Frank Mir confirms he would rematch Brock Lesnar
Speaking to Setanta Sports News, Mir said:
“I’d rather fight Brock than Randy. Randy has been dealing with MMA for a lot longer and he knows how to fight off submissions to a greater degree than Brock does.”
“Brock’s only trained for two or three years. I’ve been doing it a lot longer. But Randy’s ability to stop my submissions would be about the same as my ability to stop his takedowns.”
“He’s been wrestling for 18 years - I’ve been doing martial arts since I was four, so I’ve been practicing for 25 years. For him to catch up on the submissions game is going to be one heck of a feat.”
M-1 strengthens its positions in MMA
Vadim Finkelstein started off with the following statement: "After some important negotiations several major agreements were reached, namely a strategic agreement with one of the major boxing promotion organizations of the North America Golden Boy Promotions, leading American clothing manufacturer in Affliction and with an American business magnate billioner Donald Trump. This alliance will have huge consequences for progress and evolution of MMA in the whole world."
Gomi-Kitaoka and Santiago-Misaki title fights headline Sengoku 7
Despite his loss to Sergey Golyaev earlier this month, prized World Victory Road lightweight Takanori Gomi (29-4) will meet the organization's grand prix winner, Satoru Kitaoka (23-8-9), at Sengoku 7 for the WVR lightweight title.
Additionally, middleweight grand prix winner Jorge Santiago (20-7), who's quietly amassed as eight-fight win streak, will meet stand-out Kazuo Misaki (21-8-2) for the organization's first-ever middleweight championship.
Pro Elite attempts to stop CBS and Showtime public auction
We reported earlier this week about the intentions of Showtime Networks Inc. to host a public auction on November 17 with whatever remains of Pro Elite Inc., including the video library, fighter contracts and other items.
Pro Elite Inc. was indebted to the premium cable network to the tune of 6.3 million dollars, which was accumulated through various loans. Showtime is apparently under the impression that because Pro Elite defaulted on the loans that the company has the right to take possession of its most valuable assets moving forward.
Pro Elite, however, sees it differently. In fact, according to the Media Daily News the organization plans to take legal action to try and stop the auction from happening.
WEC 36 Fighter Payouts Revealed
The fighter payouts from WEC 36 were obtained and revealed today. The total disclosed payouts were $287,000 with the biggest share going to Chael Sonnen thanks in part to Paulo Filho-$48,750. Sonnen got 25% of Filho's pay.
WEC 36 Medical Suspensions Announced
The Florida State Boxing Commission today handed out medical suspensions from WEC 36. New Featherweight Champion Mike Brown leads the pack and paid a price in winning the title-he's suspended indefinitely.
Promoter’s Spotlight: Maximum Fighting Championship
I have talked a lot on this website about mismanagement in MMA and have been somewhat vindicated by recent events within the industry. However, while I remain convinced that there is no need to panic, some are still sitting on the fence.
As a result, I have set out to demonstrate that there is a right way of doing things in MMA and that there exist a host of successful organizations within North America.
Thus, I present to you the first MMAPayout.com Promoter’s Spotlight on Maximum Fighting Championship (MFC). I was fortunate enough to sit down with the President of Maximum Fighting Championship, Mark Pavelich, to learn more about his fledging promotion.
Gina Carano And Cris Cyborg Will Sign Together
Former EliteXC fighters Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg are in negotiations to make sure that their next fight is with each other, we can exclusively reveal.
Speaking to Fighters Only correspondent Stash Capar this week, Carano said the match “is a dream fight”.
“I want to make that happen,” she said. “My people are in touch with her, so we’re going to make sure we sign together for the same promotion.”
However, Xtreme Couture athlete Carano hinted that wherever her and Cyborg end up signing, fledgling Affliction promotion could be out of the running thanks to the recent fallout between Todd Beard and Randy Couture.
“There’s a bit of a barrier between me and Affliction,” she revealed. “You know, with Randy and that whole thing. But if they approach me with an offer, who knows?”
Carano’s more immediate concern is the imminent auction of EliteXC assets, announced shortly after the promotion ceased operations.
