Torres On Bowles: ''It's His Time''
"I think Brian (Bowles earned) this fight a while ago. I think he's a very good opponent for me," said Torres without missing a beat. "He loves to stand up; I love to stand up. His jiu-jitsu is very good. His wrestling is very good. I think he's a very dangerous opponent. I'd love to fight Brian.
"Like I've said before, I'm in the WEC to fight the best fighters in the world. I know he doesn't have a huge record, but from what I've seen of him, he's a very, very honorable opponent."
Nate Diaz vs Clay Guida UFC 94 fight official
The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 5 lightweight winner Nate Diaz (10-2) will indeed battle Clay Guida (24-9) at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2,” which is scheduled for the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on January 31, according to GracieFighter.com.
The 155-pound competitors were previously penciled in to collide at TUF 8 Finale on December 12; however, the bout fell through because of a foot injury sustained by “The Carpenter” in training.
It was apparently a fight worth waiting for and is now set to take place on the monster Super Bowl weekend pay-per-view (PPV) show.
Bowles On Shot At Torres: ''It's What I Deserve''
World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight Brian Bowles has started to see the fruits of his labor in MMA.
In February, the 25-year-old Athens, Ga. native left his day job as a sales rep for Pepsi with the dream of making a serious run at the WEC bantamweight title. Gone are the 60-hour workweeks with training and fights squeezed in. Sure, he bar backs and bounces at a local club for extra money, but his day job doesn’t rule his life as before.
“I think my game has gotten so much better,” he said. “I get a lot more rest and recovery time. When I come into a fight, it helps me mentally, because I know I’ve focused all my time doing nothing but preparing for the fight.”
Paul "Semtex" Daley Defeats John Alessio at MFC 19
Paul Daley defeated John Alessio by TKO in the second round at MFC 19 tonight. Alessio spent the first round trying for takedowns while Daley defended very well. It took over a minute before Alessio was able to get the fight to the ground but Daley stayed active on the bottom not taking any damage before eventually escaping back to his feet. As they stood Alessio appeared a bit winded and Daley closed out the round with a takedown of his own.
In the second round it was more of the same as Alessio continued to look for the takedown but Daley was able to defend and get separation. At this point Alessio's mouth was wide open and Semtex took over. A few left hooks, a couple uppercuts and a kick which landed mostly knee to face knocked Alessio to the mat. Two big shots later and the ref jumped in to save Alessio from any further damage.
It should be noted that Semtex showed up four pounds overweight and had to sacrifice 25% of his purse as a penalty. After the fight Daley said he wants to fight in January for either Sengoku or Affliction.
Mir Talks Nog, Nog, More Nog
In a recent interview with CBS Sportsline, Frank Mir talked about pretty much everything related to his upcoming fight with Interim UFC Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, including offering his prediction for the fight-judge's decision.
TUF 8 Pranks Motive Revealed-Boredom
Now that the season-and-the pranks-are behind us, TUF 8 fighter Krysztof Soszynski has revealed the motive behind the pranks on the show, several he was behind-boredom in the house. He also spoke about the one prank he thought of that didn't happen.
Liddell Training With ATT
Chuck Liddell is training with American Top Team in a bid to get back on track after his knockout loss to Rashad Evans at UFC 88.
The news was revealed by his coach John Hackleman, who trains and manages Liddell at The Pit, the gym he represents when he fights.
Hackleman appeared on FightHype to answer questions from fans, one of which was whether Liddell was trying to round his skills out by training with ATT.
"Yeah, you learn something new wherever you train. He's always cross-trained and had people come in. He will definitely learn from Liborio and Matt," replied Hackleman.
Evans & Griffin Headed To Breaking Point
Perhaps it goes with the territory for a psychology major, but Rashad Evans thinks deeply about his upcoming title fight with Forrest Griffin at UFC 92.
A little over three weeks away from the big night, he wants to make sure he looks at his shot through the right lens.
“It’s an opportunity that I have and I plan on seizing that opportunity, but if I don’t, this is by no means a make or break situation,” Evans says.
UFC Quick Quote: Lyoto Machida on being branded boring
“Everyone has their own opinion and I really respect that. I am a martial artist, there is a lot of thought and strategy that goes into the way I fight. Give me time and in the future every one will understand my style. It is like jiu-jitsu in the beginning (UFC 1, 2, 3…), it was boring but now it is necessary. If you don’t like it, sorry. I always try to win. For some that is boring, I know, but I am beating the best in the world. After my fights I do not have nothing on my face, no scratches, no bruises. I am like a ghost they can not find me. If that is boring, that is their opinion. But I will be there for long time WINNING. Let everyone underestimate me. I will always be training ready for the next.”
