DAN LAUZON INJURED, OFF OF UFC 103 FIGHT CARD
Dan Lauzon is out of a scheduled bout with Rafaello Oliveira at UFC 103 in Dallas, according to MMAWeekly.com sources. Lauzon apparently suffered a back injury in training recently and will not be ready for the Sept. 19 event. He is expected to undergo an MRI in coming days to determine the full extent of the injury. No information on a possible replacement was yet available.
Carwin ready for Lesnar challenge
No one was more surprised than Shane Carwin to learn that his bout with Cain Velasquez was being scrapped in favor of an immediate title shot against UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar at UFC 106 in November.
"My manager called late, which is never a good sign," Carwin said. "He told me the news and I was shocked. I was half asleep when I got the call but I was excited and in shock all at the same time. I woke up my wife and I think she thought I was just messing around with her."
Is Nate Marquardt Really Ready for Demian Maia's Jiu Jitsu?
Obviously you have your fair share of submission wins, but is it even worth the risk for you to go to the ground with him?
"That's something I can't answer until I get in the fight, to be honest, because if the opportunity presents itself with him and we land there, and I feel comfortable and do some damage, I'm experienced enough that I'm not going to make some silly mistake and get caught in a triangle or something like that. The triangle that I have to worry about is the one he sets up. If I feel like he's setting stuff up, I'm going to try to get back to my feet, but if I'm doing damage, I'm going to keep doing damage."
Pat Miletich Says He Hasn't Signed a New UFC Contract ... 'Yet'
Over the weekend, Bloody Elbow noticed that Pat Miletich's profile was put back up on UFC.com. This led to speculation that the 41-year-old MMA veteran had re-signed with the UFC. Remember, prior to UFC 101 Miletich told FanHouse that he hoped to bury his long-standing grudge with UFC president Dana White.
On Monday, Miletich told FanHouse that he had not signed a new contract with the UFC "yet," but seemed very open to the idea of making his return to the Octagon in the near future. Of course, he also said the hatchet had been buried between both sides.
COUTURE READY TO FACE THE BEST NOGUEIRA
Five-time UFC champion Randy Couture can empathize with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira when critics say the former Pride and UFC champ is past his prime.
At 46, he’s made a career of bucking the trend, performing at peak ability long past the usual shelf life for combatants. At 33, Nogueira is battling his first crisis of confidence after years of come-from-behind fighting and a lackluster performance in December against Frank Mir.
Fans invited to Wednesday's Fedor Emelianenko open workout in New York City
Recent Strikeforce signee and famed heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko is the focus of an open workout, meet and greet, and autograph signing held this Wednesday in New York City.
The media and fan event is free and open to the public.
The event takes place at Fighthouse, located at 122 W. 27th St. (second floor) in the Big Apple, and begins at approximately 3:30 p.m. ET.
Dream.11 likely to include Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto and Tatsuya Kawajiri
An already-stacked DREAM.11 card could have two notable additions.
According to an event posted recently released by the Japanese-based promotion, Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto (17-2) and Tatsuya Kawajiri (24-5-2) will apparently be part of the Oct. 6 card.
DREAM.11, which airs on HDNet in North American, takes place at the Yokohama Arena in Kanagawa, Japan, and features the semifinals and finales of both DREAM's featherweight grand prix and open-weight "Super Hulk" tournament.
Cung Le Says He Isn't Done Yet
Talk to any contender in the Strikeforce middleweight division, and you'll find out pretty quickly that they all agree on one thing: Cung Le needs to defend his title, and he needs to do so sooner rather than later.
When FanHouse spoke to the organization's current 185-pound champion recently, he seemed eager to defend the title he won in March 2008, yet stopped short at saying exactly when that would happen. He also said he would consider vacating the title soon if his schedule doesn't allow him to compete again in the near future. Check out the full video interview below.
UFC Veterans Go DEEP Sunday: Chonan Wins, Mishima Loses Title
Sunday's DEEP 43 Impact event in Japan featured 2 former UFC stars in action, most notably the return to DEEP of recent UFC release Ryo Chonan. Chonan's return was a success, as he beat fellow UFC/PRIDE veteran Jutaro Nakao by decision, but DEEP Featherweight Champion Dokonjonosuke Mishima didn't fare as well, dropping a unanimous decision and the title to Takafumi Otsuka.
