Miller Camp Disappointed After Bout Cancelled
Chicago middleweight Mark Miller was devastated by the cancellation of his fight with Deray Davis on the undercard of Fedor vs. Rogers Saturday night.
Miller and Davis were scheduled to face off on the undercard of the promotion’s CBS network debut but were informed after the main event that the bout was off.
Dino Costeas, Miller’s trainer, on Monday said the Miller camp was told the fight would be moved to a slot on the main card soon after the final undercard fight between Marloes Coenen vs. Roxanne Modaferri began and waited from 3:45 that afternoon to hear back from Strikeforce officials.
Miguel Torres: Training with boxer Miguel Cotto an "eye-opening" experience
Torres was once a winner of 17 straight bouts and the virtually invincible World Extreme Cagefighting 135-pound champion. Consecutive win No. 18 and the fourth defense of his title were givens at WEC 42 in August against the undefeated yet largely unknown Brian Bowles. Little was expected out of Bowles, The HardCore Gym product, a heavy underdog armed with a weapon that wasn't so much a secret. Torres knew about Bowles' cannon of a right hand and said all he had to do was avoid it.
Torres exploded late into the first round with a combination of punches until Bowles broke out the weapon , caught Torres and sent him to the canvas. It was the first of 13 unanswered blows that concluded the WEC's biggest upset since Mike Brown stunned Urijah Faber to win the featherweight crown.
Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski in the works for UFC 110 in February
A light heavyweight bout between "The Ultimate Fighter 1" runner-up Stephan Bonnar (11-6 MMA, 5-5 UFC) and "TUF 8" cast member Krzysztof Soszynski (18-9 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is expected to take place in February at UFC 110.
The bout was first reported as a possibility by MMAWeekly, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) was told by a source close to the event that at least one competitor has been told bout agreements will be distributed this week.
UFC 110 takes place Feb. 21 at Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia.
The show, which takes place on a Sunday with a live North American showing on Saturday, marks the UFC's debut in Australia.
Bigfoot “proud of the fight” against Werdum
"I think both of us can be proud of the fight", Silva said, unhappy by letting the victory in judges’ hands. "I think that I won the first round, and I think that the second round was pretty close. I think he won the third round. I got tired, and I left it in the judges’ hands".
In the first round, Bigfoot almost got the TKO victory. "I was feeling very comfortable with my striking. I put him in trouble. I was feeling very good standing up game, so much so that I let him stand up", finished the Brazilian.
Filho explains his absence at Dream 12
The last two years has been complicated to Paulão Filho. After facing his first loss and face depression issues, Carlson Gracie’s black belt was dismissed from WEC and face the distrusted fans. The fight against Melvin Manhoef seemed to be the prove that Paulão was back, but the presentation against Alex Schoenauer on September, by Bitetti Combat 4, putted one more time a doubt on fans’ heads.
Nogueira vs. Velasquez Now Set For UFC 108
A heavyweight showdown between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez has been confirmed for UFC 108 in Las Vegas.
The possibility of the bout arose last week when Nogueira’s manager talked about the fight to SportTV. MMAWeekly.com has since been able to confirm the bout with multiple sources, who say it will happen on Jan. 2. ...
Coolio Replaces DMX In MMA Brawl
Ok first off not tolling here.
Second F'n hilarious.
Coolio will be replacing DMX in the anticipated MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) brawl that DMX backed away from last week.
As reported earlier, DMX was slated to jump in the ring against fighter Eric Martinez next month but the rapper pulled out citing safety concerns.
The promoter for the fight, Thunder Promotions, claimed that DMX wanted the fight fixed and they shot down his request.
According to TMZ, Coolio will now be taking on Martinez in Alabama on December 12th.
Thunder Promotions claims Coolio is taking the upcoming brawl ‘seriously’.
Henderson had "a few conversations" about employment status over Strikeforce weekend
Dan Henderson admits that there were “a few conversations about my employment status” while he was in town to corner Thierry Sokoudjou at the weekend’s Strikeforce event. “We might figure out a deal we might not, we’re still just waiting to see,” he said.
The comments were made during an interview with MMA Fanhouse reported Ariel Helwani, who asked Henderson what he thought of UFC president Dana White saying he was “1,000 percent” positive that Henderson had signed with Strikeforce.
“I can tell you that possibly Dana is misinformed sometimes and he is possibly a thousand percent misinformed,” Henderson laughed. “Anything’s possible right now, I am just hoping to get out there and fight again and get paid what I would like to get paid. I am not asking to be the top paid guy out there.”
Bisping looking to go back to his roots for Kang fight
Michael Bisping is looking to go back to his roots for Saturday night’s UFC 105 fight against Dennis Kang at the Manchester Evening News Arena in Manchester, England. The early days of his career saw Bisping plough through opponents in the first round and he is looking to hit the same kind of momentum against Kang.