“I don’t really know what’s happening. I think Elite XC’s gonna sell all of the fighters contracts, mine included. It’s a standstill,” she sighed.
“But when one door closes, another one opens. I’m sure we’ll find a new platform for female fights. It’s definitely proven to be popular.”
Three fighters issued UFC 90 medical suspensions
The Illinois State Athletic Commission recently issued medical suspensions to a total of three fighters who competed at last month's UFC 90 event, the commission confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Among those shut down was headliner Patrick Cote, who suffered a knee injury during a third-round TKO to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.
UFC 90 took place Oct. 25 at Allstate Arena just outside Chicago.
It was the UFC's first-ever event in the state of Illinois, which only recently began regulating MMA events.
Cote, who last longer than any other of Silva's UFC opponents, ultimately dropped to the mat in the first minute of the third round. While lunging forward, his knee buckled, and he re-aggravated a past injury. Cote has been suspended 45 days and can have no contact for 30 days, though he could be sidelined longer depending on the nature of his injury.
Additionally, heavyweight Fabricio Werdum was suspended 60 days (no contact for 45 days) following his stunning first-round TKO loss to UFC newcomer Junior de Santos on the night's televised main card.
Finally, preliminary-card fighter and late replacement Drew McFedries was suspended 30 days following his first-round submission loss to Thales Leites. McFedries tapped out from a rear-naked choke 78 seconds into the fight.
Joe Stevenson motivated to defeat Kenny Florian at UFC 91 thanks to BJ Penn loss
“I still think about [the loss to BJ Penn]. I have to. It’s what keep me motivated and makes me train harder. If we don’t remember our past, we can’t go forward. I have a Hawaiian wife man. She brings it up every time we argue…. I’m fighting to be a champion. I want that belt; there is no other reason. I’ve fought for free and I’ll probably fight for free before I die again, but I’m going to bring it.”
Luis Cane wants to fight the best … like Keith Jardine
“Maybe they put me against (Keith) Jardine, a tough fighter, another Top 10, but I won’t choose opponents. I’ll wait for Joe Silva decide who I’ll fight and I’m sure it won’t be easy, they’ll put me another great fighter and that’s what I want. I’m ready for that and I want to be between the best.”
– Luis Cane tells Tatame.com that he is ready to challenge the top fighters in the UFC light heavyweight division. “Banha” destroyed Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou via second round technical knockout at UFC 89: “Bisping vs. Leben” just last month. It was his second straight win — the Brazilian heel stopped Jason Lambert at UFC 85: “Bedlam” back in June. His only loss is to James Irvin, which was ruled a disqualification because of an errant knee to the face. The 27-year-old fighter is tough as nails and comes prepared to bang, making any match up with a top 205-pound competitor a juicy one.
Filho Moving To LHW
Paulo Filho says that his loss to Chael Sonnen at WEC 36 will do him good and imbue him with “a new spirit”.
Filho was undefeated in sixteen fights before dropping a points decision to Sonnen after a sluggish and outright bizarre performance that at one point saw him talking to himself and repeatedly looking over his shoulder.
Speaking to Brazilian MMA magazine Tatame, he said: ”The fact is that I have no excuses, he went in there and did his job to neutralize me and that’s what happened.”
He added that suffering his first professional defeat was “sad – but it was good to give me a new spirit”.
Following the loss, Filho – who failed to make weight for the middleweight clash - is now looking at a move to light-heavyweight and is also planning a move to Los Angeles.
Spike Offers 5 TUF Fights For Kimbo
Pun apparently intended. Taking their cue from UFC President Dana White, who recently said Kimbo Slice was more than welcome to be a loser on "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show, Spike TV recently released a list of TUF fighters they believe should be the first to introduce Slice to the UFC--or at least its leather glove as it smashes his face.
Sonnen Thrown Off By Filho's Tactics
Chael Sonnen traveled to Hollywood, Fla. with the goal of winning the World Extreme Cagefighting middleweight title and avenging a previous loss to Paulo Filho. He avenged the loss, but left the "Sunshine State" without the belt.
