Paul Daley: My Battle With Cage Rage & Pro Elite
In an exclusive interview ahead of his fight on Saturday night, Paul Daley revealed to Fighters Only that he has more than just his upcoming bout with Bojan 'Zelva' Kosednar on his mind.
"I've got a few things I want to get out in the air with regards to Pro Elite, Cage Rage and the future," he said. "I've got no contract with Cage Rage, my contract stands with Pro Elite. My fight with Cage Warriors seems to be a problem with the guys at Pro Elite."
Rival UK promotions Cage Rage and Cage Warriors are going head-to-head on Saturday night, holding events in London and Nottingham respectively. Daley agreed to fight in his home city of Nottingham months ago, citing complete approval from Pro Elite executives when he told them of his plans to fight. Since then, he claims Pro Elite have changed their stance on his headlining bout.
Paul Kelly Vs Marcus Davis At UFC 89
Wolfslair product Paul Kelly may be fighting Marcus Davis at UFC 89 in October, Fighters Only has been told.
Sources close to the fight have indicated that contracts are being drawn up for the fight, although nothing has as yet been signed.
Kelly made his UFC debut in January when he fought fellow Briton Paul Taylor on the undercard of UFC 80.
The pair won the Fight of the Night bonus for their three-round war, which the UFC screened on the pay-per-view broadcast despite it being originally scheduled as part of the non-televised undercard.
SERIOUSLY MARCUS. FIGHT IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY FOR ONCE!
New Jesse Taylor Interview
Now that he's done the time for his TUF crime, Jesse Taylor is ready to return to UFC and recently gave MMAmania an interview about what happened since TUF 7 and his return to UFC, among other topics.
Swick has Elbow Surgery
UFC Welterweight Mike Swick had elbow surgery Thursday, a minor procedure to remove bothersome bone chips. No timetable for his return but Swick hopes to fight again before the end of the year.
EliteXC retools Gary Shaw's role
Gary Shaw's future with EliteXC will involve a lot less camera time.
The omnipresent Shaw has been front and center with everything EliteXC since its first show last year. For the time being, though, those days are over as Shaw dials down his front man's role with the promotion.
Jon Fitch: " I'm fine fighting BJ after I win"
I think being in his face and keeping pace with him, never going away, just always bothering him is the biggest thing. I don't want him to think he's going to set a pace that I can't hang with...he's never fought a fighter like me," stated UFC welterweight Jon Fitch as he talked about his upcoming clash with UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre
The Highly Unofficial Half-Year UFC Awards - The Fights
"Well, at least the best UFC fight of 2008 thus far was an easy call. The rest of the top five (or in this case,
top six) was a little tougher, as there were plenty of action-packed and drama-filled bouts that could have easily fit in among the best of the first-half. Here’s to a second half of 2008 that’s just as exciting."
Tim Sylvia Talks About Fedor, Lesnar & More
Affliction has put together an incredible card for "Banned," the biggest mixed martial arts event of the year, which is scheduled to take place July 19 in Anaheim, Calif. Headlining the fight is Fedor Emelianenko, the man who has been considered the top fighter in the world for the past few years. He’s going up against one of the best heavyweights in the world, Tim Sylvia. Sylvia recently left the UFC and become one of the few high profile free agents in the sport. I recently caught up with Sylvia to talk about Fedor, MMA judging, Kimbo Slice, the growth of the sport and more.
Portland Getting UFC 91?
Anonymous sources have recently revealed that Portland, Oregon might be the next big U.S. city getting some UFC action.
Tentatively scheduled for November, UFC 91 is rumored to be taking place in "The Beaver State". A likely venue should the event happen in Portland is the Rose Garden, where the NBA's Portland Trailblazers currently play their home games.
Oregon is home to Team Quest, who boasts members such as Dan Henderson, Matt Lindland, and Jason "Mayhem" Miller.
The event will be the first time the UFC has ever been to Oregon.
DENIS KANG OFF OF DREAM 5 FIGHT CARD
American Top Team middleweight standout Denis Kang has been removed from Dream’s July 21 card in Osaka, Japan.
Kang told MMAWeekly.com he learned of the change last week. Until that time he had not been given an opponent by Dream’s promoter, Fight Entertainment Group. He’s still in the dark about the reason for his dismissal.
“I have no idea,” Kang responded. “I was feeling really good for this fight, I was peaking really well.”
His focus will now shift to Korea, where he is scheduled to defend his middleweight title in Korea’s Spirit MC promotion on August 31 against Jae Young Kim, a fighter he has twice defeated previously. After that, details are being ironed out for an appearance in Canada’s Raw Combat promotion against an unnamed opponent.
“I’m taking him really seriously,” Kang said of Kim. “I’m taking it like any title fight. It’s the first real belt I won, and it’s very special to me. I’m training hard.”
He is currently in Vancouver, working with longtime training partners at the Revolution Fight Team. He also plans on returning to Montreal, where Georges St. Pierre, Patrick Cote, and David Loiseau await him. Visa issues have kept Kang from training full time at American Top Team, but he will return there at some point as well.
As for his future with FEG, Kang says this isn’t the end of their relationship.
