Wandy's next fight still up in the air
The rumors he's fighting Thiago Silva or Machida seem to be false.
Wanderlei Silva reinvigorated his fan base and appears to be catching the imagination of legions of new fans with stellar performances in each of his first two fights inside of the octagon. One, an instant classic; a back and forth battle with former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell, and the other, a brutal first round knockout of the last man to beat Liddell, Kieth Jardine.
Internet bloggers and popular forums have been quick to muse about Silva's next opponent and it wasn't long before "confirmation" was coming from everywhere. One fan went as far as creating a fake Wanderlei Silva myspace account and sent a bulletin stating that Silva would be fighting either Thiago Silva or Lyoto Machida. Other bloggers have "confirmed" that Silva will face Jardine's teammate and close friend, Rashad Evans. Still another source insisted that Matt Hamill was Silva's next opponent, though Fightline.com spoke directly with Hamill's representatives who flatly denied that a fight with Silva is on the table.
If any of this is true, it's certainly news to Silva and his camp who relayed the following to our friends over at Tatame:
“If they have mouth, they can talk. Nobody from UFC call us to talk about the next fight. Wanderlei is on vocations at Hawaii, I talked with him on the fone and there is nothing right for the next bout”, guaranteed Alejarra, denying the information.
So, for now, don't believe the hype. According to Silva himself it's likely that his next fight will be a rematch with Chuck Liddell or Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.
June 27 ShoXC event postponed
A June 27 ShoXC event that MMAjunkie.com first reported in May has been postponed.
The outdoor event had been scheduled for the Sycuan Casino and Resort near San Diego and was expected to feature the promotional debut of highly touted Judoka Hector Lombard.
However, according to our friends at fiveouncesofpain.com, EliteXC officials had difficulty securing the venue, but they are looking to reschedule the event for a later date.
Nevermind, been posted.
"Rodrigo Minotauro's team on TUF just got two top-notch reinforcements to battle Frank Mir's team. Minota (as he's also known in Brazil) will be aided by a UFC Champion, Anderson Silva, and Lyoto Machida, who walked right through Tito Ortiz on UFC 84, in his athletes' trainning sessions. "I want to appologize to Leal Combat, but I've got a contract with the UFC, and won't be able to attend to their event", said Anderson Silva, who's already with Lyoto at the house where they film the tv show, to help Minotauro get one more victory in his carreer
Found this on another site and wow.... who's going to want to be on Mir's team, language barrier or not.
Mark Coleman eyes fall UFC return
"It's just going to take some time to heal," Coleman said of his knee. "The good news is no surgery. I'm rehabbing it hard. ... I plan on coming back stronger because of this. I'm building the muscles that are going to take care of my knee even better."
Originally scheduled to face former WWE superstar and decorated amateur wrestling Brock Lesnar in August, Coleman was forced to withdraw from the bout while recovering from the injury. The 43-year-old now hopes to return to action by October at the latest.
UFC Quick Quote: Dana White on UFC 85: ‘Cursed’
“I’m wondering if this kid [Thiago Alves] should be at 170 or not. If this were a title fight, I’d be really pissed. What are you going to do? Matt Hughes agreed to fight him at 175, so it’s not all bad. … I can’t wait to get this card behind me, to be honest with you. Eight guys dropped out. The main event guy can’t make weight. It’s crazy.”
UFC President Dana White shares his thoughts via Yahoo!Sports.com on the fiasco also known as UFC 85: “Bedlam” at the O2 Arena in London, England, on Saturday, June 7. The latest blow was Thiago Alves coming in four pounds heavy four his main event fight with Matt Hughes. For what it’s worth Hughes proves once again that he is such a team player, agreeing to take the fight with Alves at a catchweight with little to no resistance. In addition, the UFC has really demonstrated its superior depth by cobbling together a card that is still ripe with talent. I’m still interested regardless of all the shenanigans.
411mania MMA Interview: The EliteXC’s Gary Shaw
“I had the show on CBS. Dana White watched the show on CBS. That says it all.” –Gary Shaw
Gary Shaw is one of the largest figures behind the up and coming EliteXC company. What many people may not know is that Gary Shaw is no stranger to putting on large-scale successful events as he is also behind the highest grossing boxing match of all time, Mike Tyson vs. Lennox Lewis. Gary Shaw recently took time out to talk with 411mania about the EliteXC, Dana White, and More.
