Randleman Vs Barnett Possible For Sengoku 7
UFC and Pride veteran Kevin Randleman may face Josh Barnett at Sengoku 7 on January 4th, his team have told Fighters Only.
Having been forced onto the sidelines by various injuries in recent years, Randleman has recently stated that he intends to have as many fights as possible in 2009.
And rumour has it that one of those fights may be with Barnett in January, as Sengoku are struggling to match the Baby-Faced Assassin.
Speaking to Fighters Only earlier, a spokesman for Randleman said: “Kevin is going to focus on light-heavyweight for now.
“But I can see that Sengoku is having trouble getting opponents for Josh, so it is always a possibility.”
Randleman himself said: “After the last few years of setbacks due to injury I just want to fight. I am not picky and not one to turn down an opponent, so I am just looking forward to giving the fans some more great MMA memories to talk about.”
He added that he hopes to return to fighting in America in 2009, as he “cannot wait” to get back in a cage.
Wand: I May Get Title Shot If I Beat 'Rampage'
Wanderlei ‘The Axe Murderer’ Silva has hinted that he might be getting a title shot if he beats Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson in December, we can exclusively reveal.
Speaking to Fighters Only at the weekend, Silva said that he understands he will get a crack at the belt if he gets past the former champion.
The Jackson fight “is a very, very good opportunity for me for me to fight for the title,” he said. “I think after I beat Rampage, it may be possible I fight with the champion.”
However, he is quick to stress that he is not looking past Rampage, saying that fighting the former champion “is never easy”.
“He was a great champion... he is a tough guy. Very strong - good wrestling, good boxing.”
If Silva does get a title shot, he will face current belt-holder Forrest Griffin, who he trains with at Xtreme Couture.
In fact, the two spar regularly, but Silva says it would be all business should the two meet in the cage.
“I train and spar with Forrest, I am his best sparring partner and he is mine. It is sad situation, to train with some guys it is possible I will have to fight in the future, but it is no problem,” he explains.
“I am a professional and he is a professional. I like him, he is a very nice guy. Outside the Octagon, I am his friend, but inside the Octagon it is a business, a job.”
Spike Releases Fight For The Troops Card, Koscheck Still On, 3 Hour Event
Spike TV officially announced the UFC Fights For The Troops card for next month's special TV event, and questions about whether or not Josh Koscheck would still fight Yoshiyuki Yoshida on the card coming off his UFC 90 last-minute fight were answered: He will. The fight is still on.
Also, Spike announced the event will be a 3 hour broadcast and feature at least 5 televised fights.
Mike Pyle content to let others sing his praises
In compiling a list of top welterweights not cashing checks from the UFC, Mike Pyle has to be one of the first few names on the page.
The 31-year-old native of Tennessee has steadily risen up the ranks and even earned a crack at a belt, losing to EliteXC champion Jake Shields a year ago by rear-naked choke.
Since that bitter first-round defeat to Shields, Pyle has reeled off four straight victories and has lived up to his "Quicksand" moniker in the process. He's submitted each of his four opponents inside of 10 minutes, including a first-frame sub of Brian Gassaway last month at A Night of Combat II in Las Vegas.
Arona To Affliction ?
There are indications that Ricardo Arona, once considered a consensus top ten light heavyweight, could be on the verge of ending his extended hiatus from competitive mixed martial arts.
Arona has not competed since April 8, 2007, when he suffered an upset loss against Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou during PRIDE’s final show after being knocked out at just 1:59 of round 1.
Considered one of the best pure grapplers in MMA at 205 pounds, Arona is believed to be drawing interest from Affliction Entertainment.
According to a recent article at GracieMag.com, interim UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is quoted as saying that Affliction has sent out feelers for Arona.
Lyoto Machida and Thiago Silva fight talk
“I think the fight will be the synthesis of the modern MMA, will have everything: takedowns, striking and I think we’ll do everything that exists in MMA, and the fight might be a stand up one. I consider you a tough guy, but I think my technique is superior.”
