Denis Kang, Brock Larson and others released from their UFC contracts
Multiple sources report that the UFC brass has issued a latest batch of pink slips: The most high-profile castoff of the bunch is none other than the former top 10 middleweight, Denis Kang.
Kang recorded a remarkable 23-fight undefeated streak from 2003 to 2006 in such organizations as Pride FC and Spirit MC. Since then, he has dropped five of nine fights to opponents such as Kazuo Misaki, Yoshihiro Akiyama, and Gegard Mousasi.
As one of the most prized acquisitions by UFC this year, he has not lived up to the lofty hype: His UFC record stands at 1-2, with a decison win over Xavier Foupa-Pokam sandwiched between dispiring losses to Alan Belcher in his promotional debut and to Michael Bisping at UFC 105.
He is reportedly in talks with several promotions in the US and abroad. As devastating a cut from UFC roster may be for Kang, he has numerous options, such as following Dan Henderson to Strikeforce or going back to Japan where he made his name as one of the premier welterweights in Pride FC.
No Kimbo, no regrets for Coker and Strikeforce
You may think he sucks and a sham but Kimbo Slice has now proven over and over again that he's a fight promoter's dream. Both of Kimbo's fights on CBS did big numbers and he delivered over 11 millions viewers combined in his two UFC fights on Spike. So as Strikeforce slowly tries to put a dent in the UFC's massive market share of MMA, it must feel like it blew it on Kimbo, right? Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker didn't sound too upset during a conversation on Tuesday with Cagewriter:
Ultimate K-1 vs. MMA clash: Sadaharu Tanigawa wants Schilt and Overeem 'to defeat Fedor'
During the K-1 World Grand Prix 2009 post-fight press conference held on Sunday, Dec. 6, K-1 event producer, Sadaharu Tanigawa, hinted at the continuation of the "K-1 vs. MMA" clash that began in earnest with the Dynamite!! 2008.In the annual K-1/MMA hybrid fight card on New Year's Eve last year, MMA fighters accomplished a clean sweep of the K-1 squad in a series of matches contested under MMA and K-1 rules.In the MMA matches, Mirko Cro Cop chopped down the "Techno Goliath," Hong Man Choi, with leg kicks and Minowaman submitted the K-1 fighter and MMA debutant, Errol Zimmerman, in 61 seconds. Then, the MMA trio of Alistair Overeem, Gegard Mousasi, and Tatsuya Kawajiri stepped up to the K-1 turf to hand dispiriting losses to the proud K-1 vets, Badr Hari, Musashi and Kozo Takeda.
Aoki May Fight In Strikeforce As Soon As March
Shinya Aoki could make his Strikeforce debut in March, according to the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion’s CEO.Scott Coker on Monday told MMAWeekly.com that “dialogue was continuing” with Aoki’s camp and follow-up meetings were planned during a trip to Japan for Dynamite! Dream vs. Sengoku on New Year’s Eve."I do believe Aoki will probably be here fighting for Strikeforce in March sometime," he said.
Stephens-Lentz At UFN 20 Now Off
The injury bug returns with a vengeance. It's second victim today is Jeremy Stephens-his fight with Nik Lentz at UFN 20 in January is now off due to an injury suffered in training. No replacement named yet.
Olympic Wrestler Ben Askren Signs With Bellator
Ben Askren, the aspiring MMA fighter and former NCAA champion and Olympic wrestler, has signed with the Bellator Fighting Championships.
Askren will fight in Bellator's welterweight tournament, which begins in the spring as part of Bellator's new deal with Fox Sports Net. In a statement, Askren said he's excited about the Fox Sports deal.
"I like that my fights are going to broadcast nationally, I like the tournament-style format and I love the opportunity to be a part of something exciting and new," Askren said. "I plan on winning Bellator. My goal, as it always has been, is to be the best in the world."
Bellator Matchmaker Resigns
Matt Stansell, matchmaker for tournament-based fight promotion Bellator Fighting Championships, resigned his post on Monday.
Stansell and Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said the split was amicable, though Rebney said Tuesday that Stansell stopped working with the company two weeks ago.
“The simplest way to put it is, as companies evolve and grow, sometimes that growth is best for certain parties to stay together and sometimes that growth requires that certain parties split,” Rebney said. “At this point, it wasn’t the right fit as we continue to grow and expand.”
