The UFC Should Consider Re-Signing Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski
I know, I know. That headline made a few of you gag. But why don't we start with a comment by Kid Nate yesterday:
They should re-sign Sylvia and/or Arlovski...
I’m serious. You know those guys are a lot more affordable than they were just a few months ago.
AND they’re good enough to be a test for any heavyweight — any heavyweight without one punch KO power that is!
This makes a LOT of sense honestly. Right now both guys have no bargining power so the UFC could go into negotiations by saying "THIS is the deal we're offering. We're not going to have any back-and-forth. If you're not willing to take it we're done here" and just offer a small deal with some significant incentives for winning fights.
Friday's Strikeforce Women's Fight To Be 5 Minute Rounds
While it doesn't necessarily represent a change to policy regarding women's fights in the promotion, Strikeforce has announced that Friday's women's fight between Shayna Baszler and Sarah Kaufman will be 5-minute rounds. The change was quickly approved by the Washington State Athletic Commission following California allowing 5-minute rounds for Gina Carano vs. Cristiane Santos in August.
Heavyweights Jessie Gibbs vs. Rob Broughton added to "Affliction: Trilogy" preliminary card
A heavyweight bout between M-1 fighters Jessie Gibbs (7-2) and Rob Broughton (10-4-1) has been added to the "Affliction: Trilogy" preliminary card.
M-1 Global officials today announced the bout.
"Affliction: Trilogy" takes place Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. The main card, featuring a headliner of Fedor Emelianenko vs. Josh Barnett, airs on pay-per-view, and the night's preliminary card airs on HDNet.
Gibbs, a member of Team Benelux in M-1 Challenge, is 5-2 in M-1 events. He enters the Affliction show with six wins (five via stoppage) in his past seven fights. Gibbs most recently competed in May when he defeated MMA newcomer Nikola Dipchkov with a 97-second submission due to strikes. Gibbs' only two career losses have come to notables Aleksander Emelianenko and Alexey Oleinik.
Paul Buentello on Tim Sylvia Loss: 'I Wish He Never Took the Fight'
Lost in the aftermath of Tim Sylvia's shocking 10-second knockout loss to Ray Mercer on Saturday night is how it may drastically affected Paul Buentello's summer plans. "The Headhunter" was scheduled to face Sylvia at "Affliction: Trilogy" on August, but is now unsure as to whether or not that fight will happen.
FanHouse spoke to Buentello on Sunday about his thoughts on Sylvia's loss and why he may now have to wait a little longer to face the former UFC heavyweight champion.
SWICK READY TO MAKE A MOVE; MATT HUGHES NEXT?
Mike "Quick" Swick has been nothing short of perfect since moving from middleweight down to the crowded UFC welterweight division. He has gone 4-0 in the Octagon at 170 pounds, including Saturday night's UFC 99 dismantling of the previously undefeated Ben Saunders.
Aside from Saunders, Swick's hit list includes Josh Burkman, Jonathan Goulet, and Brandon Wolff. All of them solid opposition, but none more highly regarded than Swick himself.
That is about to change.
"This is my tenth fight in the UFC, I'm 9-1. I want to fight for the title," he stated in the Octagon after his second round TKO victory. "I want to fight top guys, Matt Hughes, Georges St. Pierre, Thiago Alves."
FRANKLIN REFLECTS ON FIGHT, SILVA'S 185 FUTURE
Rich Franklin prepared to play the hit-and-run game with Wanderlei Silva at UFC 99.
The former UFC middleweight champion said footwork was a key factor in avoiding the machine gun bursts of punches Silva is known for.
“We just decided that we were going to use a lot of footwork as much as we could and try to move around,” said Franklin following the fight. “The thing about Wanderlei is that he comes forward, and once his arms get started moving, he’s explosive and he’s dangerous.”
Silva did not look as explosive and dangerous against Franklin as in previous outings. It was rumored he had to make a 12-pound cut the day prior to make the 195-pound weight limit, and his energy seemed to wane in the middle of the fight. But his punching power had not left him.
Matt Hamill and Frankie Edgar host July 11 UFC 100 viewing party in New York City
The hoopla around July's historic UFC 100 event will now include a viewing party at the world-famous Radio City Music Hall in New York City, the UFC today announced.
