Tim Credeur vs Cale Yarbrough UFC Fight Night 14 fight official
The battle between former Team Forrest members Tim Credeur (9-2) and Cale Yarbrough (0-0) will finally happen at UFC Fight Night 14 at “The Pearl” at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada, on July 19.
It’s a last minute addition to the three-hour card set to air on Spike TV at 9 p.m. ET — the pair was supposed to tangle at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 7 Finale last month. However, the Nevada State Athletic Commission wouldn’t all Credeur to fight because of an Adderall prescription.
For more on that click here.
Credeur lost his initial semifinal bid to punch his ticket to the final fight against Amir Sadollah when he was defeated by Jesse Taylor in the final four. However, Taylor was kicked off the show shortly after it wrapped, creating another opportunity for Credeur to challenge for the six-figure contract.
Affliction weigh-in for ‘Banned’ set for Honda Center on July 18
The field of 22 fighters set to compete on the Affliction: “Banned” card will all tip the scales for the official weigh-in at the Honda Center (2695 E. Katella Ave.) in Anaheim, Calif., on Friday, July 18.
The “mega” event is FREE to attend and open to the public. Doors will open a 2 p.m. local time and the first fighter will drop his drawers around 3 p.m. PT. It will not air live online or on television.
“Banned” will take place the following day on Saturday, July 19, in the same location, airing on FOX Sports Net for FREE at 8 p.m. ET and then transitioning to pay-per-view (PPV) around 9 p.m. ET. MMAmania.com will provide up-to-the-minute coverage of the action throughout the afternoon and evening.
It’s the first-ever event for the apparel company-turned mixed martial arts promotion … and it’s a doozy. In the main event of the evening, former champions Fedor Emelianenko against Tim Sylvia will tangle for the right to claim the inaugural WAMMA heavyweight title strap.
Other heavyweights in action include Josh Barnett, Pedro Rizzo, Andrei Arlovski, Ben Rothwell, Alexander Emelianenko, Paul Buentello and others.
Following surgery, Mike Swick plans to return late this year
After undergoing minor surgery late last week, UFC welterweight Mike Swick (12-2 MMA, 7-1 UFC) hopes to return to action before the end of the year.
Swick today told MMAjunkie.com that the surgery was planned before his June victory over Marcus Davis.
"I've been needing to get it taken care of for a while," Swick said. "We knew we had to schedule it right after [the Davis] fight to get it done. I got a bunch of little bone fragments taken out of my elbow."
Swick was visiting the doctor for a follow-up appointment today but felt a late 2008 return was a strong possibility.
"I think [the elbow] is going to recover pretty well, and I should be back in November," Swick said. "I would say November, maybe December."
As we previously reported, Davis also entered the recent UFC 85 bout at less than 100 percent. Davis suffered a shoulder injury during overly intensive weightlifting sessions, and it resulted in a tear in the connective tissue between his triceps and rear deltoid. Davis went ahead and fought against his doctor's advice.
California Statement On MMA Rules Changes
After a tumultuous week of reactions from numerous commissions and public figures concerning the new rulings passed by the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC), the state of California has released a statement concerning changes they will or won’t be adopting when concerning the new rules. The statement did clearly define how California will deal with the new rules.
Baroni Dismisses Headbutt Attack, No Charges
Following being headbutted after his KO win over Scott Jansen, Phil Baroni has decided not to press charges against Scott's brother Dean, who attacked Baroni post-match. Dean Jansen has been banned by Cage Rage from attending future events.
Cain Velasquez has chance to show he’s real deal
Over the past decade, Javier Mendez has built San Jose’s American Kickboxing Academy into one of the nation’s premier mixed martial arts training centers, with top fighters coming from all over the world.
When Mendez lists the five most talented fighters he’s seen walk through his doors and train, at least one name on the list will surprise you, if you’ve even heard of it.
Nate Diaz and Clay Guida bouts to co-headline UFC Fight Night 15
September's UFC Fight Night 15 event will feature co-main events with past winners of "The Ultimate Fighter."
