Bisping fight would be foolish move, Haye tells Maccarinelli
Standout British heavyweight David Haye has told fellow British pugilist Enzo Maccarinelli he would be "foolish" to try and fight Mike Bisping under MMA rules.
Haye, who stopped Maccarinelli in the second round of their fight earlier this year, says that MMA and boxing "are two completely different disciplines".
"It would be foolish to expect to switch between the two and dominate" he told Britain's Sun newspaper.
"If Enzo Maccarinelli and Michael Bisping were to meet in the Octagon it would be a no contest - Bisping would beat Maccarinelli 10 times out of 10."
"Michael knows the MMA game inside out, whereas Enzo would be completely new to it," he added.
He was responding to comments made earlier this week by Maccarinelli, who said he would fancy his chances against Bisping in an MMA fight.
Haye has long expressed admiration for mixed martial artists, who he describes as "very physically strong and are very dangerous in the clinch and on the ground. Those are two positions that pro boxers are not used to."
He also noted that when he sparred under MMA rules, "despite always starting on my feet with these guys, I was finding myself taken to the mat eight times out of 10."
Both Haye and Maccarinelli have trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and both compete in tournaments when not preparing for boxing matches.
Haye has said he would like to compete in mixed martial arts when he retires from boxing, but he is currently set on dominating his present sport's heavyweight scene.
BooYaa Is Now NoYaa In UFC & WEC
BooYaa Fight Wear, an MMA clothing line that wanted to sponsor UFC fighter Mike Budnik in his upcoming fight, won't be heard from or seen now in the Octagon because Zuffa has banned them from both UFC and WEC. The main reason appears to be that BooYaa is closely with another MMA promotion-King Of The Cage.
Justin McCully Trains with Al "Stankie" Stankiewicz for Upcoming Bout
McCully said he went back to basics in his training with the now-famous Al "Stankie" Stankiewicz in preparation for his bout with Eddie Sanchez (8-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC).
"I didn't necessarily make any adjustments," McCully said. "But I brought in one of my old boxing trainers, Al 'Stankie.' So I've been hitting my cardio a little bit harder. My boxing, my hands, my wrestling, it's all good.
Video: Fedor would face Brock Lesnar tomorrow
The management team for Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko discusses why he hasn't signed with the UFC, Dana White and goes on record that he would fight UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar, tomorrow.
New Mike Swick Interview
Listen in as Bloodyknux.Com's Tyler Horton talks to UFC 170 lb standout Mike" Quick" Swick as he prepares to take on Jonathon Goulet at UFN Fight Night For The Troops on December 10th. Mike talks about his adventures outside of the Octagon, his preparations for Goulet and his admiration for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which the UFN event is raising money for, and much more.....
Return to UFC possible for Dennis Hallman
Eleven-year veteran Dennis Hallman (40-12-2 MMA, 1-3 UFC), perhaps best known for a pair of quick submission wins over former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes, is reportedly under consideration for a return the sport's biggest organization.
Hallman's manager, Ken Pavia, discussed the possibility during Thursday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
"We actually talked to the UFC at length," Pavia said ."And we almost got that (Jon) Fitch fight in January, but (Akihiro) Gono stepped up. But it was between us and Gono. And [Hallman] might come back to the UFC."
Hallman was most recently seen in a November 2007 submission win over Jeremiah Metcalf in the California-based Strikeforce organization. The 33-year-old was then suspended for one year after testing positive for Drostanolone and Nandrolone Metabolite -- two types of steroids -- following the bout.
Pavia said the suspension is now over, and that Hallman is weighing several offers for his services.
"The suspension actually came out late November," Pavia said. "So he's now eligible. It's been like two or three weeks, and we've weighed two or three offers.
"We have legitimate, decent offers for him -- the likes of which he hasn't seen in a while."
Hallman has fought for a variety of organizations in his career, including the IFL, SportFight, Rumble on the Rock and King of the Cage. The Washington native handed Hughes the first two losses of his illustrious career, including a submission win in Hughes' second trip to the octagon at UFC 29.
