Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
Sign In
Username:

 
Password:

 
Keep me logged in

Page 1106 - Top MMA News and Mixed Martial Arts Headlines

Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share?
Then read our guidelines then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
 
Evan Tanner Could Die In The Desert
(mmamania.com)
Seriously. For his latest adventure, Tanner plans, in his own words, "on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life." He still needs to address some medical issues before returning to UFC, which he'll probably do upon his return from the desert...if he returns.
Submitted Aug 18, 2008 12:01PM by DCRage - 17 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Grove Puts Fatherhood, Business Ahead Of Fighting For Now
(mmajunkie.com)
Coming off a "must-win" fight against Evan Tanner to poteneitally save his UFC career, Kendall Grove now plans to take time off until early 2009. He plans to be home with his wife and newborn daughter and to open a new school/training facility in Hawaii with fellow Hawaiian fighter Troy Mandaloniz.
Submitted Aug 18, 2008 11:55AM by DCRage - 0 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Jorge Rivera Daughter Memorial Fund Created
(mmamania.com)
Over the past weekend UFC fighter Kenny Florian announced details of a memorial fund set up in honor of Jorge Rivera's daughter Jessica, who died unexpectedly earlier this month. The address to send donations to is below: USMMA 316 Hartford Ave. Bellingham, MA 02019 Checks should be made out to Jorge Rivera.
Submitted Aug 18, 2008 10:57AM by DCRage - 3 comments
Filed under: Miscellaneous
 
Anthony Johnson Targeting October Return
(mmaweekly.com)
Seeming to have put the controversial TKO "eye poke loss" behind him, Anthony Johnson recently noted that while he wasn't happy with the fight's outcome, he's put it behind him and is planning to return to UFC in October. He could be cleared for a September return but Johnson plans to play it safe and wait a little longer.
Submitted Aug 18, 2008 6:37AM by DCRage - 3 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Sean Sherk: I Want To Fight The Best Of The Rest
(mmaweekly.com)
Not content with facing just anyone in the UFC Lightweight Division, former champion Sean Sherk says he wants to face the toughest competition around, the guys that, if he defeats them, will leave no one doubting that he should be back in the mix, fighting for a UFC championship.
Submitted Aug 18, 2008 6:35AM by DCRage - 10 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Strikeforce October Event On HDNet
(mmaweekly.com)
Strikeforce VP Mike Aframowitz announced over the weekend that the promotion's Denver debut event in October wil air live on HDNet. This will be the 2nd event of at least 4 this year HDNet will air per an agreement with Strikeforce.
Submitted Aug 18, 2008 6:33AM by DCRage - 2 comments
Filed under: StrikeForce
 
Nate Quarry Injured in Freak Acciedent
(fcfighter.com)
This might be old news, but I hadn't really heard much about Nate's injury. Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight Nate Quarry, who secured a place in the highlight reel of 2008 by chasing Kalib Starnes across the Octagon, is recovering from a freak accident a little over a month ago. Quarry was at a party in Albany, Oregon, where guests were hitting golf balls into a wooded area. Quarry walked straight into the backswing of a young woman, sending the club directly into his left eye. The force of the blow broke Quarry's Orbital Floor, a bone that keeps the eye in place. Doctors estimate the original cast member of “The Ultimate Fighter” will not be able to compete until November or December at the earliest. Despite the bad turn of luck, Quarry has been a good sport about the whole incident. “I’m just glad it was me and not some kid or other woman,” Quarry says. “We had grown men swinging these clubs. If it would have hit a kid or a woman, it would have smashed their face.” Quarry says the injury has stalled a search for a new opponent. A rumored UFC card in Portland is in the window of his recovery period, but he is not aware of any proposed match-ups. “It would be great to fight in Portland,” he says. “First, I have to heal up from this though.”
Submitted Aug 18, 2008 1:05AM by Wolfenstein - 13 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Heath Herring Contradicts Himself
(bloodyelbow.com)
There have been conflicting reports since the evening of weigh-ins for UFC 87 regarding whether or not Heath Herring or his team made disparaging remarks towards Brock Lesnar prior to their fight. Lesnar and UFC prez Dana White say there were, while Herring has denied saying anything derogatory about the former wrestler (or any of his previous opponents, for that matter). One thing which neither side has disputed to this point was the fact that Herring refused to walk out to the cage before Lesnar when asked by UFC execs. Herring even said as much on the August 12th episode of Sherdog's "Beatdown" radio show.
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 8:19PM by Wolfenstein - 0 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Quinton Jackson's arraignment delayed as investigation continues
(mmajunkie.com)
Quinton Jackson's scheduled arraignment last Friday on charges following his July arrest was postponed, as police and the Orange County District Attorney's office continue their investigation. The 30-year-old former UFC light heavyweight champion was arrested on July 15 on suspicion of hit-and-run driving, felony evading and reckless driving. A new arraignment date has not been scheduled. The delay could put a crimp in the UFC's plans to bring Jackson back to the Octagon as early as November, which, even in our lenient, second-chance society might be premature.
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 5:49PM by SmileR - 1 comment
Filed under: UFC
 