A fight between season-six winner Mac Danzig (18-4-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and opponent Clay Guida (23-9 MMA, 3-3 UFC) will be followed by the night's final bout between season-five winner Nate Diaz (9-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC) and Josh Neer (24-6-1 MMA, 3-3 UFC).
The Sept. 17 event takes place at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Neb., and the main card airs on Spike TV. The UFC recently announced the night's five televised bouts.
Spike TV Vice President David Schwarz today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that rather than a single main event, the two bouts will be billed as co-main events. (Spike TV often features notable "TUF" alumni in UFC Fight Night and The Ultimate Fighter Finale events.)
Much like the other Spike TV events this year, UFC Fight Night 15's fight card features some solid match-ups. UFC.com recently released the following televised main card (all previously reported here at MMAjunkie.com):
Nate Diaz vs. Josh Neer
Mac Danzig vs. Clay Guida
Houston Alexander vs. Eric Schafer
Alan Belcher vs. Ed Herman
Kyle Bradley vs. Joe Lauzon
DRUG TEST NETS TIGER WHITE 9 MONTH SUSPENSION
At a hearing before the Nevada State Athletic Commission last week, Vernon “Tiger” White was officially suspended stemming from a positive drug test result for the banned diuretic Hydrochlorothiazide. The drug test was following a May 31 kickboxing bout for Xtreme Fighting Association.
White received a nine month suspension, was fined his entire $2,000 win bonus, and the fight was changed from a victory for him to a no contest result.
"I'm not going to try to talk myself out of trouble, it was a stupid mistake,” said White during the hearing.
Due to the positive test result and impending suspension, White was removed from a fight against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira that was to take place on Saturday’s Affliction “Banned” event at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
Fellow UFC veteran Edwin Dewees, who has signed a multi-fight contract with Affliction, subsequently replaced him. Dewees’ first action for Affliction will be against Nogueira on Saturday night.
Fedor Remains Mysterious Despite Fame
Despite having a mystique like no other fighter, being universally considered the #1 fighter ever, and being dominant beyond belief, Fedor Emelianenko has never really been a box office draw despite all the talent and he reamins mysterious behind his fame.
Liaudin vs. Bielkheden At UFC 89?
Jess Liaudin vs. David Bielkheden appears to be in the works for UFC 89, a match which would have both fighters dropping 15 pounds to Lightweight instead of fighting at their current Welterweight.
New Barnett Article (Decent read)
New Josh Barnett write about leading to Affliction. Pretty good read..
My only issue is - they say he will probably be Fedor's toughest test if they ever do fight..
Tougher than Randy? Tougher than Arlovski?
Not sure I agree on that one..
Brandon Vera: Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou turned down UFC Fight Night 14 offers
“They offered me Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Lyoto Machida and then Reese Andy. I turned down Machida. He’s not someone you take on short notice. You gotta get ready for Machida. The other fighters turned down the other fights so that’s how we came to Reese.”
Heavyweight-turned light heavyweight, Brandon Vera, reveals a personal behind the scenes take on what went down in the scramble to put together UFC Fight Night 14: “Silva vs. Irvin” on short notice to counter the Affliction “Banned” show that same evening (July 19). It appears that there were a lot of names and potential match ups swirling; however, not everyone was comfortable competing with little time to prepare. James Irvin — who takes on Anderson Silva in the main event — recently told MMAmania.com that four fighters turned down offers to take on “Spider” before he was approached.
Belfort looks to Become a Brand New Vitor
Article talks about how he is training at XC in Vegas with Shawn Tompkins and how they are bringing his killer instinct back just like they did with Wanderlei.
From the article:
Tompkins helped turned Silva into the animal we were used to seeing, but when asked if he we would see the Vitor of Old on Saturday, Tompkins says no.
“You won’t see the Vitor of old. You will see a better Vitor than ever. He really looks unbelievable”
Full article here