Kimbo Slice unconcerned by Ken Shamrock’s ground experience
If only one man is standing when the bout ends between Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson and Ken Shamrock, it's a good bet it will be Slice.
While critics have been quick to discount Slice's development as an all-around mixed martial artist, there's no denying that, on his feet, Slice has the ability and the power to knock out whomever is in front of him. And when all the pre-fight picks are in ahead of the Slice versus Shamrock main event match-up on EliteXC CBS Saturday Night Fights on Oct. 4, the consensus will undoubtedly be Slice by KO.
Conventional fight wisdom suggests that the only avenue for victory for Shamrock goes through a submission. The 44-year-old UFC Hall-of-Fame fighter hasn't stopped an opponent with strikes in more than eight years and has looked less and less at home in stand-up mode with each passing round. For Shamrock, the equalizer in the fight will be getting Slice horizontal, a position in which James Thompson was very effective against Slice back in May.
The Bas Rutten-trained fighter was out of his element while pinned on his back, up against the cage against Thompson. It showed a vulnerability that hadn't been exposed in his first two fights, but Slice prefers to look at the upside of overcoming that poor second round.
Sengoku 5 - Results & Review
Former NCAA champ Muhammad Lawal makes a statement with upset over Travis Wiuff at Sengoku
A new mixed martial arts star may have been born Saturday night in Tokyo, Japan during World Victory Road’s Sengoku 5 at the National Yoyogi Stadium. Replacing an injured Roger Gracie against former PRIDE and UFC veteran Travis “Diesel” Wiuff on less than a week’s notice, former NCAA Division II freestyle wrestling champion Muhammad “Mo” Lawal pulled off a dramatic upset win over Wiuff following a first round TKO.
Training out of Team Quest in Temecula, Calif. on a part-time basis the past year, Lawal had been splitting his time between preparing for his MMA debut while also working out at the U.S. Olympic training center in Colorado Springs, Colo. in an attempt to qualify for the Beijing Olympics in the 84 kilogram weight class.
Thiago Tavares back at UFC 93
After doing a great fight against Kurt Pellegrino at UFC 88, getting the fight of the night bonus, but being defeated by unanimous decision, Thiago Tavares already knows when he’ll be back to the octagon. Eyeing a victory in the octagon, sources had confirmed that the Minotauro Team fighter will be on the UFC 93 card, that happens at MGM Grand Arena, at Las Vegas, USA, at January 31st. As we reported earlier, the same event will put Lyoto Machida to face Thiago Silva, on the rescheduled fight from UFC 89.
BRIAN STANN TO TEAM JACKSON FOR UFC DEBUT
As Brian Stann readies himself for a move from the WEC to the UFC starting with a Dec. 10 UFC Fights for the Troops showdown against old foe Steve Cantwell, the former Marine will prepare for the bout with Greg Jackson and his team in New Mexico.
The fight between Stann and Cantwell will be the third in a series of fights that has seen each of them pick up a TKO victory.
Following a disappointing performance in his last fight, Stann had a conversation with Greg Jackson that convinced him the team in New Mexico was the best place for him to continue to learn and prepare for future fights.
“I met Greg here in Atlanta and we really just hit it off right off the bat. He was just really excited about the possibilities of training me and I think for any fighter that makes you excited,” Stann said in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com. “For me that was just flattering and motivational at the same time. So I went down there and I was down there for a while and I just really gelled. There’s no egos. It’s just a lot of good guys that are helping each other to our common goals, and I really, really liked it.”
UFC 93 In Ireland, January 2009
Antonio Mendes has told TATAME that he will be back in action in January 2009.
The Europe Top Team athlete, who fought seven times in 2007 and won all of those bouts, will fight on January 17th in Dublin, Ireland, and might face another Brazilian fighter Andre Gusmao. Rich Franklin is also rumoured to be fighting on this card.
This is the first i've heard of a UK event in 2009 and with 'Super Bowl Weekend' being billed as UFC 93 maybe this could be a 'Fight Night' ?
