorable opponent."
Nate Diaz vs Clay Guida UFC 94 fight official
The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 5 lightweight winner Nate Diaz (10-2) will indeed battle Clay Guida (24-9) at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2,” which is scheduled for the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on January 31, according to GracieFighter.com.
The 155-pound competitors were previously penciled in to collide at TUF 8 Finale on December 12; however, the bout fell through because of a foot injury sustained by “The Carpenter” in training.
It was apparently a fight worth waiting for and is now set to take place on the monster Super Bowl weekend pay-per-view (PPV) show.
Bowles On Shot At Torres: ''It's What I Deserve''
World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight Brian Bowles has started to see the fruits of his labor in MMA.
In February, the 25-year-old Athens, Ga. native left his day job as a sales rep for Pepsi with the dream of making a serious run at the WEC bantamweight title. Gone are the 60-hour workweeks with training and fights squeezed in. Sure, he bar backs and bounces at a local club for extra money, but his day job doesn’t rule his life as before.
“I think my game has gotten so much better,” he said. “I get a lot more rest and recovery time. When I come into a fight, it helps me mentally, because I know I’ve focused all my time doing nothing but preparing for the fight.”