‘McLovin’ it: Dustin Hazelett UFC 91 interview
Dustin “McLovin” Hazelett (11-4) has been steadily climbing the ranks in the UFC since his Octagon debut back in October 2006.
The newly awarded Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Jorge Gurgel has gone 4-2 for the promotion and looked impressive in his wins over Jonathan Goulet (22-9) and Josh Burkman (18-8), and even in his loss to Josh Koscheck (11-3), where the submission master showed significantly improved standup skills.
But it was his most recent win over Burkman that earned him the most attention. As the first man to actually finish Burkman since Jon Fitch did it way back at Ultimate Fight Night 4 in April 2006, Hazelett took home both the “Submission of the Night” and “Fight of the Night” honors, along with $40,000 in bonus bucks.
At just 22 years old, Hazelett is looking to make another splash this Saturday at UFC 91: “Couture vs. Lesnar,” where he’ll take on Tamdan “The Barn Cat” McCrory (9-1), who is also 22 years old.
Big Fights, Big Plans
"Ticket sales have been great. Listen, right now, I don’t care how big you are or you small you are, everybody’s feeling this economic crunch. Major corporations that have been around before we were alive are hurting right now and in fear of going out of business. Our business is in a really good place right now. We did great on ticket sales, I’m predicting right now, even with this economic crunch, the biggest pay-per-view in UFC history."
Such was the opening salvo of the president of one of the fastest growing sports entities in the world, Dana White, the head of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Dana White: UFC 91's Florian vs. Stevenson winner gets title shot
LAS VEGAS -- Although largely expected, Kenny Florian was surely happy to learn that his UFC 91 co-main event fight with Joe Stevenson will earn the winner a guaranteed title shot. For real this time.
UFC President Dana White promised the winner a shot at B.J. Penn's lightweight belt during today's UFC 91 press conference in the main lobby of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Kinda quick for Joe if you ask me.
Fighting Father Time
America’s athletic battlefields are littered with good-intentioned men who stuck around too long in their chosen sport, their eroding physical skills rendering them incapable of recapturing the glory of day’s gone by. Remember Michael Jordan in a Washington Wizards uniform? Muhammad Ali and Evander Holyfield also spring to mind.
Though his legacy and place in the mixed martial arts pantheon are secure, Randy Couture does not want his name added to the list.
Boxing on Kimbo’s Mind, Manager Addresses Auction
Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson has a hankering to try boxing, he told host Dan Le Batard on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket Wednesday.
“I’m thinking about boxing as well,” said the Internet legend turned MMA fighter. “Boxing is wide open right now. I want to do it all.”
Ferguson’s revelation didn’t come with any news of a fight on the horizon, though he said he’d like to return to MMA competition by February.
The interview marked Ferguson’s first since his lackluster 14-second TKO loss at the hands of last-minute replacement Seth Petruzelli on Oct. 4.
Sherdog.com's Guide to TUF 8
“Why is this happening?”
Not sure exactly who said it, but this week one of the contestants finally vocalized what all of America is thinking about this season of TUF. I’ll get to what brought us to this point in just a minute. Last week Dave Kaplan took the wrong approach and got dismantled by Phillipe Nover. This week it was time for the light heavyweight bracket to be set as Kyle Kingsbury and Krzysztof Soszynski were the last two to fight.
“You’d be surprised at how many people and who I’ve made tap on my table,” said the doctor as he worked on Soszynski’s injured hand.
Kaplan and Tom Lawlor decided to get some drinking in for the ubiquitous post-loss celebration. Kaplan and his freshly blackened eye took down shot after shot until shot until statements like, “UFC, keep having me back because I cannot be knocked out,” began to emerge. Kaplan and company kept drinking until things escalated to the point that they were drinking each other’s urine...
Werdum Still In UFC
In my contract I still have more four fights which go until 2010. By the chronogram that they passed to me, I must fight in February, July, November and April of 2010. In fact, I am moving to United States because of the trainings with Rafael Cordeiro, aiming at UFC”, said Werdum, who is in Brazil setting the last details for his changing to United States even in December.
Bisping: 'Marquadt Could Be Other TUF 9 Coach'
Nathan Marquardt could be the man that opposes Mike Bisping when the Brit captains the UK team in series 9 of The Ultimate Fighter.
UFC president Dana White said prior to UFC 89 that the US coach would likely be Dan Henderson or Rich Franklin.
But in an interview with Fighters Only Magazine yesterday, Bisping said Nate Marquardt may also be in the picture.
“Well, I’ve heard a rumour that it could be Nate Marquardt instead. To be honest, I’d be honoured to fight any of them,” the British middleweight said.
Nogueira vs. Matyushenko to headline Jan. 24 Affliction undercard on HDNet
A light heavyweight tilt between veterans Vladimir Matyushenko and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira will headline HDNet’s special pre-PPV telecast of Affliction’s undercard on Jan. 24, according to a report by Josh Gross of SI.com.
The telecast will serve as a prelude to Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” pay-per-view telecast that will be headlined by WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko defending his title against former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski.
Matyushenko, 21-3, was the first and only light heavyweight champion of the International Fight League and is scheduled to compete for the first time since a second round TKO over Jamal Patterson during the IFL’s April event in East Rutherford, N.J.