“I want to stay with them, I have no problem with them,” he said. “I don’t know that any organization can be perfect. I understand that’s just the way business goes. You have to remember, FEG is running K-1 and K-1 Max, K-1 Heavyweight and Dream at the same time. So I know they’re busy. It’s just very frustrating.”
Edit: i didnt see this posted although i kinda figured he wasnt fighting
Former UFC fighter Jeremy Jackson arrested, charged with multiple felonies
Jeremy Jackson, who appeared on season four of "The Ultimate Fighter," was arrested late last month and charged with seven felony offenses, including two counts of forcible rape.
The 26-year-old Jackson was apprehended on June 30 in Oxnard, Calif., and is being held in a Ventura County jail, with bail set at $1 million.
Officials with the Ventura County Sheriff's Department confirmed the arrest and charges with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). Events surrounding the arrest were not made available.
In addition to the two counts of forcible rape, Jackson was charged with kidnapping to commit another crime, first-degree residential burglary, assault with a firearm, dissuading a witness by force or threat, and criminal threats. At his initial arraignment, three additional charges -- all felonies -- were levied against Jackson, which included two counts of sexual assault and one count of sex crimes (aggravated circumstances).
Jackson is due in Ventura County Superior Court again Wednesday, at which time he is expected to enter pleas to the charges.
Jackson's appearance on the fourth season of "TUF" was short-lived. UFC President Dana White kicked him off the reality show after he violated rules by leaving the fighter house to meet a woman.
He was invited back to fight on the season finale and suffered a neck injury in a submission loss to Pete Spratt.
Since that fight in November of 2006, Jackson (9-5) has fought just once, winning a Total Combat match in March of last year.
Cavalcante vs. Galbraith fills Showtime portion of July 26 EliteXC
A light heavyweight bout between Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante (6-1) and Travis Galbraith (15-5) rounds out the Showtime portion of the July 26 "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" event at the Stockton Arena in Stockton, Calif.
Three fights air on Showtime before the event returns to CBS for EliteXC's second go at network television.
In addition Cavalcante vs. Galbraith, the Showtime card features Brian Caraway vs. Wilson Reis, as well a bout between between Antonio Silva and Justin Eilers for the first-ever EliteXC heavyweight title.
The Cavalcante vs. Galbraith bout was first reported by Sherdog.com.
Cavalcante, a highly touted 205-pounder, will make his third EliteXC appearance. After fighting in the IFL, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and Anderson Silva protege debuted with EliteXC in February. He's since posted first-round knockouts of John Doyle and Wayne Cole.
He'll now meet Galbraith, a one-time PRIDE fighter and veteran of King of the Cage. The Canadian is also well-versed in submissions, having earned submission wins in five of his past six victories. Since a TKO loss to Kazuhiro Nakamura at PRIDE 32, Galbraith is 3-1, which includes a first-round submission of Martin Desilets at a June 20 Raw Combat event.
For the latest "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" fight card, which includes a main-event rematch between EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith, check out the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com)
Lyoto Machida To Fight Again In October
Machida's agent tells Tagg radio that Machida will have to fight again before getting a shot at the title. He also reiterates that Anderson Silva does not want to fight for the title since his friend is in line for a title shot and that Machida doesn't want to fight him either.
DREAM.5 Card Finalized... Kind of
With only 10 days left before the event which will crown their new promotion's first-ever Grand Prix champion, FEG have updated the official DREAM.5 site with some interesting undercard bouts now bolstering what was already sure to be a solid night of fights.
- As rumored earlier this week, Yoshihiro Akiyama will square off against Katsuyori Shibata in a middlweight bout, after Shibata challenged the Hero's vet during last week's Akasaka Fight Festival.
- Joachim "Hellboy" Hansen will face Kultar "Black Mamba" Gill in a reserve bout for the Lightweight Grand Prix, in the event that one of the semifinal winners cannot continue after their match. Both were previously eliminated from the tournament by fighters now in the semifinals: Gill in the opening round by Tatsuya Kawajiri, and Hansen in the quarterfinals by Eddie Alvarez.
- Kuniyoshi Hironaka will see his first action since being released from his UFC contract in May. Hironaka, who ran up against some stiff competition in the States and most recently suffered a heartbreaking TKO loss to Jonathan Goulet at UFC 83, is set to face 4-0 Greatest Common Multiple standout Motoki Miyazawa.
- According to Nightmare of Battle, Mark Hunt has also been announced as a participant.
-------->> Right now the card stands as->
AOKI SHINYA or UNO CAOL
EDDIE ALVAREZ or KAWAJIRI TATSUYA
YAMAMOTO KID NORIFUMI
MMA Sheds It's Violent Image
It took 11 years for Jonathan Lowell to feel comfortable enough with public acceptance of mixed martial arts to include those words in the name of his business.
Although he opened his business in Satellite Beach in 1997, it was only this year that his studio became Master Lowell's Mixed Martial Arts Academy in its newest location on North Wickham Road.
"It really wasn't exactly acceptable," Lowell said of early attitudes toward mixed martial arts. "I continued to call my school a black-belt karate school because I wasn't sure how parents would accept us."