Tachi Palace Fights adds Joe Soto vs. Mike Christensen at debut event on Oct. 8
The soon-to-debut Tachi Palace Fights organization recently announced that undefeated Bellator featherweight champ Joe Soto (7-0) would appear on its first-ever card on Oct. 8 in Lemoore, Calif.
Now organization officials have found an opponent for "The Hammer."
Soto meets Californian prospect Mike Christensen (4-0) on the evening's main card, which takes place outdoors at Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino.
Kimbo Slice Hints At December UFC Debut
Oops? It appears that in a recent media call, Kimbo Slice revealed a little too much about his future plans. When Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press asked Kimbo if he would be fighting at UFC 107 on December 12, Kimbo said "Yes, I can't comment on that one now".
Can Pat Barry defeat his old training buddy?
UFC heavyweight Pat Barry learned the hard way that there’s no substitute for experience.
“It was very apparent that (grappling) wasn’t second nature to me,” the UFC heavyweight tells MMAWeekly.com. “In a (stand-up) fight, if I got stunned, I would naturally throw jabs on punches until I came back. I’m not a wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy so when I get stung... doing anything on the ground is not something that’s natural to me.”
UFC Prospect Duffee Contemplating West Coast Move
UFC heavyweight Todd Duffee is touring a number of MMA gyms in Las Vegas this week, as the 23-year-old was recently accepted into the University of Nevada-Las Vegas for its spring 2010 semester beginning in January.
Duffee, who gained attention for his seven-second knockout of Tim Hague at UFC 102 on Aug. 29 in Portland, Ore., said he booked the trip “on a whim” after receiving his acceptance letter late last week. He emphasized that his relationship with American Top Team, whom he trains with in Coconut Creek, Fla., remains strong.
Henderson "just wants what he deserves"
Dan Henderson’s team expect that he will reach an accommodation with the UFC at some point - they just don’t know when.
A Team Quest source told Fighters Only today that contract negotiations between Henderson and the organisation “are ongoing”. Recent reports that the two sides differ widely on certain issues are not necessarily inaccurate, the source says, but the parties are “sure it will all get worked out eventually”.
Semtex Daley wants Hughes: "I am like a ***** hitman"
Fresh from his rapid KO win over Martin Kampmann at UFC 103, Paul ‘Semtex’ Daley has compared himself to a ***** hitman and says he will fight anybody the UFC puts in front of him. However, if it were up to him, he would fight former welterweight champion Matt Hughes next.
“I want to fight Hughes, firstly because he's a legend and second he's former welterweight champion. He has a win over the current welterweight champion, and he has all the skills to exploit my weaknesses that the media and my ‘fans’ so often talk about,” Daley told Fighters Only today.
Paulo Thiago not worrying about Alves fight
Paulo Thiago says he is not concerned about facing Thiago Alves at UFC 107 later this year, despite the Brazilian representing his third consecutive weltweweight contender opponent since joining the UFC. A Brazilian himself, Paulo has faced Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch and now Thiago Alves in his three UFC outings, possibly the toughest welcome anyone has had to the premier league of MMA.
“I believe in my will, dedication and hard training. The sun rises for everyone. We are aware of the difficulty of a fight like this, but the difficulty is the same as the wind that blows on all sides, including his,” he told leading Brazilian MMA site Brasil Combate.
Rickson not sure if Belfort is ready for Anderson title fight
Rickson Gracie believes that Vitor Belfort is not ready to face Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title after having just one fight in the organisation since he returned to it. Belfort blitzed former middleweight champion Rich Franklin in the first round of their fight at UFC 103 but Gracie believes that fight was too short to have made Belfort comfortable in the Octagon again.
Huerta: 'Maybe God saved my arm'
'It is well known that UFC lightweight Roger Huerta is strongly devoted to his Christian faith, but according to him the relationship goes both ways.
Huerta was recently on the receiving end of a horrifically far-gone kimura attempt at the hands of Gray Maynard, who told the referee the arm was about to break. But Huerta held on and managed to escape the hold, despite the incredible pain.
"Maybe it was just the adrenaline, or maybe it was God protecting my arm," Huerta told MMA Fanhouse. "I'll tell you this much: When he did start cranking it, I said, 'If it goes, it goes.' Even if it did break, I wouldn't tap. I thought, 'I'm not tapping. I'm finishing this fight.’”
Jay Hieron wants the Strikeforce belt - is Nick Diaz ready to step up?
“I really, really want my next fight to be for a title. I’ve worked my butt off and I feel I really deserve a title shot. That’s why I signed with Strikeforce to get a title shot. I could have went straight to the UFC. They were offering the same money, but at the end of the day, I wanted to pursue my dream of becoming a world champion and the quickest way to do that was Strikeforce. Like I said, I would like my next shot to be for the title; if not against Diaz, then against somebody else. I can’t wait for this guy nor can I control what he does. It is what it is man. I just want my title shot and what I signed with these guys for. I don’t want to keep fighting these non-title fights because that’s not what I came here for. I fought my last fight and I proved myself and now we have to sit at the table and see what’s going on. Hopefully Nick Diaz can get his **** together and we can get out there and mix it up. I think that’s a great fight, not just for me and him, but for the fans too.”
