UFC 101 Buyrate Likely to Exceed Expectations
Dave Meltzer writes in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer that final UFC 101 buyrate figures may be set to exceed the predictions of just about everyone in the industry, including MMAPayout.com:
Last week’s early estimates of UFC 101 have been confirmed. We’ve had three different systems of six we’ve gotten reports on real numbers that reported the second best numbers, behind only UFC 100. The others did right at or just below other the big three of late (Couture vs. Lesnar, Griffin vs. Evans and Penn vs. St. Pierre). One national cable estimate was at this stage between 800,000 and 900,000 buys. Trending patterns indicate numbers higher than that, and if it was the same as the big three before UFC 100, or better, as indicated by the few direct numbers we have, it could top 1 million since UFC 92 hit that figure and 91 and 94 were just below.
Essentially, three of the six systems used to tabulate and predict final PPV numbers are indicating that UFC 101 will surpass all but UFC 100 in terms of its PPV buyrate. The other three systems have placed the buyrate in the 800-900k range (something a little closer to what MMAPayout.com expected).
If true, this is obviously great news for the UFC, and just adds to their stellar year. And just to give you an indication of how good of a year it is: in 2008, the UFC did an estimated 5,700,000 PPV buys; but, if you include UFC 101, the company has already done over 5,500,000 buys as of mid-August (and with probably six events still to come).
Todd Duffee – No Talk, All Action
Talk to Todd Duffee and you wouldn’t describe him as one of those ‘glass
half empty’ types of people. But if he sounds like he was skeptical about his UFC 102 fight with Tim Hague coming to fruition this weekend, he’s got good reason. Just look at his history.
KENNY FLORIAN PLANS ON FIGHTING AGAIN THIS YEAR
Fresh off a loss to B.J. Penn at UFC 101 in Philadelphia on Aug. 8, Kenny Florian wants to be more active and expects to fight again in 2009.
"I am going to fight before 2010. There's no doubt about it," he told MMAWeekly.com. "I have to get a fight in. I think it will happen and hopefully against someone tough
The Champion’s Clause: An MMA Comparative
Last week MMAPayout.com examined how Anderson Silva might avoid the “champion’s clause” in his UFC contract in order to seek the oft-rumoured boxing match with Roy Jones Jr. While Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, has sinced cleared the air with regards to Silva’s intentions, the situation nonetheless has provided an opportunity to shed more light on the champion’s clause - it may surprise you to know that the UFC isn’t the only organization with such a contractual obligation.
WEC Explains Fight Card Postponement
A day after World Extreme Cagefighting announced that it had postponed its previously scheduled Sept. 2 fight card, WEC Vice President Peter Dropick said in an interview with FanHouse that the organization will move forward with the same fight card on October 10, and saying of the Donald Cerrone vs. Ben Henderson main event, "Fans want to see this fight."
Dropick also said the dispute between DirecTV and Versus, WEC's television network, had nothing to do with the decision to postpone the card, and that ticket sales were tracking as expected in Youngstown, Ohio, but that the card will now take place in a yet-to-be-determined city.
The full interview is below.
"Razor" Rob McCullough vs. Anthony Pettis in the works for WEC 44 in November
While WEC official search for a new location for WEC 43, the organization continues to press forward with future plans.
A lightweight contest between former WEC champion "Razor" Rob McCullough (17-5 MMA, 8-3 WEC) and fast-rising prospect Anthony Pettis (7-0 MMA, 1-0 WEC) is in the works for WEC 44 in November.
Sherdog.com first reported the bout as signed, and though MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed that the matchup is likely, sources close to the event indicated the fight is still just in the verbal-agreement stages.
Jake Rosholt ready for the ‘fight of his life’ against Chris Leben at UFC 102
“This is a huge, huge fight for me. I’m fighting someone with a big name, who has tons of fans and respect. It’s on pay-per-view, on the main card, so I’m pumped. As far as I’m concerned, it’s the biggest fight of my life…. Chris is a very tough fighter who always comes forward and puts pressure on his opponents, and he’s gonna try to knock my head off. But I’ll be ready for that and I’ll be able to take the fight wherever I want.”
Back injury forced Dan Lauzon out of UFC 103
Less than one month before he was scheduled to make his return to the UFC after a three-year absence, lightweight Dan Lauzon (12-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has been forced to withdraw from his UFC 103 bout with Rafaello Oliveira (9-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) after suffering a back injury in training.
Lauzon confirmed the injury on his Twitter account, though the UFC has yet to make an official announcement.
UFC v. Boxing tit-for-tat: Mayweather fight now in movie theaters
This back and forth between Golden Boy Promotions and the UFC is great. Boxing and MMA go head-to-head o September 19. It's UFC 103 in Dallas against the Floyd Mayweather Jr. boxing card. Last week, Golden Boy announced it would be adding three more solid fights to its undercard. UFC followed that announcement by unveiling a free one-hour lead-in show on Spike TV featuring two fights on the previously unaired undercard. Golden Boy has fired it's next shot announcing that the Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez fight will be available in 170 movie theaters across the country.
The Real Reason Dana White Declared War On Strikeforce!
Did the UFC president, Dana White declare war on Strikeforce because Strikeforce landed Fedor Emelianenko when the UFC couldn’t?
I doubt it, although the issue may have exacerbated Dana’s distaste of Strikeforce. The UFC’s failure to sign the world’s best heavyweight must have been humiliating, even though Fedor’s decision to go with Strikeforce was blameless on all sides.
Did the WEC Postpone WEC 43 Because of Versus' Dispute With DirecTV?
Dave Meltzer: "I think that what happened is that they don’t want to do that show on September 2nd if DirecTV pulls them on September 1st. So, they’re giving them so they’re pulling the show so they have, because it makes no sense for WEC, you know, I … it’s how I read it. I mean maybe Ben Henderson really is hurt, but the thing that’s really strange me to is it’s like if he really was hurt, they would just put, why don’t they just do the match on the next show? I mean, they’ve never postponed an actual show over someone being injured, they always have a replacement."
Is Anthony Johnson Ready to Take Next Step in UFC's Welterweight Division?
Anthony Johnson's climb up the UFC's 170-pound ladder has been a slow but steady one. After competing in the Octagon for two-plus years, most fighters usually receive a shot against a top contender to see if they are ready to fight elite talent. And while "Rumble" has yet to face the best welterweights the UFC has to offer, he will meet perhaps his toughest opponent to date in the form of Yoshiyuki Yoshida at UFC 104 in October.
FanHouse spoke to Johnson about his recent knee injury and fighting Yoshida. Check out the full video interview below.