Gina Carano And Cris Cyborg Will Sign Together
Former EliteXC fighters Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg are in negotiations to make sure that their next fight is with each other, we can exclusively reveal.
Speaking to Fighters Only correspondent Stash Capar this week, Carano said the match “is a dream fight”.
“I want to make that happen,” she said. “My people are in touch with her, so we’re going to make sure we sign together for the same promotion.”
However, Xtreme Couture athlete Carano hinted that wherever her and Cyborg end up signing, fledgling Affliction promotion could be out of the running thanks to the recent fallout between Todd Beard and Randy Couture.
“There’s a bit of a barrier between me and Affliction,” she revealed. “You know, with Randy and that whole thing. But if they approach me with an offer, who knows?”
Carano’s more immediate concern is the imminent auction of EliteXC assets, announced shortly after the promotion ceased operations.
“I don’t really know what’s happening. I think Elite XC’s gonna sell all of the fighters contracts, mine included. It’s a standstill,” she sighed.
“But when one door closes, another one opens. I’m sure we’ll find a new platform for female fights. It’s definitely proven to be popular.”
Three fighters issued UFC 90 medical suspensions
The Illinois State Athletic Commission recently issued medical suspensions to a total of three fighters who competed at last month's UFC 90 event, the commission confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Among those shut down was headliner Patrick Cote, who suffered a knee injury during a third-round TKO to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.
UFC 90 took place Oct. 25 at Allstate Arena just outside Chicago.
It was the UFC's first-ever event in the state of Illinois, which only recently began regulating MMA events.
Cote, who last longer than any other of Silva's UFC opponents, ultimately dropped to the mat in the first minute of the third round. While lunging forward, his knee buckled, and he re-aggravated a past injury. Cote has been suspended 45 days and can have no contact for 30 days, though he could be sidelined longer depending on the nature of his injury.
Additionally, heavyweight Fabricio Werdum was suspended 60 days (no contact for 45 days) following his stunning first-round TKO loss to UFC newcomer Junior de Santos on the night's televised main card.
Finally, preliminary-card fighter and late replacement Drew McFedries was suspended 30 days following his first-round submission loss to Thales Leites. McFedries tapped out from a rear-naked choke 78 seconds into the fight.
Joe Stevenson motivated to defeat Kenny Florian at UFC 91 thanks to BJ Penn loss
“I still think about [the loss to BJ Penn]. I have to. It’s what keep me motivated and makes me train harder. If we don’t remember our past, we can’t go forward. I have a Hawaiian wife man. She brings it up every time we argue…. I’m fighting to be a champion. I want that belt; there is no other reason. I’ve fought for free and I’ll probably fight for free before I die again, but I’m going to bring it.”
Luis Cane wants to fight the best … like Keith Jardine
“Maybe they put me against (Keith) Jardine, a tough fighter, another Top 10, but I won’t choose opponents. I’ll wait for Joe Silva decide who I’ll fight and I’m sure it won’t be easy, they’ll put me another great fighter and that’s what I want. I’m ready for that and I want to be between the best.”
– Luis Cane tells Tatame.com that he is ready to challenge the top fighters in the UFC light heavyweight division. “Banha” destroyed Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou via second round technical knockout at UFC 89: “Bisping vs. Leben” just last month. It was his second straight win — the Brazilian heel stopped Jason Lambert at UFC 85: “Bedlam” back in June. His only loss is to James Irvin, which was ruled a disqualification because of an errant knee to the face. The 27-year-old fighter is tough as nails and comes prepared to bang, making any match up with a top 205-pound competitor a juicy one.
Filho Moving To LHW
Paulo Filho says that his loss to Chael Sonnen at WEC 36 will do him good and imbue him with “a new spirit”.
Filho was undefeated in sixteen fights before dropping a points decision to Sonnen after a sluggish and outright bizarre performance that at one point saw him talking to himself and repeatedly looking over his shoulder.