A high-definition closed-circuit feed of the July 11 event, available on the venue's 70-foot-by-35-foot screen, is available for just $25 beginning today. (The price increases to $30 after July 3.)
UFC fighters Matt Hamill and Frankie Edgar will host the UFC 100 Viewing Party and be part an autograph signing (limited to the first 200 fans in attendance) and Q&A session.
Cain Proves Able To Become Champion After 99 Win
Cain Velasquez will someday, and soon, be the UFC Heavyweight Champion. The former All-American wrestler at Arizona State wasn't as sharp as he has been and, most importantly, as he will be. But Velasquez has more weapons than just about anyone in the division and most of them were on display Saturday. It's simply a matter of time before UFC president Dana White climbs into the cage and is strapping the belt around his waist.
UFC promises October return to U.K., Canada on track for two events in 2010
As the UFC's global expansion continues to gain steam, UFC president Dana White recently promised European fans that an October return to the U.K. was a certainty.
White made the statement in response to a fan's question at Friday's UFC Fan Club Q&A session in Cologne, Germany.
The announcement of the date could mean two additional events in the U.K. before the end of the year as the organization is already rumored to be visiting the U.K. on Nov. 14.
Sacrificing the Young
At UFC 99, I watched a worthwhile prospect in Ben Saunders outmatched in a pointless bout designed to trick and fool spectators. I watched a great prospect in Cain Velasquez diligently work on his craft in the cage, but with a sense of finitude for that luxury. Needless to say, I was a sad purist panda.
As verbose as I am, I'd like to write a 4000-word tome on all the inane ideas people have about developing prospects in MMA. However, because my editors think you're all ADHD-addled adolescents whose brains melt after 1200 words, I can't. So, let us stick to the more specific and pointed question of whether or not it's feasible for Zuffa to allow blue chippers to blossom in the UFC.
I've already dedicated radio hours and column inches to the fact that as a sport, MMA maims, rapes and kills its young. However, prospect development is an extremely foxy issue for Zuffa specifically. Because regional MMA is still a work in progress, prospects who can draw a major audience as a local star -- like Eddie Alvarez in his early career -- are few and far in between, and limited by the lack of stalwart promoters. Therefore, it's often attractive for sterling young fighters and their managers to get them big show deals, because it represents not only adequate purses but also a level of competition that can foster their development -- or, of course, completely railroad them.
However, the design for the UFC (or WEC for that matter) is at odds with the true development of prospects because the entire business is built around funneling fighters toward the top to fight for titles. Fans are already debating how Velasquez fares against elite heavyweights. Worse for fighters, it's often in Zuffa's interest to risk pushing prospects quickly in the off-chance they're able to develop like as B.J. Penn, Georges St. Pierre or Brock Lesnar, which gives the promotion another star.
This structure exists only to support itself. It holds any average prospect to an unrealistic standard: We all acknowledge that Penn, St. Pierre, Lesnar and others like them are freakish anomalies and that their ability to adapt to the sport is virtually without parallel. How then can this be the standard? How can we expect any 5-0 kid out of the Midwest with some game to do exactly as Penn, St. Pierre or Lesnar have done? Imagine taking a test on which your professional livelihood hinged, and because a select group of brilliant individuals had previously tested so well, the passing mark was now a 95.
Some fighters -- notably Roger Huerta -- have gotten the proper treatment as developing fighters. However, these instances are the exception rather than the rule, and worse, it tends to be the up-and-comers who’ve shown flashes of brilliance that get victimized.
The most bizarre truth about prospects developing within the UFC is that early mediocrity is a blessing in disguise. If you impress fans and the brass from jump street, you're going to get fast-tracked, and likely to your detriment. If you can manage to win as sterilely as possible, you'll actually get to face a greater number of opponents, different stylistic tests and you'll evolve into a better fighter because of it. (cont'd)
He's possibly is still with the ufc
i havent signed for the ufc or dream.
i dont get why dana white listened for roumor instead talking to me first. but whatever, i am still greatfull for the opportunity.+
basicly, mirko is suprised by dana white reaction.
there u go people.
Im not sure how reliable this is. i just hope its true.
