Josh Barnett receives second extension for CSAC steroid appeal
Affliction Grim Reaper and former PRIDE star Josh Barnett has applied for — and received — a second extension for his appeal directed towards the ruling of the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) after he was popped for steroids in a random drug test prior to his August 1 bout against Fedor Emelianenko, according to Sherdog.com.
“The Babyface Assassin” returned a positive “B” sample on July 31, all but confirming his initial test result that began a downward spiral for his employer and fellow fighters.
Barnett’s positive test led to Affliction MMA’s house of cards to come crashing down, calling it quits as a fight promoter and returning to the UFC as a corporate sponsor with its clothing brand. Several intriguing fights were scrapped as a result, forcing fighters to search for work elsewhere … Barnett included.
The former UFC Heavyweight champion issued a press release last month, calling into question the integrity of those results alleged by the CSAC — who does have a fairly sordid history dating back to the Sean Sherk scandal and beyond.
From his official press release:
Mr. Barnett was shocked at these allegations and was extremely disappointed to learn that Affliction had made the hasty decision to cancel the August 1st event in its entirety. Mr. Barnett vehemently denies intentionally ingesting any banned substances in preparation for the August 1st fight and he is looking forward to presenting his case to the California State Athletic Commission.
Barnett is appealing this most recent steroid finding with the CSAC but was likely counting on his second “B” sample to help dispute the initial positive result.
In light of this new development, Barnett will not be eligible to reapply for a license to fight in the United States for at least a year, forcing him to remain exiled in Japan until then. With a FieLDS Dynamite!! card looming and a successful wrestling career; however, it may not be too difficult to find work.
For Kimbo Slice, It's All About the Fight
Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson was famous before signing on for the Spike TV reality show “The Ultimate Fighter.” He headlined fight cards on CBS and was paid high-end money for a mixed martial arts athlete. He had little to gain from going on TUF outside of respect and an opportunity to compete in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
“It was a good experience,” Kimbo told TapouT Radio about his reality television experience. “It was an amazing sacrifice for me.”
With the addition of Kimbo, The Ultimate Fighter 10 has seen record ratings. During his bout with Roy Nelson on episode three of this season 6.1 million viewers tuned in to see Nelson defeat Ferguson by TKO in the second round. Kimbo attributes his popularity to fans being able to relate to him.
Stann vs. Wallace, Hallman vs. Howard, Bocek vs. Veach all official for TUF 10 Finale
As "The Ultimate Fighter 10: Heavyweights" continues on toward the final two competitors, the season's live finale is beginning to take shape.
The UFC today announced three previously reported contests for the preliminary card, and Brian Stann vs. Rodney Wallace, Dennis Hallman vs. John Howard and Mark Bocek vs. Matt Veach are all now official for The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale.
The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale is scheduled for Dec. 5 at The Palms Casino & Resort in Las Vegas.
Stann (7-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) looks to build on a unanimous-decision win over Steve Cantwell at UFC Fight Night 19 in September. The win gave Stann a 2-1 win in his trilogy with Cantwell and gave "All American" his first win in the UFC.
Quinton Jackson "Ashamed" Of "A******s"
And of course he commits potential career suicide in the process because said bad words were directed towards UFC. He was voicing his opinion of the events of UFC 104, in particular the main event and the judges. He also says he won't return until UFC hires new, more competent judges. Which means never because UFC doesn't choose judges-the state athletic commissions or organizations overseeing MMA do.
Sometimes The Strategy Doesn't Work
And that was the case for Lyoto Machida Saturday night. In discussing his UFC 104 win over Mauricio Rua, Machida says he was 100% and kept looking for openings to finish the fight, but didn't get them. So as he says, the strategy doesn't always work exactly like you planned it to.
Paulo Thiago Possibly Meeting Jakob Volkmann At UFC 106
After being left without a fight due to UFC breaking up a fight between the promotion's 2 Thiagos, there are now reports that Paulo Thiago-pulled from a planned Thiago Alves fight in favor of Jon Fitch-could now face newcomer Jakob Volkmann at UFC 106. Volkmann, a 10-0 fighter who trains at Minnesota MMA with the Brocks and Sean Sherk, is a 3-time NCAA D-1 All-American wrestler who most recently was victorious in a fight for Bellator FC in May.
Joe Stevenson Struck Oil Against Spencer Fisher At UFC 104
Joe Stevenson gives MMA Fanhouse the people’s eyebrow when talking about the condition of opponent Spencer Fisher at UFC 104 last Saturday night from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. “Daddy” forced referee Herb Dean to stop the bout in the second round after “King” Fisher was busted open and taking too many undefended elbows. After the fight, the former TUF champ felt like Fisher added a little extra something to his training regimen that apparently had little impact on the outcome of the fight. He thought Fisher was especially slippery, like maybe he took a bath, used lotion...or even garlic.
MFC Strips & Releases Champion Trevor Prangley
A surprise move was made Sunday night by Canada's Maximum Fighting Championships (MFC) promotion-their Light Heavyweight Champion, Trevor Prangley, was stripped of the title and released. Sunday night’s press release explained, “The move was required when Prangley violated his contract by signing with two smaller organizations while under contract with the MFC. Prangley’s management was informed of the violation after the first offense, but Prangley agreed to fight again outside of the MFC in blatant disregard of his signed exclusive contact.” Prangley claims he got a bit of a run-around from MFC management/ownership.
