Marc Goddard Retires From MMA and Becomes UFC Referee
For the majority of you who don't know him, Marc was supposed to be fighting his final fight last weekend, but pulled out due to his close friend and fellow fighter Ross Mason nearly being killed, he's helping Ross' wife and children get through this very difficult time, Leon Roberts who many of you may have seen on Cage Rage is also now becoming a UFC referee................it's a nice and almost moving read
"As the title says really. I am now completely 100% retired from active MMA competition. I have enjoyed mixed success over the years and owe thanks to a whole host of different people, too many to name without fear of forgetting anyone.
I can not wait to take up 100% committed to my refereeing and coaching role in helping others. I will still obviously be teaching, training and compete actively with sub grappling.
From 18th October onwards I will be refereeing at UFC events and I am both deeply honoured and feel real achievement. Good things come to those who wait and the story of me being in before UFC 70 in Manchester to be decided at the last minute no now bears absolutely no significance. I am personally thrilled and can not wait to really get going.
I never said or set out to be the best 205lb fighter in the world but rest assured I will be setting my stall well and truly out to prove to be the best MMA ref in the world, this is something I know I can and will be without a doubt. Espacially now being granted the opportunity and honoured to be given the platform to do so.
This was confirmed for me a few weeks ago but it was always the intention to make Saturdays fight my last and hopefuly retire a champion, alas we all know what happened there and the fight not happening certainly does not matter now.
Even more good news is that I am not alone, as it was confirmed last week that my good friend Leon Roberts will be joining me as the second British representative as a referee. When ever I have been unable to make a show I have always asked Leon to step in for me and I think that he has proved just how good he is and I was so glad when I learned that the UFC had picked Leon too. I am both excited and thrilled for us both and we aim to show just what we are made of.
I have met some real gems in this game and will continue to do so no doubt i really look forward to the future and seeing you all out there and the stars of the game coming through as well as the sport developing here as it should.
Obviously in light of the weekends events I had wished to make this announcment in happier times but that just goes to show that you never know whats coming next, thats why I will be taking this opportunity with both firm hands !
Thankyou to all that wish me well and for those that may not I am sorry for the reason that may have not to, but as I said due to the weekends events may I kindly request that any negatives be refrained from here or at least hate on me via PM.
Sorry if i have been long winded. Love to you all, see you in the cage - peace, Marc."
Eddie Bravo: "The Game Has Changed"
"A lot of fighters wanted to sit in half guard and pound them and rain elbows, but never try and pass the guard.
When you have that kind of attitude, you're only going to get so far. Your game is going to be so limited and
you're going to win some and lose some; you're going to bat .500 and not get very far."
Johnny Rees replaces Luke Cummo at UFC Fight Night 16
Johnny Rees (10-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has agreed to replace Luke Cummo and will fight Steve Bruno (11-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at the Dec. 10 "UFC Fight Night 16: UFC Fights For the Troops" event.
MMAjunkie.com learned of the change over the weekend from a source close to Rees. The bout was first reported by fiveouncesofpain.com.
The event, which airs live on Spike TV and serves as a fundraiser for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, takes place in conjunction with the Fort Bragg military institution in North Carolina.
Petruzelli open to Kimbo Slice rematch
“If he ever wanted a rematch, I would 100 percent give it to him.”
– Elite XC’s “Rocky Balboa” Seth Petruzelli mentioned at the Elite XC post-fight press conference that he would gladly grant Kimbo Slice a rematch if that’s what he and the organization wanted. “The Silverback” stepped up on literally hours notice to fight Slice in the main event at Elite XC: “Heat” over the weekend when Ken Shamrock pulled out because of a cut just before showtime. At this point the long anticipated match between Slice and undefeated Team Bison member Brett “The Grim” Rogers is probably out of the question … at least for the time being. Therefore, a rematch with Petruzelli could be the most logical next step in the Kimbo Slice MMA experiment. Petruzelli added that he would definitely come into a rematch at least 20 pounds heavier than the 205.5 pounds he weighed in at for last night’s bout. Who would have thought we’d ever see Kimbo vs. Seth Petruzelli I, let alone part II?