“Mentally for this fight, I’ve got to come out there and push the pace,. My best performances in the past have been when I’ve come out and been the aggressor. So I’ve got to go back to that and back to my old self, if you will,” he told UFC.com
Brett Rogers' trainer wants shot at Overeem
Mike Reilly is proud of the way Brett Rogers fought Saturday, even if he came up short.
Rogers took a hard right hand to the chin from Fedor Emelianenko in the second round of their Strikeforce headliner on CBS and was unable to recover.
Mousasi's stock rising; welcomes fight with Hendo
Heading into Strikeforce on Saturday night, light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi was a huge favorite against former UFC fighter Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, but the fight had some great back and forth moments that challenged the 205-pound titleholder.
In the end, Mousasi was able to get the upper hand and finish off Sokoudjou in the second round. Following the fight, the champion remarked that he knew his opponent was tough and no one should have underrated him going into the bout. That said, Mousasi, who is now on the radar as one of the top fighters on the planet, misses the role of playing the underdog. A position he occupied just a couple of years ago before some huge wins burst him into spot he sits in today.
Preliminary CBS ratings for Strikeforce: "Fedor vs. Rogers" averages 3.79 million viewers
The preliminary ratings for the CBS broadcast of Strikeforce: “Fedor vs. Rogers” returned an estimated 3.79 million viewers for the prime time mixed martial arts event.
The 1.7 rating share for “Saturday Night Fights” was enough to reach number one in several key demographics; however, it did fall short of the high water mark set by YouTube sensation-turned Ultimate Fighter Kimbo Slice, who reached as high as 4.8 million viewers and 3.0 rating share on Elite XC: “Prime Time” back in May 2008.
The gogoplata guy: Even if retirement sticks, Brad Imes left his mark on MMA
When Brad Imes graduated high school, it would've been ridiculous for someone to suggest he would one day be known as a nimble heavyweight who would pull off one of the most unique and fascinating feats in all of mixed-martial-arts.
At the time, in June 1995, Imes was a 5-foot-10, 165-pound reserve football player in Columbia, Mo.
Within two years, Imes would be 6-feet-7 and 290 pounds. Even more, by the time he was a year out of the University of Missouri, where he walked on the school's football team before earning a scholarship as an offensive lineman, he cut his 40-yard dash time to 4.85 seconds and increased his vertical jump from 24 inches to 33 inches.
If you're looking for a reason why Imes recently pulled off two gogoplata submissions in consecutive fights — a seemingly impossible task, particularly in the heavyweight division of MMA — consider his growth. He was a flexible, quick football player who needed to grow into his body to be comfortable.
Because of it, Imes has become famous in the MMA world, almost like Bigfoot.
Fabricio Werdum: "It's my turn to fight Fedor"
“It’s my turn now. I have a lot of respect for Fedor. He is the best in the world. I already fought (Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion) Alistair Overeem in Japan. It’s my turn to fight Fedor. I believe in my techniques and if it goes to the ground, I believe in my jiu-jitsu.”
–Strikeforce heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum, who has a 2006 submission win over current Strikeforce division champion Alistair Overeem, believes his Nov. 7 win over Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva earned him the right to face Fedor Emelianenko in his next bout.
What Happened To Mark Miller vs. Deray Davis?
After the post-Fedor madness cleared from the cage we were told to get upstairs for the press conference and it was clear that the Miller/Davis fight wasn't taking place. I tried to ask the few executives I saw walking around for the story and no one seemed to know.
Mark Miller vs Deray Davis was canceled by fight organizers due to lack of time. A real un-cool decision. Both fighters prepared for this evening and were told with no advance noticed what-so-ever. At the moment they would be walking out on the floor for their match, Miller and Davis were informed that they were canceled! Fighters stood stand-by in shock trying to understand how this became their evening's destiny.
Strikeforce's Antonio Silva has no ill will toward judges' decision
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. – When the final decision was read – Fabricio Werdum earned a unanimous decision win over fellow heavyweight Antonio Silva by winning two rounds to one – the crowd at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Ill., reacted with a mix of boos and cheers.
Some felt the 29-28 scores were justified. Others booed the decision and felt Silva, who kicked off the night's CBS broadcast with a dominant first round, earned the win.
But one person you won't hear complaining about the decision is Silva.
Le vs. Smith official for "Strikeforce: Evolution" on Dec. 19
A potential middleweight slugfest first reported by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) is now official, as Strikeforce announced former 185-pound champion Cung Le (6-0) meets fellow striking enthusiast Scott Smith (16-6).
Le and Smith will headline the recently announced Dec. 19 event, "Strikeforce: Evolution" at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.
Tickets for the Showtime-broadcast event, which will go head-to-head with Zuffa, LLC's "WEC 45: Cerrone vs. Ratcliff," go on sale next week.