Rousimar Palhares hungry to fight Linhares
“It’s really better now. I’m gonna train a lot, do my best to do a show to the Brazilian fans. I’m training for that and I’ll do it”, guarantees the Brazilian Top Team fighter. With a great game in BJJ, “Toquinho” doesn’t expect a ground fight. “I don’t know, the level is very high in the MMA today, so I only know that he’ll be prepared and so do I, and we’re gonna do a great fight”.
Michael Bisping: Don’t ‘Count’ me out after one bad night
Fighting is different than other sports because you’re not competing as regularly. If a football player has a bad game, he’s allowed to do that because he plays once or twice a week. With fighting, it’s once every few months. So if you have a bad night, it gets built up. It’s not like my career is in shatters. I’m 18-2. The two guys I’ve lost to are former champions. There’s no shame in that. I do feel pressure in wanting to come back and perform, but it’s not like I’m finished as some people seem to think. It’s going to take more than one loss for me to hang up my gloves; that’s for sure.”
Report: Sengoku Raiden Championships Event On 12/31 Off
Reports surfaced late yesterday indicating that World Victory Road’s “Sengoku Raiden Championship” New Year’s Eve supershow at Tokyo’s Ariake Coliseum has been canceled for Dec. 31. The news comes on the heel of WVR’s decision to call off a press conference regarding the NYE event. The announcements regarding the highly anticipated television contract that WVR has been working to secure to broadcast the event would have been the highlight of the conference.
No details have been released, thus stoking the suspicion that WVR may have been unable to land the broadcast deal. The Tokyo Sports newspaper reports WVR will now work with FEG and participate on the Fields Dynamite!! event on 12/31.
St. Pierre eyes Hardy-Swick winner
Updated: November 11, 2009, 8:53 AM ET
By Neil Davidson
Special to ESPN.com
A healthy Georges St. Pierre will be cage-side at UFC 105 in Manchester, England, when Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy and Mike "Quick" Swick go at it in the co-main event.
"Apparently, I will probably fight the winner of this fight, so I'm going to be watching it very carefully," St. Pierre, the UFC welterweight champion, said cheerfully.
The Canadian has pretty much cleaned out the upper tier of the 170-pound division. The Swick-Hardy winner is touted as the best of the rest.
We're All Human: Fedor Critiques Rogers Fight
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
by Sherdog.com Staff
Those lucky enough to attend the Paradise Warrior Retreat Center luncheon Sunday in Hoffman Estates, Ill., following Saturday’s Strikeforce/M-1 Global “Fedor vs. Rogers” got a real treat.
Fedor Emelianenko watched his seven-minute bout with Brett Rogers for the first time and broke down his thoughts on his performance through his interpreter.
Here are some highlights:
Renzo Gracie to Fight Matt Hughes at UFC 109
Heavy.com has confirmed with sources close to the UFC that a welterweight matchup between Renzo Gracie and Matt Hughes is in the works for UFC 109 in February.
Gracie, 42, last appeared in a February 2007 disqualification victory over Frank Shamrock. Rumors have circulated over the last month that the legendary Gracie family member has been in negotiations with the UFC. Both fighters have been approached about the fight, but bout agreements have not been signed.
Soszynski On The Mend,Seeks Dellagrotte
UFC light heavyweight Krzysztof Soszynski underwent surgery last month for elbow damage sustained in his fight with Brandon Vera at UFC 102.
Vera won the fight by unanimous decision by outworking Soszynski in the stand-up game, though the Team Quest fighter never stopped coming forward.
The 32-year-old Soszynski had 11 bone spurs removed from his right elbow as a result of Vera’s kicks.
“From what the doctor said, every time he kicked me, a bone spur popped off my right elbow,” he said. “The tip of the elbow was chipped off completely.”
Randy Couture reveals why he dropped to 205 pounds
Speaking last week via the telephone from his base in Las Vegas, Nevada, Randy said:
“It was more about opportunity. I think I’ve competed with those bigger guys and been doing just fine. Obviously it will be nice to be back with guys my own size and not have to deal with the disparaging weight difference and size difference. It eliminates some of those strategic situations you don’t want to get in with guys that big. The opportunity arose to compete back at 205 pounds, there’s some interesting fights there. The heavyweight division is getting deeper, there’s Velasquez, Carwin and Lesnar and a lot of other guys that aren’t just big heavyweights, they’re very good fighters and good athletes so all around it makes sense for me to be at 205 right now.”
Denis Kang says UFC 105 bout with Bisping "almost like a free fight for me"
Eleven-year veteran Denis Kang (32-11-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) knows that, and he displayed his grit with an April win over Xavier Foupa-Pokam after suffering a frustrating loss to Alan Belcher in January.
