Affliction VP Stands By PPV Numbers
Much speculation has surrounded the financial success of Affliction's debut as a mixed martial arts promoter. With a confirmed three million dollar payroll on July 19th, as well as a fifteen thousand seat arena to fill, it seemed a tall order for the clothing company to end up in the black.
But Affliction VP says that the money pit that many imagined wasn't as deep as expected. He won't give specific numbers on its pay per view performance. Like his sometime antagonist, UFC president Dana White, he believes that when people know how much money you make, it creates problems.
"It's been my experience that the UFC doesn't release their numbers, and I try to learn from other companies with mistakes and what they're doing right," Atencio said.
Lawler Taking Time Off, More About Shields At MW
After fighting twice on primetime network television over the span of seven weeks, EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler expressed during the post-fight press conference for “Unfinished Business” this past Saturday that he was planning on taking some time off.
Despite promoting shows on Aug. 15, Sept. 20, Sept. 26, and Oct. 4, it appears that EliteXC is in complete agreement that Lawler needs a break. EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that Lawler will be on hiatus in order to allow his body time to recover from competing in back-to-back fights in such close proximity, as well as to allow the nasty gash sustained to the top of his scalp to heal.
After getting stitches 77 times, Marcus Davis discusses recent scar-tissue surgery
After UFC welterweight Marcus Davis (16-4 MMA, 6-2 UFC) saw his 11-fight win streak snapped at UFC 85, many fans were critical of the performance of "The Irish Hand Grenade."
As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously reported, it was nearly a month after that loss to Mike Swick before Davis would comment on a severe shoulder injury that hampered his performance that evening.
"I don't like to talk a lot about injuries and stuff like that because I think they can be excuses," Davis said while a guest on a recent episode of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com. "Because nobody fights 100 percent."
New Interview from Frankie Edgar!!!
Check out the latest Interviews done by Penny Buffington on
Part from the Interview...get the full Interview on
“I take about a week off. I usually get right back to it. Being that I’m a little banged up, you know, I’ve still got some stitches from the fight. As soon as I heal I’ll be right back training.
I want to be the best. I had a setback in my last fight and I know I’ve got a lot to prove still and improving as well. But I eventually want a World Championship.”- Frankie Edgar
Davis-Takaya Now Off WEC 35
WEC 35 has become an on-again off-again affair for LC Davis. First he was on to replace Cub Swanson against Hiroyuki Takaya. Now the fight is completely off. Word is Takaya turned it down.
For Brian Stann, Change Is Good
Four years ago, when Brian Stann turned pro, he was looking to pad his resume with something that might make for interesting conversation 10 or 20 years down the road. Winning a major championship was the furthest thing was from his mind.
“The first day I started training I thought, ‘This is really cool and it would be cool to look back on my life and say I fought professionally and as an amateur for a little while,’” the 27-year-old recalled. “It was just something I thought would be a great hobby. All of a sudden I turned pro, kept winning fights and here I am. You have to remind me everyday that I’m a champion of a big organization because I certainly don’t remember it or think about it. I never expected to be where I’m at. I’m very fortunate.”
The unbeaten WEC light heavyweight champion, who had lived in North Carolina, recently relocated to Atlanta. Stann has a new job in the healthcare industry and a flexible work schedule that allows him to train full-time. He raves about so-called “Hotlanta” being a hotbed of MMA talent. Just as important, for the first time in his career, Stann has MMA coaches like Adam and Rory Singer, Roan Carneiro and Roberto Traven teaching him the X’s and O’s of technique and fight strategy. After 9 years of military service – including two tours in Iraq – Stann is no longer on active duty, affording him more time to train for his upcoming rematch with Steve Cantwell. And though Stann smashed Cantwell in 49 seconds during their first go-round, he isn’t taking the dangerous challenger lightly.
