Trigg Dropped, Readded Over EA Video Game Involvement?
"The real reason Frank Trigg was dropped from his UFC contract and then quickly undropped? Dana White was furious when he found out Trigg was a part of the upcoming EA Sports MMA video game. White had decreed no one who had signed with EA, in competition with his own UFC games, would ever fight for his promotion. "
This explains a bit.
History and the Checkered Hero
"In the wake of his loss to Junior dos Santos, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic told the world that the places in his mind once filled with a focus on kicking opponents in the head had been replaced by thoughts of fishing in Privlaka.
Given the dismal turn the former K-1 standout's career has taken in the last two years, it comes as little surprise that he's thinking about calling it quits. Nonetheless, the stark and one-sided beating he took from the Brazilian heavyweight prospect last Saturday at UFC 103 has led to fans and pundits alike wondering how we came to this point, where MMA's formerly most feared striker has been relegated to a disappointing also-ran in a division he was supposed to reign over with impunity."
Is Condit Back on Track with a UFC Win?
"Former WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit has now officially nabbed his first win inside the Octagon. One of the prizes of the WEC, there was a lot of hype upon Condit’s original foray into the organization, when he headlined UFC Fight Night 18 this past April opposite of Xtreme Couture’s Martin Kampann, losing a close split-decision.
His most recent performance, another split-decision, this time in the New Mexico native’s favor, would prove to be one of Condit’s toughest test’s to date. He took on veteran Jake Ellenberger, whose list of victims read legend Jose Landi-Jons and UFC veterans Zach Light and Gil Castillo, all by way of knockout."
Bigfoot Silva in talks with the UFC
Brazilian heavyweight Antonio ‘Big Foot’ Silva (12-1) says he has received an offer of a contract from the UFC.
“I have a proposal from UFC but I have got to fight on Sep 23rd and there will be another fight left to accomplish my contract with Sengoku,” he told Brasil Combate. “Since the UFC wants exclusivity from the fighters I first need to finish up with Sengoku and after that I will study and see what is the best proposal over the table.”
'Big' John McCarthy "not surprised" at not getting NSAC license
Veteran referee ‘Big’ John McCarthy has revealed that he is not surprised that the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) has not yet awarded him a licence to officiate in Nevada. McCarthy applied for a license recently but the application has apparently been put on ice by the commission as part of a backlog of applications.
“I knew that was going to happen. I am not surprised at all,” said McCarthy today. He spoke to Fighters Only at Macau in China, where he is refereeing this weekend’s Art of War 14 event.
Cro Cop backtracks on retirement talk
Just hours after telling fans he was done fighting, Mirko ‘CroCop’ Filipovic appears to have done an about face and cancelled his retirement.
“Often things can get on top of you but I cannot say that I don’t love this sport,” he told Croatian newspaper Slobodna Dalmacija. “Its hard for me to decide now but I think that I will do these last two fights for UFC. This [fighting] thing is stronger than me. Sometimes the mind says yes but the heart says no.”
Frank Mir, Miguel Torres training at Sityodtong
Mark Dellagrotte’s MMA and Muay Thai school Sityodtong has picked up two big names in recent weeks, Fighters Only has learned.
Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir and former WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres are both heading to the Boston gym to work with the man regarded as having one of the best ‘Muay Thai for MMA’ systems in the sport.
Sengoku 10 Quoteworthy: A Black Belt in Intensity, Devoured Macadamia Nuts & Silva Wants Barnett
“You could consider me an employee of Sengoku. So Sengoku hires me to fight in their ring, and it’s up to them who they choose whoever I will fight. I'm going to rest a bit and then get back to training hard to fight other tough heavyweights. But if I have to name someone, I'd say Josh Barnett since I know he's a very strong opponent and is known to be a very good fighter.” -- Antonio Silva both not picking and picking his next fight
'TUF 10' ratings drop 29%
The second week of “The Ultimate Fighter 10” saw its ratings drop by 29 percent from its record-shattering debut last Thursday of 4.1 million viewers (2.9 household rating) on Spike TV.
However, the series still netted 2.9 million viewers (2.2 rating) and was the top-rated show in its timeslot for Men 18-34, according to a press release distributed by Spike TV Thursday.
Sefo says he's ready for MMA
Four years removed from his first try at mixed martial arts, Ray Sefo is ready to step back into the cage.
