Prangley Expected to Face Lawler at Evolution
American Kickboxing Academy standout Trevor Prangley is expected to face Robbie Lawler at Strikeforce: Evolution on Dec. 19 in San Jose, Calif.
Multiple MMAWeekly.com sources indicated the bout was all but signed. One source said Prangley, 37, is awaiting a bout agreement and is expected to sign as soon as Monday afternoon.
Lawler was rumored to face Melvin Manhoef, a bout long campaigned for by Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, but Manhoef is committed to fight on the Dream vs. Sengoku New Year’s Eve event against an opponent yet to be announced.
Strikeforce Signs Melvin Manhoef To Exclusive US Deal
Strikeforce has just put it's Middleweight division on notice: Start writing your wills. Their latest huge signing is one of the world's most feared strikers-"Marvelous" Melvin Manhoef. He's signed an exclusive multi-year US deal with the promotion, exact terms not disclosed. He could debut at the 12/19 event against Robbie Lawler, but that's not yet official.
UFC 110 Officially Announced, Will Be PPV
Confirming what had been expected for some time now, UFC officially announced UFC 110 for Australia today. The event will be Sunday, February 22, meaning with the time differences it will air Saturday, February 21 in the US, and as previously reported it will air on PPV. No fights were announced.
Ryan Bader vs. Keith Jardine for UFC 110 in Australia
A light heavyweight bout has been added to the UFC's first trip to the land down under as former "Ultimate Fighter" winner, Ryan "Darth" Bader, looks to keep his undefeated record in tact as he faces "The Dean of Mean" Keith Jardine.
The bout was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday by multiple sources close to the fight who indicated bout agreements have been issued for the upcoming fight.
Ryan Bader has looked strong in both of his fights since winning the "Ultimate Fighter" competition, most recently a unanimous decision victory over Eric "Red" Schafer. The former All-American from Arizona State showed some dangerous stand-up to compliment his impressive wrestling background to batter Schafer for the better part of the fight to get the win.
Now taking a step forward in competition, Bader sets his sights on Keith Jardine, who has been a perennially tough fighter always in or hovering around the top ten of the 205lb division.
Fedor Emelianenko and Gegard Mousasi? "King Mo" says bring it
While just five fights into his MMA career, multi-weight-class contender Muhammed Lawal (5-0) is already looking to take down some of the sport's best fighters.
A recent Strikeforce signee, Lawal recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that WAMMA heavyweight champ Fedor Emelianenko and Strikeforce light heavyweight title holder Gegard Mousasi were just two potential future matchups he thinks he could win.
But don't mistake Lawal's claims for cockiness. As the 28 year old preps for a bout with Mike Whitehead at "Strikeforce: Evolution" on Dec. 19, "King Mo" is just confident.
"I'm not overlooking anybody, but my plan is to beat Mike Whitehead, then keep on winning," Lawal said. "Any opponent, I'm not going to be like, 'Oh, it's going to be a tough fight.' I'm going to be like, 'I'm going to win.'
MMAmania.com Interviews Fedor Emelianenko
In the sport of mixed martial arts, five-time world champion Fedor Emelianenko still reigns supreme. After nearly a decade in the fight game this Russian heavyweight, simply now known to the world as "Fedor," still has an unblemished record.
He does, however, technically have one loss on his resume from the RINGS "King of Kings" Tournament that was held in December 2000 in his fight against Ysuyoshi Kohsaka.
He sustained a cut 17 seconds into the match from an unintentional (but illegal under RINGS rules) elbow strike -- a cut bad enough to warrant a doctor stoppage. In a non-tournament fight it would have been ruled a no contest or a disqualification victory for Fedor. This is precisely why many fans and media pundits still consider him undefeated.
Recently he recorded his 31st career victory with a dominating performance over Brett Rogers at the Strikeforce: "Fedor vs. Rogers" CBS event that will likely lead to a potential 2010 match-up against either Fabricio Werdum or current Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion Alistair Overeem.
"The Last Emperor" took some time out of his schedule to discuss his most recent fight against "The Grim" including what it was like fighting in a cage for the first time, if he felt he executed his game plan and whether or not he was in any real danger in the first round of the fight.
Check it out:
Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Do you feel like you executed your game plan against Brett Rogers? Did the fight play out like you anticipated?
Fedor Emelianenko: Yes, it sure did. The first round I was trying to see how he fights, which pace, how he stands and reacts, etc... to find his weak spot and then take advantage of it.
Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): When you were on your back in the first round and Rogers was raining down punches, how badly were you hurt and were you in real danger?
Manhunt Monday: Jonathan Koppenhaver
A man who trained to use choke-holds in the fighting ring is accused of beating and choking his girlfriend.
According to Metro, 28-year-old Jonathan Koppenhaver got into a violent fight with his girlfriend and attempted to strangle her.
He also has a record that includes obstructing a police officer and possession of a stolen firearm.
Koppenhaver is a white adult male standing 5'11" tall and weighing 185 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes.
His last known address was in the 5000 block of West Hacienda in Las Vegas.
Koppenhaver goes by the names "War Machine" and "War Hammer," and also has a very distinctive hand grenade tattoo on the left side of the neck
Metro says Koppenhaver should be considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 385-5555.
Josh Koscheck vs. Paulo Thiago II Being Targeted for UFC 109
The UFC is targeting a welterweight rematch between Josh Koscheck and Paulo Thiago at UFC 109 on Feb. 6. FanHouse learned of the potential fight on Tuesday, but the bout has yet to be made official by the organization.
Thiago defeated Koscheck in a stunning upset at UFC 95 last February via first round TKO in the Brazilian's Octagon debut. Since then, Thiago has gone 1-1 in the UFC, losing to Koscheck's teammate, Jon Fitch, at UFC 100 and beating Jacob Volkmann UFC 106 in November.
