UFC Tentatively Adds Vancouver, Toronto To 2010 Slate
MM-Eh! UFC CEO and co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta said the organization has "penciled in" Vancouver for a June 2010 pay-per-view event, and the executive also gave his "guarantee" the UFC will head to Toronto for what will be the "biggest mixed martial arts event in North America." The comments, made during a keynote speech at the UFC Fan Expo, were reported by the Canadian Press.
Souza-Miller 3 Set For September
After their second fight ended in a No Contest in May, Jason Miller & Ronaldo Souza are now set for their 3rd fight for DREAM in September. The fight will be their second in a row for the vacant DREAM Middleweight Title.
Josh Neer Sentenced For Drunk Driving Charges, UFC 101 Fight Still On
After pleading guilty to two charges stemming from a New Year's Day drunk-driving arrest, Josh Neer has been sentenced to 7 years in prison but the entire sentence is suspended. He is also on probation and will avoid prison time if he fulfills those terms and was given clearance to travel for his job, meaning his UFC 101 fight with Kurt Pellegrino is still on.
BONES JONES NOT HAPPY ABOUT UFC 100 STAND-UP
Jon “Bones” Jones certainly looked relaxed in the Octagon as he faced “Irish” Jake O’Brien at UFC 100, shuffling around the action like hero Muhammed Ali.
He stayed true to his unpredictable style, too, catching wrestler/boxer O’Brien off guard with a fake takedown attempt that turned into a spinning elbow, setting the fight’s end in motion.
Rob Kimmons meets veteran middleweight Jorge Rivera at UFC 104 in October
Fresh off a new multi-fight deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, veteran fighter and "The Ultimate Fighter 4" cast member Jorge Rivera (16-7 MMA, 5-5 UFC) will meet rising middleweight prospect Rob Kimmons (22-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at UFC 104.
A source close to one of the fighters today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) bout agreements have been distributed and likely signed.
UFC 103, four bouts officially announced for Dallas; Tickets on sale this week
The UFC today officially announced its long-rumored UFC 103 event, which takes place Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, and four featured bouts for the show.
Previously reported and now-official bouts include Martin Kampmann (15-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) vs. Mike Swick (14-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC), Josh Koscheck (12-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) vs. Frank Trigg (19-6 MMA, 2-3 UFC), Hermes Franca (19-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) vs. Tyson Griffin (13-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) and Efrain Escudero (11-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) vs. Cole Miller (15-3 MMA, 4-1 UFC)...
Lift The Ban Watch: Massachusetts A Step Closer To Legalizing MMA
The Massachusetts Senate Ways and Means Committee on Tuesday passed "An Act To Regulate The Sport Of Mixed Martial Arts" with a favorable review, clearing it for a debate and vote on the Senate floor. Although it still has a ways to go, this keeps hopes of MMA in Massachusetts, more notably Boston, by early next year or even the end of this year alive.
Cro Cop vs Dos Santos UFC 103, winner faces....
It says "On Cro Cop's way to the top stand Dos Santos and Minotauro". It says Mirko will get a shot at the winner of Couture vs Nogueira, if he beats Dos Santos. The winner of that fight will fight with Brock Lesnar, for the title (in case Brock still holds the title since Dana announced that theres a possibility Fedor will join the UFC). Also its not impossible that Mirko and Fedor touch gloves once again.
Thats the translation.
UFC 103's Martin Kampmann vs. Mike Swick will, in fact, determine a No. 1 contender for GSP
A UFC 103 welterweight bout between veterans Martin Kampmann (15-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and Mike Swick (14-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) will, in fact, determine a No. 1 contender to challenge for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre's championship belt.
During this past Saturday's, July 11, UFC 100 pay-per-view event, broadcaster Joe Rogan said he was informed by UFC Vice President of Fighter Relations Joe Silva that the Sept. 19 fight could be a No. 1 contender's bout.
Sources close to the fight have since confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the winner will be assured a title shot.
Mike Brown vs Jose Aldo at WEC 44 on Nov. 11 (source)
Jose Aldo’s long-dreamed-of shot at the WEC featherweight crown has come. As discovered by GRACIEMAG.com, the Brazilian fighter will face Featherweight champion Mike Brown on November 11.
“I found out the news yesterday, when I came to the gym to train. Dede [Andre Pederneiras] told me and I signed the contract. Now I’m just waiting for the day to get here,” said and excited Jose Aldo, exclusively to GRACIEMAG.com.
The Nova Uniao black belt made it clear, however, that despite the good news, he will remain concentrated and focused solely on the challenge at hand. “I’m only going to feel fulfilled when I conquer the belt, we have to work hard and consistently, since I still have another rung to climb,” stated the fighter.
“Mike Brown is a great athlete and he’s becoming more and more well-rounded as time goes by. He came over from wrestling and is really good at the style. His ground game has come a long ways. We’ll se. Now I’m going to travel with Marlon Sandro, my teammate, for the Sengoku final, August 2, and later when I return I’ll focus on training real hard and coming up with a good strategy,” he said.
With 15 wins and only one loss in professional MMA, Aldo has had a successful campaign in the WEC, winning all five fights in the organization by knockout, three in the very first round.
Mike Brown is undefeated since 2005, having won all four of his appearances in the WEC. His latest victim is former champion Urijah Faber, who he beat by unanimous decision in June of this year.
Kimbo Slice: ‘I don’t mind being a gatekeeper’ for UFC heavyweight division
“I guess it’s safe to say I don’t mind being a gatekeeper. Eventually, you got something you want to get. A drive for something, you know what I’m saying? And I guess I’m still searching for that inner me, I’m still searching for something. Until I find it, and until my fire is done, I’m a fighter…. Eventually, you want that title around your waist, that’s eventually the goal. But it don’t happen, just line them up.”
Less than confident words from the preseason star of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10, Kimbo Slice. UFC President Dana White shocked the mixed martial arts community not too long ago, announcing that the former bareknuckle Miami street brawler had taken him up on his offer to compete on the tournament-style Spike TV-produced program. His timing may not be the best — TUF 10 features former IFL champion, Roy Nelson, UFC veteran Wes Sims and several former NFL players, among others. So will Slice prove White (who predicted he would never win a TUF show back in Oct. 2008 when he first made the bold offer) and all the other doubters wrong or can he hang with the big boys? Find out on Sept. 16, 2009, at 10 p.m. ET on Spike TV. For now, have at it in the comments section below.
Fabricio Werdum reveals strategy against Alistair Overeem: ‘Just wait for him to get tired’
Fabricio Werdum is currently preparing for the most important professional fight of his life.
On August 15 the renowned Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt will be facing off with Dutch wrecking ball Alistair Overeem for the Strikeforce Heavyweight Championship on the main card of “Strikeforce: Carano vs.Cyborg“.
The two are far from strangers as they had previously faced off at “PRIDE: Total Elimination Absolute” in May of 2006. A bout which Werdum had his hand raised in victory following a second round kimura submission from his guard.