A former UFC veteran, Matyushenko has won eight consecutive fights and was 6-0 during his two-year IFL stint, which marked his return to full-time competition.
Joe 'Daddy' Not The Underdog At UFC 91
Joe Stevenson and Kenny Florian's UFC 91 lightweight bout has a heavyweight load of implications in the Ultimate Fighting Championship's 155-pound division. Florian appeared to be the No. 1 contender after defeating Roger Huerta at UFC 87, but accepted a fight with Top 10 ranked Joe Stevenson rather than wait for an opportunity against UFC lightweight titleholder B.J. Penn. Stevenson spoke with MMAWeekly.com about the match-up, his training and the role of underdog giving him extra motivation.
"This is definitely the fight I was looking for," said Stevenson. "It's an awesome fight to have at this point in time. I'm actually really excited about it. I start reading the Internet and you read things about, like, I'm looked at as an underdog on websites. It's so upsetting. I just can't stand it. I'm literally upset about it. And I never get upset, so I've been taking this seriously."
WEC Adds 2 More Bantamweights To Ranks For WEC 37
WEC has signed 2 more Bantamweight contenders to bolster its ranks, Joseph Benavidez & Danny Martinez, who will face each other at WEC 37. Benavidez recently fought in DREAM and was to have faced Kid Yamamoto before injury scrapped that bout, while Martinez is a former Rage In The Cage Bantamweight Champion.
Medical Beat: The truth about MMA supplements and energy potions
Do you ever wonder about some of the claims made by all of these advertisement s on TV and the Internet – specifically these "potions" that claim "significant weight loss and "explosive performance," as well as energy boosters/shots/drinks and the like.
My grandmother (may God rest her soul) used to think that information could not be printed in the newspaper if it weren't true. She believed that someone must be checking these "facts" before they were loosed on the far-too-trusting public.
Frank Mir can ‘crush’ Antonio Rodrigo ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira
“I’m 200 times the athlete that he is. I can jump higher, run faster, move quicker, move longer — anything we do that I know just as well as he does I’m going to crush him.”
– Former heavyweight champion Frank Mir compares his athletic ability to that of Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira after losing the coaches challenge on the latest episode of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) on Spike TV. “Big Nog” scored more goals in a soccer challenge, winning his team members $1,000 each. Mir was clearly upset about the result. He’ll have his chance at redemption in the main event at UFC 92: “The Ultimate 2008? on December 27 when the two Brazilian jiu-jitsu specialists battle for the division title on New Year’s Eve weekend.
Macdonald Vs Gouveia At TUF8 Finale
Jason MacDonald will return to action on Dec. 13 as a part of "The Ultimate Fighter” season finale to take on American Top Team fighter Wilson Gouveia in a middleweight match-up. The fight will be a part of the televised broadcast featuring the finalists in the light heavyweight and lightweight divisions of the eighth season of the Spike TV reality show.
MacDonald’s manager, Mark Pavelich, confirmed the fight during an appearance on MMAWeekly Radio on Wednesday night.
Currently sporting a 5-3 record in the Octagon, MacDonald has always been seen as one of the toughest match-ups in the all of the 185-pound division. With a very dangerous ground game and a rapidly developing stand-up arsenal, the Canadian has been in the cage with some of the best fighters the division has to offer.
Kimbo Slice's First Interview Since Loss
Today former EliteXC fighter and internet street fighting legend Kimbo Slice had his first interview since his October 4th loss to journeyman Seth Petruzelli. Kimbo, who's real name is Kevin Ferguson, was supposed to fight MMA legend Ken Shamrock on October 4th at the EliteXC: Heat event but that fight was canceled at the very last second due to a cut above the eye of Ken Shamrock sustained during training.
Wary to scratch the main event, Kimbo, from the card completely EliteXC approached undercard fighter Seth Petruzelli and asked him to fight Kimbo in the main event of the night. EliteXC entised Petruzelli by bumping up his show purse and they even added in some not so legal incentives. The mayhem that ensued from the end of the fight (StandGate, the exposure of EliteXC's biggest cashcow and the astronomical debt ProElite was in) led to the meteoric downfall of EliteXC and parent company ProElite. Since losing just about everyone has been talking about the event, about the loss or about the controversy behind the fight.
That is, all except Kimbo. Kimbo has been M.I.A since his loss but today he made his first public interview since the embarrassing loss on The Dan Le Batard Show on South Florida's 790 The Ticket.
Antonio Silva to Sign With Sengoku, Flout Suspension and Fight January 4
Tatame.com is reporting (in Portuguese, translation via Google):
Suspended by the athletic committee of the United States on charges of doping, Antonio (Silva) can not fight in America before July 28, 2009, when it was terminating the suspension. After losing in the courts of the athletic commission, also saw the EliteXC, an event in which Silva was heavyweight champion, close the doors. With that the athlete had to get out of ATT demand for a new home, which has everything to be in Japan "I'm negotiating my way to Japan The Sengoku made me an offer to fight on January 4 and we are seeing that, "said Peza, who is entering the common justice against the athletic commission.
Pretty garbled, but the gist is clear. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva is considering violating his California suspension and fighting in Japan as early as January.