Fedor's "Big Fight" May Not Be Until 2010
So says Scott Coker. The Strikeforce CEO, in revealing plans for Fedor in the promotion, says the fighter's debut will be in October or November. They plan to have him fight a couple of times before a "big fight" and they have a list of 4 candidates as opponents for his debut, again emphasizing one of them is and will not be Ricco Rodriguez.
Cain Velasquez Talks Fatherhood, Shane Carwin and Brock Lesnar's Recent Antics
Cain Velasquez (6-0) isn't buying into his own hype.
The American Kickboxing Academy product is one of the brightest young stars in MMA, yet -- refreshingly -- he still feels he has a long way to go before being considered an elite big man. FanHouse spoke to Velasquez recently at AKA about his progression as a fighter and his upcoming bout against Shane Carwin. Check out the full video interview below.
Paul Bradley Signs With Strikeforce
Highly regarded prospect and former Ultimate Fighter cast member Paul Bradley has signed a multi-fight contract with Strikeforce.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned of the news of the signing this evening in a statement issued through Bradley’s management at LionHeart Professional Management & Promotions.
Why Fedor Emelianenko's and M-1's Co-Promotion Requirement Could Ruin MMA
"This simply isn't going to happen and not just because of the money. UFC has learned the main lesson of boxing's decline: You need to give people the fights they want to see. That can't be done when every fighter is a promotion unto himself, able to avoid taking on an opponent if he doesn't like the terms or his chances. To allow Emelianenko to co-promote with UFC would just be to encourage Lesnar, St-Pierre, Silva, and anyone else who wants more money and more control to hold out for the same rights. And that would be crippling to a nascent sporting cartel."
Chris Leben Explains Steroid Use, Looks Forward to Turning The Page
After a nine-month suspension for using steroids, UFC middleweight Chris Leben is soon to return to action. Usually in a situation like that, a fighter would have to worry about negative public reaction to his comeback, but in this case, Leben is likely to be hailed like a conquering hero, as the 29-year-old veteran has the good fortune of returning at UFC 102 in his hometown of Portland, Oregon.
The match itself, however will not be easy; Leben (18-6) will take on former three-time NCAA wrestling national champion Jake Rosholt as a featured bout on the televised card.
AFFLICTION VP ON NEGOTIATING WITH M-1 & FEDOR
When the negotiations between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and M-1 Global, which represents Fedor Emelianenko, broke down last month, there weren't too many fans or critics surprised by the fact that the Russian wouldn't compete in the Octagon any time in the near future.
The sticking point to the entire process was M-1's demand to co-promote with the UFC, and the UFC has always had a strict policy to not co-promote with other organizations. At the end of the day, no agreement was reached, and Fedor went on to sign with Strikeforce.
Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin at UFC 106
Sources close to the event have confirmed to **********.com that Brock Lesnar will make his first official title defense against Shane Carwin at UFC 106 on November 21 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, NV.
Shane Carwin had been scheduled to take on AKA fighter Cain Velasquez in October at UFC 104. But the UFC has opted to change course. Velasquez is not hurt and his management, Zinkin Entertainment, has not heard any news regarding the bout being scratched.
Minnesota MMA confirmed our source by tweeting the news Wednesday night.
UFC 106 takes place November 21 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas NV.
Here are other rumored matches for the event:
Tito Ortiz vs. Mark Coleman
Jon Fitch vs. Ricardo Almeida
NSAC approves of ‘Special’ Five Round Non-Title Fights
Out of the blue today came news that the NSAC will be meeting on August 19 to vote on a number of proposed rule changes outlined in this document (.pdf). One of the more note worthy proposals in the document is a provision which would allow certain non-title fights to go for five rounds. The changes are italicized.
The BJ Penn Rule
“Greasegate” has made its first imprint on the Nevada State Athletic Commission rulebook. In a meeting held Wednesday in Las Vegas, the NSAC approved language prohibiting the use of foreign substances on a fighter’s body prior to or during a fight that “could result in an unfair advantage.” Dubbed by a commission official as the “B.J. Penn Rule,” the use of foreign substances will now be added to a list of “fouls” in the Nevada Administrative Code that address tactics illegal to fighters, such as eye gouging, small joint manipulation, or biting.
