SURGERY PUTS PATRICK COTE OUT UNITL 2010
It is quickly approaching a year since Patrick Cote injured his knee in a failed attempt to capture the UFC middleweight belt from current champion Anderson Silva. And it is starting to look like it may approach a year-and-a-half before the Canadian is able to fight again.
U.S. OLYMPIAN DANIEL CORMIER HEADING INTO MMA
Two-time U.S. Olympian Daniel Cormier is the next decorated American wrestler to transition to MMA. Management group Zinkin Entertainment announced on Monday that Cormier has signed to join the ranks of a client list that includes Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin, Jon Fitch, Mike Swick, and other established mixed martial artists
DAN MILLER NOW SLATED TO FACE C.B. DOLLAWAY
The changes for the UFC Fight Night 19 card in Oklahoma City continue to roll in as MMAWeekly.com has confirmed with sources close to the fight that Dan Miller is now set to square off against C.B. Dollaway in a middleweight match-up.
Originally, Dan Miller was stepping in as a replacement for Ed Herman to face Arizona Combat Sports fighter Aaron Simpson. Herman had been tabbed to face Wilson Gouveia at UFC 102 in Portland.
New Frankie "The Answer" Edgar Interview
The Official Radio Partner of PunchDrunkGamer, TakeDown Wrestling Radio’s Scott Casber recently talked with the UFC’s Frankie Edgar. Scott and Frankie talk about Edgar’s recent win over Sean Sherk, his battle with Hermes Franca and the difference that his background and continued involvement in wrestling has made in his mixed martial arts career so far.
STRIKEFORCE: CSAC OKAYS JESSE TAYLOR TO REPLACE DIAZ
The California State Athletic Commission has approved Team Quest standout and “Ultimate Fighter” season 8 cast member Jesse Taylor to face Jay Hieron on Aug. 15 at Strikeforce “Carano vs Cyborg.”
CSAC Assistant Executive Officer Bill Douglas informed MMWeekly.com of the development Monday afternoon.
Anderson Silva Does Whatever a Spider Can
If Anderson Silva's deconstruction of Forrest Griffin didn't impress you enough, FightMetric offers up some pretty impressive stats:
* Silva landed 13 of 25 total strikes, for an accuracy percentage of 52%. Silva has still never had a fight in which he landed less than half his attempted strikes.
Scott Coker on Promoting Carano vs. Cyborg, Biggest Women's Fight Ever
When Gina Carano steps into the cage with Cristiane "Cris Cyborg" Santos Saturday night, the Strikeforce MMA promotion will be putting on what its CEO, Scott Coker, calls not just the biggest women's MMA fight ever, but the most significant women's competition in the history of any combat sport.
In an interview with FanHouse, Coker -- who has worked in martial arts most of his life -- spoke about the historical significance of Carano vs. Cyborg and why he made it the main event on an MMA show that otherwise features only male fighters. The full interview is below.
Strikeforce CEO confirms Diaz vs. Hieron bout in jeopardy, resolution may come today
Previous reports that Nick Diaz missed a scheduled pre-fight drug screen with the California State Athletic Commission on Friday were today confirmed by Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker.
The executive confirmed the report on today's media call promoting the Aug. 15 event, "Carano vs. Cyborg," and Coker also said Diaz is currently in the process of submitting a sample to the CSAC.
Coker said he expects word from the commission on Thursday as to whether Diaz will be cleared to face Jay Hieron for Strikeforce's vacant welterweight title at the Showtime-broadcast event – though if the welterweight fails to show the bout could be scrapped today.
Bill Douglas explains Nick Diaz situation
The upcoming bout between Nick Diaz and Jay Hieron on the main portion of the “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” event scheduled for August 15 is currently in extreme turmoil.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com recently had the opportunity to get the latest details on this unfolding story from California State Athletic Commission Assistant Executive Officer Bill Douglas. According to him this bout is not currently beyond saving, but it’s getting closer and closer to that point with every passing minute of the day.
Hello, Japan: Sengoku X Participants Revealed...? Plus, DEEP Adopts New Rules
An early promo clip has been released for September's Sengoku X, and aside from World Victory Road continuing to push their Olympic judokas, it's got a few interesting faces who I hadn't yet seen mentioned as participating. They include new Lightweight King of Pancrase Maximo Blanco (3-2-1, 1 NC), former "Super High School Student" and FWGP participant Tetsuya Yamada (3-1) and Wanderlei clone Fabio Silva (11-5). Of course, Satoshi Ishii is also featured in the video, but I don't think we'll see him fighting before New Year's, if then.
Thanks to Nightmare of Battle for the tip; head over there to check out the Sengoku Gold Cup South Korean qualifiers, as well as the "dark match" finals of the true Gold Cup from last week's Sengoku IX.
Fickle Fans and Fellow Fighters Turn on Forrest Griffin
MMA fans might be the harshest and most fickle in the sporting world. There is no better demonstration of the "what have you done for me lately mentality" than the way we have collectively turned on former favorite Forrest Griffin. For an example see the photo shop on the right which has been making the rounds in the BE comments, on the UG and the Sherdog boards
WEC 42 Fighter Payouts
The NSAC has revealed the official fighter payouts from last night's WEC 42 event. The total disclosed payouts was $234,500 with the biggest share-$25,000-going to main event loser Miguel Torres.
Next Up For Lashley: Ron Waterman
The next step up for Bobby Lashley likely won't be the big step his management was promising. Reports are the 4-0 Lashley will next face fellow one-time wrestler Ron Waterman, who spent some time in the WWF/E developmental system while also compiling a 16-6-2 MMA record. The fight is scheduled for October 3.
WEC's Miguel Torres: "It's going to be fun to get my belt back" from Brian Bowles
One look at former WEC bantamweight champ Miguel Torres' (37-2 MMA, 5-1 WEC) face was all it took to understand his feelings.
Seated in an unfamiliar position on the losers' side of the table at Sunday's "WEC 42: Torres vs. Bowles press conference, Torres blankly stared at the gathered media, most of whom appeared as shocked as the former champ that Brian Bowles (8-0 MMA, 5-0 WEC) had defeated – nay, destroyed – the seemingly unbeatable Indiana native.
"In this sport, one shot can change everything," Torres said. "There's no excuses for what happened."
Strikeforce adds five prelim matchups, "Carano vs. Cyborg" now complete for Aug. 15
With just five days remaining until Strikeforce conducts four championship bouts live on Showtime, the California-based organization has finally released the evening's full schedule for "Carano vs. Cyborg."
Strikeforce today announced the matchups, including a previously rumored heavyweight contest between Mike Kyle (12-6-1) and Fabricio Werdum (11-4-1).
"Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" takes place Aug. 15 at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. The main card airs on Showtime.
Anderson Silva's Dominance Produces a New Set of Interesting Questions
Anderson Silva wasn't lying when he stated that he's years ahead of the competition. At UFC 101 on Saturday, he showed the world exactly why he's one of the most feared strikers in the sport by dismantling former UFC Light Heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin in 3 minutes and 23 seconds. It looked to be a walk in the park for the UFC Middleweight champion.
It was fairly evident in the week leading up to this tilt that Forrest Griffin was being highly over-valued as a legitimate challenger to Silva. While a lot of fans agreed that Griffin's size could be a legitimate problem, it almost works to every challenger's disadvantage in the light heavyweight division. Speed is what kills competition in MMA, and the same case is made in boxing as well. Unfortunately, Griffin didn't have the game plan to stifle that speed.