411Mania Mr. Shaw, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to join 411mania. How are you doing today? Tell us a little about your background that led you into MMA.
Gary Shaw "I'm doing great, thanks for asking. I was a former regulator in New Jersey, a boxing promoter and a big fan of the sport of Mixed Martial Arts."
411Mania First of all you just completed the first Prime Time MMA show the CBS Network. Tell us how you thought it went?
GS "I think it was terrific. The company is happy. CBS is happy. The fighters are happy. We pulled the demographics we wanted and the ratings were great. I think it was the best show it could be. There is always room for improvement. We put the show together in two months."
411Mania A lot of fans of who watched the show thought some of the stoppages were a little premature? What are your opinions on that?
GS "You know, the refs are in the best position to determine when to stop a fight. I agree with their decisions. I would rather stop a fight one punch too soon rather than one punch too late."
411Mania One thing I noticed more than anything on the show was your willingness to pay both Smith and Lawler after their stoppage. This seems like something I wouldn't expect from the UFC. How else are you different from Dana White and the UFC?
GS "Dana White has a huge ego and I don't. It is all about Dana White in the UFC and what he can do to help himself. I care about our fighters and organization more than myself. It just comes down to this Dana White cares about Dana White and I care about our fighters and it paid off. I had the show on CBS and Dana White watched the show on CBS. That says it all."
411Mania I have to say there was no better fight to introduce casual fans to MMA than the Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith fight. Can we expect to see a rematch between Lawler and Smith?
GS "I completely agree with that statement. It was everything that is good about MMA. We will absolutely see a rematch between them, probably anywhere between August and October. I hope it will be on CBS but it could be on Showtime."
411Mania Apparently you had some issues at the post fight news conference between Kimbo and Rodgers in which Rodgers stated he saw Kimbo tap. You actually had to physically restrain Kimbo while Phil Baroni restrained Rodgers. What happened? Is there any chance we will see Rodgers vs. Kimbo in the near future?
GS "Rogers started trash talking Kimbo, calling him garbage and everything in front of Kimbo. You just don't do that in front of Kimbo. It got ugly real quick. Robbie Lawler stepped in and helped keep them separated. Those two will get a chance to fight each other in the cage eventually."
411Mania There is a lot of concern that the EliteXC is protecting Kimbo Slice. I think there is only so much protection that can be offered in a fight. What is your response to this statement?
GS"That kind of stuff comes from the 23 blogging haters. The guy has had three fights in his career, not 20 fights. We aren't going to rush him into big matchups when the guy only has three fights. Those comments come from those bloggers. We had six million people watch the show. You don't have six million bloggers on your site. Kimbo is the number one most recognizable face in MMA and that is why they are hating on him. They are just jealous. The guy is the greatest striker in the world. "
Machida, Anderson to assist Nog on TUF 8
The team of Rodrigo Minotauro in reality show The Ultimate Fighter gained two reinforcements of weight to face the team of Frank Mir. Minota will have the aid of nobody little than the champion of the UFC, Anderson Silva, and Lyoto Machida, that took a walk for top of Tito Ortiz in UFC 84, in the training of its athletes. " It wanted to ask for excuses for the Loyal Combat, but I have contract with the UFC and I will not be able to go to evento" , Anderson said, that already is with Lyoto in the house where the program is recorded, to help Minotauro to earn plus this challenge.
The article was translated in bloodyelbow.com, on the fanshot section.
Thiago Alves Failes to make Weight
Thiago weighed in at 174lbs!! Whereas Hughes was 170lbs. Hughes accepted to fight at catch weight.
Bisping 184lbs - Day 184lbs
Don't know the rest.
UFC, Liddell headed to Atlanta in September
We heard from a few reliable sources about the Phillips Arena event, but at the time the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Zuffa hadn't even begun preliminary talks about bringing an event to the state.
Nevermind; UFC president Dana White recently told ESPN The Magazine that the organization is, in fact, heading to Atlanta -- and Chuck Liddell is headlining the event.
White told the magazine about the fight date and Liddell's involvement:
The fight is going to be in Atlanta, Georgia -- that's something we haven't said publicly yet. There's something no one else has heard.
Scott Smith-No Broken Foot, No Time Missed
Despite reports to the contrary following his fight against Robbie Lawler, Scott Smith has confirmed that he actually did not suffer a broken foot during the fight and will not miss any time as a result. With regards to the rematch, Smith said "September, October is what I'm told".
