Kimbo Slice: ‘I can’t just come with one dimension; I’ll get smashed’
As the mixed martial arts community prepares itself for the most anticipated season of the highly successful Ultimate Fighter series, much of the attention has been centered around one man.
The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights is set to begin airing on September 16 and will feature a bearded brawler that goes by the name of Kevin Ferguson, more commonly known as Kimbo Slice.
Eager to redeem himself in the fight game following his fourteen second embarrassment at the hands of Seth Petruzelli in October of 2008, Kimbo threw the masses for a curve ball when it was recently announced that he would be part of the upcoming heavyweight TUF cast
Personally the more I hear about Kimbo post Elite XC especially recently the more respect I have gained for him...I wish him the best of luck
Jake Shields calls out Cung Le, Frank Shamrock
Jake Shields (23-4-1) is considered to be one of the top welterweights in the world, however that may end soon as the former EliteXC Welterweight Champion may be moving up to middleweight. As we reported last month, Strikeforce is expected to introduce an interim middleweight championship as the current champion, Cung Le, is busy with his movie career, and Shields is expected to be in the title mix. Shields recently spoke with Rod Moyer of FightLine.com on a variety of topics including Cung Le, his friendship with Nick Diaz, his rivalry with Frank Shamrock and much more....
What do you guys think of this? I think Jake Shields would do pretty good at middleweight. I am a fan of Jake Shields and he has 2 fights left on his contract with Strikeforce. I think if he wins both those fights, wins the middleweight title, UFC should definetely try and sign him.
Rich Franklin in Las Vegas to discuss new UFC deal, UFC 103 slot "still likely"
Rich Franklin is currently in Las Vegas to discuss a new contract with the UFC, and the first fight of the deal could be for a main-event bout at UFC 103.
The news comes from MMAjunkie.com's Dann Stupp, who posted the update in the Dayton Daily News MMA blog.
According to the report, Franklin, who has one fight remaining on his current deal, is meeting one-on-one with UFC president Dana White about the contract, which could be the final one of his career.
First Sengoku 10 Participants Revealed
World Victory Road recently revealed the first participants for what will be it's Sengoku 10 event on September 23. The names include Antonio Silva, Joe Doerksen and Ryan Schultz, but no opponents are set for any of them yet.
Dana White explains Cro Cop situation
After his first round stoppage of Mustapha Al Turk, Mirko Cro Cop was rumored to be departing the UFC for the Japanese based Dream Promotion. Upon hearing the news, UFC President Dana White exploded on the 2006 Pride Grand Prix Champion.
“Isn’t that a dirty (expletive) thing to do?” White said. “He (expletive) me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he (expletive) me.”
Randy Couture Wants Another Shot at Brock Lesnar, Has a Game Plan
UFC President Dana White has said the winner of the UFC 104 battle between Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez is likely to be Brock Lesnar's next opponent. But I think if Randy Couture beats Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 102, a rematch between Couture and Lesnar might be too big for the UFC to pass up. And Couture says that's a fight he wants and a fight he thinks he can win.
"I would absolutely like another shot at Brock," Couture said on ESPN Radio 1100. "I think the first fight was going my way. I thought I had things moving and was doing the things I had trained to do."
Antonio Silva, Joe Doerksen and Ryan Schultz announced for Sengoku 10th Battle event
A trio of former stars from U.S.-based promotions has been announced for World Victory Road's Sengoku 10th Battle event.
Final EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva (12-1), final IFL lightweight champion Ryan Schultz (20-11-1) and former UFC fighter Joe Doerksen (42-12) have been confirmed for the event, though no opponents were announced.
Sengoku 10th Battle takes place Sept. 23 at the Saitama Community Arena in Tokyo, Japan.
The event is expected to air in North American in HDNet.
Yushin Okami vs. Chael Sonnen middleweight bout set for UFC 104 in Los Angeles
A middleweight bout between long, longtime contender Yushin Okami (23-4 MMA, 7-1 UFC) and Chael Sonnen (23-10-1 MMA, 2-3 UFC) is set for UFC 104.
The bout was revealed on the recently launched UFC Japan website.
UFC 104 takes place Oct. 24 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and features a main event between UFC light heavyweight champ Lyoto Machida and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. The Okami vs. Sonnen bout will likely take place on the night's pay-per-view-televised main card.