Aurelio Ready to Shine The Second Time Around
A skilled Brazilian Jiu-jitsu artist with 10 submission victories included in his 18-7 overall record, Aurelio heard critics after each of his UFC defeats once he opted to fight on the feet instead of using his abilities on the ground. Regarding this fact, the 36-year old American Top Team representative shakes his head in total agreement. And determined to show his real ground skills against Dunham, he has explored what he truly brings to the Octagon
Kenny Florian is ‘fired up,’ still wants BJs belt
“I’m still at the top of the division and in one or two fights I think I can put myself back into contention to fight for the belt again. In order to do that, I’m going to have to face some tough guys, but I’m motivated and excited with that possibility…. In no way, shape or form did (Keith) ever use [the eye poke allegation] as an excuse, and that’s definitely not the reason I lost. I lost because B.J. was the better fighter that night, simple as that…. It’s little things that I should have done better. For me, it’s basically, ‘stop talking and start doing.’ I just want to get back to training and refine everything and just get back in the cage. I’m just motivated and fired up to fight someone right now.”
Hoping for UFC 105, Hathaway awaits the call
“Were still waiting to hear about November, but if it’s not then I guess I will be fighting again in the New Year,” he explained. “No names have been mentioned to us, but I don’t mind at the moment. I have had some time off to rest and I have just started training again so there are plenty of things I can work on in the meantime.”
Chonan wins, Mishima losses at Deep 43
TOKYO -- Fan favorite Ryo Chonan made a triumphant return to his homeland, as he defeated Jutaro Nakao in the Deep “43 Impact” main event on Sunday at Korakuen Hall. Elsewhere, Dokonjonosuke Mishima lost his featherweight belt to Takafumi Otsuka, while Masakazu Imanari retained his bantamweight crown against Tomohiko Hori.
Sengoku 10: Antonio Silva vs Rons Sparks in the works
It has been several weeks since the World Victory Road officials have named Antonio Silva as one of the participants in Sengoku 10. Now, the undefeated super-heavyweight prospect, Ron Sparks, has surfaced as his potential opponent.
The announcement of Silva-Sparks comes at the heel of the confirmation of a series of bouts slated for Sengoku 10 that feature Nick Thompson, Ryan Schultz, and Dan Hornbuckle amongst others.
Don Frye breaks silence on "M-1 Breakthrough" withdrawal, blames organization for change
While the executives of M-1 Global are no strangers to controversy and criticism, the organization's upcoming "M-1 Global presents Breakthrough" took a hit when original headliner Don Frye backed out of his fight with Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal.
While M-1 Global CEO Joost Raimond immediately went on the offensive, issuing a press release that questioned Frye's motives for backing out, "The Predator" remained relatively silent on the subject.
That is, until now.
Petruzelli Returns To Action, Wins First Post-Kimbo Fight
In his first fight since he took down Kimbo Slice, and ultimately EliteXC, by TKO, Seth Petruzelli returned to action Saturday for the first time since that fight after a long layoff due to injuries and outside business ventures. He beat Chris Baten by KO at 2:23 of round 1at the Art Of Fighting 4 event in Tampa, FL.
MMA Goes 2-0 Against Boxing This Weekend
For a couple of MMA fighters, it was a good weekend of boxing. Both KJ Noons and Terry Martin had boxing matches this weekend and both came away with wins-Noons beat Randy Pogue by unanimous decision to improve to 11-2 career in boxing, while Martin beat Rayvon Wilson by 2nd round KO to improve to 2-0.
Nogueira’s coach: “Couture has no punch”
“We think that Couture will fight standing against him, and Rodrigo thinks that too. Rodrigo is 100% prepared standing. I always said that this fight were good to Rodrigo, because Couture has no punch to knock him out, and Rodrigo boxes better than him… Rodrigo is prepared in the ground too and will work to submit, because Rodrigo has everything to submit him”, explained the coach. “Our strategy is stay away from the fence”.
– Luiz Alves, the Muay Thai coach for Antonio Rodrigo Minotauro Nogueira, tells Tatame.com that his fighter is set to stand and trade with Randy Couture at UFC 102 because the “Natural” doesn’t pack much heat on his feet. He may be right — Couture doesn’t have a clean knockout on his resume in 25 career fights. But that hasn’t necessarily stopped him from handling (and defeating) the big dogs, including Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz, Pedro Rizzo and Kevin Randleman, among others. Will he add “Big Nog” to that list on Aug. 29? For the record: Nogueira has one knockout, and just one technical knockout, in 37 career fights.