Dumbest … robbers … ever
“… two gunman held [Lloyd] Irvin, his son, wife and UFC light heavyweight contender Brandon Vera at gun point while demanding to be directed towards valuables like cash or jewelry. While one gunman held Irvin’s family hostage, another gunman directed Irvin to the the master bedroom. According to Irvin, he led the gunman toward his bedroom. Once in the bedroom, Irvin said he noticed the other gunman was far enough away down the hall to make a move to disarm the attacker in his bedroom. Irvin, an expert in Sambo defensive gun and knife techniques, was able to get a hold of the gun in the attacker’s hands, first separating the clip from the gun and then removing the gun from the attacker’s hands. At that point, the attacker in Irvin’s room ran yelling to his accomplice that Irvin had his gun and both gunman fled the house…. Police were called to the scene and have launched an investigation. According to Irvin, no one in his family was physically hurt, although the psychological trauma at this point is considerable.”
St. Pierre Joins Beckham, Jeter In Mainstream
Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre has signed with CAA Sports, a division of Creative Arts Agency, one of the largest entertainment and sports agencies in the world.
CAA Sports will work with St. Pierre, alongside manager Shari Spencer, to help build new marketing and endorsement opportunities along with using the agency’s resources to create new endeavors in movies, television, licensing and digital media.
“Beyond being a fierce competitor and a tremendously skilled fighter, Georges St. Pierre’s class, integrity and humility also make him a terrific ambassador for the sport,” said Howard Nuchow, co-head, CAA Sports. “We look forward to creating opportunities for Georges that cross international borders and build upon his widespread appeal.”
CAA Sports is a world famous agency currently representing over 400 professional athletes, including the last five NFL MVP’s, and other sports superstars such as New York Yankee’s captain Derek Jeter, and international soccer player and celebrity David Beckham.
“CAA Sports is the best talent agency in the world and an ideal partner to guide the professional growth of the world’s best fighter,” Spencer commented. “Georges’ appeal transcends the Octagon and I am confident that together we can introduce Georges, and the entire sport of MMA, to a wider audience.”
The addition of St. Pierre to the growing roster of athletes at CAA Sports is a huge move for both the fighter and the entire MMA industry. CAA is an extremely recognizable company worldwide and their reach will expand St. Pierre’s marketability in many different areas that MMA hasn’t seen yet.
The significance of the signing of St. Pierre with CAA may not be seen on the surface to the average MMA fan, but in the long run the deal could be huge for both the fighter and the industry.
EliteXC Ratings are in...
I can tell you however that CBS did have higher expectations... As did pro-elite I'm sure.
Elite was hoping for at least one silver lining to what transpired last night...
The future of MMA on CBS is not looking real good...
Final Curtain for the Kimbo Show
I liked this one!!
"The legend of Kimbo Slice was built by beating bums in boat yards and back alleys not far from here. It came crashing down Saturday courtesy of a quick punch from a pink-haired journeyman giving up two inches in height, four in reach and 30 pounds in muscle and might.
One simple shot sent Slice to the canvas and from there some guy named Seth Petruzelli needed just 12 punches and 14 seconds to put an end (we hope) to one of the great sporting charades of all time.
It was just a matter of time before Kimbo got exposed. He was little more than a character out of central casting, a bunch of addictive YouTube videos and a lot of insane hype by CBS, which made him a headliner before he made himself a fighter."
The upside for Kimbo taking a fight vs. Petruzelli was financial
The second-guessing regarding last night’s decision to substitute Seth Petruzelli in place of a medically disqualified Ken Shamrock in the main event of EliteXC and CBS’ “Saturday Night Fights” has already begun.
The main question being raised is why did Kimbo accept the fight considering there was little upside?