Dana White: "I think there will be a rematch" between Lyoto Machida and Shogun Rua
by John Morgan on Oct 25, 2009 at 5:05 am ET
LOS ANGELES – Never one to bite his tongue, UFC president Dana White didn't take long to express his feelings on the main event of Saturday night's "UFC 104: Machida vs. Shogun" in Los Angeles.
"I thought 'Shogun' won the fight," White said as UFC 104's post-fight press conference opened.
White was just as displeased as most fans in attendance at Staples Center, as well as the majority of viewers at home, that champion Lyoto Machida was awarded a unanimous-decision win over challenger Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. But unlike the rest of those complaining, White can schedule a rematch – and it looks like he will.
Machida, Rua Agree to 'Immediate Rematch'
In a night where discrepancy won out, there was one thing UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, and UFC president Dana White could all agree upon: a rematch between the two Brazilians, who came to blows at UFC 104 Saturday in Los Angeles, is in order.
Machida earned a unanimous decision over Rua in a cerebral tug-of-war that saw both give and take damage in controlled bursts through five rounds.
Judges Cecil Peoples and Marcos Rosales both awarded Machida the first three rounds and gave Rua the final two. Judge Nelson “Doc” Hamilton scored rounds one and five for Rua, but gave Machida the middle rounds. Scores were united at 48-47 in Machida’s favor.
Gauging by reaction, it seemed a majority of the crowd inside the Staples Center, as well as fans watching the live pay-per-view, disagreed with the final tallies. Internet boards swelled with reaction for Rua minutes after the decision was read.
Rua did better than anyone has ever fared against the karate-bred Machida, who’d never dropped a round in the UFC until Saturday. An aggressive, impulsive striker in the past, the one-time Pride grand prix champion reigned in his arsenal and was especially effective with a right body kick, which marked up Machida’s side and seemed to stifle his explosive counter-attacks.
“I thought ‘Shogun’ won the fight,” said White at the post-fight press conference.
White said he’d scored rounds one, four, and five for Rua and that the promotion already planned to schedule an “immediate rematch.” White added that he’d already gotten verbal commitments from both fighters.
UFN 20: Escudero Now Facing Dunham
After being pulled form his scheduled UFC Fight Night 20 fight with Nik Lentz for still-unknown reasons, it now appears Efrain Escudero will face Evan Dunham at UFN 20 instead. Lentz is now facing Jeremy Stephens.
Martin Kampmann vs. Rory Markham targeted for January's UFC 108 in Las Vegas
A potential slugfest is currently in the works for UFC 108 as Martin Kampmann (15-3 MMA, 6-2 UFC) and Rory Markham (16-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) have been targeted for a welterweight contest at the event.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that both fighters have verbally agreed to the contest, though bout agreements have yet to be signed.
While the UFC has yet to officially announce the event, UFC 108 is expected to take place Jan. 2 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Lyle Beerbohm inks multi-fight deal with Strikeforce
Undefeated prospect Lyle Beerbohm (13-0) has inked a multi-year deal with Strikeforce.
"Fancy Pants" has already fought twice for the organization in his two-and-a-half year career, but now Beerbohm is set to make appearances on a more frequent basis.
"I'm glad the negotiation process is over, and now it's time to focus 100 percent on training and fighting," Beerbohm told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm excited to move forward. By the end of 2010, I will be the Strikeforce lightweight champion."
Paulo Filho Out of Dream.12
In another setback for a talented but troubled MMA fighter, former World Extreme Cagefighting middleweight champion Paulo Filho is off Sunday's Dream 12 card.
Filho, who a couple of years ago was widely regarded as the No. 2 middleweight in the world, has been removed from the official Dream.12 fight card. Dream has not made any official announcement, but MMArocks.pl is reporting that Filho didn't show up in Japan for his scheduled fight with Dong Sik Yoon, and that Tarec Saffiedine will now fight Dong instead.
* UPDATE *
DREAM pulls Paulo Filho from Sunday's DREAM.12 card, manager says fighter "OK"
The ongoing drama of Paulo Filho's recent fight career began a new chapter earlier today after officials pulled the former WEC champ from Sunday's DREAM.12 card and claimed they can't located the fighter.
Filho (18-1) was slated to fight Yoon Dong Sik (4-7) at the event, which takes place Oct. 25 at Osaka Castle Hall in Osaka, Japan.
Ed Soares, who represents Filho, today confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fighter won't compete on the card but declined to go into details. However, he wanted to reassure fans that Filho "is OK."
Almeida explains Fitch fight cancellation
“My knee popped during training at Renzo (Gracie’s) this week and right away I knew it wasn't good. (I) got an MRI and the results were a sprained and partially torn MCL and a tear also of my meniscus.
“(I) went to an orthopedist, who has treated many pro athletes from hockey through baseball and football here in the tri-state area, (and) we discussed surgery, but he said that (the) MCL tends to heal pretty well. (As a result of his diagnosis) I will be wearing a brace and doing physical therapy three times a week over the next four weeks.
“I was really scared about possibly having to sit out 6 months or more, so I'm stoked I don't have to go through surgery and a long rehabilitation period. My goal is to be back training in four weeks and hopefully fighting again late February or March.
“It is heartbreaking to have to pull out of such a big fight. I hate to leave the fans hanging and the UFC scratching to find a replacement. I was really looking forward to this fight.”