Affliction VP discusses Arlovski, Trump and future events
Although we are just days away from UFC 85, the media -- both MMA and mainstream -- have their sights set on an organization yet to hold their first event.
Affliction Entertainment made waves today at a New York City press conference by announcing a newly formed partnership with business-mogul extraordinaire Donald Trump, as well as the signing of ex-UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski.
Moments after the close of that press conference, Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio shared further details of the group's plans on TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
"It was phenomenal," Atencio said regarding the conference. "The press that was there, it was great."
The conference was hosted at Trump Tower by new partner and building owner Trump. Atencio said the benefit of having Trump on board was immediately evident.
"[Trump] is an equity partner," Atencio said. "What he brings to the table is mainstream. He's bringing it out, and I think more people are going to pay attention to it with his stamp of approval on it. He's got a great television show, and he's in the media all the time. So, absolutely, what he's bringing is more people to the table."
Kimbo Slice to Fight Brett Rogers in October
After Kimbo Slice defeated James Thompson in the first mixed martial arts show in prime time network television history, fellow heavyweight Brett Rogers took the podium at the post-fight press conference and called Slice's performance "garbage" and "unacceptable."
If that was Rogers' attempt to hype himself up as the next opponent for Kimbo, it worked. Slice appeared on Dan Le Batard's radio show today and said he'll fight Rogers next, "probably in October."
"They called me out, and now they got the fight," Slice said of Rogers and his camp.
Slice acknowledged that his aura took a bit of a hit with the way he struggled to defeat Thompson, but he insisted, "I was in shape. I was ready. I was ready for a battle."
Rematch Between Paulo Filho and Chael Sonnan Set For September 10
Paulo Filho and Chael Sonnen are finally set to rematch on September 10th. The two were originally scheduled to rematch on March 26th in order to settle a disputed Filho win at UEC 31 back in December.
In that fight, Sonnen appeared to be controlling the action well into the second round before Filho caught him in an armbar. Sonnen did not appear to tap, but yelled while the armbar was secured causing the referee to stop the fight via verbal submission. Sonnen disputed the stoppage and called immediately called for a rematch which was eventually granted for March 26th.
However, Filho was unable to make weight for the fight and was purported to be suffering from chemical dependency and depression according to his management, who declared Filho ready to fight now.
Dana White: Mind-blowing UFC announcement coming soon
“There’s something no one else has heard. You have no idea some of the stuff that we have planned. I’m going to make an announcement next week that is going to blow people’s minds. That deal is done, but my employees don’t even know yet. I’m renting out a place next Thursday and I’m going to tell them. Then we’ll make the announcement later that day. It’s an indicator of where this business is going over the next five years.”
EXCLUSIVE: Arlovski on UFC exit, Affliction entrance
It certainly has been a long time coming, but former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight champion Andre Arlovski has found a new home.
Thursday, after months of heated speculation, Affliction finally confirmed what many fans already expected – Arlovski had signed up with the upstart promotion for its inaugural card “Banned” on July 19 in Anaheim, Calif.
The “TBA” facing Ben Rothwell is now a “Pitbull.” It’s bittersweet news for the former champ.
“I am excited,” Arlovski told MMAWeekly.com. “Also, I have mixed feelings – sad about leaving UFC and excited about my future.”
Arlovski and his management are mum about the details of the negotiation that led him to leave the UFC, but its clear that the industry-leading promotion could not offer Arlovski the dollar sign he required.
“My management and I did what we had to do to work out a new deal with the UFC,” he said. “But we also had to test the market. At the end of the day it's a business.”
If he had his choice though, Arlovski would have stayed with the company that made him a star.
“It is always my choice,” he continued. “I just had to evaluate everything on the plate, listen to the opinions of my advisors and make the decision. At this time I felt that based on everything this decision would be better for me. There are a lot of things that go into consideration.”
Arlovski maintains that his relationship with his former employers remains strong, and that the possibility of a return to the Octagon is not out of the question.
Rob Kaman rips into UFC.
'Mr. Low - Kick' recently took some time to speak with PDG about his career, K-1, modern day mixed martial arts, training fighters and what the future holds for the former World Champion Kick-boxer.
Awsome interview with a true legend, he'll definetly touch Dana lovers nerve's but he know's what he's talking about and he was an incredible fighter.