 
UFC Quick Quote: Patrick Cote will ‘take care of’ Anderson Silva on October 25
(mmamania.com)
“We know how to beat Anderson Silva. The only way to beat him is to push the pace. Go forward all the time…. You can’t let him get confident and comfortable in the centre of the Octagon. You have to push the pace for five minutes every round. If I do that, I can catch him. I’ll take care of him.” – Confident Cote strikes again — this time in the Edmonton Sun via Fight Network radio. The Canadian has been talking quite a good game leading up to his fight against 185-pound demon Anderson Silva at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” at the Allstate Arena in Chicago, Ill., on October 25. However, the “Spider” has demolished virtually ever fighter who has adopted the “in your face” strategy inside the Octagon. See James Irvin, Rich Franklin (twice), Nate Marquardt and Chris Leben.
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 5:22PM by SmileR - 25 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Gabe Ruediger Returning To MMA
(mmajunkie.com)
Former TUF 5 castoff Gabe Ruediger is preparing to return to MMA at a fundraiser event on August 30 in Santa Monica, California. Ruediger, coming off neck surgery earlier this year, will face Justin Wilson in a fight at 160 pounds.
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 9:46AM by DCRage - 17 comments
Filed under: Other MMA Organizations
 
Event poster for DREAM 6 on September 23 in Saitama, Japan
(mmamania.com)
Official DREAM.6 event poster, featuring the four Middleweight GP finalists (Jacare, Galesic, Mousasi, Manhoef), Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Jason "Mayhem" Miller, Ikuhisa Minowa, Sergei Kharitonov, Hayato "Mach" Sakurai (but no Nick Diaz) and Hideo Tokoro (who is scheduled to face Atsushi Yamamoto).
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 7:59AM by MMAcca - 2 comments
Filed under: Other MMA Organizations
 
Can Lightning Strike Twice For Affliction?
(mmaweekly.com)
It's been almost a month since Affliction's debut event and the buzz is still flying. Even though Affliction, on paper, spent a reported $3.3M on the roster for the first show, most fans believe it was a successful event. After all, Andrei Arlovski had possibly his best performance in years against Ben Rothwell. Josh Barnett was successful in his revenge victory against Pedro Rizzo. The main event, albeit short, grew Fedor Emelianenko's legacy even further with his 36-second demolition of former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia. With all of the success that Affliction had in its debut event, it needs to keep the momentum going. Pay-per-view buys will be crucial to the promotion's success. Affliction does have the backing of multi-billionaire Donald Trump to help its credibility. Affliction vice president Tom Atencio insisted that their debut event did over 100,000 pay-per-view buys, which would be considered a good start.
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 7:53AM by MMAcca - 9 comments
Filed under: Other MMA Organizations
 
Herring Moving On, Wants Rematch With Lesnar
(mmaweekly.com)
Heath Herring was convincingly defeated by Brock Lesnar at UFC 87 on Aug. 9 at the Target Center in Minneapolis by unanimous decision. Unhappy with his performance and the outcome, Herring looks to the future and would eventually like a rematch with the Division I collegiate wrestling champion and former World Wrestling Entertainment superstar. Herring had high expectations heading into the octagon against Lesnar, but was caught by a right hand in the opening moments of the bout that sent him and his expectations crashing to the canvas. "I think that shot pretty much changed the whole dynamic of the fight," said Herring. "I sure would like to know what would have happened if it hadn't landed." "Once that right hand landed it was like I was fighting half blind, or pretty much blind at that point. It was all pretty much downhill from there," explained the 30-year-old heavyweight. " I just tried to come back and mount some type of offense. Unfortunately, I was never able to mount anything that significant...After getting rocked with a shot like that, and not being able to see, you're more in survival mode."
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 7:51AM by MMAcca - 11 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Jared Shaw on Gary, CBS, and female MMA: "I don’t think it’s just the Gina Carano weight class anymore."
(mmayou.com)
Danny Acosta: Can you comment on Gary stepping down? Jared Shaw: What’s out there is the truth. That is Gary just had a lot going on between family, travel at his age, and his boxing. He’s got really spectacular fall cards: Alfredo Angulo fighting on the 4TH on HBO, you’ve got [Antonio] Tarver-Chad Dawson world title fight on Showtime in October, Sergio Mora contender fight with Vernon Forrest… DA: EliteXC was definitely steered by Gary’s vision, how will the direction of the company change now that he’s not involved? JS: I don’t think that’ll change at all. The production remains the same. You have Showtime and CBS as the platform and their people do a fantastic job at producing these shows and making them great for television. All the fights are still in tact, with the same matchmaking team, the same guys completely working for the promotion. We just don’t have the face, which was Gary. Right now we don’t have a face, but I like to think EliteXC the brand is the face.
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 3:59AM by MMAcca - 4 comments
Filed under: EliteXC
 
