Versus Denies Report It Engaged in Preliminary Talks With Bellator
Yesterday in an article about the WEC, I linked to a report by Jonathan Snowden at Heavy.com. In that report, Snowden claimed the following:
The Versus network, home to the WEC, was so worried that the promotion was leaving that they opened up tentative talks with Bellator, the Latino friendly group looking for a home after leaving ESPN Deportes earlier this year. As unhappy as WEC fighters are, it's nothing compared to Bellator's woebegone warriors. The promotion will be in a holding pattern through March at the earliest and in the meantime many fighters are desperate to make ends meet.
UFC Quick Quote: Vitor Belfort is coming for Anderson Silva
“Vitor is a different person now. He really is. He’s not that spoiled kid that we saw back in the day when he was building his career and got ahead of himself. His head is in the game, he’s very focused and he’s very secure with where he is in the game right now. Rich Franklin is no easy competitor. That told us right there where he’s at. We’re coming after Anderson Silva and that belt!”
– Xtreme Couture trainer Shawn Tompkins talks to FightHype.com about the future of Vitor Belfort in the middleweight division — specifically his place in line for the 185-pound crown, currently held by fellow Brazilian Anderson Silva.
Thiago Alves: Beware of the new 'Pitbull" on Dec. 5
“You’re gonna see a different Pitbull. You didn’t see my wrestling and my ground game, because I didn’t have an opportunity to use it, and I feel that my career started after this last fight… I grew up a lot as a person and as a fighter, I’m recharged and I’ll get what I want, the belt. I’ll fight at December 5. I have an opponent, but I can’t say yet.”
Former number one welterweight contender Thiago Alves talks about his rebirth as a complete fighter following his five-round unanimous decision loss to 170-pound kingpin Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100
Surprise leads Vera to opportunity
Last Saturday night, light heavyweight Brandon Vera got an unexpected call.
His management asked him if he was training. He said yes. His management asked him to train harder—he was going to be fighting November 14 on a main event.
“I was like, ‘no I’m not,’” recalls Vera. “’I’m not fighting November 14th, you’re trippin.’” (My management) was like, ‘you’re going to fight Randy Couture.’”
“Hmmm,” Vera said. “Let me call you back.”
Escydero Happy to Show Hands in UFC Win
"There is always a huge amount of pressure on anyone who has won “The Ultimate Fighter" reality show, but when Efrain Escudero stepped into the Octagon at UFC 103 last Saturday night he had a whole new level of intensity to work through.
Escudero drew arguably one of the toughest opponents any Ultimate Fighter winner has drawn in his first fight out. He matched up with American Top Team fighter Cole Miller, who held a 4-1 UFC record heading into their bout. "
State Investigating CSAC; Chairman Resigns
"Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento), president pro tempore of California’s state Senate, announced Thursday that he would not allow confirmation votes for California State Athletic Commission members Timothy Noonan and Peter Lopez to proceed, thus ending their tenure by the end of the year.
The news comes from the Los Angeles Times, which reported last week that California’s ethics agency, the Fair Political Practices Commission, had opened an investigation regarding CSAC members using their positions to secure free admission for family and friends to events they were entrusted to regulate."
Yuji Hoshino vs. Marlon Sandro added to Segoku 11th Battle
Hishino, a DEEP and Pancrase veteran, fights for the first time for World Victory Road. The 34-year-old brings an 11-fight unbeaten streak into the bout a run that includes eight wins and three draws. The eight-year veteran has earned eight of his career wins by stoppage and counts Nate Marquardt, Chris Lytle, Shonie Carter and Satoru Kitaoka among his career losses.
Sandro looks to rebound from the first loss of his career. The Nova Uniao-trained fighter dropped a close split-decision to Michihiro Omigawa at August's "Sengoku Ninth Battle."
Strikeforce and American Forces Network reach deal
Strikeforce and Showtime Sports on Thursday announced a deal that will put MMA events on the American Forces Network.
The deal, which provides live event broadcasts, kicks off with the broadcast of tonight's "Strikeforce Challengers: Kennedy vs. Cummings" event at the SpiritBank Event Center in Bixby, Okla.
Tonight's headliner Tim Kennedy, a Special Forces soldier who has served tours of duty in Middle East, will be one of many fighters featured on AFN, which is available to one million American service men and women worldwide.
AFN airs on bases in 175 countries and aboard 140 U.S. Navy ships at sea around the world.
"We are proud to be able to bring live Strikeforce events to the men and women of The United States Armed Forces," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker stated. "These are people that have dedicated their lives to protecting our country, so it's great to be able to give something back to them. And the timing couldn't be better. Having Army Ranger Tim Kennedy headline a terrific Challengers event is the perfect start."