Speaking to Brazilian MMA magazine Tatame, he said: ”The fact is that I have no excuses, he went in there and did his job to neutralize me and that’s what happened.”
He added that suffering his first professional defeat was “sad – but it was good to give me a new spirit”.
Following the loss, Filho – who failed to make weight for the middleweight clash - is now looking at a move to light-heavyweight and is also planning a move to Los Angeles.
Spike Offers 5 TUF Fights For Kimbo
Pun apparently intended. Taking their cue from UFC President Dana White, who recently said Kimbo Slice was more than welcome to be a loser on "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show, Spike TV recently released a list of TUF fighters they believe should be the first to introduce Slice to the UFC--or at least its leather glove as it smashes his face.
Sonnen Thrown Off By Filho's Tactics
Chael Sonnen traveled to Hollywood, Fla. with the goal of winning the World Extreme Cagefighting middleweight title and avenging a previous loss to Paulo Filho. He avenged the loss, but left the "Sunshine State" without the belt.
Originally scheduled as a five-round title bout, the fight was relegated to a three-round non-title match after Filho failed to make weight. Sonnen was disappointed that his title shot ended when Filho stepped on the scales, but he tried to remain focused on the fight. "It was heartbreaking. It really hurt me alot. And I sort of went through the denial phase to make it through the 24 hours," Sonnen said at the post-fight press conference.
"I even kind of had to lie to myself in order to put it out of my mind. But I worked really hard and I wanted to get that championship," added the 31-year old fighter. "I can't spin it any other way. It really hurt."
Faber Wants Another Shot
Since the purchase of World Extreme Cagefighting by Zuffa in 2006, “The California Kid” Urijah Faber had become the top star in the promotion because of his exciting style and relentless aggression, but on Wednesday night the king dropped his crown as Faber lost his 145lb title to Mike Brown.
After the fight was over, Faber made no excuses for the loss, which was on the 2nd of his career and the first loss for him since September 2005.
“Unfortunate, lost the belt tonight, got caught with a solid punch and TKO’ed first round,” Faber stated. “I’d rather go out in a blaze of glory than wither away. I’ll be back, I’ll be back for sure.”
Following his performance, Faber had a chance to review the fight tape and also stated that he hasn’t been rocked in a fight like that since the only other loss in his professional career to Tyson Griffin.
New WEC champ Mike Brown plotting his opportunity to validate title
Less than 24 hours after literally shocking the MMA world, new WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown (20-4 MMA, 2-0 WEC) is nursing an injury that will keep him out of action in the immediate future.
But while may fighters would relish the opportunity to celebrate a recent defeat of the widely regarded No. 1 fighter in the world in their weight class, Brown is already plotting his chance to show the world his victory over Urijah Faber at "WEC 36: Faber vs. Brown" was no fluke.
"A lot of people feel that you're not the champ until you've defended the belt at least once," Brown today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "And I feel like that's pretty accurate. You've got to be the champ and kind of hold your ground and show what got you there. So I'm ready to do that, and really put myself as a true champ and a not a one-hit wonder."
Brown entered Wednesday night's main event as a 3-to-1 underdog by most Las Vegas wagering lines. And judging by the comments of most experts and fans in the MMA community, Brown's chances were far less against "The California Kid" and his 13-fight win streak.
BJJ Phenom Robert Drysdale Leaving BJJ, Submission Wrestling for MMA
I had the pleasure of talking to Robert Drysdale yesterday. He's more than just the grappling coach for Frank Mir's team on this season of TUF. He's won a ton of BJJ titles and beat Marcelo Garcia at last year's ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship to take the Open Division title.
The buzz around Drysdale has been building all year. First he joined Xtreme Couture as part of their pro team and jiu jitsu coach. Then Robert made his amateur mma debut in October against the previously undefeated Josh Musick (8-0) in the main event of "TUFF-N-UFF", winning by submission.
He looked good in the match, using a punch to set up his takedown and not getting flustered when his first submission attempt didn't finish the fight.