Link 2 if link 1 is not working
P.S. link 2 is better
UFC Quick Quote: Wanderlei Silva wants a rematch with Rich Franklin after ‘unbelievable’ show
The show was incredible. It’s amazing, It’s unbelievable. It’s our first show here and sold out. A lot of people. It was incredible man. This crowd, I don’t know how many people standing … The ground started to shake. It’s unbelievable … Please, I want a rematch. I know it’s the judges opinion, but I’m thinking I won. It was fight of the night. I want a rematch.”
UFC 99 headliner Wanderlei Silva sounds off after his thrilling back-and-forth three round war with Rich Franklin at “The Comeback” from the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany on June 13. “The Axe Murderer” came up on the losing end of a razor-thin unanimous decision to “Ace,” who was buckled in the second round by the former PRIDE smashing machine — who once again leaves it all in the cage. The fans were certainly grateful for another gritty performance, but was the losing effort enough to warrant a possible rematch? Opinions, please.
Marcus Davis protests Hardy decision: "I won the fight"
Marcus Davis is furious with the judge's decision in his fight with Dan 'The Outlaw' Hardy at UFC 99 earlier.
Speaking minutes after judges gave a split-decision win to Dan Hardy, an angry Davis repeatedly stated: "I won the fight."
"I won 12 minutes of the fight and they gave it him? You can bet your ass I want a rematch, right away. Let's do it in Ireland or Boston. He landed one elbow which cut me and they judge the whole fight on that?" he fumed.
Al-Turk to appeal against CroCop result
Mostapha Al-Turk's management say they will be launching an appeal against the result of their client's fight with Mirko 'CroCop' Filipovic.
At-Turk was stopped halfway through the opening round after covering his face with both hands and turning away following a straight shot from Filipovic.
A video replay showed that Al-Turk had been poked hard in the eye by Filipovic, who had thrown his hand forward with fingers extended.
Cro Cop makes vague comment on Dream signing
"It's 94% certain that I will fight for the Japanese."
"The night of his triumphant return to the octagon, Mirko Filipovic signed a new contract with the Japanese Dream. The world media reports using words such as "betrayed, disappointed, played".
After he defeated Al Turk, the Croatian fighter signed a deal with the Japanese for three fights, even though it was expected of him to do so with the UFC.
Mirko Filipovic commented on the situation briefly at the Zagreb airport:
- It's 94% certain that I will fight for the Japanese.
Mirko said before how the offers from the UFC don't suit him as he's getting old and he wants to fight as much as he possibly can. This is exactly what Dream is offering him as by the end of the year he would get to fight three times in Japan."
UFC 99 - Results/Fighter Bonuses/Attendance & Gate Figures/Post-Fight Videos
UFC 99 Results:
Rich Franklin defeats Wanderlei Silva via Unanimous Decision
Cain Velasquez defeats Chiek Kongo via Unanimous Decision
Mike Swick defeats Ben Saunders via TKO (Strikes) R2
Mirko Filipovic defeats Mustapha Al-Turk via TKO (Strikes) R1
Spencer Fisher defeats Caol Uno via unanimous decision
Dan Hardy defeats Marcus Davis via split decision
Terry Etim defeats Justin Buccholz via submission (D’arce choke) R2
Denis Siver defeats Dale Hartt via submission (rear-naked choke) R1
Paul Taylor defeats Peter Sobotta via unanimous decision
Paul Kelly defeats Roli Delgado via unanimous decision
Stefan Struve defeats Denis Stojnic via submission (rear naked choke) 2:37 R2
John Hathaway defeats Rick Story via unanimous decision
Here are the special fight bonuses for UFC 99:
Fight of the Night — Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva
Knockout of the Night — Mike Swick
Submission of the Night – Terry Etim
Each fighter received $60,000 extra for their performances in addition to their respective base salaries, which we will more than likely never see because the event was held overseas.
UFC officials have reported "UFC 99: The Comeback" netted 12,800 spectators and a $1.3 million live gate.
UFC officials issued the initial reports at Saturday's post-event press conference.
(7 videos - Includes Lorenzo, Dana, Hardy, Kelly, Arianny
REPORT: CRO COP SNUBS UFC FOR DREAM
It appears Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic’s desire to make a run at the UFC heavyweight title was nothing more than a smokescreen.
Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports reported Saturday afternoon that the Croatian star signed a three-fight deal with Dream, reneging on a promise made to UFC president Dana White to finalize a contract for two more fights in the Octagon.