Bitetti Combat: Jeff Monson vs Pedro Rizzo in the works for Sept. 12
A heavyweight battle between stocky grappling guru Jeff “The Snowman” Monson (30-8) and former WVC heavyweight champion Pedro Rizzo (16-9) is in the works for “Bitetti Combat” from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on September 12, according to Super Lutas.
The titanic tilt is actually a rematch from their September 2007 fight at “Art of War 3? from the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas. Rizzo dropped Monson midway through the third with a series of punches for what has turned out to be his only victory in his last three fights.
Urijah Faber Has 'No Idea' When He'll Be Ready for WEC Return
All around the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas during UFC 100 weekend, MMA fighters could be seen signing autographs for adoring throngs of fans. It all seemed pretty routine: smile, shake, sign, pose. But one thing was different about the Silver Star booth. The athlete putting his pen to paper there was doing so despite having casts on both of his hands.
COTE INJURY UPDATE; WELCOMES HENDERSON FIGHT
MMAWeekly on Thursday caught up with former middleweight contender Patrick Cote to get an update on his injured knee and get his thoughts about last Saturday’s UFC 100. Prior to the centennial show, the 29 year-old Montreal resident wanted to fight Michael Bisping if he emerged victorious against Dan Henderson. Obviously, that’s changed.
MMAWeekly: How’s the knee?
Cote: The knee’s doing well. I’m going to see my doctor next week, just to check if everything’s okay and to have the okay to push more. Next week I’ll be fixed for sure.
SHOGUN SAYS PATIENCE IS KEY TO BEATING MACHIDA
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua hopes to turn light heavyweight champ Lyoto Machida’s greatest attribute – timing – against him when the two square off at UFC 104 in October.
It’s the first 25-minute fight in Rua’s career, five minutes longer than his battles in the days of Pride. But that’s not a bad thing.
“I get very happy with that, because when you get to the first five-rounder of your career, it means you’re fighting for the belt,” he told MMAWeekly.com backstage at UFC 100. “I take it as a great thing. I always wanted to train for five rounds.”
Tom Lawlor says UFC 100 performance – in and out of the octagon – a sign of things to come
UFC middleweight Tom Lawlor (6-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) had a good night this past Saturday.
And while the Nevada State Athletic Commission reported Lawlor made $16,000 for his 55-second submission win over C.B. Dollaway at UFC 100 – not to mention the $100,000 he received for the evening's "Submission of the Night" – Lawlor recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) it was a third payment that had him truly excited.
Cope says "sex tape" comments just a joke, remains steadfast in evaluation of Tompkins
While UFC 100 was certainly the focus of the MMA world in recent weeks, Kit Cope managed to generate quite a bit of controversy during a July 8 appearance on MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).
After a few less-than-complimentary remarks about Xtreme Couture trainer Shawn Tompkins – including dubbing the camp "Xtreme Fashion" – and the suggestion that a sex tape may exist with him and ex-girlfriend Gina Carano, Cope has found himself in hot water with many in the MMA community.
BOBBY LASHLEY: "My sights are set on Brock Lesnar."
“I’m not going to say anything bad on Brock, because Brock is doing all the right things, [but] my sights are set on Brock. I’m not saying I want to fight him because he’s ‘the wrestling guy.’ I’m saying it because I am a heavyweight fighter and he’s the champ.”
DREAM 10: Paulo Filho and Melvin Manhoef Seek Redemption
In non-Grand Prix action on July 20th's DREAM 10 card, heavy-handed Dutch K-1 kickboxer Melvin Manhoef (23-5) will battle it out in the MMA ring against Brazilian jiu-jitsu powerhouse Paulo Filho (16-1). Both middleweights are coming off stunning losses. Filho fell to Chael Sonnen at WEC 36 after failing to make weight and having mental health issues. Manhoef was upset by Keijiro Maeda at the K-1 World GP 2009 leg in Yokohama, Japan. Manhoef managed to fight a month-and-a-half later on the "It's SHOWTIME" card in Amsterdam, but he was being outstruck by Stefan Leko until Leko hurt his leg in the third round. Manhoef escaped with the victory.
Roger Gracie Off 8/15 Strikeforce Event
Despite recent reports to the contrary, Roger Gracie recently announced he is off the 8/15 Strikeforce event that was to have been his US debut. A recent report from GracieMag says Gracie has been unable to rest and train due to caring for his 3-year-old son. SF says they hoped to have Gracie on the event but bout agreements were never in place.