Hallman would lose his next three bouts for the UFC to Jens Pulver, Frank Trigg and Jorge Rivera.
Pavia also cites Strikeforce as a possible home for Hallman. And despite competing most recently at 185 pounds, Pavia said a move to welterweight also seems likely for Hallman.
Torres On Bowles: ''It's His Time''
"I think Brian (Bowles earned) this fight a while ago. I think he's a very good opponent for me," said Torres without missing a beat. "He loves to stand up; I love to stand up. His jiu-jitsu is very good. His wrestling is very good. I think he's a very dangerous opponent. I'd love to fight Brian.
"Like I've said before, I'm in the WEC to fight the best fighters in the world. I know he doesn't have a huge record, but from what I've seen of him, he's a very, very honorable opponent."
Nate Diaz vs Clay Guida UFC 94 fight official
The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 5 lightweight winner Nate Diaz (10-2) will indeed battle Clay Guida (24-9) at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2,” which is scheduled for the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on January 31, according to GracieFighter.com.
The 155-pound competitors were previously penciled in to collide at TUF 8 Finale on December 12; however, the bout fell through because of a foot injury sustained by “The Carpenter” in training.
It was apparently a fight worth waiting for and is now set to take place on the monster Super Bowl weekend pay-per-view (PPV) show.
Bowles On Shot At Torres: ''It's What I Deserve''
World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight Brian Bowles has started to see the fruits of his labor in MMA.
In February, the 25-year-old Athens, Ga. native left his day job as a sales rep for Pepsi with the dream of making a serious run at the WEC bantamweight title. Gone are the 60-hour workweeks with training and fights squeezed in. Sure, he bar backs and bounces at a local club for extra money, but his day job doesn’t rule his life as before.
“I think my game has gotten so much better,” he said. “I get a lot more rest and recovery time. When I come into a fight, it helps me mentally, because I know I’ve focused all my time doing nothing but preparing for the fight.”
Paul "Semtex" Daley Defeats John Alessio at MFC 19
Paul Daley defeated John Alessio by TKO in the second round at MFC 19 tonight. Alessio spent the first round trying for takedowns while Daley defended very well. It took over a minute before Alessio was able to get the fight to the ground but Daley stayed active on the bottom not taking any damage before eventually escaping back to his feet. As they stood Alessio appeared a bit winded and Daley closed out the round with a takedown of his own.
In the second round it was more of the same as Alessio continued to look for the takedown but Daley was able to defend and get separation. At this point Alessio's mouth was wide open and Semtex took over. A few left hooks, a couple uppercuts and a kick which landed mostly knee to face knocked Alessio to the mat. Two big shots later and the ref jumped in to save Alessio from any further damage.
It should be noted that Semtex showed up four pounds overweight and had to sacrifice 25% of his purse as a penalty. After the fight Daley said he wants to fight in January for either Sengoku or Affliction.
Mir Talks Nog, Nog, More Nog
In a recent interview with CBS Sportsline, Frank Mir talked about pretty much everything related to his upcoming fight with Interim UFC Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, including offering his prediction for the fight-judge's decision.
TUF 8 Pranks Motive Revealed-Boredom
Now that the season-and-the pranks-are behind us, TUF 8 fighter Krysztof Soszynski has revealed the motive behind the pranks on the show, several he was behind-boredom in the house. He also spoke about the one prank he thought of that didn't happen.
Liddell Training With ATT
Chuck Liddell is training with American Top Team in a bid to get back on track after his knockout loss to Rashad Evans at UFC 88.
The news was revealed by his coach John Hackleman, who trains and manages Liddell at The Pit, the gym he represents when he fights.
Hackleman appeared on FightHype to answer questions from fans, one of which was whether Liddell was trying to round his skills out by training with ATT.
"Yeah, you learn something new wherever you train. He's always cross-trained and had people come in. He will definitely learn from Liborio and Matt," replied Hackleman.
Evans & Griffin Headed To Breaking Point
Perhaps it goes with the territory for a psychology major, but Rashad Evans thinks deeply about his upcoming title fight with Forrest Griffin at UFC 92.