EDIT: With 'Fights for the Troops' and the TUF8 Finale both being held in December, january is probably too soon to have another 'Fight Night' so i'm thinking this will be UFC 93 and 'GSP Vs Penn' will become UFC 94
Any thoughts ?
Benji Radach completes comeback to the big time at "EliteXC: Heat"
Twenty-eight months is a long time to think about what could have been.
But that's exactly what American Top Team's Benji Radach (18-4) did after a 2004 loss to Chris Leben.
"A lot of it was just sitting around all that time wanting to get back to [MMA]," Radach recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I was real hungry the whole time. I was injured -- one surgery after another. It was such a down period of time."
After suffering just one defeat in his first 15 bouts, including three appearances for the UFC, Radach dropped two straight fights and fell into obscurity. But the 29-year-old said he never lost faith his day would come again.
"I knew that I'd come out on top at some point," Radach said. "Things started clearing up for me. I went out to American Top Team and started training full time out there. Thanks to Dan Lambert and Ricardo Liborio I got back on my feet."
The Growing Wave of Females in MMA
Julie Kedzie's nose bleeds again, and her hair's a mess. Wisps of it have come free from her tight cornrows. She works hard to catch her breath.
Still, the professional mixed martial arts fighter beams like a cheerleader at the top of the pyramid. It's a clear case of "You should see the other guy."
The referee has called a stop to Kedzie's fight with Julia Berezekova at the Ice Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia. The packed venue erupts as Kedzie raises her arms in victory.
And so begins an article by my friend, Susan Brackney (non-pdf version here). I point the article out because not only is this a focus piece on women's MMA, but it can be found in an issue of Indianapolis Woman.
Sadollah vs Catone at UFC 91 confirmed
On November 15th, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, his saga continues as he returns to the Octagon to take on unbeaten newcomer Nick Catone on the televised portion of UFC 91: Couture vs Lesnar.
FEG: Dream Promotion going nowhere
Fighting and Entertainment Group remains resolute that its Dream promotion is in the mixed martial arts business to stay, despite rampant speculation to the contrary following dismal television ratings for Dream 6 on Tuesday in Japan.
Rampage vs Wanderlei at UFC 92 not UFC 93
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson (28-7) and former Pride FC middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva (32-8-1) will collide at UFC 92 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on December 27.
The blockbuster light heavyweight match up was first discussed for the UFC 91: “Couture vs. Lesnar” show on November 15 and then the UFC 93 Super Bowl weekend event on January 31. Those dates did not work out, however, and the bout is now slated to enhance the New Year’s Eve weekend mixed martial arts bonanza.
Ninja ready to ‘heat’ Radach in EliteXC
After a great knockout against Tony Bonello in June, Murilo “Ninja” Rua now prepares himself to face another challenge, what might give him a title shot with another impressive victory. “My preparation to face Benji Radach is very good, like always, and I’m working my stand up game and MMA with Carioca and Mauricio Veio for this fight. Benji is a good Boxing and Wrestling fighter, so I’m preparing myself on theses parts too”, said Rua, that faces Radach in October 4th event.
Doing his debut on Saturday Night Fight’s live CBS transmission, Murilo gets even more motivated to do a great show and impress the American fans. “I’ll go after the knockout all the time, and the quickest I can. I wanna do the fight of my life and enjoy the public, and I’m happy with this new opportunity”, told Rua, who may get a title show if he defeats Benji. “I think I’ll get a title show if I win this fight, it’s almost set”, revealed. One of the most expected fights is this event is Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos’ second fight in the event, after a “double” knockout in her first fight at Elite, and Ninja bets on his former team partner.
Baroni Decisions Alfonso at PFC 10
Phil Baroni extended his undefeated streak in the welterweight division Friday night, winning an unanimous decision over former WEC mainstay Olaf Alfonso at Palace Fighting Championship’s “Explosive” event at the Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino in Lemoore, California.