One of the reasons I'm most excited about Drysdale entering MMA is that he's one of the grapplers who are one the cutting edge of the sport. Along with Eddie Bravo and Marcelo Garcia, Drysdale is one of the grapplers making major conceptual leaps in his approach to BJJ. His Nth Dimension of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu DVDs are highly recommended by our own Luke Thomas. This introductory segment is worth a viewing -- he explains how he has abandoned the traditional BJJ approach of using position to set up submissions and instead focuses on using submission threats to achieve dominant postion. And his bodylock family of submissions is something totally new to me -- I can't wait to see him bust it out in an MMA match.
CSAC Suspends ProElite's Promoter's License
Pro Elite/Elite XC’s and King of the Cage’s licenses are suspended. They were suspended yesterday, when after looking into the matter carefully the exact situation was determined. However, it is not due to any type of contracts.
The primary reason that Pro Elite/Elite XC’s and King of the Cage’s licenses have been placed on suspension is because of their financial states and the fact that Pro Elite, the owner of King of the Cage, has suspended operations and their tangible and intangible assets are being auctioned on November 17.
CALIFORNIA STATE ATHLETIC COMMISSION
Armando Garcia, Executive Officer
Filho: “It was good to give me new spirit”
“The loss isn’t good, but that’s good to learn. We need more focus, responsibility, and the weight is a problem… What happened yesterday we’ll forget and start all over again. We’ll train here and get our rematch with Sonnen, and then go to light-heavyweight division”, revealed Distak.
Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal making immediate impact in Sengoku
I can make 185 (pounds)," Lawal said. "I can make 205 (pounds). I can make heavyweight. Let's put it like this: I'm trying to fight where I can get the most cash."
And while "King Mo" has enjoyed the flashy style of Japanese MMA, he would also enjoy fighting in front of his native country when the time is right.
"I'd fight in the UFC if I was ready to go," Lawal said. "I could probably go there (now) and beat some people there, but I just feel like I need to hone my skills. When I'm ready to make a run for a title, I'll go to the UFC or go to Affliction. Go to whatever big organization is around.
Mir Disappoints Kaplan
In this Spike.com exclusive, Frank Mir takes Dave Kaplan's loss to Phillipe Nover personally and shies away from the camera as he sheds a few tears. Good to see some emotion, at least he cares.
Garcia Ready To Fight Brown
Leonard Garcia’s win against Jens Pulver at this Wednesday’s WEC 36 brought an end of sorts to a long period of struggling in his life. Seven months ago, the Lubbock, Texas native was looking at jail time as part of a federal drug trafficking indictment. A promising young featherweight in a rising organization, the charges threatened to put a halt to Garcia's career before it blossomed. Eventually, he was cleared of the charges, but still may have to do a year of probation for refusing to assist the authorities’ investigation.
Garcia knew a victory could be a benchmark in his career. He knew that in life, as in fighting, anything could happen at any moment; the opportunity could not be wasted.
“Fighting Jens, I knew it was going to be a good fight,” he said. “I thought it was going to be a little more drug out, but I trained really hard for this, and I think it’s a life changing fight. That’s kind of the approach I took for it, and it worked out for me.”
Their encounter was surprisingly short. Pulver, lining up for a KO with his straight left, walked right into a pair of hooks from Garcia. The shots visibly wobbled Pulver, and Garcia charged in to finish. It was over in 72 seconds.
UFC to Release Economic Impact Study to Prove How Much Revenue MMA Events Would Bring to New York State
WHO: Lawrence Epstein, General Counsel, Ultimate Fighting Championship®
Marc Ratner, VP for Governmental & Regulatory Affairs, Ultimate Fighting Championship®
Jamie Springer, HR&A Advisors, author of economic impact study
WHAT: Conference call to discuss an economic impact study showing fiscal benefits and revenue, including event spending and visitor spending, that Ultimate Fighting Championship® events would contribute to state and local economies if they were held in New York City and Buffalo, respectively
WHY: As legislators prepare to debate the regulation of the sport of mixed martial arts in New York, officials from the Ultimate Fighting Championship® urge them to consider the much-needed tourist spending and tax dollars that events would bring to cash-strapped communities.
