MMAWEEKLY World MMA Rankings Updated
The latest MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings were released on Wednesday, April 23. This system ranks the Top 10 MMA fighters from all across the world in each of the six most widely accepted weight classes, as voted on by MMAWeekly.
H.I.T. Squad’s Jacob Hey pushing for Olympic bid
UFC legend Matt Hughes' new training team, H.I.T. Squad, has recently recruited several up-and-coming fighters to groom for the big time. One of its brightest pupils, Air Force Staff Sgt. Jacob Hey (4-1), is not only focusing on MMA, but also attempting to qualify for the 2008 U.S. Olympic team for Greco-Roman wrestling.
McCullough Lends a Hand in the Friendly Skies
Showing the quick thinking and rapid-fire reflexes that made him a world bantamweight boxing champion, UFC public relations associate Wayne McCullough helped avert a tragedy Sunday when he jumped into action to help a fellow passenger who had lost consciousness on the flight ‘The Pocket Rocket’ was on.
Trigg don’t confirm fight against Jacaré
Although the confirmation by DREAM, that Ronaldo Jacaré vs. Frank Trigg was confirmed at the first round of the Middleweight GP of the event, the American says the opposite. "I haven't heard anything from DREAM in about a week and a half. We started talking about a month ago, but lately, there's been no communication. I really haven't even thought about it lately, said him to MMAJunkie.com.
The article says too that Trigg neither has a visa to go to Japan and that his wife can be one delay to DREAM plans. “My wife is very pregnant and can't fly. “She'd miss the whole tournament, and that's a big deal for to take a fight without her there by my side", said Frank Trigg.:
little blurb on the upcoming event
and i didn't make the title...it was written like that. so back off haters.
MMA Submission: The MMA/College Wrestling Pipeline
Check out about 30 seconds of any Phil Davis match , and it's obvious why the kid is college wrestling's latest hot MMA prospect. He's a four-time All-American who just won his first national title as a senior. The Penn Stater is an athletic freak, with gi-enormous arms and surprising power for his lanky 197-pound frame. Throw in plenty of personality (he swears he's a sewing addict) and it's obvious why Team Takedown, a year-old organization that "hires" former wrestlers and pays them a salary and living expenses, is after Davis hard. "He's probably our No. 1 target," says TT founder Ted Ehrhardt. "He could be a really good one."
Davis may be the top target, but he's not the only one. Here are two more prospects, according to an informal poll of college wrestling coaches, MMA trainers and fighters with a wrestling background.
J.D. Bergman, Ohio State: He just lost in the NCAA finals. But he's a long, lean heavyweight who moves well for a big guy. Here's a clip of him defeating Davis last year at 197 pounds . Plus, if you saw the NCAA championships this year, he does an amazing Governator. "He would do well," says one coach of a top-five program. "You gotta be mean to make it in MMA. He looks and sounds nice, but I have no doubt he'd be good at punching people in the face."
UFC Referee Dan Miragliotta Recounts Run-In With Fan At UFC 83
Many outlets have erroneously reported that a crazed fan attacked 6-4, 296 pound UFC referee Dan Miragliotta who promptly put the fan in a rear naked choke before other authorities arrived to make the arrest.
Miragliotta recounted his side of the story about his run-in with the fan in an email to Mr. Sunshine:
The only thing, is that he wasn’t going after me he was charging either GSP or the ring. I just happened to be in between him and his targets. I was asked by the UFC to help with security when the 2 fighters entered the ring area. They where more worried about Matt then GSP.
Bisping/Leben @ UFC 85? For Free?
The hamstring injury to former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell has forced the promotion to shuffle the UFC 85 deck once again for the show at the 02 Arena in London, England, on June 7.
And while no official announcements have been made about what to expect, MMAmania.com has learned a few things throughout the day.
A 185-pound showdown between Michael Bisping and Chris Leben — a match up we teased earlier this afternoon — is expected to headline the show. In addition, James Irvin has agreed to step up and replace Liddell to take on Evans.
In addition, and this is the shakiest bit of information we are passing along, the show will possibly air on SpikeTV for FREE similar to UFC 75: “Champion vs. Champion.”
If all this pans out — and there is still one fight to be announced — fans would have little to complain about. It’s a solid card even though it may lack a “big” name such as Liddell or Georges St. Pierre.
I'd love nothing more then to see Bisping try and trade with Leben.
Edit it won't let me put in a link but http://mmamania.com/2008/04/22/ufc-85-fight-card-rumored-updates/
Liddell Won't Be Out Too Long
"I hyperextended it," Liddell said. "I probably didn't warm up enough, or it was a freak injury.
"I think I can fight by August," said Liddell, who will need four to six weeks to rehab before he can begin hard training...
Liddell said he was lucky that the partial tear was in the belly of the muscle and not the insertion, so it should heal faster.