Baroni overcame a tough first round in which he suffered a cut under his left eye to control Alfonso over the next two rounds. He used crisp combinations in timely takedowns to keep Alfonso off-balance and hand him his first loss of the year.
The event also featured three separate championship bouts: Bryan Travers defeated Jeremiah Metcalf via unanimous decision to claim the vacant PFC welterweight title, Shawn Klarcyk submitted Brandon Miller to retain his PFC bantamweight crown and Brian Cobb coasted to an easy decision win over David Gardner to remain the PFC’s lightweight champion.
Kickboxing legend Rick Roufus looking towards MMA title, "Night of Combat"
When NBA legend Michael Jordan stepped away from basketball in the prime of his career to pursue a job in baseball, many questioned his sanity. But for Jordan, failure wouldn't result in broken limbs or concussions.
But at 41-years-old, six-time kickboxing world champion -- and former WBC boxing champion -- Rick Roufus is seven months into his search for an MMA light-heavyweight title. Roufus recently told MMAjunkie.com he's enjoying the challenge.
"It's a new challenge to me," Roufus said. "I'm going to be the only guy to go from American kickboxing to boxing to Thai boxing and to MMA, winning titles in all of them."
FRANK MIR TALKS TUF AND TITLE FIGHT
In a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com, Frank Mir reflected on his experiences with the eighth season of “The Ultimate Fighter” and moving forward to face Antonio Rogrido Nogueira at UFC 92 on Dec. 27 at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino.
Mir says he's found the right training chemistry for his fight with the former Pride champion. Before moving to Striking Unlimited with Ken Hahn—now Mir’s assistant coach on the show—Mir found himself dominating his training partners in the gym. His schedule was rigid and unvaried. Though it stroked his ego to blow through the weekend warriors and two pro fighters there, it was giving him a false sense of security, and ultimately, hurting his ability to persevere in later rounds.
“Wrong mindset,” he said. Mir's 2006 UFC performances many to question his heart, and forced him to take a good look at how he was preparing himself for battle. Hahn now emphasizes wearing Mir down with a steady stream of fresh sparring partners at the new gym, some of which are from the reality show. He may dominate initially, but after a while, he gets humbled.
“There’s been a couple of times towards the end where, on video, if you just watched it and that was by itself, you didn’t know I had sparred a lot before that, you’d be like, ‘damn, dude, you suck,’” he said.
Ivan Serati, UFC debut December
It's becoming apparent that the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has its sights set firmly on European expansion and that the talent pool on the continent is being harvested for resources. One of the key signings outside of the ubiquitous British talent pool comes from Milan, Italy in the shape of Ivan "Il Terrible" Serati - a monster of a man at 205 pounds and one of the toughest wrestlers this side of the Atlantic.
"The biggest difference this will make to Ivan (Serati) is that he will now be able to train full-time for fights,” Serati’s manager, Alex Burzotta told MMAWeekly.com. “It's something he hasn't had the pleasure of up until now, so his evolution as a fighter will continue, but at a much greater pace than we have witnessed so far.”
Serati had been working as a doorman for several years, but became weary of being continually challenged by troublemakers looking to prove themselves in the street. He turned it all in and paid for his license as a Taxi driver in Milan about 18 months ago and aside from a few people arguing about airport run fares, life has been filled with people recognizing his persona as a fighter, especially after his bout with Vitor Belfort.
Robbie Lawler versus Joey Villasenor set for Nov. 8 EliteXC
The long-rumored rematch between EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and challenger Joe Villasenor will indeed take place on the Nov. 8 broadcast of EliteXC on Showtime.
The organization made the announcement in a preview of upcoming events during Friday night's ShoXC event.
EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw had hinted at the possibility of the bout to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), but the official word had not been released before tonight.
Melvin Manhoef has retired!!!!!
Melvin Manhoef has retired following his semi-final loss to Gegard Mousasi in the DREAM middleweight GP earlier this week.
His team - Mike's Gym, headed by Mike Passandier - made the announcement earlier this evening, according to German-language site Ground and Pound.de