Carlos Condit injury forces cancellation of UFC 108 bout with Paul Daley
After weeks of searching for a main event for the first event of 2010, the UFC has now lost a planned co-feature bout for UFC 108.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from a source close to Carlos Condit (24-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) that the "Natural Born Killer" has suffered an injury in training and has been forced to withdraw from a main-card bout with British slugger Paul Daley (22-8-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC).
No word yet on whether the UFC will seek a replacement opponent for Daley at the Jan. 2 event.
Update on controversial UFC sponsor Hoelzer Reich
It was only a matter of time.
California-based Hoelzer Reich apparel company has been banned from sponsoring fighters at future UFC and WEC events.
WEC general manager Reed Harris expressed his personal concerns regarding the company's "German-themed" apparel on today's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), and the exec told Yahoo! Sports shortly after the interview that Zuffa, LLC, will no longer allow its athletes to wear Hoelzer Reich apparel into the cage at UFC or WEC events.
Interview with TUF 10 Winner Roy Nelson
Hello and welcome to MMA SUCKA!
Thanks for joining us Roy
Q. Congratulations on your wins on TUF, i personally enjoyed both fights and was wondering if you did actually count your punches against Kimbo?
No the commission actually told me it was 44 unanswered punches.
Q. Do you train with any members of this season of TUF still?
Mike wessel and Marcus Jones came out to train with me.
Q. Have you been suprised with the way your fights have panned out on TUF?
Jon Jones to Protest Loss To Matt Hamill
Jon should have been deducted a point for the accidental illegal blow. Matt should have been treated like we treat the Brazilians and given 5 minutes to regroup and offered a translator so the ref could make the right call and understand Matt could not continue due to his shoulder injury not the blow.This should be a NC for both fighters but not a loss. Hammil continued with an injured Shoulder and only complained once the action was stopped (warrior) but the fight was stopped based on the shoulder injury in our opinion.
TUF 10 Finale: 3.7 Million Viewers, 5.2 Million For Kimbo
Kimbo Slice still knows how to draw. The ratings for the TUF 10 Finale Saturday night are now out: 3.7 million viewers was the average for the entire broadcast, but the peak was 5.2 million for Kimbo vs. Houston Alexander. With the Finale ratings included, the final average for the season was 3.4 million viewers. The Finale was the most-watched Finale yet and #3 all-time for UFC.
UFC Announces Prelim Card For 109
Shortly after announcing the main card fights for UFC 109, UFC has now announced the prelim matches, which likely completes the card. 6 prelims are on tap for the event, with 2 new fights added today: Mac Danzig vs. Justin Buchholz and Tim Hague vs. Chris Tuchscherer.
UFC Announces PPV Card For UFC 109
UFC today announced the 5 fights that will make up the PPV portion of it's Super Bowl-weekend event, UFC 109. Dubbed "Relentless", the event iwll be headlined by Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman as well as Paulo Thiago vs. Josh Koscheck and perhaps a surprise add-Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Brandon Vera, among others.
WEC Definitely To PPV In 2010, DirecTV Sooner
During a radio appearance Monday night, WEC GM Reed Harris said big things are on the horizon. He's optimistic WEC will be back on DirecTV very soon, maybe even in time for WEC 45 on December 19, and WEC will absolutely be on PPV next year-just a matter of when. Harris says WEC is targeting mid-year for the first PPV, maybe sooner, depending on how the January card goes. Additionally, WEC will run a Saturday show in March during the annual Arnold Classic in Ohio.
UFC 108: Lauzon-Stout Promoted To PPV
Originally scheduled to be a prelim match at UFC 108, Joe Lauzon vs. Sam Stout has now been promoted to the PPV portion of the event. It becomes the 4th PPV fight for the 1/2 event, with the not-yet-announced Gilbert Yvel vs. Junior Dos Santos expected to round out the PPV, leaving 6 prelim matches on the undercard. This will be J-Lau's first fight since a torn ACL suffered earlier this year.
Kenny Florian has changed for Clay Guida
My body definitely has changed. I definitely am at my biggest and at my leanest.... I feel very, very strong. I feel I'm at my quickest, and I'm in tremendous shape right now.... We've really gone back to the basics. I feel like it's been a total rebirth, a total upgrade of what I've been doing.... I believe people are going to see even more of a change in the way that I look and fight from here on out. It's going to be more of a change than what it was after the Sherk fight.... He's one of those guys who's a survivor, and he's very, very tough. I have my work cut out for me. This is a great fight for me to get back on track. He's a very well-respected opponent, he's one of the best out there and that's who I want to fight. Those are only the people I want to fight."
-- Former two-time number one lightweight contender, Kenny Florian.