A little over three weeks away from the big night, he wants to make sure he looks at his shot through the right lens.
“It’s an opportunity that I have and I plan on seizing that opportunity, but if I don’t, this is by no means a make or break situation,” Evans says.
UFC Quick Quote: Lyoto Machida on being branded boring
“Everyone has their own opinion and I really respect that. I am a martial artist, there is a lot of thought and strategy that goes into the way I fight. Give me time and in the future every one will understand my style. It is like jiu-jitsu in the beginning (UFC 1, 2, 3…), it was boring but now it is necessary. If you don’t like it, sorry. I always try to win. For some that is boring, I know, but I am beating the best in the world. After my fights I do not have nothing on my face, no scratches, no bruises. I am like a ghost they can not find me. If that is boring, that is their opinion. But I will be there for long time WINNING. Let everyone underestimate me. I will always be training ready for the next.”
– Undefeated light heavyweight contender Lyoto Machida addresses his critics who feel his style is boring in a recent interview with BloodyElbow.com. He has five straight wins inside the Octagon — four of which have gone to decision. He takes on Thiago Silva at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2? at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on January 31. The winner of that bout will likely earn early title challenger consideration in 2009 along with either Quinton “Rampage” Jackson or Wanderlei Silva. What say you … is the “Dragon” boring or just too good that most casual fans can’t appreciate his elusive style?
New welterweight Martin Kampmann to meet UFC newcomer at UFC 93
After a loss to middleweight Nate Marquardt in September at UFC 88, Martin Kampmann will now drop a weight class and make his welterweight debut at UFC 93.
The event takes place Jan. 17 at The 02 in Dublin, Ireland.
With the night's televised, pay-per-view main card already announced, Kampmann will likely fight on the night's preliminary card. And his manager said it'll likely come against a UFC newcomer.
"They haven't (released his opponent)," Ken Pavia of MMAAgents.com told TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He is fighting in Ireland definitively, though. There's a couple different guys we're tossing around. They'll be new guys to the UFC."
Kampmann (13-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC) debuted in the UFC in 2006 and posted four consecutive victories as a middleweight. The streak, which included a 16-month layoff from March 2007 to June 2008 due to a substantial knee injury, pushed his overall win streak to nine straight wins.
After the knee injury, Kampmann defeated Jorge Rivera at UFC 85, but three months later at UFC 88, he suffered an 82-second TKO drubbing to Marquardt.
MMAjunkie.com reported after the fight that Kampmann was considering a move to welterweight, and earlier this week, fiveouncesofpain.com reported that his 170-pound debut would come at UFC 93.
Although Kampmann was never one of the division's bigger middleweights, the drop to welterweight hasn't been an easy one.
"We did a trial cut to 171 (pounds)," Pavia said. "And (Phil) Baroni helped him. He says, 'Kampmann made it.' I said, 'How did he do?' He goes, 'Oh, man. He was a bitch. He was crying. He never cut (weight) before.' I called Kampmann. I go, 'How did the cut go?' He goes, 'Man, I was a bitch. It was terrible.'"
Although his specific opponent is still being determined, Kampmann, who recently signed a UFC contract extension, is expected to meet a UFC newcomer, likely from the local fight scene in Ireland. After all, the 26-year-old Kampmann isn't committed entirely to 170 pounds and instead sees his upcoming fight as a trial run.
"We're going to rebuild him," Pavia said. "We're changing weight classes. It's a weight he's never fought at before, so we don't want him to jump in against a (Josh) Koscheck or (Jon) Fitch. He's not ready for that, quite frankly. It's his first time at 170 . We're going to see how it goes and see how the weight is. And if it goes well, we'll start climbing the ladder again."
Thompson Likely To Return To Action At Sengoku 7
According to his manager, James Thompson likely will return to action at Sengoku 7 on January 4. He last fought in May for EliteXC against Kimbo Slice. An opponent for Thompson has yet to be determined, but his agent also confirmed that he was previously offered Muhammad Lawal but turned it down because of short notice.