Mousasi Gives Up DREAM Title, Mayhem vs. Souza Possible For Title
According to the TATAME website, DREAM Middleweight Champion Gegard Mousasi has vacated the title to move up to Light Heavyweight. A determination fight has apparently been made for DREAM 9 to crown a new champion, and it could be Ronaldo Souza vs. Jason Miller. But it likely depends on how Miller comes out of his fight this weekend against Kala Kolohe Hose.
Mirko Cro Cop: Stop Giving Me Advice On When To Quit!
It would seem that all the people saying Mirko Cro Cop should quit or retire from MMA are really getting to him. He is now telling people to stop giving him advice on when he should quit fighting, and also believes his latest comeback will happen at DREAM 9 on May 26.
- ABU DHABI PRINCE EXPANDING CHINA'S ART OF WAR
Under the Patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates, the Art of War Fighting Championship 12 “Invincible” returns to Beijing on May 23 at the National Olympic Sports Center Auditorium.
Vera vs. Hamill At UFC 102, Not 101
Although it was originally planned for UFC 101, it now appears that the planned fight between Brandon Vera and Matt Hamill will instead happen at UFC 102. The fight is being finalized for the August 29 event.
Tito and Babalu "had to be seperated" at Strikeforce
Tito Ortiz (pictured) and Renato ‘Babalu’ Sobral reportedly had to be restrained from attacking each other at last night’s Strikeforce event in California.
Babalu’s name was announced to the crowd at one point, prompting the Brazilian to turn to Ortiz and make an obscene gesture.
Moments later security staff had to move in and separate the pair before the altercation could turn physical, according to MMA News.com
Werdum calls out Alistair Overeem
Fabricio Werdum says he has signed a three-fight deal with Strikeforce and wants the organisation’s heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem as his first opponent.
“I want to fight Alistair and I am hoping that the fight can be made in June,” he said in a video interview with Sherdog.
UFC 104 - Quinton “Rampage” Jackson set to return to action
Quinton “Rampage” Jackson could return to action in October, possibly in his home town of Memphis, Tennessee.
Sources close to the Wolfslair Academy trained fighter revealed the news to MMABay earlier on today although the planning of the event is still in the early stages and a date is not yet known.
Dodging bullets and prison visits keep Houston Alexander focused for UFC 98
After opening his UFC career with two first-round TKO wins, Alexander has now dropped three-straight contests. But despite the struggles, "The Assassin" recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he's not worried about losing his place in the UFC.
"I'm not feeling any pressure at all," Alexander said. "When you have children, the only pressure you feel is taking care of your kids. As far as the world, or pleasing anybody else, I don't feel any pressure from that."
It's not that Alexander isn't working to turn his situation around. In fact, the Nebraska native is focused on doing exactly that when he daces Andre Gusmao (5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at UFC 98 in May.
"I've kind of stepped up a little bit," Alexander said. "We've been going to different camps and dealing with different bodies and different individuals. It's been working out really good."
Ed Herman: It’s win or get cut at UFC 97
“I think this is going to be a really exciting fight. Hopefully it’s Fight of the Night or Ass Whooping of the Night. I’m looking to finish him as fast as I can…I’ve lost two in a row and if I lose another fight, the UFC will probably cut me so I’m trying to keep my job. It’s rough times. It’s a bad economy, so I gotta keep my damn job so I can keep living. I respect Loiseau, but on the 18th, I’m going in there to beat his ass.”
– Ed Herman — middleweight finalist on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 3 — talks about his upcoming fight with hometown favorite David Loiseau at UFC 97 from The Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on April 18. “Short Fuse” is looking to rebound from back-to-back losses and prevent himself from being a victim of a contractual “Spring Cleaning.” That might not be so easy against “The Crow,” who also is fighting to remain on the UFC roster. The former middleweight contender was invited back to the Octagon after putting together a solid 4-2 record outside of the promotion. Loser leaves town? Perhaps not if they can pull off fight of the night. What say you?
WEC Considering Future Show In Ohio
While no specific dates were mentioned, WEC has an interest in running future shows in Ohio. What seems to work in Ohio's favor is they typically provide WEC events with strong ratings when they air on Versus.