– Undefeated light heavyweight contender Lyoto Machida addresses his critics who feel his style is boring in a recent interview with BloodyElbow.com. He has five straight wins inside the Octagon — four of which have gone to decision. He takes on Thiago Silva at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2? at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on January 31. The winner of that bout will likely earn early title challenger consideration in 2009 along with either Quinton “Rampage” Jackson or Wanderlei Silva. What say you … is the “Dragon” boring or just too good that most casual fans can’t appreciate his elusive style?
New welterweight Martin Kampmann to meet UFC newcomer at UFC 93
After a loss to middleweight Nate Marquardt in September at UFC 88, Martin Kampmann will now drop a weight class and make his welterweight debut at UFC 93.
The event takes place Jan. 17 at The 02 in Dublin, Ireland.
With the night's televised, pay-per-view main card already announced, Kampmann will likely fight on the night's preliminary card. And his manager said it'll likely come against a UFC newcomer.
"They haven't (released his opponent)," Ken Pavia of MMAAgents.com told TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He is fighting in Ireland definitively, though. There's a couple different guys we're tossing around. They'll be new guys to the UFC."
Kampmann (13-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC) debuted in the UFC in 2006 and posted four consecutive victories as a middleweight. The streak, which included a 16-month layoff from March 2007 to June 2008 due to a substantial knee injury, pushed his overall win streak to nine straight wins.
After the knee injury, Kampmann defeated Jorge Rivera at UFC 85, but three months later at UFC 88, he suffered an 82-second TKO drubbing to Marquardt.
MMAjunkie.com reported after the fight that Kampmann was considering a move to welterweight, and earlier this week, fiveouncesofpain.com reported that his 170-pound debut would come at UFC 93.
Although Kampmann was never one of the division's bigger middleweights, the drop to welterweight hasn't been an easy one.
"We did a trial cut to 171 (pounds)," Pavia said. "And (Phil) Baroni helped him. He says, 'Kampmann made it.' I said, 'How did he do?' He goes, 'Oh, man. He was a bitch. He was crying. He never cut (weight) before.' I called Kampmann. I go, 'How did the cut go?' He goes, 'Man, I was a bitch. It was terrible.'"
Although his specific opponent is still being determined, Kampmann, who recently signed a UFC contract extension, is expected to meet a UFC newcomer, likely from the local fight scene in Ireland. After all, the 26-year-old Kampmann isn't committed entirely to 170 pounds and instead sees his upcoming fight as a trial run.
"We're going to rebuild him," Pavia said. "We're changing weight classes. It's a weight he's never fought at before, so we don't want him to jump in against a (Josh) Koscheck or (Jon) Fitch. He's not ready for that, quite frankly. It's his first time at 170 . We're going to see how it goes and see how the weight is. And if it goes well, we'll start climbing the ladder again."
Thompson Likely To Return To Action At Sengoku 7
According to his manager, James Thompson likely will return to action at Sengoku 7 on January 4. He last fought in May for EliteXC against Kimbo Slice. An opponent for Thompson has yet to be determined, but his agent also confirmed that he was previously offered Muhammad Lawal but turned it down because of short notice.
Gary Goodridge Walks Out Of Ring During Fight
Gary Goodridge showed up to fight in Budapest, Hungary today. He did not expect to have to fight two opponents - Nemeth “Tatar” Gabor AND the referee. According to Gary Goodridge’s Facebook page, “Big Daddy” Goodridge left the match during the second round. Goodridge announced on his site that Gabor constantly held onto the ropes and the referee never stopped the behavior nor docked Gabor any points. Instead, the referee docked Goodridge points in the first round for no apparent reasons.
As Goodridge mentions on the site, the audience did not care about the tactics that Gabor was utilizing as he was their hometown fighter. Goodridge goes on to say that “A fight is hard enough as it is, at age 42…I have to fight the opponent and the referee, and then I get all the penalties too…whatever… they can take their bullshit and I’m walking out of this one…:” Goodridge is outraged in his posting and continues to say that he “felt that this was set up from the beginning. I was mad as hell at the referee’s lack of professionalism and not following fighting rules…”
Unfortunately, footage has yet to be made available for the fight but Goodridge describes the first round from his point of view in detail on his profile page.