Well, I believe there was an upside for Team Kimbo and it was likely financial. While speaking with sources at the post-fight press conference for the event, they indicated to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that Slice received a “substantial” increase over the guarantee he was scheduled to make vs. Shamrock.
For a guy who used to fight unknowns in backyards for only a few thousand dollars, accepting a fight vs. Petruzelli probably made a lot more sense once EliteXC made him a financial offer he likely couldn’t refuse.
Luke Cummo off UFN 16 card on Dec. 10 due to injury
Welterweight Luke Cummo has been forced to pull out of a planned Dec. 10 bout vs. Steve Bruno during UFC Fight Night 16: “UFC Fights for the Troops” in Fayetteville, North Carolina due to injury.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned of the development from a source close to one of the fighters last night. The source went on to add that Cummo’s spot on the show will be filled by Johnny Rees.
Rees, 10-1, made his UFC debut during UFC Fight Night 14 this past July, losing to fellow newcomer Nate Loughran due to a first round submission following a guillotine choke.
Bruno, 11-4, trains out of American Top Team in Florida and is coming off a loss in his UFC debut at UFC 87. Facing Chris Wilson, Bruno lost a unanimous decision.
EliteXC Heat - Results
Seth Petruzelli def. Kimbo Slice via TKO at 0:14 in round 1.
Jake Shields def. Paul Daley by submission at 3:47 of round 2.
Andrei Arlovski def. Roy Nelson by KO at 3:14 of round 2.
Gina Carano def. Kelly Kobald by unanimous decision.
Benji Radach def. Murilo Ninja Rua by TKO at 2:31 of round 2.
Cyborg Santos def. Yoko Takahashi by unanimous decision.
Conor Heun def. Edson Berto by TKO at 2:18 of round 2.
Mikey Gomez def. Lorenzo Borgomeo by submission at 4:06 of round 2.
Bryan Hamade def. David Gomez by submission at 2:03 of round 1.
Nicolae Cury def. Jorge Bouchat by submission at 1:35 of round 1.
Nice TD defense by the ref though.......
SHIELDS DEFENDS TITLE; CALLS FOR CHANCE AT 185
Up until Saturday night, Jake Shields made it his business to make good fighters look bad, but he seemed to have his toughest test to date when he faced and defeated British heavy hitter Paul Daley, to defend his EliteXC welterweight title for the first time.
The first two minutes of the fight worried a great number of Shields’ fans as he looked to strike with Daley, who is possibly the best striker at 170 pounds, but he hung around and eventually took the fight to the ground. Shields quickly moved to the mount and stayed there for almost the rest of the round, but Daley persevered and actually landed on top, landing some big elbows before the first five minutes came to a close.
In the second round, Shields looked winded as Daley started to go for bigger strikes, but before too long the fight was back down on the ground and Shields had the mount again. He had no intentions of giving up that position this time as Shields swiveled from mount into a tight armbar that gave Daley no way out and he submitted to the hold.
“Daley’s a phenomenal fighter; he gave me hell,” Shields said after the fight. “I haven’t been past the first round in about over a year. He gave me a hell of a fight so hats off to (Paul) Daley.”
ARLOSVKI MOVES TO 2-0 AGAINST IFL'S BEST
Following his exit from the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Andrei Arlosvki is now 2-0 against the best of the best of the IFL’s former heavyweights as he knocked out Roy Nelson at CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights.
The first round saw Arlovski deal with Nelson’s ground game as the Las Vegas native took the fight down and moved to side mount, but he couldn’t capitalize on the position.
It was apparent early on that Arlovski had a considerable speed advantage over his opponent, but Nelson stuck around with great heart and tenacity.
Nelson tried to employ a similar gameplan in the second round of the fight, pressing Arlovski against the cage, but he seemed to lose steam as time went on. A huge uppercut rocked Nelson. Arlovski followed that up with a big right hand that sent his opponent crashing to the mat, ending the fight.