Atlanta Braves to honor new WEC champ and Athens resident Brian Bowles on August 25th
Major League Baseball's Atlanta Braves will honor recently crowned WEC bantamweight champion Brian Bowles next week during their game with the San Diego Padres, the WEC today announced.
Bowles, a Braves fans and native of Athens, Ga., recently dethroned the seemingly indestructible Miguel Torres to win the title at WEC 42.
Bowles, who will start the Aug. 25 game with "play ball!" duties, will also be at Turner Field to meet with fans.
Nevada Commission approves instant replay
Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com
According to a new rule passed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission Wednesday, referees in Nevada now have the opportunity to get a second look at a fight’s end to determine its legality.
The final wording as passed: “A referee at the conclusion of a contest or exhibition stopped immediately due to an injury to an unarmed combatant pursuant to NAC 467.718 and after making a decision, may view a replay if available in order to determine whether the injury in question was caused a legal blow or a foul.”
The rule addresses several controversial stoppages in recent history where a fighter lost a contest because the referee couldn’t see an injury that forced a bout’s stoppage.
A referee may now use instant replay to determine whether the action that caused the injury was legal or a foul and make a decision on the fight’s result. Only a referee can decide whether to order a replay.
In one of the most prominent examples of the need to address injury stoppages, UFC welterweight Anthony Johnson was unintentionally poked in the eye by Kevin Burns at UFC Fight Night 14 last July and was denied an appeal to his TKO loss due to the commission’s “lack of remedy” on the incident.
After a discussion on the issues surrounding the new rule, the five-member commission passed it by unanimous vote. NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer told MMAWeekly.com the rule could take effect in as early as 30 days.
Fight Path: How a mosh pit eventually led Andria Caplan to the "M-1: Breakthrough" card
Andria Caplan was barely aware of mixed martial arts when she and her brother took their passion for the band Biohazard to Philadelphia's Trocadero Theatre about six years ago.
A music enthusiast, Andria had even played bass in a high school band with friends, and the group was one of her favorites.
"We went crazy in the little pit every time we heard them," Andria told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
That night, though, her life would change and lead to a new passion. That's because one of the bouncers working the club that night was Sam Caplan, a dabbler in kung fu and MMA who was on the verge of his own MMA career, though his veered toward the editorial, marketing and promotions end of the business.
Injured Evangelista Santos out of Sept. 25 Strikeforce headliner with Tim Kennedy
An injury has forced middleweight Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (16-13) out of a scheduled Sept. 25 Strikeforce Challengers main event with Tim Kennedy (10-2).
Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the organization learned of the injury over the weekend (when Evangelista's wife, Cris "Cyborg" Santos, defeated Gina Carano for Strikeforce's 145-pound women's title) and that the search is underway for a replacement.
From the cozy confines of the Abe-Ani Combat Club, on the top floor of Gold’s Gym South Tokyo Annex in Tokyo’s Ota ward, Hiroyuki Abe and company are busy at work raising a formidable -- albeit adorable -- army of little grapplers, ages 4 to 14.
It is truly a thing of wonder to have a 5-year-old shoot in on you for a double-leg takedown, and then doggedly switch to dragging you down with the single when you prove too heavy. The next surprise comes when scrambling to all fours, said 5-year-old quickly breaks you down limb by limb until it’s easier to roll you for the pin.
That a majority of these youngsters have honed these particular skills to the point of reflexivity, regardless of their opponent’s size or age, speaks to the fact that Abe has successfully bred Japan’s next generation of wrestlers, some of whom are already national champions looking to take over the combat sports world in just a few years.
Take a break from the all the stress of looking at Dana white, fighter pay, Tito, and just take a second to appreciate the beauty of this sport. This article really does make you proud to be a mixed martial arts fan.