Now Kang travels to England to see how Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) will rebound from a devastating July defeat to Dan Henderson, and the middleweight believes the Brit's mindset may very well be a key factor in the fight.
The two meet on the main card of the Spike TV-broadcast "UFC 105: Couture vs. Vera" event.
Cristiane Cyborg: “It’ll be hard to take this belt from me“
“I knew that she would be my next opponent”, revealed Cris, happy with the opportunities that came after the conquest on Strikeforce. “The opportunities are raising, even on the event, I have more visibility, and people recognize me on the street, they’re are supporting my work... I got the belt and now it’s gonna be hard to take it away from me”, guarantees the Chute Boxe athlete, who talked about the trainings with Tito Ortiz on United States, the next fight of her husband, Evangelista Cyborg, at the same event, and the future: "I see myself in the UFC". Stay tuned and check tomorrow the chat with the champion.
Cro Cop Fires Boxing Coach, Makes Drastic Camp Changes
Mirko "Cro Cop Filipovic has dropped long-time boxing trainer Marjan Zizanovic and is said to have "drastically" changed the way he'll approach his next fight. The news comes courtesy of Croatian website Index.hr.
Filipovic (25-7-2) is coming off of another difficult UFC loss, this time against Junior dos Santos at UFC 103, pushing his overall UFC record to a pedestrian 2-3. The skid has left many questioning whether the legendary 35-year-old's age has caught up with him.
Stefan Struve replaces Todd Duffee, meets Paul Buentello on UFC 107 main card
With Todd Duffee (5-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) off the card due to injury, UFC rookie Stefan Struve (18-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) has been tapped as a replacement and meets Paul Buentello (27-10 MMA, 3-1 UFC) next month at UFC 107.
Despite the loss of Duffee, who posted the fastest knockout in UFC history during his promotional debut in August, Buentello vs. Struve remains on the televised main card.
UFC 107 takes place Dec. 12 at the FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn., and airs on pay-per-view.
Buentello, whose Aug. 1 fight with Gilbert Yvel was scratched due to the promotional demise of "Affliction: Entertainment," returns to the UFC for the first time since his TKO victory over the late Gilbert Aldana at UFC 57 in 2006. Buentello suffered a loss to then-champ Andrei Arlovski in his previous bout and then left the organization after rebounding for the win over Aldana.
Arona injures knee; surgery is a possibility
"I’m coming from the doctor now, deciding what to do with my knee. I’ll have to stop for a while, maybe I’ll have to make a surgery... If I’ll make the surgery, will be for now“, said the though guy, explaining how did he get hurt. “I had a serious injury that got worse during the fight, when my foot got stucked on the grid. It was the only thing that went wrong and caused a lot of trouble“, said the ex Pride’s fighter, who was rated to sign with Strikeforce. “I couldn’t close any contracts because of that“, finished.
Kazuo Misaki Leaves Grabaka Gym
Kazuo Misaki is the "Grabaka Hitman" no more.
In a brief letter faxed to multiple media outlets on Sunday, the Japanese middleweight announced his departure from the Tokyo-based gym where he's spent the duration of nine-year MMA career. Misaki added that he intends to "start from scratch," though he didn't elaborate on future plans for training, nor a timeframe for his return to the ring.
Coker: Fedor could be out for 4-6 months
The Russian heavyweight hurt his left hand during his fight with Brett Rogers on Saturday night and will most likely require surgery.
“It could've been from that blow when he had Brett on the mat at the end," Coker told the LA Times. "We're hearing he could be out for four to six months."
Jerry Millen: "If I get the opportunity just to punch Dana White in the face once in the cage, he could whip my ass. Pay me $50,000 that I give to charity, I'd still do it. Just one shot to punch him in the mouth."
"In the meeting, Dana says to Fedor 'oh, you're the best fighter in the world, we'd love to have you.' And Fedor says to him 'yeah, I hear and read on the internet what you have to say about me everyday.' And then Dana's like 'I'm just a promoter. I'm just trying to sell tickets. I just want to sell tickets.' And Fedor said 'that's what makes you and I different.' [Fedor] just wants respect and to be treated fairly."
M-1 exec Jerry Millen: Fedor Emelianenko will fight Brock Lesnar for free
"If these guys in the UFC truly wanted to fight Fedor, they'd find a way," Millen recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "Come to his training camp. Come to Stary Oskol, and we'll do three, five-minute rounds in the ring or the cage. We'll do it for fun.
"If you really want to fight him for competition, and it's not about the money for the guys in the UFC, then tell Brock Lesnar to jump his ass on a plane, take a train, and come to Stary Oskol. If these guys really want to fight Fedor, then come to Stary Oskol and lets get it on there for no money."