UFC 91 - “Rampage” Jackson vs Wanderlei Silva
(mmabay.co.uk)
Mmabay have learned from a very reliable source that the main event for the yet to be announced November show, UFC 91, will be between former UFC light heavyweight champion, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Wanderlei “The Axe Murderer” Silva. Although no location has been determined for the event to take lace at this time, the UFC have been busy in putting together one of the biggest and most anticipated matches in UFC history. Both have aspirations of getting into the title mix and this fight, although very dangerous for both will greatly propel the winner up the ranks for a possible shot next year. Although coming off a loss and suffering personal problems, Jackson is back in the gym with a new trainer and working hard to be in shape for this one. He will need to be, as he’s faced Silva twice before and was dominated both times. Silva himself has seemingly shaken his losing streak with the kind of performance we are used to against Keith Jardine in May, knocking him out in the first round.
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 3:56AM by MMAcca - 35 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Von Flue, Lighty Win at PureCombat
(mmaontap.com)
Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Jason Von Flue snapped a four-fight losing streak with a first-round submission of Bryson Kamaka at PureCombat’s “Hardcore” event, which took place Friday night at the Visalia Convention Center in California. Even though Von Flue came away as the victor, it was Kamaka that looked to have the fight in hand from the start. Kamaka dropped Von Flue with a right halfway through round one and followed up with punches on the ground that prompted the referee to keep an extremely close eye on the action. However Von Flue survived the onslaught and dropped back for a kneebar, which forced Kamaka to tap out.
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 3:41AM by MMAcca - 2 comments
Filed under: Other MMA Organizations
 
Minowa Subs Frye at DEEP’s “Gladiator”
(mmaontap.com)
Ikuhisa Minowa was victorious again in his quest to become Japan’s most successful open-weight fighter, submitting fellow longtime veteran and cult hero Don Frye with a first-round kneebar in the main event of DEEP’s “Gladiator” show this morning at the Momotaro Arena in Okayama, Japan. After stuffing Minowa’s first takedown attempt, Frye quickly found himself on his back at the start of the bout. Minowa immediately dropped back for a heel hook and locked in the hold, but was unable to force Frye to tap. Minowa eventually switched to a kneebar, which after a few moments, finally forced Frye to give up. In a team battle between fighters from Korea and Japan, it was Korea that came away with a 4-1 victory. Notable bouts saw UFC veteran Michihiro Omigawa drop a unanimous decsion to Chul Hyun Jung while Jutaro Nakao picked up the lone win for the Japanese, defeating Yong Fun Lee via second-round TKO.
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 3:40AM by MMAcca - 2 comments
Filed under: Other MMA Organizations
 
ATT Loses Top Trainer Andre Benkei
(fightline.com)
André Benkei has decided to leave one of MMA's most prestigious fight camps, American Top Team, due to ideological differences. Benkei informed Brazilian site Tatame.com of his decision this earlier this afternoon. “I left the team because of some idealogical disagreements with ATT head coach, Ricardo Libório. I had no trouble with the Dan Lambert or Conan Silveira”, said Benkei told Tatame. Benkei stated many of the fighters at ATT will continue to work with him at Prime Time.
Submitted Aug 17, 2008 3:38AM by MMAcca - 0 comments
Filed under: General MMA
 
RSS
Archive  
 
  » October 2014
  » September 2014
  » August 2014
  » July 2014
  » June 2014
  » May 2014
  » April 2014
  » March 2014
  » February 2014
  » January 2014
  » December 2013
  » November 2013
  » October 2013
  » September 2013
  » August 2013
  » July 2013
  » June 2013
  » May 2013
  » April 2013
  » March 2013
  » February 2013
  » January 2013
  » December 2012
  » November 2012
  » October 2012
  » September 2012
  » August 2012
  » July 2012
  » June 2012
  » May 2012
  » April 2012
  » March 2012
  » February 2012
  » January 2012
  » December 2011
  » November 2011
  » October 2011
  » September 2011
  » August 2011
  » July 2011
  » June 2011
  » May 2011
  » April 2011
  » March 2011
  » February 2011
  » January 2011
  » December 2010
  » November 2010
  » October 2010
  » September 2010
  » August 2010
  » July 2010
  » June 2010
  » May 2010
  » April 2010
  » March 2010
  » February 2010
  » January 2010
  » December 2009
  » November 2009
  » October 2009
  » September 2009
  » August 2009
  » July 2009
  » June 2009
  » May 2009
  » April 2009
  » March 2009
  » February 2009
  » January 2009
  » December 2008
  » November 2008
  » October 2008
  » September 2008
  » August 2008
  » July 2008
  » June 2008
  » May 2008
  » April 2008
  » March 2008
  » February 2008
  » January 2008
  » December 2007
  » November 2007
  » October 2007
  » September 2007
  » August 2007
  » July 2007
  » June 2007
Categories