It was the first round and we both went into ring. I gave some great kicks to Tatar, my opponent. Then I did my usual strategy of putting up my gloves to cover my face while my opponent tires out. The referee stopped the match at this point, and took points away from me for no apparent reason. There was some protest in both corners, mine and his. … Read MoreThen the match continued…
Boxing happened as per expected, and I gave some kicks and punches out, but mostly kicks as this was my winning strategy going in…Tatar held onto the ropes 20 times up to his arm pits. John Gnap told me it looked like a professional wrestling match.
I got behind my opponent and grabbed his legs to pull him off the ropes…the referee then stopped the match again and gave Tatar no penalty points. Once the match was started again, I took my opponent down to the mat. I was in control on top, and was looking for an arm bar. Just then, the referee stopped the fight again and made us stand.
Goodridge, who has always been a professional in his fourteen years of over 40 MMA fights, goes on to describe the second round events that continued to frustrate him and eventually led to his exiting the fight.
After a 2 minute break it was round 2, and we both exchanged punches. My opponent pushed me into ropes, and I snuck out many times and gave him some knees. He was grabbing onto the ropes again to escape from my attack. John Gnap later told me that he had slapped Tatar’s hands about 10 times for holding the ropes, but it took a long while before the referee stopped the match again. At this point, I was pretty ticked off.
The referee wanted to start us again by the end of round 2, but I walked out of the ring, went to the change room, took a shower, and left the venue to go back to the hotel…this is the first time I have walked out of the ring in my 14 years of fighting…
Goodridge claims in his post that popular Hungarian boxing writer, Janos Perutek, was at the fight and contacted Gary in the locker room. Perutek apparently agreed with Goodridge’s antics and said that the behavior of the referee and opponent were shameful and he apologized on behalf of his country. Perutek agreed to write up the fight as a “No Contest”. The Hungarian website http://www.monokli.com also mentions that the hefty Gabor continually clung to the ropes throughout the fight.
Attempts to contact Nemeth Gabor have so far proven to be unsuccessful.
I know this isn't big news but the first i've ever heard of a fighter doing this and its quite displeasing.
Instant Replay Used For First Time In MMA
Instant replay has become an institution for most major sporting events all over the world, and last year the sport of mixed martial arts stepped into that arena when the New Jersey Athletic Control Board instituted the policy, and now it has been instituted in practice as well.
CSAC to Re-Institute MMA Drug Testing
The California State Athletic Commission is one week away from rolling out a new program to streamline and strengthen the drug testing process in one of the country’s biggest hotbeds for MMA. Newly minted Assistant Executive Officer Bill Douglas finalized the program on Tuesday, and said it will take effect at two upcoming California events, a Roy Englebrecht-promoted boxing card and King of the Cage event scheduled for Dec. 11. The CSAC will now conduct steroid testing with one of two World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) labs in the country at the University of California, Los Angeles. In early November, the CSAC became its exclusive client for combat sports testing. Among other clients, the UCLA lab currently handles steroid testing for the NFL, NCAA, and the U.S. Olympic Team.
Babalu Will Still Have His Day Of Reckoning
The on-again off-again pattern that is Renato Sobral being on the upcoming Affliction card now has him on again. He won't be fighting Matt Lindland as previously planned but will be fighting someone on the card at 205. No word yet on who his opponent will be.
Kimo talks UFC, Career, Roids, Lesnar & More!
Kimo Leopoldo ‘Can We Get Some Old School Fighters Here?’
Mixed Martial Arts Legend Kimo Leopoldo recently talked with PDG about his career, the resignation of CSAC’s Armando Garcia, the UFC, Kimbo Slice, Ken Shamrock, the history of MMA and the battles that were in the early days of “No Holds Barred’ fighting.
PDG: So do you think that this influx of new fighters that may be lacking the credentials is watering down the talent pool in mixed martial arts? Kimo: Yes but that is only part of it; it also falls on the shoulders of the matchmakers and all of the new rules put in place to “protect the fighters”. I know some of this stuff is in place to help fighters build their record up but in the past it was anybody, any place and at any time. Now it's more like let me see if this fight is okay with my coach and manager. Kimbo Slice had that fire, Ken Shamrock had it, Tank Abbott had that fire, Royce Gracie had it and I had it. The old-school fighters know exactly what I am talking about.