Former IFL standout Jay Hieron tells the gang over at FightHype.com that he’s ready for the Strikeforce welterweight title — which is the lone reason he signed with the San Jose-based promotion.
Tim Sylvia has surgery, plans new year's return
Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia finally got back on track, defeating Jason Riley recently at Adrenaline MMA 4 in Council Bluffs, Iowa. But just as quickly, he was derailed.
Bouncing back from the first three-fight skid of his career, Sylvia broke his right hand in the fight with Riley, taking him out of a possible bout fighting in Dream’s new hexagon cage on Oct. 25 in Japan.
Former Chute Boxe Trainer Helping Prepare Rogers for Fedor
Former Chute Boxe Academy striking trainer Sérgio Cunha has been enlisted to coach Brett Rogers in his Nov. 7 bid against the world’s No. 1 heavyweight, Fedor Emelianenko, at Strikeforce “Fedor vs. Rogers.”
Cunha has relocated to Minneapolis with his wife and children for three months to work with the undefeated Rogers. The muay Thai instructor is impressed with the progress thus far.
Dana White Delivers for NYC Fans, Talks 'TUF' Superfight and Respecting Kimbo
Late Monday night, Dana White tweeted that he would be handing out free tickets to UFC 104 at a Pinkberry in midtown Manhattan. Several minutes before his expected arrival, I decided to check out the scene, fully expecting there to be 10 to 15 people hanging outside. Not so.
When I arrived there were at least 50 people anxiously waiting for White, and when he showed up 30 minutes later, there were at least 100 people outside, along with two police officers. Without hesitation, White promised every single person there a free ticket to UFC 104 in Los Angeles. FanHouse then briefly spoke to White while he was enjoying his frozen yogurt about Wednesday's much-anticipated edition of The Ultimate Fighter featuring Kimbo Slice vs. Roy Nelson. The interview is below.
Herschel Walker challenges Dana White to fight, forgets to plug Strikeforce on ESPN2
To the casual sports fan, Herschel Walker's appearance on today's edition of "ESPN First Take" was probably a bit confusing.
On ESPN2's daily morning sports show, the 47-year-old NFL veteran championed mixed martial arts and made some boastful claims about his talent level – but forgot to mention a single time that he had been signed by Strikeforce.
Instead, the conversation mostly focused on the UFC and Walker's open challenge to fight company president Dana White.
Liddell, St.Pierre, Evans Among Six Initial Figures Round 5 UFC Series
Its landmark marketing partnership freshly in place, Round 5 is pleased to announce the members of the first series of collectible figurines under the UFC brand, a group of six accomplished fighters, as announced today by Barron Lau, Round 5 CEO and co-founder and Damon Lau, president and co-founder. Figurines for stars Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell, George “Rush” St. Pierre, “Suga” Rashad
Evans, Kenny “KenFlo” Florian, Clay “The Carpenter” Guida and Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida are scheduled to be available at retail and at www.Round5MMA.com early next year.
The six collectibles will be presented in a new UFC-themed packaging that includes action photos of each respective fighter’s memorable moments as well as a short biography.
“These six athletes provide a strong, varied base for our first UFC series,” said Damon Lau. “There are established champions like Chuck Liddell and George St. Pierre, popular up-and comers like Rashad Evans and Kenny Florian and guys like Clay Guida and Lyoto Machida who have loyal, growing followings.”
“We think fans will really connect to these collectibles through their detail and the enhanced packaging,” said Barron Lau. “We want them to feel that by owning a Round 5 figurine, they, in a sense, own a piece of that fighter.”
The issuance of UFC Series 1 signals the discontinuation of the previous Round 5 Series. The remaining inventory from the 17 figurines issued in the previous four Series under that brand will continue to be available while supplies last. Limited editions and other special versions of the UFC Series 1 athletes are also in the planning stages.
Santiago waits for an opponent
Without fighting MMA since January, when he won his ninth victory in a roll, the Brazilian Jorge Santiago flew to Barcelona, Spain, to fight the ADCC, but he was eliminated on the first fight. “The invitation to ADCC came on the last week, but was part of my train, was really good to get the rhythm, some adrenaline, because I don’t fight since January“, said, talking with TATAME.com.
Dan Hardy and Mike Swick On the Same Page
“I like Mike, he’s a top bloke. We did a PR tour of Germany together earlier in the year and we got on very well. He’s a fun guy, good company and I really respect him for all the charity work he does with the Troops. It was funny, we kept joking that we were hanging out, playing X-Box, watching movies and stuff on this tour bus together in Germany for a week and yet would probably be fighting each other someday. That day is about five weeks away now, and I am sorry, Mike, but I’m still going to deliver one hell of a beating at UFC 105 — the kind of beating which will be very uncomfortable viewing for every other welterweight in the UFC. Mike’s been around for longer than I have in the UFC, but his best win is over Marcus Davis, like with me, but even though he got a unanimous decision I feel I beat Marcus worse than he did.”