Sengoku 8: Wiuff vs. Nedkov Added
Various sites are reporting that Travis Wiuff, best known as the former Yamma champion, has been added to World Victory Road Sengoku 8 and will face Bulgarian BJJ black belt Stanislav Nedkov. There are rumors this could be to crown a Light Heavyweight Champion but those have not been confirmed.
Notebook: Diaz Calls Cung Le Incomplete
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- At just 25 years old, Nick Diaz has been a pro for seven years. He has battled bigger opponents regularly and won fans even in defeat. But there was no question who the better fighter was Saturday, with Frank Shamrock getting a potent dose of Diaz at his best in the main event of Strikeforce’s Showtime-televised card at the HP Pavilion.
Diaz outlanded Shamrock 129 to 42, cleverly working his range while peppering his foe with a mix of stiff punches and the occasional kick mixed in.
Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum is "a direction" for Strikeforce future
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Following Saturday night's "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., the organization began to create buzz for future events by tossing around a few potential bouts.
One potential matchup discussed at the evening's post-event press conference that created immediate buzz was the return of Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem (29-11) against UFC and PRIDE veteran Fabricio Werdum (11-4-1).
While Werdum wasn't announced as an official signing, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker suggested the bout was a strong possibility.
Overeem has fought twice for Strikeforce, defeating Vitor Belfort in 2006 as well as earning the organization's first heavyweight title by beating Paul Buentello in November 2007. The Dutch striker has yet to defend the title but has suggested in recent interviews he's intending to do so in June.
Officials: "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" draws 15,211 for $750K gate
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The new-look Strikeforce drew what was deemed by arena officials as a "near sell-out" crowd to Saturday night's "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" event.
Headlined by Northern California fighters Nick Diaz and Frank Shamrock, Strikeforce drew 15,211 spectators to the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.
While official numbers from the California State Athletic Commission have not yet been certified, Strikeforce executives told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the collected gate was approximately $750,000.
Before Saturday night's event, Strikeforce's most recent show was held in November 2008, also at the HP Pavilion. Headlined by a light-heavyweight championship bout between then-title-holder Bobby Southworth and current champ Renato "Babalu" Sobral, "Strikeforce: Destruction" was attended by just 8,152 spectators for a certified gate of $321,520.
Kevin Randleman signs with Strikeforce, to debut "right away"
SAN JOSE, Calif. - While light-heavyweight free agent Tito Ortiz garnered the most attention outside the cage at Saturday night's "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz," it was another UFC veteran that left the event a Strikeforce employee.
Twelve-plus-year-veteran Kevin Randleman (17-12) was announced as the latest signing for Strikeforce at the post-event press conference at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.
"Thank you very much for the opportunity to come back and show everybody that I'm not done yet," Randleman said. "Far from it."
Specifics of the contract were not announced, but Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said he hopes to have Randleman fight right away.
"We have an announcement soon, so you'll have to wait until next week," Coker said. "But we're going to try and put him in the rotation right away. There's going to be some great fights in the future for Kevin, and we're excited."
Carano vs. "Cyborg" Strikeforce title bout targeted for August
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The female superfight that ProElite built but never promoted may happen as soon as August.
At Saturday night's "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" post-event press conference, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said he hopes to arrange a bout between former EliteXC stars Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (7-1) and Gina Carano (7-0) by that date.
And when the two finally step into the cage, it will be for the organization's first female title.
"That's going to be the No. 1 and the No. 2 female fighting in the world," Coker said. "It will be our first Strikeforce female title belt. We're going to be proud to put that on, and hopefully we can put that on in August.
"That's our date we're shooting for, and pending some discussion with either fighter it could go further. But at some point we will have this fight. I feel very confident."
Benji Radach shatters right hand in Strikeforce loss to Scott Smith
SAN JOSE, Calif – "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" main-card fighter Benji Radach shattered his right hand and was sent to the hospital following his Showtime-televised loss to Scott Smith on Saturday.
His agent, Ken Pavia, told MMAjunkie.com after the fight that Radach will likely undergo surgery overnight.
Smith, on the brink of defeat, rebounded and defeated Radach with a stunning third-round TKO in their middleweight match-up at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.