After the injury, he continued to train his upper body and was swimming without much stress on his legs, while doctors advised him against fighting.
I think they'll be able to maintain their plan if Chuck wins, which is to have him fight for the title in December. I guess the question now is whether he will fight Rashad Evans or Shogun, who is rumored to be returning around that time.
Brandon Vera Wants HW And LHW Titles Within A Year!
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) contender Brandon (The Truth) Vera, who is half-Filipino, said he hopes to bring pride to the Philippines like his idol Manny Pacquiao by winning the heavyweight and lightheavyweight championships, possibly within a year, during a recent visit to Manila.
Kalib Starnes: Dana White ‘wouldnt cross the street for $10,000'
In my opinion, it was inappropriate to make public statements regarding my character and my future and so on the way that he has, especially without having the courage and the respect to call me up and speak with me personally,” Starnes said. “All of these comments come from a man that has never had a fight in his entire life who claims to be the ultimate authority on fighting and courage. I couldn’t be happier than to be released from the most oppressive contract I’ve ever been under in my life…. Dana White wouldn’t stand and trade with a guy [like Quarry] who had an 80 or 90 percent knockout ratio with injuries like I had Saturday night. He wouldn’t cross the street for $10,000. I don’t have anything to prove to anybody. I’m not about to stand there and get smashed to pieces. After I knew my foot was broken, I was trying to back up and work off the jab and keep moving so I didn’t get knocked out.”
Former UFC middleweight Kalib Starnes responds to comments UFC President Dana White made about him after a very weak performance at UFC 83 this past weekend. Starnes claims he requested to be released from his contract, while White insists he was cut. Whatever. Starnes reveals that a broken foot was the reason he essentially refused to fight Nate Quarry during their middleweight match up on April 19 and has fueled this entire fiasco.
Report: Belfort Offered Randleman, EliteXC Deal
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort has reportedly been offered a fight against former heavyweight title holder Kevin Randleman at World Victory Road’s upcoming second “Sengoku” show on May 18th at the at the Ariake Coliseum in Tokyo, Japan.
Even though Randleman has accepted another fight. It is worth noting that Belfort has been contacted and offered a contract by EliteXC.
Emerson Out - Clementi In
Thomas Gerbasi, UFC - Lightweight contender Rich “No Love” Clementi is taking no time off after his three round win over Sam Stout at UFC 83 last Saturday. Instead, the pride of Slidell, Louisiana will be back in the gym preparing for a May 24th bout against UK rising star Terry Etim on the star-studded UFC 84 card at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. Clementi replaces Rob Emerson, who was forced to withdraw from the bout against Etim due to injury.
St. Pierre Talks Win Over Serra
Newly crowned UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) spoke exclusively with Sherdog.com the day after his impressive second-round TKO over Matt Serra (Pictures) at UFC 83. With the win, St. Pierre reclaimed the belt that Serra had taken from him in his first title defense in April 2007.
"Yesterday was the most beautiful day of my life," St. Pierre said, his voice still raspy and full of happiness. "Everything worked out perfectly, and it is a dream come true."
To get the win, St. Pierre employed a very solid wrestling game that allowed him to stay on top of Serra and punish him with countless hard knees to the body. The style contrasted greatly to the standup that Serra had used so successfully the first time. Was St. Pierre worried the few times that Serra got back to his feet?
Another MMA Organization Reports Losses
Elite XC reported $27,584,500 in losses for 2007 in the company's annual report. The company has now lost $31,834,355 between its inception and 12/31.
In money spent, the company paid $3.25 million to fully acquire King of the Cage, $4.1 million for Mixed Martial Arts, Ltd., $400,000 for ownership of Future Fights (ICON in Hawaii), and $1 million for partial ownership of Entlian Corporation (Spirit MC in South Korea).
Elite XC is cutting back on expenses by reducing the number of staff, and did staff layoffs in January.
(Source: Wrestling Observer)
They also forgot the Acquisition of Cage Rage in the UK. Coupled with the fact they just signed Kimbo etc. to long term contracts could this mean problems for them longterm?
It seems Dana's statement about the 'latest three initials MMA company' is not far off the mark after all.
Starnes Requests Exit from UFC
While it seems inevitable the the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Kalib Starnes will part ways, the manner in which the two separated appears to have been misinterpreted.
Should be on main page.
More Fighters To Be Cut From The UFC
UFC is expected to make significant talent cuts, as the active roster has grown to 200 fighters under contract to the MMA organization. UFC doesn't run enough shows to keep all the fighters in a regular rotation.
One of the first major casualties was heavyweight Jake O'Brien, a former Purder wrestler. As reported yesterday, Kalib Starnes was also let go.
Despite the impending cuts, UFC did sign Yushin Okami to a new contract.
So whose next on the list then?