On Friday, the K-1 standout faces UFC veteran Kevin Jordan at the third installment of Strikeforce Challenger Series in Bixby, Okla.
Sefo flirted with the sport back in 2005 when he knocked out Min Soo Kim at Hero’s, the now-defunct MMA wing of the fight promotion. Early in his career, he tried professional boxing as well, earning a 5-1 record between kickboxing engagements.
Mike Swick chomps at the bit to get back in the welterweight mix
Top UFC welterweight contender Mike “Quick” Swick recently attended UFC 103: “Franklin vs. Belfort,” a card he was originally supposed to compete on opposite Martin Kampmann in a number one contender qualifier match; however, a concussion suffered during training forced Swick off the card. The injury prompted a late replacement in British welterweight prospect, Paul “Semtex” Daley, to make his UFC debut.
Strikeforce inks lightweight Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro to multi-fight deal
Strikeforce today added some depth to its lightweight division with the signing of Brazilian jiu-jitsu prodigy and MMA standout Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro (20-3).
Ribeiro, now based in New York City, has recently competed for the Japanese-based DREAM organization and has bounced between the U.S., U.K. and Japan throughout his career his eight-year career.
Texas product Will Campuzano replaces injured Akitoshi Tamura at WEC 43
One man's misfortune is another man's gain; look to WEC newcomer Will Campuzano as proof.
Campuzano (6-0 MMA, 0-0 WEC), a Dallas-based bantamweight, makes his WEC debut as a replacement for injured Akitoshi Tamura (14-7-2 MMA, 1-1 WEC) and meets Damacio Page (11-4 MMA, 2-1 WEC) next month at WEC 43 in Texas.
The move was first reported by Ariel Helwani of Versus.com, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed the change with a source close to the organization.
Rampage Jackson Authors New Post: "I'll Be Damned If Anybody Disrespects Me"
The reason why I'm talking about all this is that I feel like this whole situation could have been avoided if UFC would have respected me more & rescheduled the fight about a month or more in my hometown, which I know fights can be rescheduled because of the Matt Hughes & Matt Serra was postponed due to injuries. Instead, Dana went on the internet & started talking bad about my decision. All we had to do was come to a certain type of argreement or understanding, which later came after a lot of trash talk from Dana. My manager flew to Vegas & talked to them & tried to work things out like a MAN. & still I keep quite & I didn't talk trash back on the internet. The only reason why I'm even talking now is because I feel like I owe my fans an explanation because I am a MAN, a real MAN. Yeah I made good money with the UFC more than Pride, but I made both shows more money than they made me. I didn't care too much about Pride treating me like crap cause I was an American in a Japanese company. Now in my own country, I feel like I'm being disrepected. Everything is not about how much money you make. You could be the richest man in the world but if nobody repsects you then it don't mean ****. You can't buy respect. It should be earned. & thats what I'm all about.
"Punk" breaks leg again, targets Dec. 19 rematch
Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh “The Punk” Thomson has been quite unlucky this year.
Two weeks after a fractured leg forced the California State Athletic Commission to remove him from a highly anticipated rematch with interim champion Gilbert Melendez, Thomson re-broke the limb in practice.
Smith wants shot at Shamrock
Former EliteXC middleweight title challenger and UFC veteran Scott Smith plans to fight again soon, and he wants a crack at one of the Strikeforce promotion’s biggest names.
With the ink barely dry on his new six-fight contract, Smith has placed former Strikeforce middleweight champion Frank Shamrock in his crosshairs.
Did Dos Santos take away Cro Cop's appetite?
Heavyweight prospect Junior Dos Santos spoke with MMAWeekly.com after his career-making victory against Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic at UFC 103.
The soft-spoken 25-year-old insisted he wasn’t trying to beat the striker at his own game, but that’s what happened.
Filipovic appeared to wilt under the pressure of Dos Santos, leading many to believe he was not mentally prepared to face the up-and-comer. Dos Santos isn’t certain about such an idea; he felt his team, including heavyweight legend Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, had prepared him to give his best.
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Wants Brock Lesnar or Frank Mir Next
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira says he's ready to fight anytime, and hopes to fight for the title or avenge his most recent loss if he has his way.
"I want Brock Lesnar for sure," said Nogueira, who rebounded from a UFC 92 loss to Frank Mir by defeating Randy Couture by unanimous decision at UFC 102 in August. "I want to fight him. But I would fight Frank Mir also. That's my second choice."