Thales Leites Talks Training, Dean Lister And More
Thales Leites took time out from his busy training schedule to sit down with us and answer some questions. going to face the North-American Dean Lister, Jiu Jitsu specialist, at UFN 15 – in September. Check it out:
ER:Dean Lister has beaten Jeremy Horn by submission. He is a fighter who has Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as his main weapon of attack. What did you think about the choice of this opponent and what game plan do you intend to put in practice to beat him?
Zuffa Rumored To Have Signed Third "Team Bombsquad" Member Mike Massenzio
It's been an eventful week for "Team Bombsquad" to say the least. First came the news that light-heavyweight prospect Jon Jones had signed with the UFC and would be fighting at UFC 87 against Andre Gusmao, then featherweight John Franchi signed a deal with the WEC.
The new rumor is that 185lb. rising star Mike Massenzio (11-2) has signed a deal with the UFC, and will debut at Ultimate Fight Night 15 against the heavy-handed Drew McFedries of Miletich Fighting Systems.
Heath Signs Multi-Fight Deal With MFC
Following his release from the Ultimate Fighting Championship earlier this year, David Heath has signed a multi-fight deal with the Canada-based Maximum Fighting Championship.
The organization announced the signing of Heath in a press release sent out to the media this morning. No indication has been made as of yet by MFC President Mark Pavelich concerning a potential debut date and opponent for him.
After racking up five straight wins in smaller shows, Heath busted onto the UFC light heavyweight scene almost two years ago, winning consecutive over Victor Valimaki and Cory Walmsley. However Heath’s quick success earned him matchups against much tougher opponents and the Oklahoma native ended up dropping his next three UFC bouts. He was last stopped by replacement opponent Tim Boetsch at UFC 81: Breaking Point in February before his contract was terminated.
Emelianenko and Sylvia among lengthy "Affliction: Banned" medical suspensions
The California State Athletic Commission has issued a total of nine fighters, including headliners Fedor Emelianenko and Tim Sylvia, medical suspensions stemming from the July 19 "Affliction: Banned" event.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today received the list of suspensions from the CSAC.
The recent pay-per-view and FSN event took place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., and was the debut show for the upstart Affliction Entertainment promotion.
The full list of suspensions included:
Tito Ortiz's Options
Recent reports that Tito Ortiz has come to terms with Affliction appear to be premature. He was in Stockton for Elite XC, and I highly doubt he made the trip up to see the fights. At this point, he is by far the hottest free agent in the industry, and all three major companies would benefit from signing him.
Less than 33 percent of "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" tickets sold
This past Saturday's "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" event in Stockton, Calif. -- the second EliteXC event to air on network TV via CBS -- had a large and energetic crowd of spectators.
But few of them -- less than 33 percent in all -- paid to be there at the Stockton Arena.
Of the 8,541 tickets the organization printed for the event, just 2,871 were sold. A total of 3,701 were given away, and 2,023 "deadwood" tickets went unused, according to paperwork the California State Athletic Commission today sent to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
This past Saturday's event drew a live gate of just $268,715. A total of $340,960 in tickets were comp'd, and $206,155 worth of tickets went unsold.
Needless to say, the numbers are hugely disappointing.
Carlos Condit: ‘I can deal with any one of those guys in the UFC’ (Audio)
On his thoughts about the WEC’s welterweight division and where it fits in with Georges St. Pierre in the UFC and Jake Shields in EliteXC:
“There are some tough dudes. They (the WEC) are still working on their roster. They’re still working on filling out their welterweight division. Obviously, they are not as strong as the UFC. But I feel, me being the champion, I can deal with any one of those guys in the UFC and beat quite a few of them and give any of them a run for their money. There are some tough guys (in the WEC). My last three fights have been against pretty legit competitors. This guy I’m fighting on Sunday is very tough as well. It’s not as stacked as the UFC’s welterweight division, but there is some talent.”
NOTE: The audio link has the full interview. The other link just gives you a quick outlay of what was asked.