Randy Couture Breaks Down Brock Lesnar
When Randy Couture finally returns to action on Saturday night fans at UFC 91 in Las Vegas are expected to give the UFC heavyweight champion one of the loudest ovations any fighter has ever felt before. But soon after the entrance, the business begins and standing across from Couture will be Brock Lesnar waiting to welcome the champion back to the Octagon.
The match-up with Lesnar is very interesting simply because the former WWE superstar currently holds a 2-1 professional record and hasn’t gone through many of the top contenders most would view he should fight before getting to Couture. But the champion understands why this fight was made and also compliments the fighters right underneath him hungry for a shot at the championship.
UK Fighter Looking For A Home
The U.K. has long been overlooked when it comes to top flight warriors in the lighter weight categories. As a nation we can lay claim to some of the top featherweights in Europe and Robbie “The Flame” Olivier is running right at the sharp end of the division.
Olivier has only dropped one bout at featherweight in two and a half years since becoming British Champion of the now defunct Cage Rage promotion; that match was a submission loss to kamikaze fighter Masakazu Imanari when he was granted the opportunity to challenge for the promotion’s world title. Olivier has kept himself busy facing all challengers at featherweight and even dabbling with the lightweight division against Abdul Mohammed – so where does he go now?
Audio of Lloyd Irvin's Chilling 911 Call (after those 2 robbers broke into his house)
In the wake of reporting that Lloyd Irvin, his family, Brandon Vera and others were robbed at gun point in Irvin's home on October 4th, the story was doubted publicly and privately by random forum posters, readers of this site and even members of new and traditional media. In an effort to combat the notion that either this site or Irvin himself fabricated a story - a story that's already been corroborated - Lloyd Irvin has decided to release the audio of the 911 call from the night of the incident as incontrovertible truth the incident occurred.
I encourage every to listen to the absolutely frightening call
Stevenson Earns BJJ Black Belt Before UFC 91 Fight
When Kenny Florian & Joe Stevenson face off at UFC 91 this Saturday, there now will be 2 BJJ black belts fighting instead of just one. Stevenson earned his black belt from world class grappler Robert Drysdale this past weekend in a ceremony that apparently was 13 years in the making.
MMA Agents Unify To Block Showtime Contract Auction
Some of the top agents in mixed martial arts, including Monte Cox, Ed Soares, Matt Stansell, Bob Cook, Chas Bowling and Cesar Gracie, are joining forces in an attempt to stop Showtime from going through with their upcoming auction of ProElite's assets, including fighter contracts.
The full statement can be viewed after the jump.
Carano-Cyborg Could Still Happen...But Where?
Gina Carano recently said that she still wants to fight Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos in early 2009, and reportedly both sides are even working together to make sure they both sign with the same promotion. The only question now is which promotion will wind up signing them?
Dos Santos Knocks Werdum Out of UFC
Following a rocky time in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, capped by a surprising knockout loss to Octagon newcomer Junior dos Santos at UFC 90, Chute Boxe fighter Fabricio Werdum has left the promotion.
Sources tell MMAWeekly.com that Werdum's exit comes on the heels of a failed contract renegotiation following the loss to dos Santos. The Brazilian came into the fight with the expectation that he would soon be contending for a heavyweight title shot.
The knockout at UFC 90 derailed anything of the like in the near future, and spurred a renegotiation of his contract. Werdum and the UFC were apparently unable to come to an agreement. He has already opened talks with other promotions in the U.S. and Japan.
After losing his opening salvo in the UFC to Andrei Arlovski, Werdum put together back-to-back impressive victories with TKOs of Gabriel Gonzaga and Brandon Vera, effectively positioning him as one of the top contenders in the promotion's heavyweight division.
Current champion Randy Couture faces Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 on Saturday and interim heavyweight titleholder Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira defends against Frank Mir on Dec. 27 at UFC 92. The winners of those two fights are expected to fight in early 2009, as a unification bout to the UFC mini-tournament.