Arlovski struggled at points against Nelson, but for the biggest parts of the fight he succeeded where he needed to and pulled off another impressive win over a top quality opponent in Roy Nelson.
Gina Carano is a Great Fighter
Gina Carano is one of the most criticized fighters among hardcore fans, and while there is no excuse for all the problems making weight, it's unfair to focus on that at the expense of her performances.
Tonight the difference between Gina Carano and Kimbo Slice was truly on display. Both were chosen as the faces of EliteXC, and both were given a lot of hype, but only one was able to deliver. Gina displayed much-improved takedown defense and excellent muay thai on her way to victory tonight over a much more experienced opponent in Kelly Kobald.
It seems like hardcore fans are always quick to dismiss her exciting and impressive performances in order to talk about her weight issues. Just 4 months ago almost everyone turned against Gina and predicted that Kaitlyn Young would destroy her, but it was Gina that picked Kaitlyn apart with ease. Then everyone that picked against her decided to just rip her for the weight issues after the fight.
If EliteXC survives long enough to put on Carano vs. Cyborg, I suspect we'll see a number of people predicting impending doom for the "overrated" Gina Carano. And then, if she beats Cyborg, people will just ignore the accomplishment. Hopefully they just fight at 145 so we can focus on the fight and not the weight.
Ken Shamrock Injured, Main Event Cancelled!!! *Update** Kimbo vs Petruzelli tonight. 100%
MMARated.com has learned that Ken Shamrock sustained a cut above his eye in the last 24 hours while training and WILL NOT be fighting in tonight's main event bout against Kimbo Slice.
EliteXC officials are scrambling to find a last minute replacement for Shamrock. We have heard that Frank Shamrock - who is calling the fight for CBS - offered to step in at the last minute but is ultimately not fighting. EliteXC has offered Slice Seth Petruzelli - who was scheduled to fight Aaron Rosa tonight. As of right now, Kimbo has yet to officially accept the fight.
UPDATE: We are now hearing that EliteXC officials may have found a doctor who may clear Shamrock tonight after all. EliteXC may be on the verge of dodging a bullet of epic proportions. Stay tuned...
UPDATE #2: They skipped the Petruzelli vs. Rosa fight. This might mean that Petruzelli is replacing Shamrock after all.
Update #3: Ken Shamrock has left the arena. He is not fighting tonight..
Ross "The Boss" Mason In Critical Condition
For those of you who don't know him, Ross is a British MMA fighter who has fought at Cage Rage many times, most recently against Scott Jansen and before that against Ross Pointin.
"Contrary to local radio news reports this morning which stated that Ross “The Boss” Mason had died after receiving stab wounds outside a Birmingham Nightclub; we can now announce that these reports were incorrect.
However we are able to confirm that Ross Mason was found in the early hours of this morning with serve head injuries and had initially died as he was taken to Alexandra Hospital in Redditch. However he was resuscitated at the Hospital and is presently in a critical condition in the ICU Unit.
Earlier today Marc Goddard was taken into an office at the Liverpool Olympia and was informed of Ross' death, due to these incorrect media reports. Goddard and his Management then decided he would not fight later tonight at Cage Gladiators, because he wanted to be with Ross' family as they are close personal friends.
Goddard was then taken back to Birmingham only to be told that Ross had not died but was in a "critical state" on a life support machine. This has only added to Marc's turmoil and it would be an understatement to say that his mind was not connected with fighting at this time.
Everybody at Warrior Promotions and Cage Warriors are deeply saddened by this incident and our thoughts are with Ross, his family and friends during this dreadful ordeal. We also hope he will be able to pull through this and make a full recovery."
Michael Bisping: "Anderson's Only Human, Anything Is Possible"
Although he has other business to take care of before such a fight could happen, Michael Bisping is already thinking, and talking, about an Anderson Silva fight. Bisping thinks his strong point, wrestling, could help him against Silva, who he thinks is a weak wrestler, and that Anderson is only human despite rumors to the contrary.