Mixed martial arts is among the fastest growing sports in the world, and UFC® is the most heavily regulated and widely recognized of the MMA organizations. Known for its intense competition and remarkable athleticism, the sport is winning an increasingly large following. Its surging popularity has made it a coveted attraction for local officials and arena owners alike. A sellout crowd of 21,390 – the biggest ever for a UFC fight – attended the April 19 UFC® welterweight championship match in Montreal, producing a live gate of more than $5 million.
Mike Brown On Taking The Title From Faber
Mike Brown shocked a few people when he stopped the seemingly-unbeatable Urijah Faber in last night’s WEC featherweight title clash.
But one person who was not surprised was Brown himself. Speaking to Fighters Only earlier, he said that he felt very confident going into the cage, and knew that the belt was almost certainly his when he dropped Faber before pounding him out on the ground.
“I felt really great man, I was in a good place. Out back with all my teammates there, being at home... it was just a great weekend,” he said.
“I got in there and just fought. Caught him with a good shot and then just jumped on him and finished him off.”
When Faber dropped, he landed on his hands and knees with Brown glued to his side and working relentlessly for the finish.
“I knew he was hurt and I wanted to finish him, I was swinging hard," he recalled.
"But it’s kind of hard to punch somebody when they are on their belly because you are not allowed to hit the back of the head. So I had to look for the shots, I threw a lot of uppercuts under the armpit.”
While those underarm swings landed flush on Faber’s chin and prompted the referee to wave the fight off, they also took their toll on Brown.
Viewers saw him complain of a pain in his ribs as he rose to his feet and an x-ray later confirmed he had sustained some damage.
“I tore some cartilage in my rib in the fight when I was swinging at the end. I went to get it checked out and they said I will be out for four to six weeks,” he revealed.
The forced rest will not bother the new champion though – the long training camp for this fight means he welcomed the opportunity to bow out of training for a short while.
Brown now holds the crown in a stacked featherweight division which includes the likes of Leonard Garcia and the newly-signed Wageny Fabiano.
WEC 36 Fighter Bonuses
Each fighter receiving a bonus award was given $7,500 on top of their regular fight purse. MMAWeekly.com confirmed the bonuses with a WEC official late Wednesday night in Hollywood, Fla.
The WEC 36 Knockout of the Night seemed like a no brainer as Mike Brown was able to unseat Urijah Faber as the top featherweight in the world with a devastating punch in the first round of their championship matchup.
The WEC 36 Submission of the Night went to bantamweight fighter Rani Yahya, who got out of a tough spot of his own early in the fight to eventually finish Yoshiro Maeda with a guillotine choke at 3:30 in the first round of their bout.
The WEC 36 Fight of the Night on Wednesday night could end up as a fight of the year candidate after Donald Cerrone and Rob McCullough went to war in a pivotal lightweight showdown. In the end, Cerrone got the nod with a unanimous decision, but both fighters were able to benefit from the bonus after a phenomenal showing for the fans.
Although not one of the "of the Night" award bonuses, featherweight Leonard Garcia was handed a separate $7,500 bonus for his performance against former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver. He TKO'd Pulver slightly more than a minute into their televised bout.
WEC 36 Fight of the Night
Donald Cerrone and Rob McCullough
WEC 36 Knockout of the Night
WEC 36 Submission of the Night
Hermes Franca Arrested For DUI
Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight competitor, Hermes Franca, was arrested last night by the Jupiter Police Department in Jupiter, Fla for a DUI offense as confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by members of the police force on Thursday morning.
Authorities could not release much more information than what was listed on their official police blotter confirming Franca’s arrest.
According to the report, Franca was arrested at 2:38am by an officer who suspected the fighter was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
It was also listed that this was Franca’s first offense.
While officials of the Jupiter Police Department could confirm the arrest, they had no information about his detainment or release from being held from the arrest.