Meanwhile, Koscheck was also victorious at UFC 106 against Anthony Johnson. The American Kickboxing Academy product also picked up a win over Frank Trigg at UFC 103 since the loss to Thiago.
Following Koscheck's victory over Johnson, he told Joe Rogan in the post-fight interview that he deserved a title shot against 170-pound champion Georges St-Pierre next, not current No. 1 contender, Dan Hardy.
"I'm the No. 1 freaking contender in this weight division, right here," he said.
The UFC 109 event has yet to be made official by the organization, but it is expected to take place Super Bowl weekend at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Other fights rumored to be on the card include Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman and Frank Trigg vs. Matt Serra.
Alistair Overeem: Compared to MMA, K-1 is easy
"Though they look similar, they are totally different sports. There is no fighter who holds the top title in both [K-1 and MMA]. If the other top eight K-1 fighters fought me in MMA, I would beat them in two or three minutes. It's a different arena. Anyway, K-1 isn't my ultimate goal. It's a side road. A checkpoint. I just want to have fun. If it's not, I'll just go back to MMA. MMA is a tough sport. There are five, five-minute rounds, and you have stand-up and ground techniques. You have not only punches, but you get kneed in the face repeatedly. Then K-1 is three, three-minute rounds. PRIDE had 10 minutes per round, right? Even with conditions like that, I am one of the top fighters. Compared to that, K-1 is easy."
Maybe Vitor Belfort Won't Leapfrog Nate Marquardt For Title Shot After All
When it was initially announced that Vitor Belfort was getting the next crack at UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva, everyone from Ed Soares to Belfort himself acknowledged that this was at least partially bullshit. The good news is that, with Anderson Silva still sidelined due to a lingering injury, Belfort looks like he'll get his chance to prove he deserves the shot in a top contender bout with Nate Marquardt. Think of it as a rare instance of an injury pullout by a UFC champ resulting in a fight that probably makes more sense than the original title contest. When you think about how often this type of thing has been happening to the UFC of late, it only makes sense that sooner or later it would have to turn out to be a blessing in disguise. That's just the law of averages at work.
Junior dos Santos waiting for an opponent
With Gonzaga’s left, Junior’s presence is a doubt, but the heavyweight wants to stay on the card, scheduled to January 2. “I’m waiting an UFC proposal, but probably they will put someone else on his place. As the most of the heavyweights are sick or have scheduled fights, there are few fighters to put, but I believe that they will find someone (laughs)“, Junior said, analyzing the possible opponents.
“I’ll tell you, I was thinking about that“, reveals, laughing. “UFC has no options. Cain Velasquez might fight Rodrigo (Nogueira) in February, it looks like (Shane) Carwin went on surgery on his hand, I don’t know. There are some new guys on the UFC, but we hope that they match with someone more known on UFC“.
Still Healing: Nogueira Fighting Staph Battle
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, the only man to hold both UFC and Pride heavyweight titles, spoke with Sherdog.com while he was in Las Vegas to watch his brother fight at UFC 106.
Now scheduled to face Cain Velasquez at UFC 110 in Australia on Feb. 21, Nogueira explained the reason for his withdrawal from the original Jan. 2 date.
Check out this exclusive video to watch the former champ discuss his on-and-off battle with multiple staph infections over the past year.
He also discusses the possibility of fighting for a potential interim title should champion Brock Lesnar remain sidelined for the foreseeable future.
Sadollah vs. Blackburn Likely For UFN 20 Main Card
Virginia native Amir Sadollah likely will get a chance to fight in front of the hometown fans in January. He reportedly has agreed to face Brad Blackburn at UFN 20 in Va. on January 11, paperwork pending. The slot was left open after Mike Guymon vs. Rory MacDonald was added to the prelim card Monday.
Matt Hughes Says Next Fight Could Be 4/10
Although the original plan was for Matt Hughes to next fight in UFC in February, possibly at UFC 109 or 110, he now says his next fight will be April 10. No UFC event is set for that date, so presumably that's UFC 112. Hughes hasn't fought since beating Matt Serra in July.
Diaz will still fight in Cali, but Florida on tap
Nick Diaz will not be deterred by the California State Athletic Commission’s formal stance on medical marijuana.
Diaz’s manager, Cesar Gracie, said Monday that his fighter would continue to fight in the Golden State, though perhaps not as often.
“Just when he gets licensed, he probably shouldn’t smoke,” said Gracie. “That’s my advice to him. If you’re going to fight, don’t smoke. Besides that, there are a lot of states in the country. He could go fight in Japan. He could fight wherever he wants.”
Brett Rogers wants to strip Alistair Overeem
"[Fedor] is certainly the best heavyweight in the world. But he does have weaknesses. We all do – isn’t that what makes champions great -- they win even with weaknesses? They win even though they can be beat? He is not a machine.... I want to fight soon, and I want to fight Alistair. I’m 100% healthy and took zero damage in the fight; so I’m ready to go right now. As I said Strikeforce is my home; I love Strikeforce and in my opinion Alistair holding the title belt is an insult to every fighter in this organization, every fan and to Scott Coker. Champions defend their titles. And either Scott strips him and real fighters battle for it; or I will take it off him the hard way."
Brett Rogers reflects on his recent knockout loss to Fedor Emelianenko and is eager to put it behind him and get back inside the cage sooner rather than later. He's wants to mix it up with Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion, Alistair Overeem, saying that the Dutch fighter -- who has never defended his belt since defeating Paul Buentello to capture it more than two years ago -- needs to get busy or get out.