Melvin Manhoef: F**k the Game Plan
With four words in the above video, Melvin Manhoef explains why he's such a popular K-1 and MMA fighter -- and why he's also a fairly limited fighter who wins plenty of fights by exciting knockout but also loses plenty of fights to more tactical opponents.
The four words: "F**k the game plan."
Weekend Primer: K-1's World Grand Prix 2009 Final 16
The K-1 World Grand Prix 2009 Final 16 will take place on September 26th at 3:30 AM EST live on HDNet from Seoul Olympic Park in Seoul, Korea. If you haven't been a fan of K-1 in the past because you've seen a few events that just didn't "click" with you, this is an event that could potentially sway you to the dark side with a fan like myself. Are you one of those casual fans that boos at UFC events because people are "hugging" and "humping"? Fall off the face of the earth, but first... watch the K-1 WGP 2009 Final 16. Do you love knockouts? That's probably a dumb question among fight fans, but K-1 will feed your hunger. Is Melvin Manhoef a god? Obviously this is a rhetorical question.
Lisa Marie Varon, Former WWE Diva, Ready to Become 'Next Brock Lesnar'
Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley have already proven that pro wrestlers, or at least a select few, can hang in mixed martial arts. Now Lisa Marie Varon, known as "Victoria" during her nine-year run in World Wrestling Entertainment, is poised to prove that WWE Divas can compete with the best female mixed martial artists as well.
Varon, who currently works for Total Nonstop Action wrestling as "Tara," recently announced her intention to make her MMA debut in the near future. And while she has not set a date, the 38-year-old told FanHouse that she would love to fight before the end of the year.
Trigg Dropped, Readded Over EA Video Game Involvement?
"The real reason Frank Trigg was dropped from his UFC contract and then quickly undropped? Dana White was furious when he found out Trigg was a part of the upcoming EA Sports MMA video game. White had decreed no one who had signed with EA, in competition with his own UFC games, would ever fight for his promotion. "
This explains a bit.
History and the Checkered Hero
"In the wake of his loss to Junior dos Santos, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic told the world that the places in his mind once filled with a focus on kicking opponents in the head had been replaced by thoughts of fishing in Privlaka.
Given the dismal turn the former K-1 standout's career has taken in the last two years, it comes as little surprise that he's thinking about calling it quits. Nonetheless, the stark and one-sided beating he took from the Brazilian heavyweight prospect last Saturday at UFC 103 has led to fans and pundits alike wondering how we came to this point, where MMA's formerly most feared striker has been relegated to a disappointing also-ran in a division he was supposed to reign over with impunity."
Is Condit Back on Track with a UFC Win?
"Former WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit has now officially nabbed his first win inside the Octagon. One of the prizes of the WEC, there was a lot of hype upon Condit’s original foray into the organization, when he headlined UFC Fight Night 18 this past April opposite of Xtreme Couture’s Martin Kampann, losing a close split-decision.
His most recent performance, another split-decision, this time in the New Mexico native’s favor, would prove to be one of Condit’s toughest test’s to date. He took on veteran Jake Ellenberger, whose list of victims read legend Jose Landi-Jons and UFC veterans Zach Light and Gil Castillo, all by way of knockout."
Bigfoot Silva in talks with the UFC
Brazilian heavyweight Antonio ‘Big Foot’ Silva (12-1) says he has received an offer of a contract from the UFC.
“I have a proposal from UFC but I have got to fight on Sep 23rd and there will be another fight left to accomplish my contract with Sengoku,” he told Brasil Combate. “Since the UFC wants exclusivity from the fighters I first need to finish up with Sengoku and after that I will study and see what is the best proposal over the table.”
'Big' John McCarthy "not surprised" at not getting NSAC license
Veteran referee ‘Big’ John McCarthy has revealed that he is not surprised that the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) has not yet awarded him a licence to officiate in Nevada. McCarthy applied for a license recently but the application has apparently been put on ice by the commission as part of a backlog of applications.
“I knew that was going to happen. I am not surprised at all,” said McCarthy today. He spoke to Fighters Only at Macau in China, where he is refereeing this weekend’s Art of War 14 event.
Cro Cop backtracks on retirement talk
Just hours after telling fans he was done fighting, Mirko ‘CroCop’ Filipovic appears to have done an about face and cancelled his retirement.
“Often things can get on top of you but I cannot say that I don’t love this sport,” he told Croatian newspaper Slobodna Dalmacija. “Its hard for me to decide now but I think that I will do these last two fights for UFC. This [fighting] thing is stronger than me. Sometimes the mind says yes but the heart says no.”