Had Werdum taken care of business against dos Santos, he was expected to be in contention to face the unified heavyweight champion later in the year. Now it appears he will be moving on to another promotion such as Affliction in the U.S. or Dream or Sengoku in Japan.
Kenny Florian seeks truth in UFC 91 clash with Joe Stevenson
While the vast majority of the attention for "UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar" is being centered around the main event -- and rightfully so -- an important lightweight scrap between contenders Kenny Florian (10-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC) and Joe Stevenson (29-8 MMA, 6-2 UFC) will also grace the card.
And as Florian recently told TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), the bout is quickly developing some real emotion behind it.
"[Stevenson] said he's reading on the internet that everyone is saying that I'm the favorite," Florian said. "He doesn't understand why. He's just had some real odd comments. I don't know why he's upset, or why it's motivating him now. I don't have to read the internet to get motivated for a fight."
Despite 15-month layoff, Randy Couture says ring rust not a factor
When 45-year-old UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture (16-8 MMA, 13-5 UFC) steps into the cage on Saturday night against Brock Lesnar at "UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar," it will be the first action for "The Natural" in nearly 15 months.
Couture has faced layoffs of over a year twice before in his illustrious career -- and won his return fight both times. In a recent UFC 91 media conference call, Couture said to expect the same this time around.
"Everybody asks about ring rust and all that stuff," Couture said. "I don't think it's the same for a mixed martial artist as it is for boxing. Sparring in the gym -- the training we do -- it's just about as real as the fights. So I'm not worried about that at all."
As the head of Xtreme Couture, one of the biggest and most highly respected training camps in MMA, Couture believes his daily routines have kept him in fight-ready shape.
Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua to ’set the story straight’ against Mark Coleman at UFC 93
Well, I personally would never want to beat someone that way. I wouldn’t celebrate the win and wouldn’t go bragging about it, and that’s what Coleman did the whole time. I was really bothered by him celebrating the win in that way, and afterwards talking a lot of crap about me in interviews. I always respected all the fighters I’ve fought, since I know how hard it is to make it to the top of the list and just getting into the ring means you’re a winner, so they deserve respect. I respect Coleman as an athlete, the guy’s an MMA legend. I hope to have a good fight with him, I’m confident. God willing I’ll win…. In the category in which I fight there are only top guys, so I see about 10 guys I could fight. Coleman really is a guy I want to face, because of our last fight, but I wasn’t sure it would be him. This was good for both of us, we’ll be able to set the story straight.”
Kang Says ''Timing Was Right'' For UFC Move
Considered one of the top free agents in mixed martial arts just a week ago, Denis Kang signed on with the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Monday to become the latest top fighter to land with the biggest promotion in the sport today.
When the doors of Pride Fighting Championships closed, Kang was on the roster, but after the final contracts were moved and reassigned to the UFC, the American Top Team stand-out didn’t end up fighting in the Octagon, instead opting to stay and compete overseas.
Just over a year later, Kang is now finally a part of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and ready to stack up in the 185-pound division.
Sadollah Ready To Emerge
Amir Sadollah is set to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship at UFC 91 in Las Vegas, after a close to a five-month layoff. This fight will be his first since winning The Ultimate Fighter finale over CB Dollaway.
Sadollah came into The Ultimate Fighter an unknown. He was a fairly green fighter after having only a 4-0 amateur record prior to getting on the show. Sadollah quickly impressed Forrest Griffin, his assigned coach, during the show submitting Steve Bynes, TKOing Gerald Harris and submitting highly regarded Matt Brown.
Many thought that his next fight against Dollaway would be a quick and easy win for his competitor, but out of nowhere, Sadollah locked on an armbar. Now, an almost “Rocky” underdog, he was going into the finals against Jesse Taylor. However, Taylor got into some antics after the show wrapped, which forced UFC president Dana White to take him out of the finale. Dollaway came back to fight in the finale against Sadollah and get his redemption. However, Sadollah had other plans as he again submitted Dollaway via armbar.
Not fighting for five months affects some fighters, but Sadollah feels it was good to get some time off.