Originally scheduled as a five-round title bout, the fight was relegated to a three-round non-title match after Filho failed to make weight. Sonnen was disappointed that his title shot ended when Filho stepped on the scales, but he tried to remain focused on the fight. "It was heartbreaking. It really hurt me alot. And I sort of went through the denial phase to make it through the 24 hours," Sonnen said at the post-fight press conference.
"I even kind of had to lie to myself in order to put it out of my mind. But I worked really hard and I wanted to get that championship," added the 31-year old fighter. "I can't spin it any other way. It really hurt."
Faber Wants Another Shot
Since the purchase of World Extreme Cagefighting by Zuffa in 2006, “The California Kid” Urijah Faber had become the top star in the promotion because of his exciting style and relentless aggression, but on Wednesday night the king dropped his crown as Faber lost his 145lb title to Mike Brown.
After the fight was over, Faber made no excuses for the loss, which was on the 2nd of his career and the first loss for him since September 2005.
“Unfortunate, lost the belt tonight, got caught with a solid punch and TKO’ed first round,” Faber stated. “I’d rather go out in a blaze of glory than wither away. I’ll be back, I’ll be back for sure.”
Following his performance, Faber had a chance to review the fight tape and also stated that he hasn’t been rocked in a fight like that since the only other loss in his professional career to Tyson Griffin.
New WEC champ Mike Brown plotting his opportunity to validate title
Less than 24 hours after literally shocking the MMA world, new WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown (20-4 MMA, 2-0 WEC) is nursing an injury that will keep him out of action in the immediate future.
But while may fighters would relish the opportunity to celebrate a recent defeat of the widely regarded No. 1 fighter in the world in their weight class, Brown is already plotting his chance to show the world his victory over Urijah Faber at "WEC 36: Faber vs. Brown" was no fluke.
"A lot of people feel that you're not the champ until you've defended the belt at least once," Brown today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "And I feel like that's pretty accurate. You've got to be the champ and kind of hold your ground and show what got you there. So I'm ready to do that, and really put myself as a true champ and a not a one-hit wonder."
Brown entered Wednesday night's main event as a 3-to-1 underdog by most Las Vegas wagering lines. And judging by the comments of most experts and fans in the MMA community, Brown's chances were far less against "The California Kid" and his 13-fight win streak.
BJJ Phenom Robert Drysdale Leaving BJJ, Submission Wrestling for MMA
I had the pleasure of talking to Robert Drysdale yesterday. He's more than just the grappling coach for Frank Mir's team on this season of TUF. He's won a ton of BJJ titles and beat Marcelo Garcia at last year's ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship to take the Open Division title.
The buzz around Drysdale has been building all year. First he joined Xtreme Couture as part of their pro team and jiu jitsu coach. Then Robert made his amateur mma debut in October against the previously undefeated Josh Musick (8-0) in the main event of "TUFF-N-UFF", winning by submission.
He looked good in the match, using a punch to set up his takedown and not getting flustered when his first submission attempt didn't finish the fight.
One of the reasons I'm most excited about Drysdale entering MMA is that he's one of the grapplers who are one the cutting edge of the sport. Along with Eddie Bravo and Marcelo Garcia, Drysdale is one of the grapplers making major conceptual leaps in his approach to BJJ. His Nth Dimension of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu DVDs are highly recommended by our own Luke Thomas. This introductory segment is worth a viewing -- he explains how he has abandoned the traditional BJJ approach of using position to set up submissions and instead focuses on using submission threats to achieve dominant postion. And his bodylock family of submissions is something totally new to me -- I can't wait to see him bust it out in an MMA match.
CSAC Suspends ProElite's Promoter's License
Pro Elite/Elite XC’s and King of the Cage’s licenses are suspended. They were suspended yesterday, when after looking into the matter carefully the exact situation was determined. However, it is not due to any type of contracts.
The primary reason that Pro Elite/Elite XC’s and King of the Cage’s licenses have been placed on suspension is because of their financial states and the fact that Pro Elite, the owner of King of the Cage, has suspended operations and their tangible and intangible assets are being auctioned on November 17.
CALIFORNIA STATE ATHLETIC COMMISSION
Armando Garcia, Executive Officer